Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    Thanks
    yeeaaaah page 10!!!

andrew: wow thanks for that! definitely helped. you always seem to have great ref sources and yeah, i was thinking of that piece by hannes when i was doing those, but mostly had ukitakumuki in mind

photo study from today. focusing on color, especially temperature. this one was hard. the light greenish grey color on her butt was actually purple! *_* learned a lot
    Attachment 1227890

did a lot more today, but cant post it yet.

also, i havent forgotten i was going to write about my thoughts on stuff lately, i just havent gotten around to it. ill probably do it tomorrow....maybe

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    great blending on her ass and that sculpture looks fantastic, I might try to make one myself. might be time consuming, but it looks fun, and a lot of progress is being made in here. i'm excited for you!
    ...the imperfections make it interesting...

[sketchbook] [deviantart]

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dope Fiend For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,447 Times in 748 Posts
    Wow, great colour and rendering on the last one. I think I even recognize the photo haha, is it from kindgirls.com? Maybe try to polish one completely instead of just rendering part of it.
    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,154 Posts
    this last study is super
    but i'm gonna critique this post
    - this is not a good way to scribble, not meaning to offend in any way, i mean. ugh, it's not like your doing it wrong- there is not right way- its just like, if you get an idea down like this, no matter how good or how bad the composition is you can't read it well, look back on it in a week and think like 'wait.. waht?' like bad handwriting, you can't read one of those notes..
    and also, which is more apparent in more of your work, your painting with too much opacity (i dont know how to word it, more like, your leaving your brush strokes like they are cut out pieces of cellophane, rather than paint) to be blunt, it's not pretty.;
    this last one is nice, i already told you that, that is one of the best asses ive seen in a while (link me the ref?! >: D just kidding hehe) but it lacks cleaness, it looks like you see how someone like algen handles color and edge quality- this is good! but most importantly, look at how how he makes EVERY brush stroke count, i to am guilty of carelessly painting strokes..
    and also you need to define every shapes even if its in the bg you dont just carelessly throw it in like *stroke stroke done* you look at the image, analyze the shape and paint it in, dont let the brush do the work - make the brush do what you want.
    Lance, your doing great and you impress me, i want to help you get better than algenpfleger

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ryan mcshane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Helloooo lancer! You have a very impressive sketchbook and you're a hard worker. Your environments and studies are very inspiring.
    The portraits and such made me just google up a bunch of ref images I'm going to paint! Woo!

Keep up ze good work!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mila For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Dope Fiend: thanks! and if you want to make a sculpture like that, you can order popsicle sticks from Blick's art stores online in boxes of 1000. one box for like $7.50, pretty good deal. this was like 930 sticks all together and took about 10-12 hours. and i definitely recommend using hot glue cuz it dries seriously about 20x faster than say, Elmer's glue.

andrew: nope, i think it was ftv or something. haha pr0n :3 and yeah, i just got kinda tired of that one and wanted to move on. ill for sure finish the next one i do though.

ryanoir: thanks a bunch for the crit, i needed it. i agree with you 100%. brush strokes and that "scribbliness" are things thatve always given me problems. ive definitely taken your advice to heart and am gonna focus more on that stuff. soon...ish...ill get to it eventually lol

Mila: thanks a bunch!

ok so today i worked on a new illustration thing im doing in honor of joining Zombies Guns 'n Swords. its got zombies, and lets see, guns, and oo swords!....well, just one of each. aaanyway its super huge and im taking forever trying to lay everything down before i start painting. takin a note from good ol' algenpfleger and trying to plan everything first so i dont have to figure everything out later. i dont wanna post anything until i at least have the line work done. hopefully thats tomorrow. for now, heres my brain dump ive been promising.

ANOTHER ART TALK THING:

ill try to make this one shorter. no promises though
    lets see, where to start? well, to begin with, lately ive been feeling like ive been improving a lot faster than before. this is weird cuz i havent been doing nearly as much art as i was a few months ago. i took some time to think about why that is, and i realized i was approaching things a lot differently. a lot of that has to do with my method of doing studies. before, i was trying to do everything at once because there was just SO much i had to learn. and there still is. but what i figured out and what i think everyone should at least try, is to slow down, take a breath and realize that you cant learn everything at once. i found that it is much more beneficial to tackle things one at a time rather than all at once. the reason this is is because when you try to do many different things, you never really focus on anything in particular and nothing really sticks. when you focus on one thing at a time, you can much better analyze what is going on and get a much better understanding of what you are studying than if you were trying to learn twenty different things. the value studies i did taught me that. just from doing 4 or 5 quick paintings (10-45mins ea), i gained a much better understanding of value and was able to immediately apply that to my other paintings.
    another thing ive noticed has been helping me a lot and ive only just begun to understand is to not just to copy what you see or even analyze it, but to deconstruct the subject and try to build it back up on your own. what i mean by this is to take the subject and make it your own. add in a little color variation; exaggerate muscles; simplify textures but still make them read; the list keeps going. doing this will give you a much better understanding of what you are drawing/painting and make you able to reproduce it from imagination in far less studies than it would take if you were just mindlessly copying things. ive been doing this lately, along with visually analyzing things as i draw/paint them, so even if i cant get in every little detail, i still retain a little bit of information without even doing anything. dont just look at things as you paint them, understand them. doing all this has really helped me translate my studies to my stuff from imagination lately, hence the quick improvement.
    another thing i want to touch on because its been a thing with me lately as im sure it has with other people, is about taking breaks. when i first started this sketchbook, for the most part when i didnt get any drawing done in any given day i would be apalled! i would be pissed at myself if i didnt feel like doing art. i pushed through it anyway; which dont get me wrong is a very important thing to do, but i dont think i got anything out of the studies or scribbles i did when my heart just wasnt in it. art is something (in my opinion) anyway) that you should enjoy. sure, there are things that can be boring like studying anatomy or rendering out things, but the result from doing those things is enjoyable, be it improvement or a kick ass painting. either way, with art, i find it much better to go with the flow, and not to try and force it out. if youre having trouble finding the inspiration to keep working, take a breather. take a couple days off. play some videogames, go rock climbing, join an international baking competition - whatever you like to do, just live life for a while. youll want to come back to your tablet after a while. of course, there are times when you should push through (especially when there are deadlines involved!), but we're all people, we need some time for ourselves too. if "time for yourself" means locking yourself in your cave doing art only coming out to pee and make mom fix you up a sandwich, well then more power to ya, youll get better that much faster. but thats not everybody, so just go at your own pace. i youre feeling down because you feel like youll never get as good as you want to be, dont worry. you will, you just have to keep at it. need i remind everybody of hannes' and MindCandyMan's progress? "Keep doing art and you'll eventually get where you want to be; how quickly you get there is up to you." but, like i said earlier, dont go crazy in a mad scramble to learn everything. take it one thing at a time. if you keep your head clear about it and accept the fact that you wont get as good as mullins or hannes or all those other crazy people in a day, youll improve faster and wont ever be dissapointed in your current ability.

phew! well, its long as all hell again, but hopefully its all useful stuff. haha im honestly thinking about writing a book about all this when i get good enough at art. anyway, cheers everybody, and good luck on whatever you all wanna do (im in a cheery mood) ill have some actual art up tomorrow
    Last edited by lancer_idenoure; May 17th, 2011 at 10:56 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lancer_idenoure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    meh didnt get any work on that zombie thing done today. thought id put it up anyway. im trying out the process that algenpfleger's been doing recently. i did the pokemon like that and i liked how that turned out, figured id try it again with something a little...more ambitious...this is killing me
    started off with a rough sketch just trying to get the composition and everything layed out:
    Attachment 1229287

then laid down some rough, shitty colors. i wanted some green in there but i fucked that up hardcore :/ ill have to start over when i block in everything later.
    Attachment 1229288

now putting down the finished lines. ive restarted the robot over about 4 times and redrawn the girl's pose like 15 *_* i feel like this is gonna be something ill be working on all summer.....
    Attachment 1229289

oh, and a ruanjia study. brush strokes! bout 25-30 mins
    Attachment 1229290

Thanks
    Stunning colour and tones!!! You are one talented artist!
    - BLOG - ------------------ - Sketchbook - ------------------ - deviantART -
    "It's nothing really, all in a days work for us bicycle repair men"

15. The Following User Says Thank You to shambok For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey Lance! Thanks for your long comments about art! That's what I learned for myself in the last months. I just sat here, had like zero motivation but I forced myself for anatomy studies etc. Now it's pretty much easier to lay down some 'good' work. Because I fell very much more powerful since I do not compare myself to other guys, too. The main idea is often "Oh Hannes is SO good in so less time and you sit here and do only two pieces of paper with studies? you dumb idiot! you'll never get as good as him this way"

Now I am a lot better concentrated at work, but when I look back to my first things in my SB here I can see a lot improvement. And that's what everytime helps to get out of a hole of no motivation.

Anyway keep it on dude and sorry for my english. It isn't my native language.
    -------------------------
    The face study is very good and the butcher piece is becoming good, too. I know the difficults of things like that, It's hard sometimes when you feel you didn't nail that girl (haha) and have to draw her until everything is nailed.

- Flo
    Last edited by Charmer; May 11th, 2011 at 05:04 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Charmer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You have a very cool sketchbook all the way through! I'll definitely check back.

I really enjoyed your latest art talk too. Some very true things in there I think. Some things I'm just learning myself! Thanks!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikHolfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    shambok: thanks man. talents not everything though. thats why i still suck hehe

TRAP!: i know what you mean. thanks. and i understood it fine

eekolite: thanks for droppin by. and im glad that talk thing helps someone

ugh, sorry for being inactive most of this week. ive been pretty distracted lately. i need to get my shit together.
    and the guy who promised me a job back in like february flaked out on me. and didnt tell me....>.< so im looking for a job now. all the studios out here are really huge names, so im kinda intimidated, but hopefully i can land an internship somewhere.

anyway, heres some progress on that last piece. just been messing around tweaking things here and there and wasting a lot of time. finally getting some direction.

*edit* aaand the attachment manager's crappin out on me. damn. ill post stuff tomorrow.
    Last edited by lancer_idenoure; May 16th, 2011 at 01:41 PM.

Thanks
    heres that zombie thing. switched up the background and color scheme and its looking closer to what i had imagined. still got a lot to work out before i start painting :/
    Attachment 1233501

been cleaning/rearranging my room all day. all i did was some poop sketch pages. illtry to get pictures of them soon. my anatomy has gone to shit....i really need to get it in gear

Thanks
    update on the zombie piece. i have no. idea. what im doing. ive never drawn an interior in my life haha. other than that i kinda like where its going. once i figure everything out (which ive been saying for a week) i can start making some real progress. i dont want to just jump in not knowing what im doing...which is probably going to happen anyway.......
    Attachment 1235292

i have some other stuff ive been doing, but its secret! (and also shitty) i shall be back later!

Thanks
    I love how you did the lighting on the robot in in the back. :]

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Mila For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 706 Posts
    I like your ramble! I think the difficult and important thing is to knock away that voice telling you to do something in a certain way because 'thats how it is'.
    I like what you wrote about not feeling to study or drawing, it's important to listen to that feeling and find a way to still get things done. If you don't feel like drawing, look at art or read books about it or look around in the world.
    What I tend to forget is that studies come in different forms, not only copying a piece or doing anatomy. Studying is a choice, where ever you look you can observe and learn something about light, color or value.

I've got some notes on the Ruan Jia study.
    -watch his brushwork. You're not really "sculpting" it like he does. Try to use harder brushes, especially a hard square brush instead of round.
    -contrast, squint at your piece and notice the bigger shapes. Compare it to his and you'll see you haven't worked the light in the face enough.
    -colors, your colors lack some of the warmth he has. There's a "greengray" hue in his armor that should be more towards the red. The purples and oranges in the face need more chroma.

Keep it up lancer, you're studying good. Thinking is a big part of that too and you seem to do a lot of that as well

26. The Following User Says Thank You to DefiledVisions For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Bookmarked.

You're awesome .

Ah, I want to ask you something, Lancer

I'm new and now I want to start drawing, but first I think I need to do some training on posemaniacs. I can see that you practiced on this so much and I wonder where you got so many gestures and draw it out ? All of it are from imagination ? Could you give me some advices for practicing on posemaniacs ?

btw thanks you for your ANOTHER ART TALK THING, it's so useful and help me understand a lot.
    Last edited by Dream_er; May 20th, 2011 at 12:39 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Dream_er For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mila: thanks! im glad that looks halfway decent so far....ill probably screw it up later D:

DV: glad to hear from you thanks for that crit. hes so good i wanna cry! that one was a bit rushed, but i definitely need to work on the things you pointed out. especially brush strokes. cheers man, see you in COW!

Dream_er: thx! well, for starting out i would say brush up on your basic drawing skills. like drawing things from observation. if you go back to page 5 i think it is, i have another "art talk thing" where i talk about that. i would say definitely study anatomy and still draw from imagination and everything, but i think the most important part when starting out is to work on being able to draw/paint accurately from reference. if you get all the shapes/colors/tones right from observation, then youre learning much more than if you got those things wrong at first. im not really sure where your skill level is at the moment, but id suggest for a while to prioritize drawing/painting from reference. anything really, just so long as you try to get it accurate. not sure if that helps or not. i hope so! thanks for stopping by.

been working on COW, among other things. i actually started a lot of paintings over the last several days, but stopped like 1-2 hours in cuz they looked like poop! i need to stop doing that and get in the habit of finishing things O_o

anyway, heres the COW piece so far:

Attachment 1236213
    Attachment 1236216

......my brush strokes are absolute shit.
    its actually been bothering me quite a bit lately. i finally got around to clearing out my brush library. went from like 2000 brushes and cut down to about 50....yeah. over the next week or so im going to be experimenting around with them, and ill probably end up making a few of my own. i noticed that when i do oil painting, im a lot more suggestive with my strokes than with digital. i think its because i have a lot more control over the shape of the stroke. so my goal is to find something i can be more confident with. blah....

happy painting, people!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to lancer_idenoure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,271 Times in 919 Posts
    nice seeing yourarrrrgh even though we didn't sketch much lmao

ASDFASDFL;KJ YEEEEEAAARRR

32. The Following User Says Thank You to a la bapsi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    keep it up with the creatures and rendering! love how you show your process within your work ( thus making it self reflexive ).. excited to see more!
    Talent and Creativity are yours to use and keep

[S K E T C H B O O K]

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Odayga For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    baps: YYEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! ps, blue pens are awesome :3

Odayga: thank'ee ma'am

ok, kinda big art dump. not all since the last post, but about half of it...ish

sketches:
    Attachment 1240143Attachment 1240144
    Attachment 1240145Attachment 1240146

need to learn anatomiez!!! these more detailed ones help sooo much more than my faster ones. quality over quantity! now if only i could do quality AND quantity.....
    Attachment 1240148Attachment 1240149
    Attachment 1240150Attachment 1240151

some jaime jones studies. that guys so good!
    Attachment 1240152
    trying to break it down more:
    Attachment 1240153Attachment 1240154

tried redoing an old piece. got about an hour in and realized how stupid it was *_*
    Attachment 1240155

another old piece i picked up. only reason it looks halfway decent is cuz i spent all day on it. there were so many things i had to fix haha. at least being able to see those mistakes shows me im improving. still not done....but almost!
    Attachment 1240156

I never got around to finishing that COW. i wouldve had to do 2 more, and after those dog studies, i saw so many flaws in the anatomy i didnt want to look at it anymore haha. ill try to redo it from scratch after i brush up on that.

just got a bunch of animal books from the library, so expcect more anatomy studies soon!

and yeah, i know i always WRITE WAY TOO DAMN MUCH, haha sorry guys. i try not to, it just happens. anyway, till next time!
    Last edited by lancer_idenoure; June 9th, 2011 at 03:57 AM.

Thanks
    Well, i though "so being shy and post!"

So here i am. I think you evolve a lot, particularly with colors. When i see your drawings, i can see strong atmospheres inside them. And even if the anatomony if strange sometimes (like the lips on the last portrait for example), the result is "cool" because you've put good colors/light. And, well, when i see your old pencils, i must say, you've evolved a lot ! They are more natural, like them !
    I'm a bit in a hurry right now so i don't have much time to develop my though, but I'LL BE BACK HAHAHAha.. hem..

Thanks
    Kiwee: haha thanks ill see you around! and yeah...my faces suck...ill work on them soon O_O

holy hell i actually finished something!!! lol pretty happy with this. face is still kind of wonky, but im just gonna move on.

Attachment 1241462

2/3 closeup:
    Attachment 1241463

im gonna take a shot at imaginefx's Rising Stars competition. im gonna use this and hopefully i can get 3-4 more new pieces done before august 1....*_* wish me luck!
    Last edited by lancer_idenoure; May 27th, 2011 at 08:24 PM.

Thanks
    Good luck with the competition!

One thing I have to say about this latest piece, something about the upper portion of her head looks off, maybe try thicken her hair up behind her face? It just looks really top heavy at the moment, makes the proportions look strange even though they'r sound from what I can see

39. The Following User Says Thank You to exdakly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Rawr Lancer, I might try for that rising stars competition too! Best of luck to the both of us -- 'cept I'm moar of a n00b! And yeah Jaime Jones is awesome.
    https://www.artstation.com/artist/robertshirley

Looking for professional work (both freelance and full time opportunities)!

Inquiries: Robertshirleyart@gmail.com

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadlyhazard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    exdakly: thanks, and yeah i think its the hair coming off to the left. i might need to darken the highlight to give it less weight. i just cant get faces right, i need to study them moar O_o

DeadlyHazard: good luck to you too!

lets see, what have i done the last week.......
    - like 2 pages of antomy
    - read "Color and Light" by James Gurney
    - and play monster hunter the whole fucking time

seriously though, it was practically all i did, i feel disgusting. it did give me some inspiration, but not enough to make up for a whole week of lost time

shit, anyway, back to art.

another half assed photo study,
    Attachment 1250471

and a wip study from jeremy lipking
    Attachment 1250472

that guys amazing. expect more of these.

Thanks
    Nice Jump man! Improving everywhere overall... no crits! keep it up!
    Behind every great master is a great student...

Imagination is more important than knowledge- Albert Einstein...
    _________
    NEW SKETCHBOOK -- http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...40#post3743640

OLD SKETCHBOOK: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...25#post2543225

44. The Following User Says Thank You to poetry man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Everything is looking great man! i love how soft you get the skin to feel

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Kapil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    poetry man: thanks!

Kapil: thanks. not my colors though, im just copying jeremy lipking's

gaaah f**king monster hunter. so addicting.....f**k

finished that study. steps:
    Attachment 1257948
    Attachment 1257949

a thing i did for my dad (hes in the space biz)
    Attachment 1257950

and some oils. both from life.
    Attachment 1257951

not finished (almost though):
    Attachment 1257952

i read some of gurney's books and have just been observing light and realized some things so i actually feel like ive improved quite a bit without really doing anything, but..........if i waste any more time im gonna kick my own ass!

ill see if im right tomorrow. gonna start a new piece

48. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lancer_idenoure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    was kinda busy today, plus tomorrow's father's day, but heres what i started. piece for a collective blog thing where everyone is drawing a zombie portrait of someone else
    Attachment 1258536

gonna add in veins and blood and zombie stuff pretty soon, just putting down base colors right now. anyway, time for bed!

Thanks
    Great brushwork in the last pieces! It has a very traditional feel to it. Very good! I'm sure the zombiepiece is going to be interesting.
    Keep up the good work!

51. The Following User Says Thank You to JuliaMetzger For This Useful Post:

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast