Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    945
    Thanks
    228
    Thanked 125 Times in 122 Posts

    Becoming a Concept artist vs. Becoming a Surgeon

    Which one would be more difficult to pursue successfully today?
    Last edited by PeteJ; September 18th, 2010 at 06:57 PM.


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    A bunch of different places.
    Posts
    635
    Thanks
    299
    Thanked 509 Times in 230 Posts
    It depends.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    646
    Thanks
    209
    Thanked 172 Times in 95 Posts
    Well define successful. Both demand years of vigorous studying and practice although I would say that geographical placement of your physical being plays a bigger role in becoming a concept artist than becoming a surgeon.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    2,364
    Thanks
    796
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 887 Posts
    Hmmm.

    It's pretty hard to practice surgery in your spare time before you go to school!

    'twould give new meaning to "life studies."

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    945
    Thanks
    228
    Thanked 125 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Well define successful. Both demand years of vigorous studying and practice although I would say that geographical placement of your physical being plays a bigger role in becoming a concept artist than becoming a surgeon.
    Making a decent living as a full time Concept Artist Vs Surviving 11 years of vigorous studies and never get fired for making a mistake as a surgeon

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    2,522
    Thanks
    438
    Thanked 437 Times in 209 Posts
    Pete,

    I think it goes without saying that being a concept artist is a far more demanding and stressful job than being a surgeon, and requires a lot more vigorous intelligence to pursue. I would go so far as to say that concept artists have a better handle on human anatomy than surgeons themselves, and given their steady drawing hands are probably more qualified for surgery than surgeons themselves. Surgeons are mostly just people who have made a living out of being phonies. This is especially true for Neurosurgeons, who basically just mess around with people's heads all day.

    I think one of the toughest jobs on the planet has to be coming up with interesting forum questions, the likes of which are not at all apt for drunken discussions in the early hours of Saturday mornings whilst one is still seventeen years of age. Here you've done it in a mere 13 words.

    And if you're still wondering what I'm on about: please don't flatter yourself, the surgeon has the tougher job. And "success" is a relative term, the quantification of which far transcends "just for fun."
    Brendan Noeth


  9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Brendan N For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    945
    Thanks
    228
    Thanked 125 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan N View Post
    Pete,

    I think it goes without saying that being a concept artist is a far more demanding and stressful job than being a surgeon, and requires a lot more vigorous intelligence to pursue. I would go so far as to say that concept artists have a better handle on human anatomy than surgeons themselves, and given their steady drawing hands are probably more qualified for surgery than surgeons themselves. Surgeons are mostly just people who have made a living out of being phonies. This is especially true for Neurosurgeons, who basically just mess around with people's heads all day.

    I think one of the toughest jobs on the planet has to be coming up with interesting forum questions, the likes of which are not at all apt for drunken discussions in the early hours of Saturday mornings whilst one is still seventeen years of age. Here you've done it in a mere 13 words.

    And if you're still wondering what I'm on about: please don't flatter yourself, the surgeon has the tougher job. And "success" is a relative term, the quantification of which far transcends "just for fun."
    did I say something wrong?

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,819
    Thanks
    1,540
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    you're asking this in an art forum, what answers are you really expecting?

    I'd say becoming a surgeon is a very demanding task. There's premed school and then med school, studying to become a doctor takes a lot more years than the average major.

    I dont think you can compare the two, but concept art takes vigorous training too. My teacher once said that he thought art schools should be an 8 year program, and he encourages his students to get a MFA because he believes most of the BA graduating students are not really skilled enough to go out in their respective industries yet. and I agree.

    so which one is harder? depends on the person.

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,537
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 604 Posts
    Bear in mind there are boat-loads of average-to-good (and even some not-so-good) concept artists out there working full time, but I doubt there are anything like the same number of surgeons who are less than excellent at their job. Having said that, I'd say it's more likely that a person setting out to be a surgeon would realise their ambition as opposed to those setting out to be a top concept artist.

    It would also depend on the nature of the surgery. Certain types of surgery, for example brain and cardiac, are prohibitively complex whilst specialising in boob jobs isn't the most intellectually demanding discipline in the world (although ironically it pays better than all the others).

    And that's it on concept artist vs surgeon. For my next lecture I'll be comparing the merits and pitfalls of slathering a moose with a butter vs shaving the hindquarters of a Mexican ground squirrel with a moustache trimmer.

  13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:


  14. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,023
    Thanks
    2,164
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Impossible View Post
    slathering a moose with a butter...
    Let me tell you, on those long lonely Canadian nights up here in the wilderness...

  15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:


  16. #11
    Ilaekae's Avatar
    Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Southwestern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    7,129
    Thanks
    8,241
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    You're so lucky up there...having moose around. All we got is a couple species of deer. Do you know HOW G'DAM FAST those bastards are?
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

    Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:


  18. #12
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3,177
    Thanks
    752
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rainville View Post
    Let me tell you, on those long lonely Canadian nights up here in the wilderness...
    ...we're STILL not dumb enough to slather a moose in butter.

    Maple syrup, maybe. But not butter.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

    "There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

  19. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Arizona, USA
    Posts
    1,084
    Thanks
    506
    Thanked 632 Times in 355 Posts
    well, with maple syrup and butter will the moose taste like pancakes?

  20. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Birth Place of the World, NYC
    Posts
    2,844
    Thanks
    2,664
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 686 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    You're so lucky up there...having moose around. All we got is a couple species of deer. Do you know HOW G'DAM FAST those bastards are?
    That's what the fender of a truck's for. Slows 'em down.
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:


  22. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    468
    Thanks
    250
    Thanked 759 Times in 157 Posts
    Becoming a Concept artist vs. Slathering a Moose in Butter

    Just for fun. Which one would be more difficult to pursue successfully today?

  23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hippl5 For This Useful Post:


  24. #16
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Hudson River valley, NY
    Posts
    16,201
    Thanks
    4,875
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Impossible View Post
    Bear in mind there are boat-loads of average-to-good (and even some not-so-good) concept artists out there working full time, but I doubt there are anything like the same number of surgeons who are less than excellent at their job.
    Q: What do you call someone who graduates last in their class in medical school?

    A: Doctor.

    Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

    "Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

    "Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:


  26. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,537
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Q: What do you call someone who graduates last in their class in medical school?

    A: Doctor.
    I think the medical professionals in the UK heard that one as they're all called Mister rather than Doctor. Call one Doctor and he'll whip you with his stethoscope.

  27. #18
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Hudson River valley, NY
    Posts
    16,201
    Thanks
    4,875
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts

    Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

    "Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

    "Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

  28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:


  29. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mölndal, Sweden
    Posts
    2,788
    Thanks
    2,384
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 838 Posts
    Surgeons are the carpenters of medicine. Unless you're refering to brain surgery or something I'm sure the artist has the tougher job. All you need to know as a surgeon is what a saw and a leg looks like...
    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

    Sketchy Link

    Portfolio

  30. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,830
    Thanks
    1,110
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamber Parrk View Post
    Hmmm.

    It's pretty hard to practice surgery in your spare time before you go to school!

    'twould give new meaning to "life studies."
    Because of your avatar... I couldn't help but read "'twould" as a kind of tweeting sound...

  31. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    505
    Thanks
    585
    Thanked 158 Times in 96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Impossible View Post
    I think the medical professionals in the UK heard that one as they're all called Mister rather than Doctor. Call one Doctor and he'll whip you with his stethoscope.
    Thats only in bondages scenes
    (23:41:52) (ArneLurk) I woner of there are people who have hairy penises

  32. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    464
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 182 Times in 101 Posts
    Man, no amount of money could ever convince me to become a surgeon (or a doctor for that matter). I mean, it's not the education or the work I'd shy away from-- it's the stress, being "on-call," etc... not to mention most young doctor's I know are life studies in douchebaggery (okay, this one's a generalization I know).

    Anyway I'm sure they'd turn around and call artists flippant, romantic dreamers but hey-- here's to the dream.
    Follow Me! | DeviantART | Twitter

  33. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    3,764
    Thanks
    2,128
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 655 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteJ View Post
    Well I thought the lounge room is where you can post whatever you want.
    People can reply whatever they want, too.

  34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HunterKiller_ For This Useful Post:


  35. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Washington (state), USA
    Posts
    459
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 143 Times in 127 Posts
    Hmmm... I'm imagining a world in which "conceptsurgery.org" is a popular site for young, amature doctors. They post photos of the bodies of botched surgeries, and ask the professionals who frequent the site, "I'm really having trouble with these heart transplants - any suggestions?"

  36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saramel For This Useful Post:


  37. #25
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    3,233
    Thanks
    860
    Thanked 849 Times in 457 Posts
    Just like Saramel said, if you are a surgeon and you do art as a hobby, everyone thinks it's cool, if you are an artist and you do surgery as a hobby, you get thrown in jail. Ask me how I know...

  38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Qitsune For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Surgeon loses temper, chops up man's penis
    By JERI in forum Artist Lounge
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: January 21st, 2007, 04:34 AM
  2. WIP...Surgeon or Pirate?
    By Artastic in forum Art Critique Center
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 27th, 2006, 05:27 PM
  3. Genital Surgeon
    By Pavel Sokov in forum Art Critique Center
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: March 12th, 2006, 09:11 PM
  4. Art: Genital Surgeon
    By Pavel Sokov in forum Finished Art
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: March 12th, 2006, 03:16 PM
  5. Art: Surgeon - lighting exercise
    By jbuchwitz in forum Finished Art
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: September 25th, 2003, 09:53 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Designed by The Coldest Water, we build the coldest best water bottles, ice packs and best pillows.