Art: hounworks.it 6th release limited edition poster

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

hounworks.it 6th release limited edition poster

Hi all, I've done this poster to celebrate the release of the 6th edition of my online portfolio. It'll be printed in a limited edition in next days.
    Do you like it or have some crits? I'm making some other posters in this style, so I'm interested in other people opinion.
    And if you want visit my new website too!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Your logo should be more dominant. As a matter of fact I like it more than the image it's self.

The gray shape in the background is pretty wack. I don't know what it is and it looks like a filtered photo. It's only serving as unnecessary noise.

I think the two sets of goat horns are distracting from the good triangular composition. Besides the fact it's stealing attention from the hound skull which is actually relevant. I'm actually pretty interested to see what's underneath the horns.

Over all great work. I'm sure metal heads from all over the world would crawl naked over broken glass for this poster.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; August 2nd, 2010 at 08:40 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Raoul, thank you for your opinion! For the question of the gray shape it is a spine, it really serves as a noise, as you pointed, so i decided to create it not too much rich of particulars. At the same time the antilope horns serve to broke the triangular shape and extend in vertical the composition. For the logo I don't wanted to make it the principal subject of the poster, but only a "signature" for the entire work, so i put it in the footer of the poster.
    Hope to have explained my reasoning, and sorry for my english!

PS I really hope metalheads and skull-lovers will like the poster.

Bye and thank you again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I disagree with Raoul on the logo sizing/composition, this is a poster to advertise your work, as such, your artwork should be the focal point, not a logo. The logo serves as a signature. I think the posters looks great as is, the only thing I would change is the "HW" because it distracts from the work, I would consider getting rid of that, if it looks empty then try finding some other design element to fit in there.

Good stuff,
    Kim

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I understand why you did what you did. Ultimately it's good that you stick to your guns. You certainly know what you are doing. It is difficult to stay objective in crits at this point. I'm big on simplicity and relevance. You seem to skew towards organized confusion. It's not a difference in taste, it's a difference in objective. The objectives are not mutually exclusive, but occasionally contradict each other.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

kab

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think there is much confusion.

For a portfolio the work is the most important thing, the point is to show what the artist does, not the name of the artist. The interested party has no problem finding the logo and relevant information in this composition. Within two seconds of looking at this poster you have a strong idea of what his work looks like and whether you would be interested in checking it out/hiring him for your project, to me it is effective and appopriate.

Only problem I have is that the HW is distracting since its geometric, sharp edges contrast heavily with the gristle of the artwork being displayed, also, there is no real need for putting a shortened version of the name there, considering that information is already being displayed much more appropriately on the bottom.

If this poster had been made to advertise his website, that's another story and putting the logo as the main focal point would make sense. Even though many would argue that the logo should probably still take a back seat to examples of the artist's work, especially if illustration is his main focus. =)

-Kim

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all thank you both for giving your opinion and well, in contributing to develop a discussion!

@Raoul: I understand your point. I can go for simplicity or caos from project to project, and in this case the focus is on the second one.In this case I don't have had the necessity to be simple or clear. I know the present trend expecially for posters is "logo+some effects or shapes" style, but I like to go for other solutions.
    In any case I agree with you when you say that being objective with crits is difficult (I tend to defend my work, is obvious) but not when you talk about contradictory objectives.

@Kab: you have pointed the question about the hw at the top, it is formally not too correct (strong shapes and angles with free curves and forms) but trying other solutions I've noticed I like it as is, so I've decided not to change.
    As told to Raoul even If the poster is made for the launch of my website I don't wanted to put the logo in the center of the composition, but preferred to go for a strong illustration, in which the logo could be only a part of all.

Hope to be clear and to not appear controversial, bye!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 543 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hello,

I like the overall feeling to it, part of the fact that i'm quite fond of darky skully graphics even though their time is a bit past.
    There are some problems with your image, as Raoul has said too, it's all a bit too confusing and unclear. You have elements that compete for attention and mostly ruin the composition. I do like your logo in particular, it's quite fresh, fun and easy to remember.

keep up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you sick brush!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nothing controversial, discussion is good, it's what makes us better =)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.