There's no speed limit

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: There's no speed limit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up There's no speed limit

Just wanted to share this nice piece of advice I read a few minutes ago. Click on read more to, well, read more.

Whether you're a student, teacher, or parent, I think you'll appreciate this story of how one teacher can completely and permanently change someone's life in only a few lessons.

I met Kimo Williams when I was 17 - the summer after I graduated high school in Chicago, a few months before I was starting Berklee College of Music.

I called an ad in the paper by a recording studio, with a random question about music typesetting.

When the studio owner heard I was going to Berklee, he said, “I graduated from Berklee, and taught there for a few years, too. I'll bet I can teach you two years' of theory and arranging in only a few lessons. I suspect you can graduate in two years if you understand there's no speed limit. Come by my studio at 9:00 tomorrow for your first lesson, if you're interested. No charge.”
    Here -> read more.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cl0aked For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had a math teacher that was just like that, he taught in a very intense, quick way, so I really had to make an effort to keep up with him. I was completely un-interested in math before, but after a few classes he made me one of the worst students in my class to one of the best.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Me, I can't learn like that at all. I'm an extremely slow worker, and when the pace gets like that, I am immediately hopelessly and irretrievably lost. It takes about five minutes of that sort of thing to completely and utterly destroy my motivation and self-confidence, as well as my interest in the subject. I have always managed to learn more without teachers than with them precisely because I have never been able to keep up the pace, in any subject, including even ones for which I have a natural aptitude.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds interesting, though i doubt i'd be able to pull it off. I'd be too scared to fail in some way, and that would ruin everything. =/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As long as I am seeing a practical use for what is being taught to me, I can retain and learn quickly. But if you are just teaching me concepts without showing application, I don't always retain it as well as when I have an example.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In that case, the teacher was always testing the student, always putting the concepts he just taught to practical use. This is the core of learning - constant teaching and constant evaluation. The pace is not what's important here, he could just as well go slow and then test you after.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by brianvds View Post
    Me, I can't learn like that at all. I'm an extremely slow worker, and when the pace gets like that, I am immediately hopelessly and irretrievably lost. It takes about five minutes of that sort of thing to completely and utterly destroy my motivation and self-confidence, as well as my interest in the subject. I have always managed to learn more without teachers than with them precisely because I have never been able to keep up the pace, in any subject, including even ones for which I have a natural aptitude.
    I think the keyword is "expectations" in that article. You've not been challenged enough by a mentor to really be expected to perform under such circumstances.

Very interesting article, thanks!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great article! I wonder if someone had tried to teach jazz music theory to me that way, I would have picked it up instead of being totally lost and losing all interest in jazz piano. More motivational stories of improvement please!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by CGMonkey View Post
    I think the keyword is "expectations" in that article. You've not been challenged enough by a mentor to really be expected to perform under such circumstances.

Very interesting article, thanks!!
    No, the opposite tends to happen: I get challenged too much, and then I get hopelessly lost.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good to know there's teachers out there who are like this! My problem was exactly that--my pace and expectations were always well above the pace of my classmates, so I would tear through projects and sit around bored because the teachers couldn't start the next project until the rest of the class was finished. It was the same through high school and even college classes. Drag, drag, drag, sit around bored. Needless to say I've taught myself 90% of what I know when it comes to art.

Critters! Dinosaurs! Lovecraftian horrors! ~~~~~> My creature sculpting thread!
    The Savage Goldfish Blog

"I started to see human beings as little lonesome, water-based pink meat, life forms pushing air through themselves and making noises that the other little pieces of meat seemed to understand."
    -Devin Townsend

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.