Small (2" x 3") character face/torso needed for novel
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Small (2" x 3") character face/torso needed for novel

Greetings,

I am getting ready to go into the proofreading stage of my first novel, and I would like to complete my cover artwork prior to sending everything off for the first proof copy so I can review everything at one time (to save time and proofing costs). The preview page for the book itself (in its current form) is located at The Dying Times: Nadene's Story.

I will be doing a majority of the cover art myself, but I would like something on the front cover that makes it stand out and that is unique. A single portrait amongst my other art plays into my vision for the series (a small picture of the main character of each story).

Licensing Information
    The terms of the license that I'm looking for are as follows:
    • Mutually-exclusive between Late Nite Books and Artist - the artist may use the artwork for their own portfolio, and Late Nite Books reserves the right to use the image for book cover artwork, in promotion materials for the novel, and in future editions of the novel (if any), as well as granting a release that, if the novel is purchased by a larger publishing house or a third party, that Late Nite Books is allowed the right to transfer the terms of this agreement to that third party so the novel may be conveyed in its entirety.
    • The artist retains copyright to the work, given the other waivers granted herein that Late Nite Books may use the artwork for the title at will for this novel.
    • The artist will be cited inside the book for the provided artwork, unless the artist does not want to be cited for their own reasons. If the price and the work are especially good, I would be willing to add a website link, email address, or further contact information for the artist.
    • Half of the payment will be dispersed by Late Nite Books to the artist before work begins and the other half shall be paid upon delivery of the final work.
    • The artist should submit a first concept sketch, consisting of the character in black and white format. Late Nite Books is allowed to review the image and state what major or minor alterations need to be made. The final sketch would consist of the entire drawing without color, and Late Nite Books is allowed to review the image and state any minor adjustments which should be made prior to coloring. When the colored image is complete, Late Nite Books is allowed to review the colored image and change any colors which are not in the spirit of the book, but no other actual alterations of the drawing work are allowed at this point. That is a total of one major revision, one minor revision, and one color correction revision, and these revisions must be acceptable to the artist in terms of time investment in making said revisions. (I am not allowed to scrap the entire thing after several hours of work have already been put into the artwork because I understand that costs people valuable time.)

The above terms are not set into stone, of course, and I am perfectly willing to adjust most of them to come to a reasonable agreement.

I have consistently downgraded my requirements for the cover art due to pricing concerns, so I have decided to take the size of the artwork down to a much smaller size and reduce the character count to one instead of including multiple characters on the cover. (Although I would have liked going all-out, I must accept the fact that I simply cannot afford it. ) I have spoken with a few artists whose work is amazingly wonderful that I would love to hire, but, as I said, I am working on a very tight budget.

So, the character who needs to be in the 2" (wide/horizontal) x 3" (tall/vertical) portrait and the job itself are described as follows:
    • Horror Genre - More specifically, zombie apocalypse
    • 13 year-old female, her name is Nadene
    • Caucasian (white), southern American
    • Brown hair / blue eyes
    • Thin and attractive/angular features
    • Emotion range: fear, anxiety, sadness
    • Image should be full color and should be realistic/detailed in nature
    • Portrait should include the top half of the torso (breast/ribs and above), shoulders, face, and hair.
    • Hair style is shoulder-length, "conservative" style, though it can be somewhat frazzled due to the scenario.
    • Face is the focal point.
    • Background behind portrait should be generic, and it is not required to be very detailed.
    • 300 dpi, of course
    • Photoshop (.PSD) format required
    • Clothing: medium wealth, prefer a button up blouse, top one or two buttons open. Weather is late November in Alabama, so it could be any temperature, though it lends itself to the cooler temperatures usually.

If you would like to make an offer on price, discuss terms, or ask questions, you can email me at " brian (at) latenitebooks (dot) com " or post here. I'm going to leave this open until August 8th, 2010 for those interested, unless a deal comes across my desk that I just can't resist (at which time I will post that the job is closed). Links to current portfolios are definitely a plus, especially anything with realistic female character artwork.

Thanks!

- Brian, Late Nite Books

Late Nite Books Official Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Due to the overwhelming response, I am going to go ahead and close the job. I will be in contact with all applications to inform them of my decision by tomorrow morning.

Thanks to everyone who applied! Not everyone matched my vision of what I need, but everyone had some very impressive work that never failed to make me say, "Wow".

- Brian, Late Nite Books

Late Nite Books Official Website

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.