Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Need some fresh eyes here...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Need some fresh eyes here...

Help me on this one. P:<

Reference img -http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...d/SCAN0007.jpg

I'd like some help coloring realistically. I still get that plastic-y manga texture.
    EDIT

Oops, I hotlinked. How n00b of me. D:>

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by melikefood; August 1st, 2010 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Fix hotlinked img
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok I can completely help you here. Photoshop isn't the best for realistic painting, however you can still achieve a certain degree of realistic feel. The things you are missing are:

1. More color assortment
    2. Texture

For color, you want to use reds and purples for shadows (especially red) to give it all a more depthy, realistic feel. Check out some realistic works here or on deviant art to get a better idea on color. Use blues and pinks for highlights and steer away from brown and peach as much as you can after base color is down. Use your eyedropper tool and (if you have a pen tablet) make sure your brush is always set to pen pressure for opacity. If you don't know how to do that, just let me know and I'll show you .

Your other problem is texture. I see you are using a round brush which will always, always, always leave you with a non-textured, waxy person. How to overcome this? Use a more textured, painter like brush of course! This brush is my personal favorite for creating said effects. Open it in PS, Edit > define brush preset. Go in to brush settings > other dynamics and enable both the opacity and flow jitter to pen pressure. Spacing 10%. Also, it would help to have skin texture brushes. By adding these on a layer on top of your portrait and setting that layer to "soft light" you can create a very, very good illusion that you put tons of time into putting skin texture in without having to spend toooo much time on it. Make sure, no matter what brush you use, to always vary the size and don't be afraid to do really small details, it'll add to the realistic feel! Some of the best skin texture brushes are located here.

Now that I've got all the color and texture out of the way, I'm gonna pick on your anatomy and form a little bit . Assuming it's the far left image, your head is much too wide. Also, it's a little lopsided, but a quick rotate will fix that. Narrow up his chin as well. Right now, he looks some what middle aged where, in reality, he's probably 20-30 years old. Try to really compare your work and the reference very closely. Flip both canvases horizontally often so you can have fresh eyes and be able to pick out all sorts of problems.

Now for some compliments . Your attention to plane value (which is basically just shapes of color) is very very good. The way you can lay down some base colors is a skill a lot of people cannot do, so be proud! . Just keep workin it and I'm sure you'll get it down!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can create realism in Photoshop just fine, as they say it's the artist not the tool. The first thing I notice is that all the facial features are skewed and off axis. For instance your nose looks crooked and the chin is going in the opposite direction. Your proportion is also very off. The eyes are too wide, the mouth should be placed higher, and his chin shouldn't be so square, to name a few.

Your next major problem is the skin tone. Compare your painting with the reference and you'll see your is too pink. He's Asian, he should have a yellowish tan. The fact that you are shading with greys and white's doesn't help either, in the ref you see that the shadows are slightly darker and more saturated tones of the base color.

Lastly, for now, it would help if you actually tried blending the colors. The reason why plastic and metals are so shiny is because they have very hard and noticeable transitions, and that's why your painting looks like that. Also, try using a background that isn't white.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I always learn so much from a couple posts on CA.
    Thanks you guys!

I'll get to work on a new piece.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New? noooo . Not new! Try to learn all you can from completeing this one and then do a new one! The newer one will have better results that way .

Oh and I wasn't saying you can't create realism in photoshop, I was saying it's very difficult with a round brush.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.