A really, really strange question I need to get off my chest. *would love feedback!*
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A really, really strange question I need to get off my chest. *would love feedback!*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question A really, really strange question I need to get off my chest. *would love feedback!*

I remember a time in highschool, back when I was in grade 10 (was 15'ish back then), some freaky girl sitting behind me was reading something off a magazine about Zodiac signs, and their compatibility to art (or, at least that's what I gathered).

She asked me for my sign, and I stupidly gave it to her ._. so she reads up on what it says about my sign, and it goes something like this: "The virgo is greatly inclined towards art and creativity, but won't really be able to reach his or her full potential" is what it basically said, but in different wording.

...Now I'm 19 years old, and when I looked at my art one day, it suddenly took me back to what she said. Now I can't stop thinking about it. I begin to feel a little insignificant and bothered - and I even ask myself: ...Is this why I'm currently at this skill level? Maybe I'm not good enough because of my sign?

Stupid, I know, but it really gets me upset when I think about it. So, my question mainly is: does a Zodiac sign really judge a person's ability to be artistic and creative?

Last edited by LovelessDevout; July 31st, 2010 at 09:07 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No.

Some people pick certain aspects of art up faster than others but that's about it. The rest just comes down to how much you work at it.

There's no shortcut or magical divine astrological sign, sorry.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cadaure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The more you think about it the truer it becomes.

"A drawing is not necessarily academic because it is thorough, but only because it is dead. Neither is a drawing necessarily academic because it is done in what is called a conventional style, any more than it is good because it is done in an unconventional style. The test is whether it has life and conveys genuine feeling."- Harold Speed
    [[Sketchbook]]

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Pariano For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Astrology is bullshit.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

7. The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There was an experiment done with horoscopes that you could re-create if you chose to. You take a group of people and give them all copies of the same horoscope you cut out of a newspaper or whatever. Then you ask them to read it. Afterwards have them raise their hands to see how accurate the horoscope is to their lives. Most, if not all will raise their hand.

The only reason it seems to have some effect on you is that you believe it could be true. It's the power of suggestion. You were in a moment of natural self-doubt and then what she said seeped in and planted itself as an actual idea.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Astrology is bullshit.
    This bears repeating.

Also, your problem isn't your sign, but a thing called a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWeisel View Post
    There was an experiment done with horoscopes that you could re-create if you chose to. You take a group of people and give them all copies of the same horoscope you cut out of a newspaper or whatever. Then you ask them to read it. Afterwards have them raise their hands to see how accurate the horoscope is to their lives. Most, if not all will raise their hand.

The only reason it seems to have some effect on you is that you believe it could be true. It's the power of suggestion. You were in a moment of natural self-doubt and then what she said seeped in and planted itself as an actual idea.
    You have a need for other people to like and admire you, and yet you tend to be critical of yourself.

While you have some personality weaknesses you are generally able to compensate for them.

You have considerable unused capacity that you have not turned to your advantage. Disciplined and self-controlled on the outside, you tend to be worrisome and insecure on the inside.

At times you have serious doubts as to whether you have made the right decision or done the right thing.

You prefer a certain amount of change and variety and become dissatisfied when hemmed in by restrictions and limitations. You also pride yourself as an independent thinker; and do not accept others’ statements without satisfactory proof. But you have found it unwise to be too frank in revealing yourself to others.

At times you are extroverted, affable, and sociable, while at other times you are introverted, wary, and reserved.

Some of your aspirations tend to be rather unrealistic.

All the above statements came from a 1948 experiment by Bertram R. Forer. He gave his students a personality test and told them each one had been personally assessed, but then gave everyone the same analysis.

He asked his students to look over the statements and rate them for accuracy. On average, they rated the bogus results as 85 percent correct – as if they had been personally prepared to describe them.

The block of text above was actually a mishmash of lines from horoscopes collected by Forer for the experiment.

The tendency to believe vague statements designed to appeal to just about anyone is called the Forer Effect, and psychologists point to this phenomenon to explain why people fall for pseudoscience like biorhythms, iridology and phrenology or mysticism like astrology, numerology and tarot cards.

The Forer Effect is part of larger phenomenon psychologists refer to as subjective validation, which is a fancy way of saying you are far more vulnerable to suggestion when the subject of the conversation is you.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Armonah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, thanks for clearing a few things up guys- especially BuckWeisel. I was really beginning to think that I was going insane over here. It's true that I haven't been paying much attention to anatomy practices, but that was because I wasn't...paying attention. :| I've only gotten serious with art a few months ago - before then, I was just creating abstract/imaginative art I poorly dubbed as 'manga'.

It's literally as if that stupid magazine was out to purposely discourage people as artists, I swear. ._.

Thanks armonah : D Not sure where you got that, but that definitely describes me - or how I see me in terms of art, at least. *yes I know, I'm suckering in >_>*

Moar Edit - ah, didn't read what was under it. Now I know where it came from : D

Last edited by LovelessDevout; July 31st, 2010 at 09:43 PM.

BlightedArt is offline That annoying itch you just can't seem to scratch Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    BuckWeisel is right yeah. This sort of thing always makes me think of the story of Macbeth, where the witches plant suggestions in Macbeth's head with these 'prophesies' and he starts to believe it as true, when really he's just misconceiving scenario's. (They tell him trees will come alive around the time he is going to die, and when he see's foliage moving around outside his castle, he doesn't realise it's really militia of some sort wearing forestry for disguise, and thinks they're actual tree's moving).

Or something like that. Been a long time since English class.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Someone really should've told Cobb about this. Inception is apparently much easier to achieve with horoscopes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll cast a "no" on here as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As a fellow Virgo, I can tell you that this is nonsense. Now, go practice and get better. (Because you will.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no dont listen to that, you can be as good as you want to be and listening to things that say you will never be good enough just makes that so. Just work hard and im sure you can do great things!

check out my sketchbook

Check Out My Online Portfolio

FourTonMantis is offline Without vision we will die Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dunno guys...I was born under the sign of the Tower and have always been able to unlock an average level lock once a day...

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FourTonMantis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    So basically you're letting some poorly payed writer who's working for a cheap magazine rule your life...

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like all Taureans, I don't believe in astrology. But if you believe your star sign determines your fate, then it surely will.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Likewise I'm a Virgo, and while I'm no where near where I want to be as an artist, I have no doubt in my mind that my study and persistence will pay off.

Follow Me! | DeviantART | Twitter

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinito View Post
    "The virgo is greatly inclined towards art and creativity, but won't really be able to reach his or her full potential"...

...Now I can't stop thinking about it.
    I can understand that. Pleonasms annoy me too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ive always liked the argument that if the gravitational pull exerted by uranus (hurhur) has an impact on your future, then so should the gravitational force of the nurse in the delivery room. Science, always a fun companion when dealing with humbug

For a very nerdy level of gravity forced on a newborn in comparison to astrology, go here and rejoice:
    http://www.smarterthanthat.com/astro...-you-at-birth/

26. The Following User Says Thank You to mimer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    the zodiac dates back to when they thought the stars were a part of our atmosphere. If you think the stars are just hovering around earth, then be my guest and let them interfere with your life. You'll go far!

LORD M is offline That guy from the cheer me up thread Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,790 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    According to my Mayan horoscope I am Tzolkin: 1 Kan

"Kan symbolizes the power of the universe, the heat of Kan, the first rays of light that appeared on the horizon and that communicates itself to the earth with heaven, revealing within itself the existance of the Heart of Heaven and the Heart of Earth.

Kan is movement and the creator of the universe, human evolution, spiritual growth, justice, truth and peaceful intelligence.

Kan is a sign of wealth that multiplies good things. It also symbolizes agility, the wisdom of elders, integration and reunion. Kan depicts sincerity, equlibrium, power and authority. It is a very strong day."

That sounds more intresting then the western zodiacs.

For anyone bored with the usual crapy zodiac we see in the newspaper each day, it's as legit as the other one though lol:

http://www.mayacalendar.org/mayan-horoscope.php

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Most, if not all, horoscope columns aren't actually written; they are literally strips of paper pulled out of a hat by a sub-ed. Not kidding; I know a few sub-eds who do that shit. I also know a few people who consider themselves astrologists, and do study and strive.

Your life is up to you and what you do, not what somebody who has never met you says is right for you. Chase what you want to do. You think a terrier reads a horoscope before he catches a rabbit?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD M View Post
    For anyone bored with the usual crapy zodiac we see in the newspaper each day, it's as legit as the other one though lol:

http://www.mayacalendar.org/mayan-horoscope.php

"Tzolkin: 11 I'x
    Long Count: 12.19.17.14.14

Symbol of the creative forces of the universe, the commemoration of the world. The day water seperated from the mountains, the plains and the places all humans and land animals on earth occupy. Represents the Maya Altar and is the day of the mountains, hills and plains."

So... I'm Red/White?

Oh c'mon, I did that stupid MTG quiz YEARS ago.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, I looked up Capricorns to see how accurately the stars have predicted me/myself/and I before I form an opinion here...

Most stable and serious of all signs.
    Conservative by nature.
    Calm.
    Unemotional.
    Practical, and cautious to an extreme.
    Have great respect for authority.
    Have qualities necessary to be a successful financier, banker or real estate broker.
    Make excellent bureaucrats.
    Dislike wild schemes and fantasies.

...hm...

YUP! Got me convinced... Where do I subscribe?

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "The virgo is greatly inclined towards art and creativity, but won't really be able to reach his or her full potential"

This applies to every artist, even the greats, so....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mimer View Post
    ive always liked the argument that if the gravitational pull exerted by uranus (hurhur) has an impact on your future, then so should the gravitational force of the nurse in the delivery room.
    It is thus possible to be born under the sign of Floberta. She might or might not be a virgin.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    im a queer arse (Aquarius) can't take credit for that one unfortunately!

As an open-minded hippy I can't quite rule out that there isn't anything there, I have a friend who is studying astrology and she did a reading of my birthdate for me and basically it was me, every characteristic that is exagerrated and hidden, every flaw, the fact I keep things under the surface was reflected in the overall pattern (she drew a line through the middle and all the planets were aligned in the bottom half) anyway call me gullible if you want it made me feel happier and kinda connected to this big ole crazy universe.

Having said that, it didn't mention anything about what would be my perfect career or anything like that as even though astrology fixes onto characteristics it really is only a guide, it's making you aware of what your strengths are as well as your weaknesses so you can better understand yourself and overcome those weaknesses if your willing to.

So yeah, ignore what a book or a magazine says, that isn't about you, it's just a stab in the dark based on the predominant characterstics found in the different star signs over history, which are present in everyone!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 391 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckWeisel View Post
    Aka Barnum/Forer effect

All I know is - I`m a Libra, and I`m gonna kick ass!!!

Thank you, and good night.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Theres 12 signs, so unless theres only 12 varieties of person, then thats not right.
    Oh, and if you've ever read anyone elses starsign/forecast, they'll all apply to you as much as your own

Buuttttt if you do still want to read some decent Horoscopes, the Onion is the place to be
    http://www.theonion.com/articles/you...27-2010,17792/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't know I was a SOCIOPATH.

Scorpio has to be in a power position, this is why these careers are suited to the Scorpio, they all demand one person in supreme control giving orders and leading a unit of people/practices.
    Scorpios are extremely ambitious, persistent and determined which is shown through a power hungry, controlling attitude.
    Scorpios are excellent at restoring order to a chaotic situation and they are just as capable of manipulating for their own greed and benefit. The un-evolved Scorpio is a very dangerous person because they use their powers to benefit only them and step on other people in order to satisfy their own greed.
    Scorpio is the most misunderstood of all astrology signs. They are all about intensity and contradictions. They like to be aware of a situation and always know what's going on, figuring this out with their probing mind, on the other hand, they are interested in the occult, the paranormal, conspiracy theories and other types of similar unknown mysteries. They are very capable of hiding their true feelings and motivations, they often have ulterior motives or a hidden agenda.
    Scorpios are all about control, they need to be in control at all times. To be out of control is very threatening, even dangerous to the Scorpio's psyche, when they control, they feel safe.

God damn, this whole page just makes me mad.

Scorpios have a fear of failure which they keep hidden extremely well, should their confrontation not be successful, or their career fail, they will simply use their adaptive skill to quickly move and and leave the bad experience behind. Do not ever expect them to fess up or share their tale with anyone however because this shows signs of weakness and Scorpio always wins, they are always the self-proclaimed best!
    Scorpios tend to dominate and control anyone that lets them, or anyone that they find weak.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.