Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: kshirogane's sketchbok

Thanks

kshirogane's sketchbok

Embarrassing enough, I've been illustrating for dA since 2007 using organized frames for people and animals. Since been constantly trying to reform my methods.

I figured that if all was in proportion,perspective, and pleasing to the eye, the images using anime conventions was irrelevant.

1-3 done from 2007-2009 with lineart & coloring done in OpenCanvas
    4 and 5 done from 2009 with lineart in Manga Studio and coloring in OpenCanvas.

Attachment 1031029

Attachment 1031031

Attachment 1031032

Attachment 1031033

Attachment 1031034

ps. I solely used Manga Studio because of its ability to correct lines.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Honestly I dont see much of a difference.

Thanks
    You don't have to keep making new threads to post your work, and people are going to tell you that you need to work on anatomy. You want to improve? Try and draw realistically, use reference, and if you want to shade and color do so only in black & white.

Forget focusing on line work, recoloring, manga studio, or any of your special tools and techniques. Pencil or pen, or a simple round brush if you must go digital.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 870 Posts
    I'm beginning to wonder if this poster is even interested in improving. So far, they're spending a lot more time making pointless threads for work they don't intend to improve than actually, y'know, drawing and trying to improve.
    The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nezumi Works View Post
    I'm beginning to wonder if this poster is even interested in improving. So far, they're spending a lot more time making pointless threads for work they don't intend to improve than actually, y'know, drawing and trying to improve.
    Well maybe he can find something to impress us instead of trying to get better yeah?
    (sarcasm)

Thanks
    This is actually my old work.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kshirogane View Post

Which looks exactly the same as your NEW WORK

Seriously there is little to no difference.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kshirogane View Post
    Why are you posting it? There aren't any asspats here for you, so it can't be for that.

You're supposed to be working on getting better, as discussed in the other thread. Show us some new work that shows you're improving.

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks

Thanks
    Please dont post links, we want to see posts here. Still I see very little improvement. Your art has basically stayed the same for 2 or 3 years from the looks of it.

Thanks
    No, no. We can work with this. So let's take a closer look.

First piece:

What's wrong:

Overall, her pose makes no sense. You'd have to strain a lot to keep your back straight while the arms are behind the head like that and one leg lifted. It looks awkward as hell. Her hip is dislocated. there's no way her right leg can be in that location with her butt flat on the bed. Work out where the pelvis is before adding limbs, that's a basic rule. While we're at it, her feet are flat objects and it's hard to tell her right from her left. The feet have very poor construction, and the legs are just tubes. Her left breast seems to be trying to crawl into her armpit. Do you know how her ribcage is oriented so you can place the breasts? How do you know? Her arms are different lengths. Her face is a bit of a mess. Her nose is huge, her right eye is higher than her left, and her mouth seems to have slid downward a bit. The disk that I assume is her ear isn't shaped like an ear and isn't attached to her head. Maybe it's a hair ornament. The bed itself appears to be made of pudding. There's an odd stain on the floor. It can't be a shadow, because it doesn't seem to correspond to what's above it.

Things to work on:

Gesture. Line of action. Anatomy. Simply blocking in the primary forms and figuring out what direction they're facing would be a good start. Hips, chest, head. Go from there. STOP FAKING YOUR HEADS! Hell, stop faking everything. Get some reference and try to look at what things actually look like. Figure out where the bed is (block it out first) before you put her ass on it. Learn a bit about drapery and fabric, even the basics is good. Work on your feet, do them as wedges first and be aware they have sides and a top. Practice all this stuff.

Second piece:

What's wrong:

Right away, the colour is horrible. Never use a gradient like that, it makes your work look ugly. More particularly, it looks like her torso is a flat TV screen. It's lazy and will not make people like what you do. Her fingers are broken. Some of them are far too short for her hand, and they bend in unexpected ways. Her feet, again, are flat objects. Even in profile, we can see some of the rest of the foot, and the foot we see straight on doesn't seem to be pressing against the ground, making it look like she's floating. Again, tubular legs but at least they connect to the body this time. Knees don't look like that. Look in a mirror, for crying out loud, a knee is a TRIANGULAR formation that lies under muscle, fat and skin. The shoulders are oddly aligned, given her arm movement. You have a tangent where her knee touches her other leg. This is a drawing error that you should avoid.

Things to work on:

STOP USING COLOUR! You're really bad at it, and seem to be using it to cover up the fact that your drawing is poor and you don't understand volume yet. So stop doing that and try to communicate form with simple line and shading before trying to work with colour again. I know it gets you asspats at dA, but that's no way to improve. In fact, it holds you back. Again, work on anatomy and gesture, learn how the body moves. Do a lot of studies of actual gymnasts to figure that out. Draw basic shapes several hundred times to give yourself a better sense of three dimensions, which you've very weak on right now. As before, stop trying to fake faces, and learn construction. Look up Andrew Loomis' Drawing the Head and Hands, there's a lot of basic information you need.

Now I don't really expect you to put any of this into practice, given your actions so far. But hope springs eternal, and this way you can't claim you weren't given the information or taken seriously. But it's up to you to prove that you're interested in getting better.

So prove it.

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nezumi Works View Post
    Look up Andrew Loomis' Drawing the Head and Hands, there's a lot of basic information you need.
    Along with that, I'd say look at Fun With A Pencil

You can find both for free right here!

You're weren't really sticking to the reference. Ex, how big her hips are, how far the arm stretches out. Do some exercises from those if you want to improve.

Thanks
    I just read Figure Drawing for all it's Worth and drew sketches based on the charts.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast