Sketchbook: beginner artist
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: beginner artist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

beginner artist

Hello everyone..
    I hope you can help me train my drawing skills and hope to hear critics from everyone who is willing to help me out with my newbee art i will do soon.
    I could say that i did quite some art but i stopped doing it for a year or so and now i have to start all over again. Why? Stress made me quit art. Somehow im still willing to learn art. I suppose you will laugh from me cuz im already 22(quite old for starting art). I really want to learn to draw very well and maybe to find some art job in future but now i need support.
    Now where to start? im very self-taught and did not take any art college... u could say im zero
    At the moment im doing some life drawing, just started. Maybe today i will bring it here.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My first try.. Not very successful drawing.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm from Ireland but now I live in Edinburgh.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there Niurik,

Welcome to the world of aspiring artists. I'm sorry to hear that you quit a while ago, but it's nice to know that you're starting up again with flare. My advice would be that you keep at it, everyone starts somewhere and remember that if you want to become an artist you will never stop working for it!

Your sketch is nice for a first try, just make sure you're actually drawing from your view of the subject and not what you think it looks like. The buttons on the side are quite small compared to those on the actual mouse and rather than having an oval shape it looks to me that the mouse is shaped inwards in the middle with a little lip coming out for the thumb. I suggest you give yourself a time limit.. maybe 30 seconds or so, to do little sketches on your page of the form of the mouse. (or use a different subject, of course) Do lots and lots! Your movements will gain more flow and your confience in line drawing will grow, you'll see.

You should check out some of the tutorial posts around here, they're excellent for everyone who wants to learn the foundations of illustration. Here's an example:

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81332

I hope I helped a bit, best of luck to you!

-Kima.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanx for critics. I need that. I drew that mouse sitting quite uncomfortable and in my view it was little foreshortened. But i see now that buttons are quite little compared to mouse size. Yet im quite bad with drawing shadows/lights with such objects.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tried some Assignments from concept art.. Couldn't figure out what to draw. Im very bad at thinking fantasy.. or drawing from imagination. Second drawing had to be my eye x_O looking at a mirror.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was my first time i tried 30sec. figure drawing. I don't quite think that i drew it successfully but at least i tried. I felt difficulties figuring out where to start to shot best 30sec drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yea...you are on the true way...you should get more quick gestures...you will see their results in figure drawing...nice start!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just keep at it, good start

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start, there is no such thing as "old" when it comes to art 30 secs IMO is a but too fast to start with, feel free to do it on 60 secs. Also grab an anatomy book for artists and learn it (Bridgman,Loomis, etc.).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel really newbie. but its my portrait. Funny part that i was sitting near big mirror and looking at it like slightly down this is why face looks strange.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another few minute drawing only from imagination.. I suck at drawing faces..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trying to learn real life perspective. I know that already but to make sure if im correct with my knowledge. Here is room and i tried to know where horizon and perspectives lines are. Am i correct? on the right top corner lines is quite far from one point perspective. Did i smth misunderstand about it?

If i would want to draw it.. Where should i start? Cuz everything is different in size and perspective. How can i mimic room differently somehow? any hints? I could take measurement and start from that. But i think its quite silly...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can someone give me any suggestions how to start drawing landscape? Can i use photo references, copying? or i should go outside and draw what i see.. I mean doing some more difficult nature like those environment concept artists do.. Any tips?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the top right corner would go to the same vanishing point,its left you live in some kind freaky mc escher universe..

you can use photo ref,depends what you want to draw.Obviously if you want to draw things that aren't in your country you have to use reference.

I would start out by trying to put basic objects into perspective.draw your room.

"The one hope of producing better work is through the conception,not the material"
    -Andrew Loomis

MY BLOG

MY SKETCHBOOK

AnimationForum

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start. I think you should study from real life or photos and use what you learn from studying to make your own things from imagination. Also, when making a post, you should click the go advanced button and use the attachment manager instead of uploading things through imageshack.

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Samszym For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello again.. Cant sleep.. so tried some quick sketching on landscapes from observation(photos) I suppose u noticed that i don't have a scanner so picture quality is horrible. Sorry..

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd recommend you to take at least several art lessons. This is really important if someone could explain basics to you and check how you got it. Also I like Lee's book, he explains basics really good and in right order, think you should draw simple cube, sphere, cone etc., but make it without a rush. The same I think about people - first study basis of human figure and than do quick sketches. Hope it helps a little
    Good luck!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to in2eternity For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,338 Times in 1,203 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by niurik View Post
    Trying to learn real life perspective. I know that already but to make sure if im correct with my knowledge. Here is room and i tried to know where horizon and perspectives lines are. Am i correct? on the right top corner lines is quite far from one point perspective. Did i smth misunderstand about it?
    Hi there. Parallel lines will go to the same vanishing point on the horizon. So if a line doesn't go to the same vanishing point as another line, the two lines are not parallel.

You can see this by taking a picture of a stack of blocks that are turned in different directions. If you draw lines through them you will see that the lines don't meet up in the same place. That's also what 2-point perspective is about.

Now, you would assume that a door and a shelf would both be square and lined up, but the world is not perfect so they might not be perfectly square or even. It's better to draw the lines exactly as you see them and then think about what that says than to try and fake the lines and force them to the same vanishing point.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

21. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi and thank you for tips.
    Going to art school is impossible cuz its very hard to get there and expensive too. The reason that there's only one art academy out here. So somehow i must learn by myself.

Trying to learn character/figure drawing should i first learn anatomy/proportions by heart and then try to draw smth from photos?
    How much i should learn anatomy to draw good? I found it difficult to remember those muscles and bones..

By drawing simple forms. U mean drawing simple objects like lamp or apple?

What are the best drawing books to learn figure? I heard loomis and brightman are great artists to learn from.
    Lee's book? What is the full name of the book?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How much i should learn anatomy to draw good? I found it difficult to remember those muscles and bones..
    From what I've read, you don't ever really stop learning anatomy. There's no point where you graduate from learning the basics to being a good artist. Good artists are good because they've mastered the basics, the know their anatomy, value, and color really, really well, but that doesn't mean they put down the anatomy books and never make a muscle study again. No matter how good an artist is, he/she's still learning and getting better. That's what I think anyway. Loomis and Bridgeman are great to learn from, you can get bridgeman's complete guide to drawing from life, which is kind of a compilation of all his books, at a lot of bookstores, and you can find loomis' books online, They're out of print. Bridgeman's books are online too if you need them. Good luck!

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are more studies which i just did.

Attached Images Attached Images      

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wink

ey dude its never too lait!!! just kipp itt upp your doing good just kipp studing and you vill be awsom in no tim rock on

my sb:http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=169044&page=2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello again all.. For quite a while im practicing to draw faces better at now im really stuck with painting(with pencil) face round parts like cheek or other parts to show that its different plate. Can anyone show me or explain me more how to do that correctly(to show different face planes(plates)). I just cant find anywhere how to do that correctly.

Members who have read this thread: 2