Loath to Practice Crisis

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Loath to Practice Crisis

Having worked memorizing skeletal anatomy all year, with only the arm and hand bones to go, suddenly the thought of practice seems intolerable. Like being stuck inside when outside the day is a glory of blue skies and sunshine.

I'm obsessively diligent and thorough, and feel learning anatomy is equivalent to learning musical scales. Of course what I really wish to do is compose beautiful pictures to satisfy an increasingly hard to ignore aesthetic craving, and enjoy the total absorption such work provides, but like a Raphael with No Hands, first I must learn to crawl before anything else.

I've given myself a five year plan of informal study, in which this year I work on the skeleton; next year the muscles and face; the third year perfecting gesture drawing and perspective; fourth year rendering, shadows and value; and the fifth year colour and experience with various mediums.

Now Starcraft 2 has come out and drawing is no longer the sparkly wonderful thing it was. In fact, I feel a desire to abandon it completely, like a capricious husband forsaking his newly wed bride in favour of a fresh conquest.

Should I resist the temptation, and continue doggedly with my drawing practice? Force myself to work, even though it feels like the dead end of the world, and all the wonderful things are happening elsewhere? Is this the narrow gate that only few pass through? The trial which must be overcome if one is ever to attain mastery?

Has anyone ever continued through this feeling for better or worse?

On the other hand, maybe clinging to my drawing ambitions will be like holding my breath? The greater I persist, the more complete will be the suffocation. Maybe I must let go, and refresh myself in another diversion, and if drawing really means anything to me at all, it will come back. Maybe a kind of duality must assert itself, whereby a sustained growth in skill must occasionally be refreshed by something different. Like in nature there is summer and winter.

Does anyone here have an unswerving interest in drawing, and such a dilemma as mine is incomprehensible? They cannot wait until their next chance to improve their skills? Is this why the great masters become so accomplished - because they have an almost savant monomania?

I feel once I attain a certain level of competency, where I am finally able to draw with some degree of fluency and express my ideas, this won't be a problem. If I feel like painting, I will paint. If I feel like playing Starcraft 2, I'll do that. My frustration is that I haven't even begun to explore my potential, and the clock is ticking. I'm scared all the subtle tricks I've learnt thus far could easily be forgotten.

Anyway, I would appreciate views and anecdotes concerning this dilemma.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    JESUS CHRIST ON A FLYING PONY, I can't UNDERSTAND you people!
    You drain every bit of pleasure out of the process, you turn ART into WORK, and then you complain because YOU LACK INSPIRATION?
    OF COURSE YOU DON'T WANT TO DO WHAT YOU'RE DOING. NOOOOOOOOBODY DOES.

Draw what you like. Draw because you enjoy it. Not because you want to show off your awsum artz and get pats on the head and cookies, not because of what you hope to do SOMEDAY, but because you enjoy DRAWING. Exploring. Creating. Learning. Because that's the ONLY WAY to get good. THE. ONLY. WAY.

And if you don't enjoy it, DON'T DO IT.
    STOP.
    Find something worthwhile to do with your life.
    Please.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

4. The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 681 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    JESUS CHRIST ON A FLYING PONY, I can't UNDERSTAND you people!
    You drain every bit of pleasure out of the process, you turn ART into WORK, and then you complain because YOU LACK INSPIRATION?
    OF COURSE YOU DON'T WANT TO DO WHAT YOU'RE DOING. NOOOOOOOOBODY DOES.

Draw what you like. Draw because you enjoy it. Not because you want to show off your awsum artz and get pats on the head and cookies, not because of what you hope to do SOMEDAY, but because you enjoy DRAWING. Exploring. Creating. Learning. Because that's the ONLY WAY to get good. THE. ONLY. WAY.

And if you don't enjoy it, DON'T DO IT.
    STOP.
    Find something worthwhile to do with your life.
    Please.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Respectfully speaking but if someone told me that I wasn't allowed to draw anything but bones for an entire year I'd tell them to shove it.

I'm kinda getting the impression that you're trying for way to much anatomy/detail and you're not actually drawing the entire person. Try working on everything including bones/skin/face/shading and trying to improve in all areas rather than becoming an expert at bones and then moving onto muscles.

That's what I'm trying to do now. Sometimes my shading looks terrible but the body is good or vice versa. But by allowing myself to draw a complete person even though I don't have perfect anatomy or shading keeps my interest a lot more than just drawing bones over and over.

Also let yourself draw other stuff besides people. I get the impression that sometimes people (including myself) focus so much on the main subject of a piece that we never learn how to draw things like rocks, grass, trees ect, then we have to place out beautiful person on a plain white boring background. XD

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reutte For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    if Jesus on a flying Pony doesn't give you inspiration then what can

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GOOD NEWS EVERYONE: You dont need to have a "five year plan" - the most effective way to learn anatomy is to bloody well draw the human body, from life or from photos. Learn how it works instinctively and artistically, with some technical backup, or you will SMOTHER YOUR SOUL.

CRITIQUE AS YOU WOULD BE CRITIQUED
    http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59
    THE ABOVE LINK IS ALL YOU NEED

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=200044 <- Sketchbook - filled with unhappy things.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mordus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,163 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I second Noah's vote.

What is UP with this idea that you can somehow force-feed yourself art skills. That's NOT how you learn to draw! Not if you want to stay sane, anyway. It's not like memorizing a bunch of facts and then you pass a test and voila, you can draw now!

I've given myself a five year plan of informal study, in which this year I work on the skeleton; next year the muscles and face; the third year perfecting gesture drawing and perspective; fourth year rendering, shadows and value; and the fifth year colour and experience with various mediums.
    And WHY are you trying to separate the learning process into tiny parts like that? You're trying to take all the factors that go into a picture, learn them separately, and then put them back together again! OF COURSE it's no fun! OF COURSE you're not getting anywhere!

You'd do much better trying to make pictures. With bodies and heads and faces and light and form and space and color and composition in them. All at once. You know. DRAWING. PICTURES. That's how you learn to draw pictures. By trying to draw pictures. And you learn all the stuff that goes into making a picture as you draw.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I believe anatomy studies (and any other studies) is something you do on the side of your personal work. Locking yourself in the room and studying bones for months will most likely lead to death of creativity. Your art is reflection of who you are as a person. If you sacrifice your personal developement for just daily robotic drawing from anatomy books without experiencing and interpreting world around you then after few years of such brain torture you'll most likely end up creating meaningless empty pictures. It just won't be something memorable. Only pictures about well proportioned characters.

Last edited by Farvus; July 31st, 2010 at 12:23 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the views, but not quite what I'm after. I entirely agree that if something is not enjoyable, one would be better spending their precious time on that which is of greater interest. Though sometimes, for example, I find myself halfway through a novel not feeling particularly enthusiastic, yet push on and am glad for that sense of completion.

I certainly don't limit myself to drawing exercises, but feel a need for some structure to my study. I like meeting goals, and apply it to whatever takes my fancy.

My dilemma is better understood like this: if someone has a girlfriend, who they once really loved, but things are growing a bit stale and predictable, and then along comes a new woman, with all the allure of fresh novelty, should one remain loyal to the girlfriend, or seek after the fresher conquest? Perhaps my question is better suited for a philosophy forum or something. Thanks anyway.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Naw, you got the right place. People are just used to answering same types of questions over and over, that's all.

As for your question, I hope you'd stick with the girlfriend. But for art, my answer depends on how easily you can get back into a routine. If you took a week-long break to let yourself play StarCraft, for example, could you go back to studying anatomy at the end of it?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    My dilemma is better understood like this: if someone has a girlfriend, who they once really loved, but things are growing a bit stale and predictable, and then along comes a new woman, with all the allure of fresh novelty, should one remain loyal to the girlfriend, or seek after the fresher conquest? Perhaps my question is better suited for a philosophy forum or something. Thanks anyway.
    Um............ Good luck with relationships, man.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphane View Post
    In both situations, you should do whatever you think best, these aren't decisions anyone else can make for you. And by asking these sorts of questions, what it seems like you are doing is fishing for justification for the decision you have already made.

Oh, and terrible ham-fisted metaphor, BTW.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This reminds me of that Harry Potter book with the fat toad teacher.

"Just study that chapter and if you've studied it long enough you'll pass the test?"

"But ma'am, how are we supposed to pass the test without practicing any of the techniques or spells?"

You have to apply what you learn. I think a better way to approach figures would be to draw figures and go "Hmm, this arm looks weird, lets do some studies of the arm and find out how the muscles work and how it's supposed to look when being used this way. . ."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If Starcraft is your highest priority, then by all means, go ahead and spend your time with that. I just wanted to chime in as a former gamer and say that I get it--games are addictive, and you wind up spending all that time you should have been doing something rewarding and worthwhile playing them instead.

Well, I don't game anymore. It's easy! Just don't buy the games. Drawing isn't always SUPER FUN, a lot of times it's downright hard, but if you enjoy it and care about making it then you'll keep doing it. If you don't, then like Elwell has already said far better than I could--why bother? Do what will make you happy in the long run.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Lamp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I totally agree with all the resposnes you've received from others, but I'm kind of familiar with what you're saying, I just don't let it bother me like it's bothering you.

One of my biggest problems is that I get shit from my dad in the form of "If I were you I'd love to be able to use my talent to make people happy." He REFUSES to understand that what I draw doesn't every interest him anyway, so I have to draw things I don't particularly want to in styles I don't want to. And there's something HORRIBLE about feeling like you HAVE to do things - like you've expressed. It instantly becomes a chore. I had every intention of doing a painting of my grandparents of their old dog, but when dad uttered the words "You should do it soon becuase they won't be around much longer!" and that I "should want to do it for them" it instantly became something I was dreading doing.

I often feel like I don't have enough time to do all the things I enjoy doing. I will go extended periods with little or no drawing because of other interests. It means I'm never going to have the opportunities I would if I practised daily consistantly, but I think it's healthier to give yourself some room if you need to. The joy of doing art is too fragile to risk damaging. And I'd rather enjoy it. People are different.

Many people take drawing very, very, very seriously... But they wouldn't be able to if they wern't enthusiastic about it in the first place. And If you can't take it so seriously, stop beating yourself up over it. You'll end up happier and, ironically, making more art!

Art Blog | CA Sketchbook

True progress means matching the world to the vision in our heads.
    But we always change the vision instead.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im not sure what you want with art? Do you want it as a hobby or do you want to work with it?
    and that times is ticking away for you well I do belive that if you deeply want something and really love it. Its never to late you just have to work abit harder to reach your goals.

just have a look into this thread. Wow this was just....all my respect to Jason.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=144069

But I can understand you aswell. I also play games but yeah you gotta make art into something fun and if you dont think its fun and worth the time. Maybe you should just take it easy for a moment and figure out what goals and dreams you want to have.
    if you figure out what art is for you. then perhaps you can figure out what to do. Play games or draw.

Good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hahah starcraft 2 is like a new, hot woman? Cmon man its just a game

"We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams."

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've taught figure drawing for years and always believed that most do it bass ackwards. Learn to draw first and then if you are inclined get into the intricacies of anatomy. I don't care if you know the human figure from the inside out, if you can't draw it won't matter. Draw what you love an especially draw from life. I also believe we put this romanticized notion on the whole Zen thing of pulling a bow string for a year before we even notch an arrow. Most of us are not from that culture or time and must learn to learn in different ways. Draw from life and supplement with the innards.

Bill'sStudio

26. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to bcarman For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 870 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I play online games too (WoW), but when the school term starts I stop my subscription, stick it away and don't touch it until the holidays. That takes away the temptation (even though Cataclysm is supposed to be out in November) so I can concentrate on what's really important. When it comes down to it, do I really want to be someone who does nothing but absorb the work of others? To consume creativity but create nothing myself? That's why I'm attracted to art in the first place, because I can create and be a contributing part to the world.

Games have their place. TV has it's place. But to me, art is my life.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That's a pretty terrible analogy. It's not like art is going to leave you because you're sleeping with Starcraft 2. You can fuck both of them. Neither one cares.

It's all about how you want to spend your time vs. what you want to accomplish. You can't practice art 24-7. You're not complaining about all that sleep interfering with your practice. You can easily play Starcraft for an hour after you've gotten the practice in. So the real issue is that you find your practice boring. You're not sure you want to spend five years on this. Which is fine -- it's not compulsory to be an artist. You could quit today and the only person who would care is you.

Personally, I'd try a different approach to it before giving it up forever. Your method sounds tedious as all fuck.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

30. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nezumi Works View Post
    I play online games too (WoW), but when the school term starts I stop my subscription, stick it away and don't touch it until the holidays. That takes away the temptation (even though Cataclysm is supposed to be out in November) so I can concentrate on what's really important. When it comes down to it, do I really want to be someone who does nothing but absorb the work of others? To consume creativity but create nothing myself? That's why I'm attracted to art in the first place, because I can create and be a contributing part to the world.

Games have their place. TV has it's place. But to me, art is my life.
    Yep I can definitely relate with this one...since I was a former gaming addict back then...one of my very first steps towards is when I asked myself "These characters are cool! Will I be able to create something as awesome as this?"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...for example, I find myself halfway through a novel not feeling particularly enthusiastic, yet push on and am glad for that sense of completion.
    What strange self flagellation you have going on there...I read tons and will always put a book down unfinished if I find myself having read a few chapters in a row with virtually no appeal.

I mean there are so many great books in the world why on earth would I waste the short time I have here on ones I don't even like? And especially for a reason involving some daft sort of smuggery? Jesus.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's a pretty terrible analogy. It's not like art is going to leave you because you're sleeping with Starcraft 2. You can fuck both of them. Neither one cares.
    +1

I really don't get all this oooh woah is me give up everything and focus on art and spend you're whole day doing it every day.

That's... great, if you enjoy it. If you're somone, like me, with other interests then it would be suicide! It feels like some people here shun those who don't spend every waking hour drawing. Practise, practise, practise is the only way to get better and I don't for one second on my scedule think I could ever be as good as many who work at it daily (or even many who dont! lol), but there's more important things to me than just art.

Art Blog | CA Sketchbook

True progress means matching the world to the vision in our heads.
    But we always change the vision instead.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Buy only games that aren't multiplayer games like WoW or such. After a while you have done all there is to do and you'll get bored from playing it too often and will do other stuff instead like drawing.

Then you get both your gaming and drawing - and save money on subscriptions which you can spend on that new cool Wacom Intuos4 or that anatomy doll you wanted for some time.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Games are addictive, period. Some are worse than crack, I hear. Personally, I played Everquest and Everquest 2 for years. Then, I realized that I was throwing my life away on nothing. I stopped for awhile, picked it back up, stopped, etc. Now, I play games on Facebook until Diablo 3 comes out. Then, I'll partake again (Sorry, but I've played every Diablo version since the beginning. Love the genre).

Honestly, you can play games without getting overly drawn in. I play a number of cool Facebook games, but they don't take over my time completely. Why? Because they aren't as addictive to me as art is. Do I sit around drawing the human body until it's perfect, then move to the next body part? OH HELL NO!!!!! You'll never get me to spend that much time on one type of art right now. I switch from painting to digital to drawing to sculpture to digital....blah blah blah.

In short, I do what I like to do, right now, in the medium I want.

Sure, you can allow games to suck your life away. I know a lot of people who have done that. Someone should form a Gamers Anounymous group with as addictive some of these games are.

Whatever you decide to do...put yourself on a schedule with the game. Only play for 2 hours a day 3 days a week. You'll be less likely to get completely sucked in that way...unless that's what you are looking for. If it is...we'll see you after you get out of rehab. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Everybody sucks when they start. Everybody sucks from time to time, no matter how much experience they have. You have permission to suck. What you don't have is permission to make yourself miserable.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,209 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following

37. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Serpian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think, that if you love art, and are creating art, it is never work. in fact it may be work to stop. I understand that forcing in the studies are hard annoying and often times just down right awful, but then stop. Its much like trying to study a text book. if you read and read the text book for hours and hours at a time, you may think you are studying, but in reality, after about 20-60 minutes (depends on your attention span) you are just staring at the words on the page. your not retaining anything and the sun has gone down, and now you really need to read, so you go back to staring blankly at the page.
    basically you need to take a break every now and again.

i feel you on the studies, because i have just begun them. no, coping another's art is not fun, but i am driven to get better. i don't expect to get better over night, but i am already seeing the world differently. i study because i want/ need to get better. this is not for anyone else, only me. I love to draw, but i don't love what i create, so i am trying to work on making things i can love. these studies are not getting in the way of life, life gets in the way of my studies.. damn life.

as far as games.... well i was addicted to games, then i became broke, so i went cold turkey. occasionally i will play games and get that same rush, but i don't allow it to over take me. what i have decided though, because i still enjoy becoming lost in these worlds is to mix my love of games and art. hopefully i about 5 years i'm hoping to be at least in the lowest levels of game animation. keep your fingers crossed for me.

art is hard. it is like a sport... the only way to learn it is through practice. you could read thousands and thousands of art books, but i feel that until you put your pencil to paper (stylus to tablet, charcoal to new print, etc) you cannot be an artist. this is not the case with math, or english, or the sciences. yes for other fields you become better by using them in a real environment, but it isn't necessary, so long as you can comprehend them. art is the opposite. you can understand the living hell out of art, but until you really use art, you are not going to get better.

any way, with your GF metaphor, the grass is always greener on the other side, and i hope i have been some help. you only get to live once, so do what makes you happiest.

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    serpian... everyone knows all flying ponies have wings.... duh...

morphane, take a break from studying bones for a while... entirely.. do whatever you want.... come back in 2 weeks and then see how you feel... cuz i dont think its Art v starcraft... its you not wanting to keep up with your routine... so dont.. i mean honestly if you want to be like the great masters, youre going to have to call one of them and ask them how... but having doubts about whether you should give Art up for Starcraft 2 is NOT the right way... its ur decision, not ours

("Art" just for you Elwell")

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.