Art: Feedback for my Logo Design Appreciated!!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Feedback for my Logo Design Appreciated!!

Hello everyone, I would like some opinions on the design below, it is a logo design to enhance my website (basically an artist profile type site with contact info, gallery links and a small shop where I sell my sculptural works). The website is ugly and rudimentary so I am putting together the graphical elements to get it up and running properly. I am not a graphic designer or anything so thoughts from those who are, are especially welcomed!!!My work is fantasy/sci-fi based by the way, so I wanted something which would work with both art styles....

website logo/front end

Product label for my first release (previously done some freelance stuff for others)

thanks all!!

dfb

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I would at least play down the background texture elements, if not eliminate them entirely. The logo itself gets really lost against them.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The logo is the same texture as the background, effectively killing your logo's silhouette. Aside from what Ellwell said. You went a little effect crazy. The first thing I learned about digital is you need to make it look natural.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont really know, but I think a logo should be able to be read small or far away. Simplification is sometimes good.

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeYoakum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

simple is key

Yeah your logo should be simple, what you have now looks like it belongs in a computer game and not on your business card. If you used Photoshop I would advise using Adobe Illustrator for your logo. Illustrator makes vector art and no matter what size you choose to make it later on it will retain it's high quality. I suggest getting rid of the background shield looking things and focus on the name. Or you can make a small simple image and incorporate it with the text.

I do like the "dfb"font choice you made it communicates fantasy/sci-fi perfectly. I would advise looking at logo examples and research. Draw as many thumbnail sketches as possible then choose the best one and expand on it. Hope this helps and good luck I also just launched my website so I know is a lot of work but it's worth it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to chamanc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all the comments. I can understand the simplicity thing being highly important in the world of corporate logo design. For my needs it serves more of an illustrative function as well. The front welcome screen to the website needs to be filled for example - hence the rusty plating background. The reason I used the same texture on the lettering was because I was a little stuck for ideas on what idea could sit alongside the rusty copper theme. I would consider the "dfb" and "studio" lettering to be the true logo with the plates serving decorative purpose only. I have lightened the plate behind the "f" so that looks better now although I haven't worked on a seperate simplified lettering logo yet as getting the website design right is first job now I have a graphical theme in my head. I would imagine I would use this on something like a business card, but I seriously have no use for business cards at this stage of my setup.

chamanc - glad you like the lettering I did. I did the basic shape of the lettering design in clay as a little logo stamp for the bottom of my sculpture and I decided that it looked quite good so I sketched it and drew it in photoshop with the pen tool. Then I tweaked the edges with the eraser tool and went texture crazy I guess. I'm glad I got a shape i like, although with the f running quite low down it is a space hungry design.

Thanks all.

dfb

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Simplicity is important for any logo, not just corporate ones. Logos are meant to convey their message in an instant in any context; the more complex their design, the less readable they become both in and outside of their "original" purpose. That doesn't preclude having an illustrated logo, but even illustrated logos should be designed with the assumption they'll be reproduced at a variety of sizes and in different mediums. For example: business cards, letterheads, packaging, pens, envelopes, posters, billboards, etc.

As others have pointed out, the heavy use of textures causes your name to be lost amidst the plated background. Personally, I'd suggest dropping the plating all together. It's saturated, heavy, and dark, and it completely overwhelms the image of your work in the label sample you posted. Your lettermark (the initials of your name) is graphically interesting enough to stand on its own, and it's more readable.

Even then I'd suggest scaling back the amount of texture and value variation in the letters themselves. There's a bit too much happening and they will detract from other images the logo is paired with. Also, now that I think about it, the rust texture combined with the nails doesn't say sculpture to me. It says metalworking. If your specialty is sculpting, then I'd drop the metal texture all together and find something subtle in the stone category.

Also experiment with a gentle gradient or single-color options; single color in particular will make it easier to place the logo against different backgrounds in your labels, or if others wish to use it to advertise your work.

Attached Images Attached Images  

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Senira For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks very much for taking the time to do that little demonstration of readibility there Senira, I actually came across that the other day whilst doing some resizing of the logo playing around and noticing it was tough to see small. Unfortunately I don't have the benefit of an artistic education and so lack knowledge in these things, one reason I posted here to see what trained people would think of what I have done!

To explain my purpose with this endeavour, I am basically learning to sculpt models that get produced in resin for painters, collectors and wargamers. After doing a few pieces I started to get commissions and suggestions that I should start to do something with my work. Hence all of this, although mine is a small scale operation at the moment. I just want to get the logo right and graphical look right as I do know that logo changes later are definately not a good thing (as in the UK kitchen towel product "Charmin" which must have had three name changes by now!). I will be working on a simple version of the lettering and see what I can come up with. The idea of the plating is to convey an image associated with fantasy/sci-fi kind of steampunk which combines both themes well. Stone is not really relevant necessarily to the idea that I wish to convey. It just has to say fantasy/sci-fiction. Rusty metal is perfect because it is seen alot in the painted final product of the type of models that I will be making. For example weathered, battle scarred armour, tanks, science fiction diorama models etc. I do think it is perfect to convey both settings. I will try and make that lettering pop out of it and use the plating as an illustrative element where space needs to be filled.

As to the product label, I personally think it is very eyecatching, all the elements look well placed to my eye. The logo is lost yes, but I think the colours and layout work well with the product photography I did. I have no doubt many people could do miles better but I am not a graphic designer!!

To give some idea of similiar, though professional companies doing what I do, here are the links to their sites (and obviously logos..

http://www.kraken-editions.com/en/index.html
    http://www.wyrd-games.net/
    http://www.enigmaminiatures.com/http....com/index.php

As a small example selection..

Thanks again!

dfb

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.