Thanks

Paris or Barcelona?

I'm planning a month long journey through Europe in September. For two weeks i'll be traveling through London and Ireland with friends but I have an extra two and a half weeks for myself. I have two choices, I can go to Paris or hit up Barcelona. Both sound incredibly fun and inspirational for my art. However, there is so much I want to see but so little time. What should I do? I'd love to hear what people think!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Why not both? You have a fair bit of time.

Thanks
    Barcelona every time.

Thanks
    Tough one. Having been to both I'd say Barcelona is cooler.

Thanks
    Craig D: Might have to do that! There both hard to pass up.

DuneFishUK: Oh Ya? You've been there? I don't know too much about Spain or Barcelona but I do know it has amazing night life and good food. Sounds like my cup of tea.

Sticks: Its looking like I might have too. I'm gonna do the Hostile and couch surfing deal so it should be pretty interesting. Can't wait to go.

Thanks
    Barcelona is really cool yes, but here's my 2 cents if you go there: Be aware of your wallet at all times! and have fun

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Aenhimal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I came here expecting tons of votes in Paris' favor.

Casting another vote for Barcelona. Beautiful city.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts

Thumbs up

Never been to Paris but Barcelona is way cool.

Attachment 1032050

It kinda reminded me of a ridiculously hot Edinburgh..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Skip Barcelona. Wrap up warm and hit Edinburgh!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Whichever has the best food.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Hmm. Barcelona seemed to be mostly cakes, pastries, ice cream and weapons grade coffee..

I dare say Paris wins for cuisine, Barcelona takes the Sugar Rush / Caffeine buzz trophy.
    Last edited by Flake; August 1st, 2010 at 11:36 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Eesh. Pick Paris.

Thanks
    Go to the Catalan Capital.
    Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    If you want to paint outdoors, Barcelona has great parks and the city is beautiful. If you want to see the world's best museums, or at least Europe's best, go to Paris. With over two weeks you could also do both and still see a great deal. Here's an itinerary:
    Paris, days 1-3 Go to the Louvre and bring a sketchbook, be sure to check out the Frans Hals, Delacroix, Renaissance hall, and the sculpture garden. Day 4-5 Musee D'Orsay. The late afternoon of that last day, go check out the Pompidou. Top floor has the modern art collection, and see what temporary exhibits they have. Day six in Paris see if the Orangerie is open, go there, if not, go look up the Picasso Museum, the Monet museum, near the Eiffel tower, and there's another little museum there of Impressionist art that has some great Morisot.

Okay, in the meantime enjoy the food. Then in Barcelona, definitely go into the unfinished Gaudi Cathedral, and climb to the top. Take your sketchbook to the park. They have a nice Picasso museum with a lot of his early work. It's worth seeing. I think they also have a nice random art museum with a lot of great Spanish painters and sculptors, even the benches were works of art. They also have an Antony Tapies museum, but honestly.... well it wasn't my cup of tea. Turning a canvas around backwards and hanging a pair of pants over it isn't for me. But there are some Gaudi buildings around that are worth looking at and the Park Guel has Gaudi's house you can walk through, and see his drawings.

You know, I bet you could spend just 4 days in Barcelona and see much of what you want. Spend more time in Paris. And walk everywhere so you get a feel for the city.

Thanks
    Ditch Barcelona, hit Madrid.

No, seriously, way cheaper.
    気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    Madrid has better museums too. But both are great cities.

Thanks
    Aenhimal: Thanks for the tip. I will!

Armonah: I was surprised too. I'm still undecided....aarrggg

Flake: Thanks for the sweet pics man. That looks like heaven. except that you forgot to add the cute Spanish chicks. lol

Psychotime: Finally someone votes for the obvious! If I can get me friends to pull through than I'll have a place to stay for a couple days there. If It goes through than I'm going.

Brendan: Isn't Barcelona the capital of Catalan?

Tasmith: Perfect!!! I got my whole trip figured out. Thanks for the helpful tips. I'll try to mush all that into my schedule. Can't wait!!!

Quike Garcia: For reals? That might be a better idea but we'll see. Once I get to London I might have the opportunity to meet people that live there who can offer their couch or something. I basically want to be in a location where there's cool people, lots of thing to do that are close by. I'm gonna have to do some more research.

Tasmith: So many choices but I'm thinking I can't really lose with any of these cities.

Has anybody ever tried couchsurf.com?

Thanks
    Another thing you should watch out for about Barcelona is that it's probably gonna be hotter there than you can think. Take the temperature that is shown and then add a bit, because it's dry (and yet moist at the same time) and overcrowded.

But if you plan on staying in hostels I suggest you check up on the ones in the "square streets area" (sorry, don't remember what it was called) before making up your mind. I've been to barcelona twice. First time I stayed at your average hostel somewhere not so near the city centre but the second time we found an amazing hostel just two minutes walk away from the Grambla and it was even cheaper. If I have time tomorrow I might try to look up the name for you, it was a seriously cool hostel.

Also if you go to Barcelona then Gaudi should be your word, but I'm guessing you already know that.
    Last edited by nofu; August 3rd, 2010 at 02:44 AM.