Thanks

Neo Conceptual Glitz Bullcrap

I foughtmyself trying to post this. I cant d ecide.

Fair warning: this is fundamentally a flame as I see art currently being abused (not by all but by many).

I actually re wrote this many times and for the sake of arguement I will condense into one topic and maybe later on in my life when I understand the problem mroe and have researched it I will make a bigger post

The idea here is me yelling at the naked art that is abound. I feel like art has been raped and ransacked with people calling anything done as art. Farting on a canvas and outlining it.. Boom a million dollar gallery piece.

Wtf?

Its not as simple as that I know but thats what it seems art has befallen. I speak now of a local callery showing at Uni South Florida by some University artist in the area (UCF, USF, and Uni Tampa where I go). Essentially al lthe art there sucked. They were just ideas. Questioning the artist (all professors mind you) brought them second guessing and repeating their art was nto done in fact these were just some sketches or ideas etc. They seemed very unprepared. I feel insulted. To see me associated with such lack of creativity in the pieces being an artist, it was nasueating.

Ok sure I'm a student, who the hell am I to judge art? Well its my stab at it to at least understand, because fundamentally, i see art as one thing: giving life. Giving life to a piece of canvas, bringin words alive, moving audiences. Its all art. But with the current lack of dpeht and creativity in the field I begin to quesiton it. In fact movements like minimalism and neo coneptual glitz are appauling to me. The whole idea now of just selling the product and not caring what else happens to it. If people will buy it than why bother going any further? New Unfinished Sugar coated bull.

However I do udnerstand some studios who strive in minimalism (I think I might e confusing the too but I get a connotation of emptiness out of minimalism) to achieve unity, whole, objective work. To reach perfection and infinity, and eliminate everything: what do you get? Nothingness. They seem to have achieved that wholey (the popular big white wall and the blue square in the middle is an example of their work - who they are I cant recall but I do remembver my prof telling me about them).

But at the same time theres this whole another garbage in which the greats liek Frida Picasso and Dali just exploded and their pieces are now being bargained on the black market of art, who can get the most for their prize? Thats it. It feels as if no one bothers further pushing their work, or exploring a deep creativity here. yes this is a whole ntoher arguement: what makes Dali and PIcasso great, what makes them better than the other artist who lived like Polluck etc? But I rather focus on now the people who sell art and how blank it is.

I cant really relate or point to anything here but its just a feeling I get when i see art now and when I saw this "gallery" showing of art. SO dead so blank, just ideas and nothing more, unfinished and brutally horrifying to look at.

One critic: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/2380393.stm

and the current Turner prize winners
    http://www.tate.org.uk/britain/turne...03/artists.htm

Grayson Parry had some decent work.

Then comes the whole other side of digital art. Amazing stuff. As captivating as Dali? W ho knows? Will we see Anry, Mullins and Llewwllyn in the history books? (although kevin does more traditional work). Possibly.

But just take this as me yelling at the current crap of true art, already facing mass ridicule by the world and already an insult for me to be associated with..

There is another side however, some great painters are out there and the work in La Nouba and Cirque Du Soleil (just go to the show and see some of the work they have in the shops they resell) etc. Theres great stuf fthere.

I'm sorry guys i jsut see conceptualism as crap. I understand and respect the exploration of materials ideas and exploration here and using life objects to see them decay as art etc. But for some reason I fight it.

Am I legally abide to? IS this something artist go against? Can I accuse some artist as being fakes? Is that what i'ma llowed to do? I know the repsonse is yo ucan do whatever you want but I'm looking for responses here, your thoughts. I personally think theres tons of fakes with conceptualism as being the crop of the problem. But can I really say that? Maybe I'm just an angry st udent of art who demands beauty in his own right. Each to their own is the obvious response but I want something deeper here.

Sorry for this post. Flame it, burn it, whatever you wish to do I just had to make iit because I saw it as an insult.

Mods delete if necessary
    Last edited by agentJ; February 29th, 2004 at 08:13 PM.
    "Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up."
    - Pablo Picasso
    :dA:

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Well, this will probably make you feel worse. The Canadian government bought a "piece of art" for 2 millions bucks. What was on the canvas? RED PAINT! That's right, the whole canvas was painted red! That's it! Give your head a shake or what?
    Art gives me a life of extreme challenge, frustration, accomplishment and contentment. Nothing less will do!

Thanks
    the artist must be laughing his way to the bank...
    After all, dog is a dog. A duck is a duck. But a cat is a person.

Thanks
    It's okay if abstract and conceptual and other contemporary art doesn't suit your tastes, but that doesn't mean you should dismiss it as a fluke. Yes there are artists that are fakes and art viewers do make too big a deal of certain artwork. But there are good pieces out there and artist who really are trying hard even if you don't understand their stuff.

Know what you like. Be open to what you don't understand.

It's kind of like with music. Lots of people listen to only one or two styles of music. Some people prefer jazz, others rock. It's personal preferance.

Thanks
    Originally posted by mtw
    It's kind of like with music. Lots of people listen to only one or two styles of music. Some people prefer jazz, others rock. It's personal preferance.
    That kind of art would be more compared to listening to all kinds of music in general but keeping the volume on mute. A kind of art doesn't stem from a LACK of art. Its a lack of creativity; a very simple concept to understand. People are as shallow as what they take in or what they put out and a rembrant only arises through tribulation, not through subterfuge and appeasement.
    "They were born, they grew up in the gutters, they went to work at twelve, they passed through a brief blossoming period of beauty and sexual desire, they married at twenty, they were middle-aged at thirty, they died, for the most part, at sixty. Heavy physical work, the care of home and children, petty quarrels with neighbors, films, football, beer, and, above all, gambling filled up the horizon of their minds."

Sketchbook
    Alex Jones

Thanks
    Originally posted by mtw
    But painting a canvas entirely red and getting two million would be like three minutes of one note getting triple platinum.

-toasty =|

Thanks
    Its not Bullcrap!

Neo Conceptual Glitz Bullcrap

haha, yeah, just kidding!

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    Originally posted by Toaster

But painting a canvas entirely red and getting two million would be like three minutes of one note getting triple platinum.

-toasty =|
    Limp Bizkit?

No really guys, if you don't like it, don't buy it. Art is so much more than well drawn pictures of elves and robots. If it's well rendered realism you crave, you got it. But i tend to think that a canvas entirely painted red makes more sense than a perfectly photographed but terribly boring, or as i see it, often insulting advertisement.
    I wasn't going to write a reply to this post, but please guys, show a little tolerance. Of course it takes skill to draw well, but sometimes that just isn't important. I don't think that concept art is 'art', i see it as a craft. I'm not the greatest fan of modern arts, but i do understand the value it has to some.

The way i see art is this:

No matter how well you draw, it doesn't matter at all if you've got nothing to say.
    And i'm glad that is the way it is, because it means we're all still able to use our heads.

No matter what you've got to say, it doesn't matter if you can't convey your ideas.
    And i'm glad that is the way it is, because it means skill and hard work still pay off.

No matter what you do, some people will like it, some people won't.
    Which means that everybody is entitled to have an opinion. And if you disagree, you're a nazi.

I could rant on about "entartete kunst" and so on, but i think you get the idea. Don't want to get too serious

Thanks
    bin trough the links
    http://www.tate.org.uk/britain/turne...03/chapman.htm
    go below

Jake and Dinos Chapman
    Francisco de Goya 'Disasters of War'
    Portfolio of 80 etchings reworked and improved

you can say what you want but i think it shows a lot of disrespect towards the craftsmen who made this piece

i think art is everywhere not especially in a drawing or a red piece of canvas (wich is basicly economie when i understand the canadian story correctly)
    its all in the eye of the beholder

i define "art" as fine arts witch takes skill , ability and intelligence .

a red piece of canvas is no "art"
    its crap to me , even if the pope of rome pissed and shitted on it and it looks very appealing
    but i will still see the other art in the red piece

aaaargh getting twisted
    :bash: :bash: :bash:
    destruction by creation , creation by destruction

Thanks
    this discussion is old.

go draw.
    Power is nothing without intelligence.

Sketchbook!