Lay the Crtitiques on me
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Lay the Crtitiques on me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lay the Crtitiques on me

A Grim Future, by Jamie Brown (the terminator pic)

http://www.mirrorimagesdesign.com/filmpop-culture.html

This is mixed media. An oil painting with some digital touch ups. I like to combine traditional and digital. I guess I find it gives a bit of a rough edge digital can't do on its own. Plus I love the old school movie posters and hand painted concept design. Anyway, I'm 23 and new to this. Im self-taught, painting and digital work, so I'm just looking for some advice to see if I have a realistic shot at making it as a concept artist. Any tips on working digitally with Photoshop would be awsome as well. P.s. Love the site, some serious talent all over the place.

Cheers,

Jamie.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JamestfBrown; July 27th, 2010 at 09:33 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd say you did a good job on the terminator, but it's weak in terms of composition. All the way on the bottom left corner, the people fighting look out of place, so does the cactus and the explosion. The two biggest issues are

- The background. There's a mini-nuke going off and lasers shooting in the sky, and the sky is just dark, flat, and plain? The smoke is barely visible.

- Detailing: The terminator (foreground) and explosion (background) are the two most detailed things. How come everything in between them is blurry?

It looks like you just put some things together without thinking about how it would affect the lighting.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hippl5 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reply. I have been doing alot of reading on compostion, this was an earlier attempt of mine to try and create a scene. I was going for a specific terminator 2 look, hence the flat and dark sky and the purple. I know its nothing to rave about, but other than composition issues, any suggestions on detailing, lighting, anything like that? I know people must get pretty tired of giving advice and what not so I appreciate that you even looked.

Also, as a sidenote. What are your (concept artists) opinions on using mixed media. I like sketching fully detailed works and adding layers of colour and lighting/shadow afterward. Im not sure how those in the industry feel about that technique however. Would it be wise of me to start painting strictly digitally?

Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm pretty determined and committed, so please feel free to tear me a new arsehole. I need any help I can bringing this thing down to rubble so I can build something solid next go around.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah this is really really good and its unbeleivable in some areas but the only thing is how the lighting affects the overall image, just seems kind of flat and like... i think it needs more depth?
    all in all its pretty amazing...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I know what you mean. I wanted a stark contrast around the terminator to make it pop right off the page. In retrospect I probably should have added a nice firey sunset to the left, cropped the right and drop the fireball, and ditch the second ship on the left.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmm i dont know if you should add or take anything out, but thats just me, I'd like to see just some of the things in the back less intense to make other things pop out more, i just wanna mess with the brightness of certain areas :3

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    For a second there I thought you painted the terminator. You are not so much with the good at composition. I recommend you do some abstract art first with the stock photos in mind. Think about where the eye is going to lead. Right now it's a mess. Everything is just a distraction.

I did a paint over to show you what I'm talking about. The blue line represents an armature. It's the abstract portion that holds it together. I hope this makes since. Composition is hard to explain in one post.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did paint the terminator. Its oil.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there, good piece, regarding painting with mixed media or just digital, does not matter, what they care about is speed, thats all, speed and the ability to make big changes fast.

about the actual piece: i think its a cool start, the problem is like others have tuched on before, the lighting and the colors. the pieces in the picture does not work together as a whole. also the canvas size is a problem here, i whould give the guy a little bit more room for some sky in the top.

did this paintover to show u some things, the problme with this one is the levels, both in value and hue. did some tweaking in photoshop and ended up with this.

i darkened the whole thing, played with the color balance to get that original bluish terminator color. blurred the background some and extended the canvas a little in the top and left side, just painted it in with black.

(this is just a quick fix and could ofc be better)

Last edited by Lotet; August 19th, 2010 at 05:32 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lotet For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.