Sketchbook: The Reapers Sketchbook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: The Reapers Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Reapers Sketchbook

Brand new to concept art, I plan on posting some various stuff here from sketches to digital art. I'm looking for a LOT of general constructive criticism, as well as perhaps some program tips that might help my artwork (I use Photoshop CS3). If I happen to use another program for a piece, I'll make sure to say so. I look forward to improving here . Anyway here's some stuff I've done to start out:

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's an Ironman sketch I did while trying to learn how to shade metallic objects:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a quick study I did while trying to get the hang of PhotoshopCS3:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After some further anatomy and muscle study, I'm beginning to work on a new comic character. Here's some of the first outlining, stage 1 of the whole process if you will:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've pretty much finished the foundation of this now. I've been trying to give her an exaggerated muscular look since she's a super hero, while trying to maintain a feminine look. I might still consider cutting down on some of it, or at least try finding spots where increased muscularity might look better. I have yet to put in the background/scenery, hence why her arms aren't completed. Input would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, so I'm a bit of a newcomer to comic style inking, so I apologize if I miss any "industry-obvious" no-no's. My normal style would be to paint in the depth, but I'm giving this a shot. I'm not quite finished with it yet, some sections still look a bit flat.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! Pretty nice stuff you have here, with some practice and study I think you will do tremendous improvement!
    I see some errors in feature placements in your faces, this is something I'm struggling alot with too at the moment. I don't know if you've read "Drawing the head and hands" by Andrew Loomis, if not I strongly recommend it.
    Something I always think of when I place my guide lines for a face is the general "rules" like the brow line is in ½ of the head, and the bottom of the nose is in ½ between the brow and chin, and the bottom of the lower lip is ½ between the nose and chin. And that the nose is one eye width, and the eyes is one eyes width apart. yada yada.
    you probably understand better from this picture
    The Reapers Sketchbook

Sorry if I just rambled a bunch of stuff you already knew, but this helps me alot when I'm doing heads.

Keep up the good work man!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to alexson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @alexson - Thx for the tip! Yeah I've been struggling with feature placement a bit. And I actually have the very book by Andrew Loomis that that picture is from, I should probably refer to it more often haha.

I apologize for the thread bump without an update, the image I was trying to put up wasn't transferring right because of my crappy wireless internet connection. Lets see if it'll work this time...

So I painted this in a very simplistic style. Nothing fancy... after some more tweaks I should probably get to work on that background...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a quick sketch I did of someone I know. Other than the head not being wide enough and her right arm being at a slightly off angle, I'm happy with this. Just something I did for fun:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After a few days of working on various things, I did something I find worth putting up. Its a request someone gave me to do, "Charon" from Fallout 3.

EDIT: Struggling with the attachment manager at the moment, sry if the image doesn't appear.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start, I'd say on post 11 though her hips aren't wide enough. As general rule women's hips are as wide as their shoulders.
    I like the sketch of that person you know though.

Keep up the studies, looking at what lies under the skin might help you when you're drawing figures too.

Take a look? - Sketchbook - Tumblr -
    Also, why not check these guys too?

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Naidy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, keep working!
    I'd recommend working from Loomis (as well as life and photos) at this point and focusing on really basic figure and head construction and proportion. Just try to understand how to construct a head and figure and their general proportions, and looking at negative space often helps a lot too. I would also recommend trying to lightly gesture in heads and figures, to roughly measure in the proper proportions and shapes before you go in and solidify those lines.

I also wouldn't worry TOO much about Photoshop at this point but I think it would be a good idea to try and do some basic form exercises (shading/rendering spheres and basic shapes) and painting things from life or photo studies to try and get a grasp on form and/or color.

Good luck man. Just remember, the more you draw the faster you get better.
    Hope some of that helps.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Untouched24 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think your moving in the right direction by doing studies. I would encourage you to fill page after page of gesture poses, say 15 - 20 per page, not spending more than 30 seconds per pose. Very quick, loose poses. The idea here would be to loosen up your drawing hand, and to start training your eye & brain about how proper anatomy looks. You'll get much more natural, energetic poses this way.

I swear by this book as well: http://www.amazon.com/Force-Dynamic-.../dp/0240808452

Good start to your SB. I'll check back. Cheers!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Nickodemus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just posting a quick group of studies I did so as to let everybody know I'm still around.
    @Naidy: Yeah I noticed in the back of my mind that something wasn't right there. Thx for the tip! I'll be sure to keep that in mind in future works...

@Untouched24: Yeah I've been trying to squeeze in time to do studies from my Loomis book in between projects. I'm really trying to get a grasp of facial proportions (hence the upload here, tho I have done more than this rest assured) and make it more second nature so I can focus more on details. One step at a time tho right? And I try and work in multiple gestures and lighting angles into my work to make sure I improve. And because of the projects I'm working on, while I do this stuff I'm trying to make sure I can do the photoshop stuff to go along with it. I'll def try to devote more time to proportions and whatnot, but I think it helps to go back and forth so as to not burn out on one thing. The advice is much appreciated! Thx for the input.

@Lunarsis: I do incorporate this into my work actually, I do just that, and then pick what I like from the bunch and use it in my work. I should definitely do this more often just as practice tho. Thanks for the ref as well, I'll be sure to look into it. And thx for the encouragement!

Again to all, thx for the constructive crits! I try and incorporate the advice given more than ya think. Its really a big help, and I look forward to improving because of it!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nothing in real life is made out of skinny lines, everything has 3 dimensions to it, and as a result a wide range of shades. Yeah the line drawings help out a lot with learning feature placement, but always keep in mind that you can see things because of the light bouncing off the different surface angles. Learn where the surfaces are and how they are angled. There's no way to learn a diagram for every angle of the face after all

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Liffey - Thx for the advice!

Sorry I've been away for awhile people, all the recent work I've done are for projects so I haven't been able to put them up. But here's something I'm working on for my comic, a concept piece where I was messing with some effects. I was also experimenting with the color theory that there is no true 'black", so I tried to use color to express depth. Screwed it up a bit cuz I accidentally started on the background layer, but it still came out alright.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Back again! Uploading a piece now that I'm working on for a contest. Keep in mind two things: this is NOT the whole piece, while this bit is close to done, it is part of a much larger picture. Secondly, I can't give away all the information about it, but I'll try to answer questions if anyone has any critiques (they would be appreciated as usual!). Done using photoshop and painter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have returned, after yet another leave , my apologies! Here's a recent piece I did for a friend:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.