I worked at Rockstar Games, sold everything I own to travel & live out of my car...

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I worked at Rockstar Games, sold everything I own to travel & live out of my car...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I worked at Rockstar Games, sold everything I own to travel & live out of my car...

My connections to the CG community run pretty deep, but I've never posted here (I'm doing so based on a suggestion from a friend)...

I won't lie, I'm posting here in an effort to get my "story" out there and perhaps get more people interested in what I'm doing.

I'm a former Rockstar Games employee. I was a Senior Environment Artist on Red Dead Redemption (I worked on a lot of the structures in the game). Although I left for my own personal reasons, you could say they are not entirely unrelated to things mentioned in the "Rockstar Wives" post:

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Rocks...themselves.php

In any case, my leaving Rockstar was a catalyst for bigger changes in my life and ultimately led me to terminating my lease and selling (or donating) everything I own that wouldn't fit into my 4Runner.

For what? For an opportunity to pursue the things I'm most passionate about... photography, travel, writing, adventure, and connecting with people.

I am passionate about CG, too... but, in my experience, there is often a severe penalty for working in games (which is where most of my experience lies). Perhaps I just haven't found the "right" company yet. I'm open.

For the past 80+ days I've been traveling around the country (writing, taking photos...), living out of my car, and doing what the Internet tells me.

Yes, it's completely nutty and I've had to make some sacrifices, but I was tired of being a work robot and watching my life pass before my eyes. So I opted to become part of a real-life adventure.

And that, it definitely has been.

Anyone interested in reading more about what I'm doing can see my site, the hub for everything I'm doing (links to my blog, facebook, twitter, youtube) and there's an intro video of me further down on the main page:

http://zerodean.com

Some people think it's inspiring. Others think it's pretty "out there" (I hear ya). And yet others, like my parents, don't really know what to think.

I've had some amazing experiences, met some amazing people and it's completely changed how I view life in general and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

Happy to discuss it or answer any questions having to do with any aspects of this if anyone is interested.

Last edited by zerodean; July 27th, 2010 at 02:36 PM. Reason: re-ordered images
    Zero Dean

I tried to be normal. It didn't work out.

ZeroDean.com | My Blog
    Facebook Adventure Page
    Follow Me on Twitter
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to zerodean For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 11,001 Times in 2,567 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Zero you are every parents nightmare. And every working joe's inspiration.

What a worthy trip. Thanks for the link.

When Yumiko and I gave away our world and hit Asia to build business and travel on whim it was the best thing I could have done for my life and career at the time. The risks have paid off entirely. A worthy journey...I shall check it out as your trip goes on.

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 30% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So you're saying there's a job opening at rockstar?

I kied, I kied.

Good luck.

Also, my advice for the day, sell your 4runner and buy a cheap campervan, at least you'll have a decent bed while retaining your mobility. Get a laptop and wifi and do freelance to stretch whatever cash you've got.

Last edited by Hyskoa; July 27th, 2010 at 02:42 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyskoa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,001 Times in 2,567 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hahaha That's well seen H. Go for it.

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 30% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've read a lot about the "happenings" at Rockstar. There's a reason why in spite of my growing up with "concept art" in mind, I'm not entirely certain I could stand to work in "the industry" at a studio like that.

It's threads like this that make me proud of what it is I'm looking to achieve as an artist, and as a person.

I might shoot you a PM at some point, I've got a lot of questions, just not ones I'm able to effectively...organize, at the moment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yours is, clearly, a commendable decision. Living life to its most, travelling and feeling, rather than stimulating the sensing through the thinking is truly, an inspiring experience. It might have not crossed your mind, but did you ever consider travelling oversees? I know the gap in the costs are enormous, but at the same time, it can be so grand and rewarding.

Last edited by Klaasillu; July 27th, 2010 at 03:12 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaasillu View Post
    ...did you ever considered travelling oversees? I know the gap in the costs are enormous, but at the same time, so rewarding.
    Yes, absolutely. My first inclination was to travel overseas and I would've very much preferred to do that... but after careful consideration, decided that I could likely get my savings to go further and last longer by staying in the USA.

But if I ever have the opportunity to do something like this overseas, I will!

Zero Dean

ZeroDean.com | My Blog
    Facebook Adventure Page
    Follow Me on Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An opening at Rockstar? Hilarious.

Well, if you'd want to work there after they decided to reward all the people who helped make Red Dead Redemption a hit by doing this...

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2...ion_Studio.php

...then go ahead. On second thought, I think you're a nice guy... so maybe don't go ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyskoa View Post
    Also, my advice for the day, sell your 4runner and buy a cheap campervan, at least you'll have a decent bed while retaining your mobility. Get a laptop and wifi and do freelance to stretch whatever cash you've got.
    The 4Runner actually provides adequate space for a semi-comfortable bed. Not sure a campervan would provide any additional value to what I've got...as I can take the 4Runner to places I wouldn't be able to go in a van... but I hear ya!

I've considered selling the 4Runner and going overseas to some cheap country for a while...

And I'll definitely consider all my options (freelance, etc) when it becomes necessary. I definitely hear you on stretching my cash!

Zero Dean

ZeroDean.com | My Blog
    Facebook Adventure Page
    Follow Me on Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    inspiring! "born to be wild" is playing in the back of my head...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats and good luck on your adventures and enjoy the philosophical quest of new ideas this path will undoubtly take you on. If I had the money and portfolio to allow me to take the time to travel the country, or the world, I'd do the exact same thing as you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well.

Way to go, good man. Getting out of the circuitry and living life!

I'm sorry to hear about Rockstar. There's always the rumors, but stress like that only makes it feel all the better when you (almost literally) cut loose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your kind words everyone.

It's been challenging. I certainly wouldn't recommend it to everyone and I'm not exactly sure where it's going to lead, but it's been something "completely different". Sort of a shock to the system.

For those interested, here's a link to the Google map that shows the path of my travels thus far...

http://bit.ly/bD6N3J

Zero Dean

ZeroDean.com | My Blog
    Facebook Adventure Page
    Follow Me on Twitter

Thanks
    Thanked 5,930 Times in 2,383 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Have a safe journey. Get a copy of "My Travels with Charlie" by John Steinbeck for those quiet nights, he kind of did the same thing at the height of his career.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Have a safe journey. Get a copy of "My Travels with Charlie" by John Steinbeck for those quiet nights, he kind of did the same thing at the height of his career.
    I love suggestions like this. Thank you!

Zero Dean

ZeroDean.com | My Blog
    Facebook Adventure Page
    Follow Me on Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Will you adopt me?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, nothing is like a dream as we would like to be out there. No romantic people survive i guess. You should know that an action like this, reading about the specific experience from a person who does what you dream of, is at least encouraging.
    You are always welcome to Corfu or Larisa (Greece) whenever you decide to go overseas. Just keep up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Erayo View Post
    Will you adopt me?
    Haha, same here!

Good luck with everything, Zero. I wish I could do what you're doing, but I'm only 19 and haven't even had a studio job yet. I'd like to get one before I quit it.

I'm following you on Facebook, by the way. Looking forward to seeing where you go. Make sure it's known on Facebook if you're coming to Austin, TX before next year, or Savannah, GA after Christmas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "For the past 80+ days I've been traveling around the country (writing, taking photos...), living out of my car, and doing what the Internet tells me."

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hippl5 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That's it! You've convinced me! I don't care what anyone thinks! I'm... I'm... taking a summer vacation! (Okay, so that's only a small adventure. But your story makes me want to have some kind of adventure, anyway.)

I think I felt a little bit like that when I was laid off from my full-time job and decided to try freelancing instead of pursuing another full-time job... it felt like a big risk, but the freedom is worth it. What you're doing sounds like that X100... I can imagine it's exhilarating (and scary.)

(Side note: They didn't let you into Canada!? Wow, they must be getting more strict, they used to pretty much just wave people through... Well, in Quebec anyway.)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by zerodean View Post
    Thanks for your kind words.

Yes, absolutely. My first inclination was to travel overseas and I would've very much preferred to do that... but after careful consideration, decided that I could likely get my savings to go further and last longer by staying in the USA.

But if I ever have the opportunity to do something like this overseas, I will!

Come to New Zealand dude. Backpackers here are cheap as chips.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,804 Times in 942 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This is like breath of fresh air to things that are happening here. I like idea and courage to do what you did.

Best wishes

M

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you ever feel like going to either Lisbon (Portugal) or London (England), hit me up. I'll find you a fine place to sleep at, give you a list of some nice places you can go and whatnot. If you fancy the country-side better, I know a couple of friends down on the southside of Portugal. Nice weather, nice beaches, nice mountains, and better even --interesting (ambiguous!) personalities.

If you end up running to England instead, I'll welcome you to London myself. If you do come here, then adventure-man, I recommend you save some pounds and take a train to Scotland, as well. Especially Edinburg and Glasgow. Glasgow, in particular, is an astoundingly beautiful city and embraces such a lovely culture. It's a certain must. I've got connections with a lad there, so you might even have a place to stay (Don't mark my words, as I'm a little uncertain and would yet need to contact him!)

How's the trip going? What have you been up to since your last update? I took a quick peak at your Google Map Route and found it very interesting indeed. That's a brave car you've got there, carrying a even braver man. Best of lucks and jolly grand adventures!

Klaasillu

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here I am driving across the country and minding my own business… thinking my usual, “what the heck am I doing?” thoughts and the endless expanse of flat land confronts me…
    I'm sure it will be worth it in the end

Last edited by Cleverdart; July 28th, 2010 at 02:28 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    When I was a kid in the RAF (my dad was..not me) I always loved the freedom of moving around but hated the restriction of life in general. You're an inspiration because sometimes you just gotta say "What the fuck!"

Keep it up dude...and if you're in England at some point, you gotta check out the Peak and Lake District (in the middle)

Last edited by Angel Intheuk; August 4th, 2010 at 11:47 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello dean very cool thing your doing, hope you are met with great adventures. Check out these rooftop campers http://www.cartopcamper.com/ there is a buch of other brands of them as well i think. WOuld make sleeping on the road quite comfortable. Good luck!

Also you should check out Slab City in southern california http://www.slabcity.org/ .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have fun, dude. "Envy" is the word that comes to mind...!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uh Zerodean, do you have any long term plans after this or are you planning to do this indefinitely?

My Self-Portraits

"Work for your self first. You can paint best the things you like or the things you hate. You cannot paint well when indifferent.
    Express a mental opinion about something you are sensitive to in life around you. There is a profound difference between sensitivity and sentimentality."

~ John Sloan Gist of Art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe I'm just a dick but all I can think while reading this is..."So?"

Great, your having yourself a a cool adventure, thats awesome.

But...Why should I care? And, don't take that the wrong way because I'm not trying to be rude or anything but honestly why should I care at all about your trip? So you sold all of your stuff and your exploring, big deal. Hobos do that all the time(ok that one was mean).

My primary reason for posting anything at all boils down to is why you feel it necessary to tell everyone about your adventure. It's almost as if your looking for attention and fishing for compliments.

Sounds to me like someone thinks their adventure is super exciting and interesting "Some people think it's inspiring." I just can't imagine someone talking about their experience like that unless they were really self involved like seeing Kanye West sitting at home talking about how awesome his music is.

I know I'll get flamed or w/e but I know theres people thinking the same thing...

O and enjoy your trip! If you go over seas make sure to bring asketchbook!

Last edited by Stuart DeViva; August 4th, 2010 at 03:18 PM.
    The Sketchbook of Naj and Stu!:
    SKETCHBOOK

And of course go check out the SB of DefiledVisions

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart DeViva For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by UmpaArt View Post
    Maybe I'm just a dick but all I can think while reading this is..."So?"

Great, your having yourself a a cool adventure, thats awesome.

But...Why should I care? And, don't take that the wrong way because I'm not trying to be rude or anything but honestly why should I care at all about your trip? So you sold all of your stuff and your exploring, big deal. Hobos do that all the time(ok that one was mean).

My primary reason for posting anything at all boils down to is why you feel it necessary to tell everyone about your adventure. It's almost as if your looking for attention and fishing for compliments.

Sounds to me like someone thinks their adventure is super exciting and interesting "Some people think it's inspiring." I just can't imagine someone talking about their experience like that unless they were really self involved like seeing Kanye West sitting at home talking about how awesome his music is.

I know I'll get flamed or w/e but I know theres people thinking the same thing...

O and enjoy your trip! If you go over seas make sure to bring asketchbook!
    I think you're just projecting your own negativity, because I did not get that from the OP at all. And you start several sentences with a compliment or an apology and then you end it with pretty unneccesary put-downs, seems to me that that falls pretty firmly on the dick-ish side.

Last edited by MidgardSerpent; August 4th, 2010 at 03:29 PM.
    My Self-Portraits

"Work for your self first. You can paint best the things you like or the things you hate. You cannot paint well when indifferent.
    Express a mental opinion about something you are sensitive to in life around you. There is a profound difference between sensitivity and sentimentality."

~ John Sloan Gist of Art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It wasn't projecting, it was an inference. I didn't say that he was actually saying things that would make someone immediately think the way I do. I was inferring about the motivation for doing it. If it wasn't clear, my point was that the motivation to post about this was self centered in the way people twitter how they are going to the bathroom.

The Sketchbook of Naj and Stu!:
    SKETCHBOOK

And of course go check out the SB of DefiledVisions

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1