If one doesn't 'feel' like they are learning, are they learning?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

If one doesn't 'feel' like they are learning, are they learning?

It's something that has worried me since i started out.
    A lot of the time I don't 'feel' like I'm actually learning, but I must be since I'm a bit better than when I started. But maybe that's the problem.

Sometimes I might read, or see, or realise something, and it's like i just levelled up.
    But when I'm grinding for EXP I don't actually feel like i'm learning anything. I'm just doing it with the idea that I must be learning something.

I'm not going to lie and say "I've practised oh so hard and I don't see any changes," but I still wonder if I am learning when it's say, doing posemaniacs or drawing people on the bus, i don't feel like i'm realising anything while doing it.

Am I just too low level to see or something, and time will help?

Current Projects:
    3D CyberPunk Characters W.I.P

Bloghttp://z3nzy-fmp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by aesir
    I fully intend to become rich as fuck through art. How you ask? By being awesome.
    Awesome artists get rich. You guys just don't love art enough to get rich. Maybe if you cared about money more you might have more motivation to get awesome.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 277 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The thing about real life is, there's absolutely no indicator as to how much you've progressed, if at all, that and rewards aren't immediate. So, instead of worrying about whether you're actually learning at the moment, I would say just try your best to absorb stuff and measure progress on a monthly basis.

Though I'm pretty sure anyone would appreciate a handy EXP bar.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crossmirage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Give your self goals. When you reach them, through grinding, several failures, triumphs and what not, you can safely say that you have learned something.

Sketchbook
    Old Sketchbook
    Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AndreasM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have fun, if your having fun you will be urged to do it more. If your doing it more your more likely to learn more. Don't worry about learning just make sure your having fun.

My humble 2 cents which may not be worth anything.

-----------------------------------------
    My Blog!
    http://www.whirlyart.blogspot.co.uk/

My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Whirly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,582 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Your homework this week is to write a 25,000-word paper on both of the following: "How I learned to tie my shoes" and "How I stopped needing to be diapered." A million things occur in any person's life that are simply milestones that that came about only after constant and diverse forms of reinforcement, training, and self-practice/learning, most of which is happening alongside other, equally important/unimportant problem solving leading to solutions.

Goals don't have to be specific. They can simply be a vague feeling of "...if I keep trying this in different ways, someday maybe I'll figure out how to do it 'right'..." This happens with everything that makes you "more mature."

Kwitchyer wurryin'...tingz'll werk out...

Just go and do something that's a bit different from you did last time. If you fuck up, consider it one more badge of honor hangin' on the fridge...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "But when I'm grinding for EXP I don't actually feel like i'm learning anything. I'm just doing it with the idea that I must be learning something."

What is learning supposed to feel like, anyway? I don't really get this mode of thinking. I just set goals for a project and if I feel like I've reached those goals at the end of the project then all is good. Learning supports those goals. Sometimes the goals are nothing more than "kill three hours while you're forced to sit in this place" or "don't fuck the values up this time" and that's fine.

I don't see why you would want to disconnect learning from concrete things. The only reason to grind for XP is so that you can wear that hat you picked up in Mordor or not get eaten by dinosaurs. There's nothing inherently good about the XP or the grind, it's the goals that are the important bits. If your goal is to have better-looking art and your art is looking better, what's the problem?

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stop doodling and start thinking. Muscle training is good, but you have to learn something new and be conscious about it, otherwise it's time killing.

I'm up to what AndreasM said.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Does anyone ever "feel like they're learning" when they're busy learning? It's not like we have a little status bar hovering over our heads all the time...

I don't think I'm usually aware of any progress except in retrospect. After I've finished something, I might look at it and say "wow, this time it turned out better than last time!" Or (more often) I'll look at what I did a year ago and suddenly realize that I've actually improved since then. Usually I think I'm not advancing until I look back to see where I've been...

In fact I was just digging through a pile of old sketchbooks, and was surprised to notice that my progress over the years was a lot more than I'd thought. (I thought I was running in place and not getting anywhere, but I guess I was getting somewhere after all. Not sure where, but somewhere.)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    @ Ilaekae: I remember learning to tie my shoes... I was terrible at it. I put off learning until nearly 4th grade by wearing shoes with buckles instead. If people made fun of the buckle shoes I said it was "just my style".

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 682 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Um...I'm aware that I'm learning something as I'm learning it.

How does it feel? Well, like another ability was added to the learned list in my head. Sort of electric & warm. But I'm thinking about what I wish to learn and can recognize when I have when the info is applied.

But, carry on.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Thanked 5,582 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    QG, I didn't get the hang of it until I was about 8, and when I finally did it, I went "Shit!?!? That was it!?!? I must really be retarded..."

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My oldest sister taught me how to tie my shoes. I was so happy and I tied and untied them all day long.

It's too stressful and maybe even counter-productive to try and keep such close track of your improvement. For one, there are too many factors that contribute to your improvement. Two, some concepts are just harder to grasp so you may incorrectly assume that doing a particular study is not helping at all when in reality it's just taking you a bit longer to get down. Three, everyone has bad days or even bad weeks where their drawings just seem a little less cool than usual.

When people look for these "level up" moments in their progress and don't find them, that usually leads to them being discouraged and thinking their very common problems (if they can be called that) are only unique to them.

Art is not like an RPG. You don't grind for hours doing the same thing and then gain enough points to where BOOM you're now a level 14 painter and instantly have these new abilities at your disposal.

Art is gradual. That's why like the above posters said, it's important to enjoy what you are doing first and foremost. You learn best as a result of wanting to draw.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JJacks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol, my cousin taught me how to tie my laces when i was six. I haven't tied my laces in about 6 years though, i just put them into them shoe and go.

Loads of good points, pretty much the same point over again lol, but that shows how true it is i guess.

I'm just bothered that i might be wasting my time on something. I go into it thinking i'll learn how to draw hands and start drawing my hand, but it just feels like i'm drawing my hand and not learning how to draw hands.

But yeah, i can't try to see the little improvements or raise in skill. ^_^

Thanks guuuuys.

Current Projects:
    3D CyberPunk Characters W.I.P

Bloghttp://z3nzy-fmp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by aesir
    I fully intend to become rich as fuck through art. How you ask? By being awesome.
    Awesome artists get rich. You guys just don't love art enough to get rich. Maybe if you cared about money more you might have more motivation to get awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenzybaR View Post

I'm just bothered that i might be wasting my time on something. I go into it thinking i'll learn how to draw hands and start drawing my hand, but it just feels like i'm drawing my hand and not learning how to draw hands.
    Well first, if drawing is something you enjoy then you are never wasting time doing it.

You could always do the best hand studies you can do and then ask for critique on them so people can point out things to keep in mind. If you aren't getting something or you think something in particular isn't right then just ask.

It's better to ask specific questions or for a specific critique than it is to just ask something so general (like this).

22. The Following User Says Thank You to JJacks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenzybaR View Post
    I'm just bothered that i might be wasting my time on something.
    Why? What amazing thing are you missing by drawing your hand? If you knew a better technique you'd be using it (and you should be actively searching for knowledge anyway). And if you had something more important to do then you'd be doing it. In the absence of additional knowledge you might as well keep doing this because doing nothing guarantees that you aren't going to improve.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can make up knowledge pretty easily. All you need is to come across it at the right time and then you have it. You can never make up experience though. And with art, a good portion of what we need is just sheer physical experience with the medium. So I don't know if it could ever be a complete waste of time as long as the pencil is hitting the paper (or the brush on the canvas, or the stylus on the tablet or whatever)

25. The Following User Says Thank You to dose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah,you know I use to think like TC.

but then I just stopped caring or looking constantly lol,I mean I have my level up moments when I'm like "oh shit, I can do this and that without a ref and it looks like it now"
    best moments ever, but yeah I just gradually get there.

tho,I find that when I'm inspired about a particular practice(like drawing the female torso)
    and actually do it I make more process,in game terms its like it 2x exp day.
    so yeah,actually enjoying what your doing will help you to focus and get more out of it,even tho sometimes it doesn't feel like its helping like when I followed my art teacher and carried a little notebook around with me,doodled hands everywhere,in class,anytime I could for a few months and noticed huge improvements.
    (and I'm still doing them )

so Good luck with your studies.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's only when you look back that you realise that you've learned anything at all. Dear God! I absolutely hated every driving lesson I ever took,- didn't realise that anything had actually sunk in until I passed my test.

Now I jump in the car and just drive. You're learning more than you realise (and that probably includes bad habits, too)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know the feeling-you feel like you aren't soaking anything in. Man it sucks.

When all else fails, go back to basics!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Cocoa_Cool For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol
    Life is totally like RPG.
    Psychologists and philosophers took apart personality to bits. People are just bodies with processor unit as their brain, and nervous system as catalyst.
    Art like any other science, music,dance, chemistry, maths has its disciplines and parts it consists of.
    There is a EXP bar above everyones head, it's just not everyone is aware/wants to admit it.
    It mostly doesn't matter if you learn it by practice or knowledge, but guys who learned with knowledge tend to be better at passing theory to others, while practice guys tend to be more sensible and expressive with their art. Just be both of them.

Members who have read this thread: 1