Looking for advice on where to learn anatomy
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Looking for advice on where to learn anatomy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Looking for advice on where to learn anatomy

Hey guys, so ive been recently working on learning zbrush and its going alright so far, ive been thinking about starting to skulpt some figures or creatures but the problem is i dont know jack crap about anatomy, oh sure i could half ass it and it may turn out fair enough, but i would rather get it right the first time around, so my question is this is there anywhere you guys think i could go to learn anatomy, any really good books? maybe a video? maybe a class? i mean i have looked at like an anatomy class at like a community college, but they all seem like learning them more for the prepossess of like medicine, or is that what i should do? im going to be moving to seattle, WA in a few months, if you know anywhere up around there that offers classes on anatomy that would be cool also, pretty much just looking for any suggestions you guys got.
    Thanks a bunch!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Craig Johnston For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Umm...don't use posemaniacs. They are really anatomically inaccurate and do not show any bones--which are just as if not more important to know than muscles.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=152626 is a good place to look for books.

Anatomy-wise, I use Bridgman for drawing the figure as a whole and understanding masses, and Peck for more accuracy of muscles and bones and such.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I personally have a speaker rig loud enough to tear the clothes right off of people on the street so I can do anatomy sketches. Coincidentally, all of my sketches show people in pain and usually with blown eardrums...

Seriously though, take a look at anything involving the human body. I learned everything I know about anatomy from my high school biology course rather than an art class and I don't think my art's that shitty because of it.

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Falchion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've found eliot goldfinger's human anatomy book to be really awesome because it breaks down the muscles into form and gives you cross-sections so you can really understand how the muscles fit together. And if you can read german Gottfried Bammes is excellent.

As others have said, Bridgman is really good for understanding the masses of the body. Check Hogarth out too.

But the best way to learn anatomy imo is to make an ecorche You will understand a LOT in a much shorter amount of time.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,579 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Do you have a sharp knife and irritating neighbors?

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.