Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: More realisticness in my drawings?

Thanks

More realisticness in my drawings?

I recently completed a few digital painting/illustrations (view them at clarks-creations.deviantart.com) and they lack the realistic touch the most professionals get... How can I achieve this? I really need help. A lot of people I asked said I need to start sketching things I see around me which I will.. Any other advice?
    Last edited by AxFROWNYxFACE; August 20th, 2010 at 06:32 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,099 Times in 2,486 Posts
    Go back to basics and learn to render simple forms like cubes, spheres, cones use a single light source and set them up and work from life. You will never learn to render well until you understand how light falls across a form. So start simple until people say what you are doing looks real. You can use a coffee cup a bowl an egg or an apple but keep it simple and work from life.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Go back to basics and learn to render simple forms like cubes, spheres, cones use a single light source and set them up and work from life. You will never learn to render well until you understand how light falls across a form. So start simple until people say what you are doing looks real. You can use a coffee cup a bowl an egg or an apple but keep it simple and work from life.

thanks a bunch man! I have started a sketch book thread, not the best but check it out! http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=192765.

Thanks
    i agree with dpaint. While trying to achieve a more realistic approach myself, I have found that it actually has little to do with polishing and rendering extreme detail and more with understanding the basics. The solution really is to start simple.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JJacks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JJacks View Post
    i agree with dpaint. While trying to achieve a more realistic approach myself, I have found that it actually has little to do with polishing and rendering extreme detail and more with understanding the basics. The solution really is to start simple.
    I lack a good foundation the more I think about it. But understanding the basics as in what? Mind elaborating?

Thanks
    Line, shape, value and using it to create volume. Things like that. Keep it in black and white for a while. Color would probably complicate things at this point in your studies.

Thanks
    One of the most striking things about well-done realistic art is just how LITTLE detail it often contains. One of the tricks that a good artist knows is how to give the impression of a lot of detail without actually putting in all that detail.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to brianvds For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    realisticness.... "realism, more realism"

Thanks
    Looking through your sketch book, there's a few problems. First of all, if you want to draw faces and figures, get some anatomy and start learning about anatomy and the planar structure of the humany body. That won't do you TOO much good, though, until you have a better understanding of how to solve the bigger drawing "problems," namely how to render FORM, three dimensionally. It's like you're trying to pound in a nail but you don't have a hammer, and maybe you don't even know that a hammer exists, if you follow the analogy. So you carry on trying to pound in the nail with your forehead and all you get in the end is a headache.

So basically, you need some better "tools" in your drawing toolbox. And I'm talking about tools of understanding, not just new types of pencils or brushes. If I could suggest a starting point, go get "Successful Drawing" and "Creative Illustration" by Andrew Loomis. They are available free as PDFs, I believe, and shouldn't be all that hard to find with a google search or two. Sit down and READ them. Don't just look at the pictures and think you're going to get much out of it. You gotta put in the work. Read the books. I promise you won't regret it. Years back, Loomis really opened my eyes up to a lot of fundamental drawing principles that I wasn't finding anywhere else.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,200 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AxFROWNYxFACE View Post
    I lack a good foundation the more I think about it. But understanding the basics as in what? Mind elaborating?
    Among other things, the basic principles of observing and drawing what you observe... You seem to be still thinking in terms of "symbols" a lot, you might benefit from reading "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards. It's good for getting you past the stage where you're stuck on symbols and teaches you to start observing.

(Though you'll probably want to supplement this with other books, especially as you progress.)

Learning basic anatomy and basic perspective would be good, too. But for general drawing exercises, it might be easiest to start off with simple still life subjects (from life, using real objects. Simple objects to start with.)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamp View Post
    Looking through your sketch book, there's a few problems. First of all, if you want to draw faces and figures, get some anatomy and start learning about anatomy and the planar structure of the humany body. That won't do you TOO much good, though, until you have a better understanding of how to solve the bigger drawing "problems," namely how to render FORM, three dimensionally. It's like you're trying to pound in a nail but you don't have a hammer, and maybe you don't even know that a hammer exists, if you follow the analogy. So you carry on trying to pound in the nail with your forehead and all you get in the end is a headache.

So basically, you need some better "tools" in your drawing toolbox. And I'm talking about tools of understanding, not just new types of pencils or brushes. If I could suggest a starting point, go get "Successful Drawing" and "Creative Illustration" by Andrew Loomis. They are available free as PDFs, I believe, and shouldn't be all that hard to find with a google search or two. Sit down and READ them. Don't just look at the pictures and think you're going to get much out of it. You gotta put in the work. Read the books. I promise you won't regret it. Years back, Loomis really opened my eyes up to a lot of fundamental drawing principles that I wasn't finding anywhere else.
    I downloaded the two pdfs and I will read them =D say some of his work he is a real genius. I will definatly start looking at his stuff... Hopefully by the time I graduate from highschool I am the best I can be. =D.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 835 Posts
    Hopefully by the time I graduate from highschool I am the best I can be. =D.
    I'd say, hopefully you're not. You should keep improving until the end of time.
    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Line, shape, value and using it to create volume. Things like that. Keep it in black and white for a while. Color would probably complicate things at this point in your studies.
    heh... color always complicates things...

theyve said all you need to hear, but ill say it again for emphasis... go back to basics and work from life... dont work small, use big newsprint and charcoal if you can.. and dont be timid or shy... if you know someone personally who can draw well, talk to them and get their advice too and see if theyd mind spending a couple hours here and there to help you out... good luck keep the sketchbook coming

19. The Following User Says Thank You to SweetPea For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast