Paint by selection?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Paint by selection?

Hey guys! I am fairly new to painter and need some advise. I took a class on how to "digitally paint" and the way the instructer taught us to paint was to scan in some line art, make selections for everything, save them and just paint in the in the selection. This works but unless I made really nice selections, and expanded the selection I end up with crappy results. it just looks like paint by numbers. It looks like most the guys here just scan something in and paint over it. Any thoughts would be great.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, I for the most part sketch in painter, but it works the same way. Making sure my sketch is on a seperate layer I typically "glaze" shadows an highlights after putting in basic colors. If I do scan in a sketch, I tend to use photoshop to seperate the layers in grayscale mode so my sketch layer is seprated from the white. This is a typical process for comic book inkers.
    Its a bit more involved than I could possibly post here, do some searches on it, maybe someone has an easier method.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wacom Knight:
    Hey thanks, wasn't sure if I was crazy, doing all that extra work. As far as using the brushes, I was taught to use pretty much just two different brushes, a chalk, and another chalk, with the resat. dropped down to zero to act as a blender. I am pretty happy with how this looks but any advice on other brushes. Do you have any fav's, how many brushes do you typically use on one project? + what type of wacom to you have? + what type of wacom to you use?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

To separate the linework from your coloring:

You can lift the scanned linework to a Layer: Use Ctrl/Command+A, click inside the selection with the Layer Adjuster tool, then change the Layer's Composite Method to Gel to make the white background (visually) transparent...

or....

Use Select > Auto Select, Using: Image Luminance to make a selection of the black linework.

Click inside the selection using the Layer Adjuster tool to lift the contents of the selection to a Layer (or choose black as your Primary Color, create a New Layer and with the selection active on that Layer, use Effects > Fill, Using: Current Color).

or....

Do your linework on a transparent Layer in Painter.

Keep the linework Layer at the top of the Layers list and do your coloring either on the Canvas, on one or more Layers dragged down the Layers list below the linework Layer, or on both the Canvas and one or more Layers.

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.