View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

EOW 147 The Festival

EOW 147 The Festival

EOW 147 The Festival

this can be the Fair, the Faire, any time, any planet, any venue. But I want to see entertainment, merchants, booths.....

DUE August 4th 2010

Go!!

NO description required, say what you need to say visually. the words are already there.

FOLLOW THE TOPIC.

POST YOUR FINAL HERE THREAD.

SAVE YOUR FILES IN THE FOLLOWING FORMAT.
    EOW##_Nickname
    example: "EOW#100_Chaosrocks.jpg"

PLACE THE IMAGE IN A FRAME WITH YOUR NAME/TOPIC

example from CHOW

EOW 147 The Festival
    (you can add CA logo, etc).

Add an icon to you final post
    150 pixels either direction
    PLEASE OUTSIDE HOST THE ICON
    k thx
    An outside host means exactly that - an image host that's not Conceptart.org. Instead of adding the thumbnail with the attachment manager you have to host it on another site (your private domain, photobucket, (both recommended) or imageshack for instance).
    The full image gets added with the attachment manager, however.

After you uploaded the thumbnail somewhere, you simply add the [IMG] [/IMG] around it and you're done

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to chaosrocks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not a great fan of this idea, but I´m looking forward to see what´ll come out some of the creative minds around here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This topic is really wide open to anything.
    Space, medieval, any culture, any time, any place, good, evil...

But it will be a lot of work for this one ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the idea, I can brush up on some much needed perspective.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good topic to get some juice running! back to work!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 271 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's gonna be a sh*t load of work this round (crowds, merchants, booths, etc...) but i'll give it a good go Be interesting to see how everyone interprets this one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know it can be any time and place, so does that mean it can be a real festival? If so, I'd love to try and do a painting of the Edinburgh Fringe festival.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm thinking about an arctic festival.. prolly will just be a few eskimos walking around:

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love it I have to work this holiday week but I hope to have some night-time free for this one.

Thumbs asap

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought of an interior festival, though this one doesn´t make really sense imo, so I will propably rework this or do another one

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    real festival are perfectly acceptable. edinburgh fringe? tell me more? sounds fun. I posed the topic because I just spent 2 glorious weeks at a couple of pagan festivals here in the midwest. bonfires and drumming and dancing till dawn. I kinda feel like painting them.

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Liffey
    God idea with an Arctic festival perhaps have some cool ice constructions.
    android411
    I like the light on the crowd.

Trying to go for a festival on the ice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really challenging topic, I like it!

Liffey - great idea, good way to make the focus pop from the white snow.

Here's a WIP for my pic. Was originally thinking of a South-East Asian fantasy town, but we'll see where it goes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosrocks View Post
    real festival are perfectly acceptable. edinburgh fringe? tell me more? sounds fun. I posed the topic because I just spent 2 glorious weeks at a couple of pagan festivals here in the midwest. bonfires and drumming and dancing till dawn. I kinda feel like painting them.
    Cool. The Edinburgh Fringe is the biggest arts festival in the world, with thousands of shows, from lots of different countries, on through most of August. A lot of the shows are indoors, such as the theatrical or comedy ones, but there are also loads of outdoor acts and all sorts of street performers.
    So I think it should be quite fun to paint as I love all the old buildings on the royal mile (where most of the festival takes place), and there are so many different types of performers to choose from.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a challenging topic, here is where I'm at. I thinking of a European solstice kind of festival. struggling to keep the perspective neat during the painting process so I got some work to do still.

edit: having issues with the attachments don't know why I'll try posting another time

"the Hispanic mechanic?"

19. The Following User Says Thank You to no_name_brand For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ahoy

Wooo easy on No Name Brand.... Jeeez hard act to follow.
    So I'm thinking a south east asian type city square... with mobile dance party making its way down the street with giant speaker balls floating above... For ref I'll be looking at Techno Viking.. if you haven't seen techno viking tube it now.

Ramza - I'm lovin it, it reminds me of ashley woods meets brett whitley

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no_name_brand: Excellent! Disney style background painting, Hunchback of Notre Dame-style! Quality stuff!
    Riddle me this: What is with the huge amount of color patches at the top? Do you keep color picking from them during the painting process or do you you color pick from within the scene while painting? Isn't the amount of swatches you have there confusing?

RichLyons: Solid stuff, just like your current CHAR sketches! I can see you've been using some Polyonal Lasso Tool-action?! Great mock-up. Good start!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi im new arround here so this is my first post on this forum, trying to make an Egyptian Festival arround 2 statues, like an entrance to the fest. Not so sure how to continue please! help

http://img96.imageshack.us/f/festivalx.jpg/

how can I resize the image to see it smaller?
    EOW 147 The Festival

Thanks!

Last edited by chaosrocks; July 27th, 2010 at 10:37 PM. Reason: attaching image

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool The 'not-so-fun-fair'

Finally I have some spare time to write comments. Sorry about the previous eow.

@ Oceanic6: You must resize the image in Photoshop. Then you can attach the image in your 'advanced message' or upload it elsewhere like you did but use the [img]-scripts to make it visible. not much people will press url's

About your work: Your setting could become a great picture. I should give those banners less movement and mirror them so the left one waves a bit to the left. Good luck with it

@ RichLyons: Great to see your steps. Working with solid shapes will give you a great control to create depth simple by brightness. Good luck with the rest and all the humans

@ No name brand: Great steps! A good color palette although it feels more frightening than warm. The architecture is very well done, feels a bit dutch combined with german am I right? I can't wait to see all the people and lightning coming along, good luck!

@ Ramza: Cool composition and perspective, I like the mood and the neutral colors.

@ JanJager: Good to have you back on this eow Your mood feels ok but I think the foreground is a bit to empty or dull. But that could come due the fuzzy shapes so I can't really tell what everything is yet. Good luck with the ice

@ Android: Lightning feels good indeed. As you said, it's more a good looking picture than a picture with a meaning of a concept in it. Try to work on that

@ Liffey: I can't really tell what everything is yet but the setting could become awesome But you should think about the mechanics of all the machines, what if they froze at night?!

>

Here are my thumbs; 1,2 and 3 are based on the concept 'the not-so-fun-fair' and number 4 is just crap. 'Not-so-fun' because of the ghetto all the people living in. I prefer #1

Cheers!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Absorber For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

After all.

Seeing all these ideas and works (especialy Ramza's image), I finally got the beginning of an idea.

I could be some kind of carnival in a very dense and dark city.
    I like the idea of a society that faces huge problems and uses a gigantic party to burn every tiny bit of it. No wonder that the last day of a carnival is called the ashes of the carnaval.

Oh, and by the way, this would only be my second illustration, and my first one with a kind of a command and a deadline, so be patient but feel free to give me your feedback.

EOW 147 The Festival

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great stuff everyone

here is a new one from me as I was not happy with the first one, in this one I´m trying to make a fantasy/medieval festival with a dragon flying show and so on, not sure if this is working though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    android411
    Can bee cool with a lot of fantasy an medial stuff.
    Absorber
    Thanks. Nice thumbnails. I like 1 but 2 is also a favourite.
    Oceanic6
    Cool picture. To resize it I think you had to find resize or image size in your software.
    RichLyons
    Great.Looking forward to see the progress
    no_name_brand
    Nice. Very much festival. Only crits I can come up with i perhaps dampen the big buildings in the far background.
    Ramza
    Cool idea with an Asian fantasy town

28. The Following User Says Thank You to JanJager For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JanJager - looks really great. I like the colors and atmosphere most, maybe your focal point is a tad centered other than that it´s really cool

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's what I'm working on, going for a Halloween type theme.

EOW 147 The Festival

Jan Jager- Nice atmosphere created, I'm really diggin the bottom left hand corner, how its sorta blurry, but looks like it could work from the light/ mist in the air.

RichLyons- I like the way you started with the silhouettes, and the cartoonish art style.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The beginnings of an idea kind of inspired by the COW, the spreading of a new year of flying crops. Of course, they need to be released on the downwind side of the city where they won't end up in anyone's house, or drop their heavy, pointed seeds onto anyone, so the farmers released them on the eastern side of the city. Later, as airship traffic picked up, lights were added to the plants so the ships could avoid the largest clusters as they left the city. Thus the start of the spring air planting festival began.

Today, lights are attached as decoration, since no ships are permitted to dock the night of the festival, and even children take part in the long parade that culminates at the eastern air docks.

EOW 147 The Festival

Jan Jager - Really digging the color palette here and the sense of depth you've created with it. Definitely feels very centered, and like it could use something to unbalance it a bit, perhaps building up the landscape on the left some?

TheScala- Looking like a solid start. I like the saggy medieval feeling houses.

Android411- The architecture is looking great, and the dragon is turning into a good focal point. It really feels like it needs more people and chaos in it. Little silhouettes and lights along the ramparts, rooftops, crowding the street. Maybe some sort of dragon-parade? As is it looks almost more like a dragon attack on those unsuspecting townsfolk!

Pipobimbo- Great concept and good start. With the sparks/debris flying upwards, try and make it a less even distribution, and give a sense of directional motion to them. When things go up from a fire they tend to move with the swirls and twists of the rising thermals. Like This

Absorber- #1 certainly does give a sense of scale and space that's impressive, but I like the crazy perspective and composition of #3. If you brought in a few more rickety towers in the background, made them feel jammed in, you could get a great claustrophobic ghetto feel going.

Richlyons- Cool compositions, I love the scale of the buildings in the background. You should try and find a way to bring them into the concept somehow, with something crazy happening on top of the buildings. (spotlights?)

No Name Brand- Wow... Very nice. Do you have some sort of cool building construction trick, or did you just paint those all in by hand? Super cool. Only suggestion I can make is to put some atmosphere in front of those buildings at the back of the square. Value wise they don't recede nearly as much as they do perspective-wise.

Ramza- Love the atmosphere and soft light everywhere. Can't wait to see where it goes once the party starts.

Liffey- Nice color palette and concept. Looking forward to seeing the more finished version.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to artfulshrapnel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

So far... not so good.

artfulshrapnel
    Thanks for the comment.
    Really nice idea. I would try to change the format though. Make it more 16/9 (opening on the right) could make more emphasis on the flying light. It seems to me the position of the city might be too central.

thescala
    Same thing. I would do an horizontal mirror to let the house on the left "closing" the image, giving more strenght to the moon and the elements on the right side.
    Nice architecture.

JanJager
    Impresssive job.
    As it´s been said, the composition may be a bit neutral. But it depends on what you´ll bring next in the frame, and how you bring it.
    The colour are just great.

android411
    Nice idea, with a lot of work to do about the light. But I think the difficulty will be to make it look crowdy.

Absorber
    Second one looks more classical to me, but still, could be interesting.
    Number one seems more original in the concept.

This is what I came up with, so far.

EOW 147 The Festival
    I have to bring more light, more crazyness, more life. But I think it´s pretty much what I had in mind originaly. I just have to fill the towers (yes, these are towers...) with people and lights. Maybe put some more gigantic animals.
    And find a way to draw these m*$#"r f#&*-»g flags.

Oh, and yeah, integrate your idea, artfulshrapnel.

Last edited by pipobimbo; July 30th, 2010 at 02:24 PM.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pipobimbo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Abandoned my plan to do the Edinburgh Fringe. So now I'm doing a big music festival which will have a big main stage in the background and maybe some other smaller stages or tents elsewhere(if I don't run out of time).

Will try and give out some crits tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Updated:

EOW 147 The Festival

Artful Shrapnel: Interesting composition, I like the floating bubble things, however, I do find the perspective of the BRIDGE to be a little off. It doesn't really reseed anywhere.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thescala
    Good I like the forms. Looking forward to see how will do the ground and if you going to put some people in there.
    Zapp!
    Good start.
    pipobimbo
    Very nice. Perhaps the crowd look a bit homogeneous. Maybe you can highlight some individuals or let some persons further away fade in the soft light.
    artfulshrapnel
    Very cool. Wonderful dreamlike/si fi mod.Are you going to have some more colours. Perhaps some small discreet spots. The only thing that annoys me a bit
    is the angle of the left bridge construction. The horizontal constructions on the right are almost parallel to the horizon.

Thanks for the crit. Trying to get away from the centred composition

38. The Following User Says Thank You to JanJager For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.