star wars
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: star wars

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

star wars

Last edited by eptigo; November 26th, 2011 at 06:11 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

oh wow, no comments eh
    that can either be a good thing or a bad thing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try to devise you image in planes. What you have here is an illustration with the good old tried and true planes- middleground, background, and foreground. This is a good thing!

BUT- you're not separating your planes in value enough. Use some atmospheric perspective- allow the foreground characters to occupy a lower value range than your middleground character, and then do the same with the middleground character and the background character. As things get farther away from the viewer there is more "stuff" in the atmosphere between the viewer and these things, sucking some of the lower values out along the way. Thus things are said to get "lighter" as they recede back in space.

This will hopefully allow your painting to read more clearly.

There are several anatomy issues in this image and I think you should reference as much as you can. I'm not going to say "don't paint the scene and immediately go do studies before you try again" I'm saying use the painting as a sort of study by referencing. You'll be learning and improving the quality of your work.

"She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

having trouble with my forground middleground and background stuff

the composition calls for the jedi to be the focal point of the composition

so their color values need to be different from everyone elses

im not sure how to do something liek that and receed the color values as elements are further back ... seems like a bit of a contradiction

like what im trying to get the composition to do kinda contradicts what the color values need to do, so now im not sure what to do

---

maybe im just exhaused and cant see the answers staring at me in the face
    (and yes i know anatomy)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i seem to be having trouble comprehending things like color theory, much of my work seems to take on a very monocromatic color scheme

like if the composition has a blue ball, then the ball highlights and shadows are just lighter and darker variations of that blue ball

many professors and my peers have attempted to explain color theory to me but i have to admit i had much trouble comprehending it

you seem to be able to add in colors that arent the same as any of the objects in the scene, and cant be generated by mixing any of the colors of the objects in the scene, but i cant figure out where you would put those colors, why, and how much of it you would put.

right now ive gotten to the point of which im trying to think about the color of the primary lightsource, and the colors of reflected lights off of nearby objects. im so sorry for all those that attempted to explain it to me, and i just can't seem to pick it up T_T

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmm ... my jedi is a little saturated, perhaps i should try toning it down a little

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The anatomy thing that bugs me is the varying sizes of the arms. The planted arm looks much larger than the other arm. You can clearly see the elbow on the raised arm, as well as just glimpse what connects it- it looks around 1/2 the width from that point on the other arm (on Twi'lek).

Why I said "several" I don't know. I don't remember writing that and haven't participated in any drinking for a while, so I'm unsure as to my intentions at the time. This kinda worries me, and I apologize

The light sabers really aren't working. At least not with those silhouettes. The silhouettes are reminiscent of some kind of smoke or something. The sabers are also positioned in such a way that only twice do any of them get overlapped by something in a plane closer, and it just comes off as a confusing series of red lights.

Value structure- I think, barring the silhouettes, that you've got the right idea now. Technically I suppose they should be lighter, but they REALLY help to frame the character(the Twi'lek again).

Actually, as I was looking at it I marveled at the way you designed this composition. The lightsabers of the two foreground figures act as pointers that then pick each other up and carry you to her, then her saber brings you back down. If not for the confusing ones in the back you'd have yourself one hell of a positive eye trap. Sweet spiral eye movement.

keep going. I like where this is heading.

EDIT: And I don't think she could be bleeding from light saber wounds. They would cauterize the wounds, wouldn't they? Really a question, not as much a statement.

Last edited by Quigleyer; August 5th, 2010 at 05:59 PM.
    "She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Quigleyer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    omg

your so right on everything

i didnt even see the massive variation on the arm sizes for some odd reason, like it was in my blind spot or something. they say if you get too close to your artwork, you tend to miss things that should be obvious

but that comment on the anatomy forced me to take a closer look at the image, and its not really far off now that i think about it. besides the two different sized arms, some of the joints arent quite right like things arent connecting properly (sith leg on left, sith wrist on right) the jedi's wrist (holding lightsaber) is a bit odd too.

how do you not make a bad drawing? its odd cause its not like you can't tell what would look good and what doesnt, but i cant seem to not make something that ... well ... not good so what the heck, its frustrating

thanks on the comments about the composition, that was exactly what i was aiming for with the eye direction and the focal point. i was studying a book on making decent compositions lately over the summer (Drawing Scenery: landscapes and seascapes by Jack Hamm) and ... well ... guess this is kind of like the fruit of my studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol, yeah i suppose those wounds would cauterize
    i thought giving the character wounds would add more to the story of the image, support the story of the image more. but i didnt really give much though as to how i was going to make those wounds. its obvious i didnt really know what i was doing there

im kind of sad because the image isnt really turning out the way i wanted it to, their are so many ... deviations. anatomy, colors in terms of lights and shadows, variation of color values, etc

feels like i spent so much time on this and ... its just ... im getting fedup, i just want it to be done already. at any rate i gotta admit doing this was definitly a learning experience. but its still not good enough, what i learned from this. sure it would help me do better work in the future, but i dont want to just do "better",

i dont want my work to just be "better"
    I WANT IT TO BE GOOOD!!!
    its so frustrating

Members who have read this thread: 1