Sketchbook: Your crit is needed now!! Check latest work please and crit! Thank u ;p
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Your crit is needed now!! Check latest work please and crit! Thank u ;p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Your crit is needed now!! Check latest work please and crit! Thank u ;p

I'm very interested in enviromental paintings and wish to create my own, using fantasy elements and thats where i struggle, as I find it difficult drawing from my mind.

All comments and crits are more than welcome, as your input will help me improve thanks guys!

(As usual, further down = newer stuff)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mussy; December 4th, 2012 at 07:57 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i drew a banana:

I think it went okay but i could have improved the detail on this banana, guess i got kinda fed up towards the end , but it went well for my 2nd attempt at painting digitally, comments and crits welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

Funny thing happened last night i had a dream my wacom bamboo got f****ed up, lol woke up to realise i was just dreaming.

Anyways painted my little agfa camera, took me 3 hrs lol! think it went ok but i definately misplaced the focus lens, till i realised it was too late for me to start again :s. Painting it went well as it had simple colours and shapes, but yea a good start i guess.

C+C ty!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some of my traditional media:
    < inks

woodcut of the one on top^

< fineliner drawing.

^ my final project based on water, my two paintings were hung up for the final exhibition at college, left one is acrylic paints and the one on right is inks.

apologise about the quality, took the photographs from my phone aswell as them being inside a portfolio, and as they were all a3+ i really didnt wanna get em out. Feel free to comment and crit

Last edited by Mussy; July 24th, 2010 at 06:34 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did a closeup study of my blanket, looking at shape and shadows, i have a BIG problem getting things right in terms of mapping and composition of the various different elements of an image, anyone have any idea how to improve this?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    following idiot apathys thread i made the spheres of the first project, lol i failed, the colour of the blue was off around the midtones and i didnt get similair tones to the black and white version

...but hey practice makes perfect!.. comments and crit would be good about now, starting to get lonely here lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, i'm also 19, and i haven't been in college nearly as long as, you have, but i'm trying to get there.
    i was looking through the sketchbooks,(i'm about to make my own yay) and i stumbled upon yours. your book seemed kinda lonely, so i figure i'd give you a bit of company, with some criticisms, to the best of my knowledge.
    first, just allow me to say i love, your water studies. both of them kinda, blow my mind. i can't wrap my mind around how you did them, (only thing i can figure is you let water run down the ink one), but i really like them.
    your balls (sorry that that sounds wrong) are nice as well. i do notice though that your first b & w ball has a very striking highlight, due to a more dramatic and rapid change from dark to light, than you second b & w ball witch does the change more gradually. was that the intent? they look like balls either way, i was just wondering.
    your blanket, seems to fall victim to not enough grey tones to blend the shadows in. you blanket looks like material, but it seems to almost be a line drawing.
    i also really am fond of your apple. a real apple yes is much smoother, but i kinda like the iconic coloring of your apple. your banana, i think would be much better simply without the black outlines you can see sprouting out right below it.

i'm trying to be helpful, and i haven't any real experience, so you know, take my word for what is worth. if i helped at all, i was happy to do so.

when i get my sketch book up here, i hope you rattle me with critiques as well.

thank you for sharing your art

8. The Following User Says Thank You to themegagod For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    themega: thanks for ur input!

finally someone hehe, im glad u like the water pieces took me ages to do, but ye the inks one i just kept layering different colours of inks upon layers, worked well with the dripping effect too. As for the 'balls' lol, the point of the excercise was to make a similair saturated ball, in order to be more precise with colour and understand the different contrasts which colour provides, lol i failed at it, but hey thers always a next time.
    Ill defo be on ur sketchbook when u put it up, cant wait mate thanks again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for your comment Mussy! Really like what you've got going on here.

Nice to see some of your traditional stuff! If you're interested in environments you might want to check out 'Drawing and Painting Landscapes - Problems and Solutions' by Trudy Friend; I picked it up in a closing down sale at a stationary shop, it's a really good read.

I think the problem you have with your balls (hehe) is that the blue is quite monochromatic. I was reading a big comprehensive on values (don't have the link right now, it was posted on here somewhere) but basically it explained that as a colour gets darker it doesn't just become darker, it saturates in the middle.. kindof hard for me to explain, I'll try and find the link.

For your banana and apple, I think you might be trying to jump the gun and put alot of detail in before blocking in your main colours, so it comes off a little flat. I'm actually finding that the less you blend pictures the better in some cases - I've seen alot of peoples' works being described as "muddy", where they've blended too much.

Great work though, keep it coming!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvia H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello! I'm kind of a new collage student. I do a little bit of painting in photoshop, but I have not taken any digital classes yet so there is still things I don't know about. Do you use a tablet? I've seen a lot of digital artists use tablets and i am wondering what it is like to use them and if there is a curtain type of tablet that artist prefer? I want to use something else besides a mouse. Have any recommendations?

Your blanket sketch was a good shot. I find fabrics hard to do too and what helps me is drawing all the folds of the fabric in one line without looking at my paper. For me, it look like it flows better rather than forced and it provides a good start.

Here is a link to some digital paintings I have done if you care to check them out.
    http://www.conceptart.org/?artist=Jennelle

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I been kinda inactive and havent had the chance to post anything new sorry guys .. RL keeping me occupied.

Hey Jenelle welcome to CA.

I myself am a beginner at painting digitally. I use a tablet yes, as im still new to this i started off with a basic tablet, im using wacom bamboo, there are more advanced ones such as intuos etc.. but not for me yet, i definately recommend u use a tablet and not a mouse. Wacom bamboo is also cheap compared to the advanced ones, so go check it out

ur digital paintings are wow, especially if u say ur a beginner. Are u sure ur a beginner or have u done this before?.. and if u done that with a mouse ill add an extra wow lol. Brilliant start mate keep it up and stick to learning

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! I agree with what was said about going into details too fast. i think you should use a bigger brush and rough everything out, then you can go smaller and work on blending and polishing it up.

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey ho

welcome, nice to see you using traditional tech

is there anything in particular you wanna draw or aim for? like you wanna get better at landscapes, faces ? etc etc, try and do lots and lots of studies of (really fast ones) where you look at the simple shapes that make up the object, then as you start to relax and get comfy making those maybe dedicate a few hours to one drawing

also the banana, looks great, maybe you could add ashadow to show it's on a surface making it look like it's in a enviroment?

anyway i love the water ones and good luck! keep it up

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PoO-kiE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mussy View Post
    I been kinda inactive and havent had the chance to post anything new sorry guys .. RL keeping me occupied.

Hey Jenelle welcome to CA.

I myself am a beginner at painting digitally. I use a tablet yes, as im still new to this i started off with a basic tablet, im using wacom bamboo, there are more advanced ones such as intuos etc.. but not for me yet, i definately recommend u use a tablet and not a mouse. Wacom bamboo is also cheap compared to the advanced ones, so go check it out

ur digital paintings are wow, especially if u say ur a beginner. Are u sure ur a beginner or have u done this before?.. and if u done that with a mouse ill add an extra wow lol. Brilliant start mate keep it up and stick to learning
    Thank you! I'll have to try that out.

I guess I can't really say I'm a true beginner. I have been fiddling around a little bit with digital stuff for a while. I think I got Photoshop about three or four years ago, but it wasn't till recently that I decided to crack down to do some serious work and less of pasting myself riding unicorns.

Again, thanks and I hope you keep it up and stick to learning too! I t6hink you did an awesome job with the spheres.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start! About the fruit and camera studies, try using a much bigger brush. One advice I've bumped into more than once is to think about what's the biggest brush you can paint the area with and then pick a one size larger one. Big brush gives more of a smooth, effortless look. I often even make a new layer, paint a huge brush stroke and erase what I don't need of it. I think the sphere exercise turned out pretty good, it's surprisingly hard to nail the values 100%. Keep them coming!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to smuli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been busy but with ramadan here had some time so got back into painting/drawing also got a mentor nw weee anyways painted this eggholder or if thats wat u wanna call it .

The arrow is the lighting directional, and the dot u see was the start of a lost palette

oh n the colors seem a little off dunno y , the one saved on my computer looks different and more full of colour.

Last edited by Mussy; August 15th, 2010 at 10:03 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great to see some of your works! Thnx for an inspiration to study more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks cukier

a little update, mentor set me a task to imitate van goghs painting:

and heres my result lol:

found the colours to be fine but the detail totally fails, especially the clouds!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some recent drawings been learning form shadow:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ah you remind me of my first sb keep going

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the inspiration krato

heres a quick update, i was assigned to draw a crumpled paper but found it difficult, with a little help from my tutor () i actually got it done so here it is and im quite happy about the result:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stop'n by my sb
    Nice work here, My favs are the trees, and the ink painting of water. Is it that the light from the well... the light looks like a reflection of the sun on the water or is that actually in the painting.
    Either way, awesome: On purpose = skills
    coincidence = happy accident

Bring out your crits, asspats, and assorted comments
    I got me a sketchbook...
    Slow, yet hopefully steady, improvement. This way

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, very nice work on your digital stuff, I specially like the last one (the cup)... you did a very nice job blending the light and dark areas of the upper part of the cup, although you seem to have forgotten to lighten it's base, since it's all on shadows...

Anyways, keep at it, you're getting the hang of it!

My sketchbook - help me get better!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks saint + fernando.

Some of my latest stuff been getting assignments off my tutor, been mainly shadows and cast shadows:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great workz buddy!!!!! good luck on your future workz !!!!

the future is mine

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    been quite some time since i posted, been really busy with uni, but hey heres a drawing i done (sorry about the quality):

c+c welcome

Last edited by Mussy; July 4th, 2011 at 06:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys! been a while, lol well let me just catch u all up (if interested) lol.

Well the whole year i went to university and started my animation & games design course :p.. loving it so far! So now its holidays so i can learn more painting :p. oh btw heres what i made for a university project:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmpAA7mfxa4

feel free to check it out .

Now im back onto painting (digitally and traditionally) and im hooked!

^^Were made from looking at a reference.

Drawn from imagination... really didnt know where i was going with this one lol.

As you can see still pretty noobish, need ur help with crit etc..! so please post some to help motivate me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys painted some apples using this image as ref:
    http://www.showwallpaper.com/wallpap...ct_1400010.jpg

tell me what u think!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Mussy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,425 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    that last study of yours is gorgeous ! I see an artist in the making !

so long
    Seb

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Partisan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some WIP. I got a bad habit of leaving drawings/paintings unfinished.

Ref used: http://www.naturescapes.net/072006/HDR/Step0001.jpg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2