Need a PC/Laptop - any tips?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Need a PC/Laptop - any tips?

As I'm moving out, it's about time I'm getting my own PC, but as it happens... I know squad about hardware.

So... I tought you guys could give me some hints/tips on what to loop for.
    (If I misplaced this topic, or you guys think I should not place a not-directly-art-related-topic at all on this site, please gimme a shout)

So, I understand this is quite a broad topic. I tried to narrow it down in 2 questions.

First, i'd love to have a laptop (I travel a lot), but i'm not sure if intensive Photoshopping and a very thin pc combine nicely(Is it going to be très expensive? Will there be room for all the much loved hardware? Is the lcd screen annoying to work with?)

Second, i'm not sure what requirements I should go for. I proudly know what a byte is, but that's about it. Do I need a good video card, or "work memory"(as we call it in the Netherlands) or is there something else?

As for the things I plan to do w/ the thing:
    Main uses for my PC wil be: Internet, Photoshopping, Word/Excell/ect. (for school) and a game now and then. (low req. games would be fine tough)

Anyway, that's the gist of my problem. I'd be glad if anyone cared to help me out.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All laptops apart from a couple of very expensive Tablet PC's like the Lenovo ThinkPad X201t have TN panels in them so forget about accurate color work if you plan on editing photos in Photoshop. Your best choice would be something like an Alienware laptop m11x with a proper IPS/PVA desktop monitor at home, best of both worlds.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Portus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the ideas Portus.

So if I understand you correct, appart from some über expensive laptops, most of the portables have unrealistic colours on screen... that could be a real pain.

Maby I should just buy a decent PC, and a notebook w/ some sketching program... that should at least save me 4-500 euro's... (for the record, i'm a student and have a likewise budget)

What I also was wondering; how many of you work w/ 2 connected monitors? Is that a hard thing to work with/install?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've just bought a Lenovo X61T, I can say this machine is very very good for me.
    It has nice hardware for Photoshop for sure, I use it for flash too and it's a tablet! so you can draw on the screen.
    The screen has a huge resolution but I can say that the colors aren't as accurate as better screens out there with better panels (maybe I didn't calibrate, I'll try it later and report).
    I can say this Laptop is awesome. Great keyboard and surfing abilities. I just love it.
    It is very good for sketching and inking (if you are good so coloring too).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dinamo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a G73JH-A2.

I think its screen is even better than a MacBook Pro's, personally.

That's what I'd go with, if you're looking for a portable solution, decently priced.

Elsewise, as far as actual desktop monitors go... the $$$ky's the limit.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pieces_of_eight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the advice guys, as soon as i've got some more money, i'll let you know what i bought.

(sry for long abscence, i've been away for a while)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Go with a refurbished laptop. They act just as good as a new laptop, and it is coming straight from the manufacturer. If there is any issues with it in the given warranty the manufacturer gives you, they take it back and either fix it up or give you a replacement.

I have a Toshiba 2ghz single core AMD with 2gig ram and it runs very smooth for all of my applications. Something like a 15" screen. $300 refurbished, wouldve been a couple hundred more if it wasn't. I also like toshiba, their line of stuff is good for my work. Just make sure to uninstall any prepackage installed crap they include on there cause it can really slow down your processes later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For several months before its release, the Asus Eee PC was one of a handful of small, low-cost types of technology was buzzing with anticipation. While other systems, the Intel Classmate and the XO from One Laptop Per Child, are directed to the educational needs of children around the world and are generally not available to consumers, the Eee does not have such an intellectual pedigree - that is for sale directly from Asus to the public in the purchase of a laptop.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.