Capt. WIP (updated 08/09/10)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Capt. WIP (updated 08/09/10)

I decided to actually do a final version of the char I created for CHOW 204, despite not being anywhere near finished when the burning thread was closed.

Here is the char so far. The boots and white arm w/ the bird are placeholders. Once I have her done to a descent point I'll work on the enviro.

Comments welcome. I'm particularly interested in how the colors/contrast look, as I recently de-calibrated my monitor due to an unfortunate accident. Let me know if she looks too dark, light, washed out or over saturated...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Truepinkas; August 9th, 2010 at 10:59 PM.
    "...To spend my life relentlessly producing instead of sedately consuming..." -xkcd

My site: www.truepinkas.com

Slowly populating my It's Finally Finished thread!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think your color choices are good and your pose is good. We can clearly see that she's a steampunk pirate queen. I think at this point it's just a matter of putting the hours into finishing her. I would put in few more high key areas to keep it from just being dark.

View Count Jackula's website: www.jackshen.com
    Follow Count Jackula on Twitter

4. The Following User Says Thank You to countjackula For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    She is very masculine, which is fine if that's what you want but her neck seems to be the same width of her head as well as i would work on the shaping and expression in her eye. As it is she just seems to be staring off somewhere with a rather dead look. The Fist resting on her hip also seem to be floating rather than actually touching her hip.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to badkittyamy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I've put a bit more time into her. I fixed the issues that were previously mentioned. The 'masculine' look is intentional, she is a pirate capt after all.

So at this point I need to render the cockatoo, and the background (both are just kind of place holders for now). After that's done I'll go back in over the whole thing and play with the lighting and shadows to try and make it more dynamic (I'll be replacing all the black with very deep purple more than likely for starters). It'll be a bit though, as I'm rather short on free time as of late.

C&C appreciated as always.

"...To spend my life relentlessly producing instead of sedately consuming..." -xkcd

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is the bird too big?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nah, I don't think the bird is too big, here's a picture of one next to a woman's head if you wanna get specific - http://s3.images.com/huge.41.208443.JPG

I really think her boobs should be a bit fuller since right now they're quite flat and are sort of drooping over her corset. They'll look alot more proportional if they're quite big since she's a bulky woman.

Also, there's something wrong with the arms. I'm definetly no expert, but I'm thinking they're either too short or not bulky enough, especially in comparison to her thick legs. The arm holding the cockatoo looks like it starts below the shoulder, but that should be easy to fix.

Oh, and maybe add some makeup to her eye?

But yeah, awesome concept so far. Would like to see this when its all finished

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sulphur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm, I think the issue with her arms is actually an issue with her legs. They literally take up more than half of her height (including hat), which makes the arms look short. Originally this was done on purpose to help aide in the look of perspective, but perhaps it wasn't as well executed as I'd imagined. The horizon line (viewer's eye level, not literal horizon) of the image is rather low and crosses just below her mid shin, my thought was that if I slowly shrunk the scale as I went up her body it would add a slight perspective, but I think where I messed up is that the ellipses don't get steeper at the same rate.

Not exactly sure what to do about the leg issue now though. I suppose I could re-work the boots to have big heals on the back which would allow me to keep the leg length and char placement in the scene while shortening her legs to a more appropriate scale... I'll mull it over before I start work in this again...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,526 Times in 3,720 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You might want to look at the creases on her trousers, especially her right leg as i can't see what would make it hang like that. I like her left arm, sort of reptilian, but her face pales into insignificance against it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More work on her. I think she's headed in the right direction. Although it's starting to flatten out and look more cartoony than I would like...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, it was flattened a bit with the last post only because you've more clearly defined light and dark, then done nothing yet with the newly found light. I think you did a bunch for contrast and made things more interesting with the new color choice, but your light areas now need more passes, in my opinion. More very subtle- higher valued shapes of areas that are more turned towards light. See where it goes.

Her left breast feels mishapen in comparison to her right breast. The "highlight light" seems to be hitting it like a muscular male pectoral and has no 'roundness" to it. I hope that made sense.

Her armored hand feels wonky and I think both hands seem a little too small, but this might just be my eyeballing. I'm also not sure about the size of her head, but it looks quite large, or maybe she just has a facial plain that is slightly too big. Check the size of proportions keeping in mind what's under the hat.

I'd reference the feet as closely as you can. They are important here for grounding your figure and I feel that the left one is off especially.

You got this.

"She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Quigleyer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd been away on holiday for about a week, but am back home now. I was spending some time playing with this (there are parts that are more or less sloppy self-paintover presently), and I felt like I was getting lost in my direction for this.

I feel like I'm struggling, and could use some feedback.

FYI the bird will likely be coming back, just not until the capt and the enviro are finished.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more messing around, trying to better understand the mood/lighting/colors I'm going for...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The colors have come a good way and are looking nice; it looks like you've made good use of reflected light to give more sense of form to it; I wonder what it would look like if it had some more darks in there though; right now to me it seems to be that everything is mostly in the middle value range; I think if you push some values to be darker and make a few higher value spots it will really help, though if done wrong it could hurt it. Just give it a go if you like and see how it works out I'd say.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd probably do some cropping here. There really doesn't seem to be much of a need for the steps at the bottom and much of the area to the right. You spent a lot of time working on the figure, the showcase of the image. Then you shoved her into the upper left hand corner (1/4) of the composition and the rest feels really empty.

While I understand you might be planning to fill this up I think you can fill it up and NOT have it look like filler. If anything you can overlap controls and such in front of her a bit or to the right a smidge. I vote crop.

Just me though. I know you'll figure it out .

"She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.