Thread: how do i art?

Thanks

how do i art?

Hi! I love drawing, wanna be a concept artist, just graduated from college, blah blah. I started trying to do studies to get better in January 2010. I have a crapload to learn. Let's go!

Photo studies:

Attachment 1022472

Attachment 1022473

Attachment 1022475

Character attempt without ref:

Attachment 1022476

Rough monster sketch:

Attachment 1022477

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Your pictures with references look excellent! You have the uncanny gift of being able to draw what you see very easily. Keep working on perfecting your trade!

Thanks
    Like your stuff man, especially those grayscale figure drawings. Your attempt at making a character without ref is an awesome attempt but there are some problems with it. I don't really have so much of a problem with the costume design, even though it is generic looking (which isn't necessarily a bad thing); it's the proportions of your figure that has the most problems. Her arms are too short and so are the legs, and the head is just a tad bit too big. You might also want to work on the values for her right arm. Right now, because the values are darker on that arm, it looks like its being pushed back which makes the overall pose seem less natural and more on the wonky side. Hope these points help!

I'm also a fan of the bug dragon you have there. Neat design. Keep em coming man!
    Blog
    Sketchbook

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Peetaer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Whoa, did not intend to wait so long before posting again. After this weekend I will be able to post more regularly.

Aburnier - Thanks!

Peetaer - Thanks for the crit, it really helped. I hope to get a better grasp on values in the next few weeks.

Photos:

Edit - shit, these are small. Seems the default resolution got changed, and the resampling when enlarging them was pooptastic. Sorry!

Attachment 1029445

Attachment 1029447

Attachment 1029448

Here's a thing from a little while ago that I updated a bit in an attempt to improve the lighting. My stuff from imagination really suffers from my lack of knowledge about lighting and color. And I really gotta get going on environments. Crits are welcome.

Attachment 1029461

Thanks
    i'm impressed so far, your value range is really nice, lots of contrast. your proportions do need some work, it would serve you well to do a crazy amount of 5-10 minute studies of each individual parts of the human body, this helps your brain remember the proportions better. then you can put them all together. you're really close though, your paintings from reference are really nice. keep it up!

Thanks
    Wow, some cool lightening studies! Would like to see more of them!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.