Maya, 3d Max, Zbrush

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Maya, 3d Max, Zbrush

Ok i basically have 0 knowledge of 3d software and what categories there are, so this question might seem a bit stupid to some people.

Basically these 3 programs have caught my eye and i would just like to know what they are used for and why they are so popular?

As far as i understood Zbrush is used for character/creature/monster creating,
    3d max is used for pretty much everything from character to environment, to shadows
    And Maya is used for 3d animation

Did i at least understand this correctly?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Maya, Max, XSI, Lightwave, Cinema4D, Houdini.

These are the big applications, they have modelling, animation, rigging, texturing, rendering etc etc.
    Throw in a video editing app and a silly amount of computing power and you could make a cg film with all of these.
    Hard to learn, big, complicated but the skillsets are basically transferable so time spent in one will carry over to another once you learn the basics.
    These days, they can all do pretty much everything.

ZBrush- more of an "icing on the cake" deal, typically used to sculpt detail onto a poly model made in something else.
    Think of it as a really complicated plugin for your main app..

If 3D is your main area of interest you might find cgtalk a better fit for your needs.
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What are you wanting to do?

Still images, video games or animation? -- Vehicles, Weapons, Environments, Characters?

Be precise as it matters a great deal -- also what render engine do you have in mind?

ZBrush is really at its best as a modifier for other products instead of a complete package on it's own.

Also, have you looked at Modo? Modo has a great all-around toolset... as close as I've seen to a true all-in-one package.

If you truly know nothing about 3D maybe you should start with Sketchup -- easy to use/learn and free... if after working in 3d awhile you find you want/need more then you at least have a better idea of your particular needs.

Best,
    Jason.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Flake i will also check out that website

@jason maranto
    Well the reason i want to start learning 3d is because there seem to be more and more demand for it, and every concept artist i read about seems to also know how to use 3d software.

My goal would be more towards video games, but i really have no idea what a render engine might be. I thought that comes with the software i mentioned above. Is this a "game" engine like Unreal or Cry engine or something?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For most 3d people they use programs like Maxwell Render, Vray, etc. for producing the final render of the model... for video games you probably want to get onboard with this:

http://unity3d.com/unity/coming-soon/unity-3

For video games ZBrush is a must have -- and Maya is a good choice as the main software... Cinema 4D is also very impressive in many ways.

Best,
    Jason.

Last edited by jason_maranto; July 19th, 2010 at 09:49 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 1