Page 9 of 64 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 59 ... LastLast

Thread: Ringling College of Art and Design 2011 hopefuls

Thanks
    I was thinking about setting up a visit when i can, (living in new jersey this isn't all that easy) and i was wondering when is the best time to set this up? how does one do this?

I plan on doing this while my mother is on a holiday break, she works for the NJBOE, but wants to move to florida, so it seems as though two birds can be killed with one stone. this means that Ringling may be on break... right?

since i'm planning this around november, will there be anyway to get my portfolio reviewed so that i can re work it for the next month before sending it in?

I'd have to take a plane down to florida, and i don't even know where i'd get off or where i'd go afterwords. plus i don't drive. any advice?

I haven't talked to anyone in the school, as in admissions or deans, etc, but i figured someone here could give me a basic idea, if not a better one than i'd get otherwise.

thanks for any help.
    Last edited by themegagod; September 30th, 2010 at 11:38 AM. Reason: typo
    Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hi everyone, National Portfolio Day is coming up this Saturday and I am freaking out on what to show. What types of pieces you recommend bringing to a portfolio review? Especially if you're interested in the CA program?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by justobserve View Post
    Hi everyone, National Portfolio Day is coming up this Saturday and I am freaking out on what to show. What types of pieces you recommend bringing to a portfolio review? Especially if you're interested in the CA program?
    figure drawings, sill lives, self portraits, drawing showing perspective,etc

anything from life is good

Thanks
    I second what yyates05 is saying, draw from life as much as possible and have as many figure studies as you can, they really want to see that you can draw motion well

Thanks
    I got back from the open house at Ringling today, and I have to say that the programs seem absolutely fantastic there. I would really love to attend if I could. The only thing that really worries me is the cost of the school. How does one go about paying for an art school like Ringling without breaking the bank?

From what I understand so far, there's financial aid (of course), but there's a limit to that, and whatever financial aid doesn't cover is paid through scholarships, grants, and loans. I'm sure that I could get some scholarships, but probably not enough to cover whatever is left, which is where the loans would come in, right?

After coming out of the financial aid conference today and hearing that the "average" debt that a student leaves from the school with is about 45,000... my heart plummeted. Moreover, the speaker went on to explain that having a job while going to school at Ringling doesn't really work very well, what with the difficult curriculum and all ( which is understandable), but I don't know how else to pay if I can't work to earn the money? Are there any alumni that can give an idea of how they paid through school?

I figured it would be okay to post these questions here, since it pertains to Ringling, but if it's not okay, I apologize. *Newbie*

Thanks
    hey mischavie, i'm no alumni, i'm just another hopeful, so i can't be of too much help, and any information i give may be wrong,

but from what i read and understand, basically you are expected to go into a bit of debt no matter what you do. I think summers are off, at least for certain programs, again i'm not an alumni, in fact i've never been within 30 miles of the school, so i think you could get summer jobs, though later on i believe many successful students have used that time to travel and or intern. Unless you come from money or have someone willing to pay for you, i think you are simply going to be in debt; but from what i understand, an art education is one of the most expensive no matter what school you go to.
    a friend of mine is actually a senior at ringling CA program, he kind of made me look into the school (thank you paul), but he was in debt before attending, so once he got in he basically figured that no matter what he'd be in debt, so he went for it. The education and sleepless nights are worth it. He says he wouldn't change going into debt at ringling at all (though he might change not going to ringling sooner).

on another note, i missed the open house. so how was it? did you meet other hopefuls? What is that area of florida like? I'm a jersey boy, i like what the school produces but i've only been to florida once and that was to see disney land (or disney world, which ever one is in florida), so any info you can give would be nice. If i can get into ringling, i really don't care what it looks like but it might be nice to know the area from someone who saw it recently for open house reasons.
    and anyone who wants to answer any of the above stated questions; You are more than welcome to.

anyway, my understanding, is that you take out a huge loan (or set of loans), spiral into debt, but get an awesome education, then like a doctor, live off ramen in a roach infested one closet apartment for several years while you pay off your debt. Good thing art isn't about becoming rich huh?

Thanks
    Hmm, thanks for responding, Themegagod.

I understand that on one hand, it's really good to go to an art school despite the high price because of the experience one can gain from attending there (IE: networking, great education taught by professional artists, etc.), but I'm not sure I want to get stuck with such a large debt, especially considering how hard it is to get a job in today's sucky economy. I wouldn't mind going to a regular 4-year college to study art, but I'm having a very hard time finding a university nearby that has a good illustration program — I might not be looking hard enough, I guess.

As far as Ringling is concerned, I think the school is wonderful. Most of the students I've met there were very nice (they helped us when we got lost a few times, lol) and the professors there all seemed very passionate about what they taught. Needless to say, the work produced by the students there are — without a doubt — professional. Overall, I'd say that the school has a very strong sense of an art community — everyone takes what they do seriously while enjoying it, too. That's probably the biggest reason why I'd personally want to go... to be surrounded by fellow artists who you can learn from and by inspired by. It's that kind of school environment that motivates you to do more, you know?

Now, I know some people are suckers for how the campus "looks," so I will be honest and say that if a person wants to go to a school for a beautiful campus, this location is not for that person. It's not exactly the high-end art school you'd imagine, what with how much money a student pays to go there, but they are still adding on to the school, so who knows how it will look as time progresses? Moreover, it's located in Sarasota, which is a very nice city. Not extravagant, by any means, but still pleasing (namely because of the waterfront buildings).

Thanks
    I just received a beautiful 1-inch thick, hard backed, 257 page promotional book in the mail from Ringling. It really is well designed, but my first thought was how much the school must have spent to make these??? This is on top of several other thick pamphlets that came only weeks ago. The tuition could be lowered if it weren't for these things!!

Thanks
    Yeah, my same thought when i received my book from ringling. I thought it was some type of mini-textbook i didn't know i ordered at first. i'm used to these tiny 50 pg pamphlets that say "join our school" not a whole book; but i was happy to get it. I keep it in with my reading books, as though it's a real book. it feels like one, it looks like one, so it must be.

Not to sound ignorant, but from looking at your gallery Lane, you already go to school. if you don't mind my asking why are you getting books from ringling? are you transferring in? Either way you have some good art, i'm just being nosy.

Thanks
    I was at open house too! (giving tours and working on the CA/GAD floor).

Yeah, debt's a big concern with a lot of people here. And wow, if that's the average debt I'm way out of the average, and I'm on scholarships.... A lot of people go in on it with the idea that they'll be prepared with the necessary skills to go out and enter the industry right after graduation - that's why I'm here. It's a hard risk to take, but at the same time it's an investment in your future - so invest wisely. Not only are we talking about money, we're also talking about four years of your life.

A word about the Ringling catalog...
    The catalog is the school's primary publication. It's how they reach all you guys who want to know about the school, so it's nice that put the extra effort for you guys. That said, it probably is a bit more expensive to produce than other schools' catalogs (most of the art schools' catalogs are just as thick anyways, but I've noticed that Ringling is rather image oriented beyond that). The catalogs used to be paper back too but they switched to hardback in 2007 I think.... Although... for Ringling the catalog is more than just a way to get the word and work out to prospective students, it's something they really pride themselves in and actually get awards for. All the print material that the school sends out is designed at the Design Center on campus and it's my understanding that it's staffed by a good amount of student interns too.

http://www.facebook.com/ringlingcollegedesigncenter

Also, I'm no expert on money managing, but don't just jump to the conclusion that tuition is paying for that stuff. It might be, I don't know, but I know tuition isn't the only source of money for the school and people keep an eye on what money pays for what (for example, the school's renovation of the old high school into a contemporary art museum is being funded entirely by donors, NONE of it is coming from the students).

Thanks
    Hey everyone, Ringling 2011 hopeful here too. Been lurking since the '09 thread, I remember so many people who have been helping applicants on CA.org since then! I'm actually just applying to some art schools this year to be familiar with the application process and know what I have to improve on in order to be admitted (hopefully ofc) after CC. Maybe even transfer in as a sophomore if there's room, who knows? we're a bit far from that now though at the current skill level haha, but hey, that's what practice is for. Reminder to everyone to get to looking for scholarships and grants already, even if you think it's too early! Ringling is expensive as hell, and there are thousands and thousands of kids out there looking for free money from companies and organizations. good luck everyone!

Thanks

Artists' Retreat Supplies

Hey all! I'm back again. After a very busy several weeks with Trig and my horses. I don't know if anyone else here is, but I'm going to the artist's retreat that's in North Carolina later this month. They send out a supply list based on what class you're taking, and I was able to get nearly all of my supplies at Hobby Lobby, of all places. But I have a problem! On the list it says:

"Colored Conté of Paris Set of 12-24 colors. The more, the better. *Note:
    Avoid sets with neon and bright colors - choose neutral and natural colors."

That's great we have advice on what kind of colors to go for, but... Conté of Paris makes all kinds of different pastels! I bought a set of pencil pastels, and another set of normal pastels that were in portrait (mostly skintone) shades. Anyone have any idea of what I should really have?
    Last edited by Steel Cat 007; October 7th, 2010 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Hit the submit instead of preview... Again. xD
    "[In] A wonderfully atmospheric scene. . .Simplification is key. Imagination fills in the rest" -Ron Law

Never underestimate the power of the human imagination. And never underestimate human stupidity.

Thanks
    themegagod- I'm about to graduate with a graphic design degree from a local university. If there is one thing I've learned over these 4 years, it is that I DON'T want to do graphic design!! lol. It bores me to death. So I am looking into Ringling and other schools to see if I can find something in the entertainment field.

Lizzybeth- You make some valid points about the catalog. It is very well designed, and if it does serve greater purposes than just marketing, then I'm sure the production costs are worth it.

Thanks

Page 9 of 64 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 59 ... LastLast