Ringling College of Art and Design 2011 hopefuls - Page 8

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ya!!! jan 15 is the deadline for computer animation and game art design . so most of them here are CA or GA .we cant be sketching till jan 15 for the portfolio... so i said in an approximate way !!!

Last edited by maanas.93; November 30th, 2010 at 11:26 PM.
    the future is mine

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by maanas.93 View Post
    @copperfire- whatever the way you would feel comfort . i would be glad to see it through any way ,..what medium you have used in your figures which is painted in black
    Cool! I'll post to your sketch book then.

I used charcoal for some and india ink with bamboo pen for other. It really helps give great variation in line.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to copperfire For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aresa View Post
    Hey, copperfire! Great portfolio! I love the red and blue figure drawing you did. Very nice!

I updated my sketchbook with pieces I plan to put in my portfolio. I already know that you gave me some pointers, but I want to know if I'm going in the right direction? Thanks for helping us!
    Thank you so much and no problem! I'll leave a few comments in your sketch book ;D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha! After much fighting with my camera and GIMP I have finally posted a sketchbook! Yessss. It took forever!

And I'd totally love if you would look at my stuff, copperfire (or anyone else for that matter). I'd appreciate any critique and pointers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @copperfire-- still i didnt get any critiques from you!!!

the future is mine

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    how many of you finished your portfolio and completed the aplication process

the future is mine

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't finished my portfolio, but I'm on the 5th piece nowww. So kinda halfway. Haven't started the application process yet. geh.

Even if dreams seem out of reach, reach for them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmm .... @dreamthy - upload your workz !!!! create a sketchbook

the future is mine

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have some studies done, which I'm planning to combine the ones I like best into one piece. I'm planning to have the actual piece done from those studies by Thursday (it'll double as a portfolio piece and a class assignment).

So, technically I'll have 2 done by the end of this week?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Does Ringling/other art schools accept digital paintings for the entrance portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by maanas.93 View Post
    hmmm .... @dreamthy - upload your workz !!!! create a sketchbook
    Yeah...I need to get around to doing that lol. Its a combination of being nervous to show it/lazyness XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still need to finish my app for Ringling. I'm really dragging my feet on that.

As for my portfolio, I'm not that confident with my work so I'm going to keep drawing everything I see while experimenting with different media. Need to improve a ton, but I'm hoping to get everything done by the end of this month.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ya !! even i am planning to complete these by the end of december !!!

the future is mine

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much, copperfire! I really appreciate the help!

I've got a few more pieces done. I'm working on two more still life paintings that I might add as well. I still need to do my essay...argh.

I'll check out some sketchbooks as well!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah. It's the essay for me as well. Ek, all of my college essays actually. After much brainstorming though I think I know what I want to write about.

My dad's buying my Christmas present early so I have more time to use new supplies before the deadline. I'm getting pastels, which I'm really excited about, and more paper. Haha . . . I'm almost out of paper. Time to start raiding the school printers for supplies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is random, but I'd thought I'd share it since I found it interesting and helpful.

9 Very Common Figure Drawing Mistakes, And How to Avoid Them

Some of them are very obvious but you don't tend to think about them until somebody points out to you such as the environment pointer and drawing without a goal in sight one. It's important to remember that you should just loosen up, have fun, and just enjoy the overall process of drawing a figure.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pandadeux For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 378 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I feel like the only reason I'm doing this is to make my parents happy and have a chance of possibly getting out of Texas. I feel like I can build a decent portfolio but I'm still not sure if I want to bury myself deep in student loans and spend 4 years grinding at a place I may or may not like.

I feel divided. This could be a great idea or I could potentially embarrass myself or screw myself over.

For now I just want to prepare a portfolio ready. I've been doing mostly perspective studies but I'm going to include some real-life studies eventually. Since I'm not really into Computer Animation or GAD, I have until March 1. I could probably have something by January though, but I won't rush.

Also... Via: http://www.ringling.edu/WhatToInclude.1967.0.html

Is there anything I should not include?
    One word – anime! The Japanese are doing a fine job producing all the anime the world needs to see. They don’t need help from you! Seriously, most of the anime portfolios we see are terrible – poorly executed and completely unoriginal. You can do better!
    No shit, sherlock, I can do better. I'll hide my completely original and sometimes decently excuted drawings that I honestly never planned on taking to Japan... Yeesh.

Last edited by velderia; December 14th, 2010 at 07:07 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For those still wondering what the Game Art and Design major produces... here's an example of my sophomore work:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR09sbBcVi4 watch in 720p

The assets in this video were created by the entire sophomore class of GADs (including myself) and this specific iteration of lighting, layout and level design was all my doing. Enjoy

sketchwax.blogspot.com Updated December 2011

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by velderia View Post
    I feel like the only reason I'm doing this is to make my parents happy and have a chance of possibly getting out of Texas. I feel like I can build a decent portfolio but I'm still not sure if I want to bury myself deep in student loans and spend 4 years grinding at a place I may or may not like.

I feel divided. This could be a great idea or I could potentially embarrass myself or screw myself over.

For now I just want to prepare a portfolio ready. I've been doing mostly perspective studies but I'm going to include some real-life studies eventually. Since I'm not really into Computer Animation or GAD, I have until March 1. I could probably have something by January though, but I won't rush.
    I wouldn't recommend going to Ringling for anything other than Computer Animation or Game Art and Design. Even then, I've been mostly unsatisfied with my experience at the school as a CA major. So far, I've found it to be mostly a housing complex where students learn from online tutorials.

Patience is a virtue, but who wants to be virtuous?

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lowercase For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by velderia View Post

Also... Via: http://www.ringling.edu/WhatToInclude.1967.0.html

No shit, sherlock, I can do better. I'll hide my completely orignal and sometimes decently excuted drawings that I honestly never planned on taking to Japan... Yeesh.

If you dont want to commit 4 years to a program that could potentially strengthen your skills as an artist, then you SHOULDN'T do school.

If you are under the mindset that you need to go to school in order to appease someone else other than yourself, then you SHOULDN'T do school.

If you are truly worried about the amount of debt that you think you will never pay off, then you are unfocused to your commitment to your own personal development and livelihood, and you SHOULDN'T do school.

You should do school if:
    - You want to learn not necessarily by instruction, but side by side with other people who are interested in the same thing you are.
    - You want to make a career out of a passion and have fun doing jobs that you'd otherwise be doing in your free time.
    - Its something you can sacrifice up to five years of your time for making the rest of your life worth living.

Take everything I just said here at surface value, because everyone's situation is different and no two are the same. I am telling you right now though, if you're coming to school to make someone else happy, I've been down that road before -- it leads to not caring, failing, dropping out and getting a ton of debt for no good reason.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Limewax For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Limewax, you said a lot of great stuff right there and I completely agree with it.
    This is your life guys, you've only got one, you shouldn't let other people lead it, especially if you have your reservations. This is a big life decision and chances are it's going to affect your work/career - and definitely your finances for many many years to come. It's a decision you need to make for yourself - regardless of pressures from others.

Quote Originally Posted by lowercase View Post
    I wouldn't recommend going to Ringling for anything other than Computer Animation or Game Art and Design. Even then, I've been mostly unsatisfied with my experience at the school as a CA major. So far, I've found it to be mostly a housing complex where students learn from online tutorials.
    I've got to agree with you a bit on this one, and I think it's something good for people to be made aware of. Coming to school I expected more in terms of instruction, much more, and it was a bit of a shock when I didn't get it. Actual lectures or lessons are far and few between and most of learning tends to come from the work coupled with in class feedback (like, you're probably talking one on one with the teacher maybe 10 minutes a week). Some teachers are simply not very outspoken about things and you've got to come to them continually and with very specific questions to get useful feedback. It does seem too that an equal part of the instruction is from supplementary materials, be it books, videos, internet tutorials etc. In my experience it seems that students tend to rely on these supplemental sources mostly for modeling, rigging, lighting, texturing, compositing, and anything technical (which really is not covered at all). For things like animation and scene progression, however, I have found the instruction invaluable and wish that I as a student have been more ahead in my work in that area so I could get more feedback on it. Even though my expectations/satisfaction has not been met by several classes there have been a few phenomenal instructors I have had the honor and privilege of learning from. Their teaching has challenged me on another level, changed the very way I understand things, and made me excited to create. That, for me, makes it worth it at the end of the day.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lizzybeth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone! We're coming down to the final few days...I finally finished my common app and sent in my transcript and everything! Once it's confirmed I can start uploading my portfolio.

Still, I want to make this portfolio better and since my saturday art classes are finished, I have no more nude models.
    This forum however provided many sites with pictures of nude models with spectacular lighting for value and such.
    This is a bit off topic, but using photo references of models for portfolio pieces? Is that a big no no?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Limewax View Post
    If you dont want to commit 4 years to a program that could potentially strengthen your skills as an artist, then you SHOULDN'T do school.

If you are under the mindset that you need to go to school in order to appease someone else other than yourself, then you SHOULDN'T do school.

If you are truly worried about the amount of debt that you think you will never pay off, then you are unfocused to your commitment to your own personal development and livelihood, and you SHOULDN'T do school.

You should do school if:
    - You want to learn not necessarily by instruction, but side by side with other people who are interested in the same thing you are.
    - You want to make a career out of a passion and have fun doing jobs that you'd otherwise be doing in your free time.
    - Its something you can sacrifice up to five years of your time for making the rest of your life worth living.

Take everything I just said here at surface value, because everyone's situation is different and no two are the same. I am telling you right now though, if you're coming to school to make someone else happy, I've been down that road before -- it leads to not caring, failing, dropping out and getting a ton of debt for no good reason.
    I feel like I'm doing it for all of those six reasons.

If I don't go, I'll just be stuck here, but I feel like if I can go for at least one year, I'm probably 25-50% better off than sticking to what I'm doing now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Simply attending this school does not make you magically become a better artist. There are people who are sophomore level right now who have appeared to not learn anything up to this point... and this is because they havent been putting in the required time that they need to on certain techniques or learning certain program functions.

Frankly, I love the networking opportunity that this school offers me. I get to work with 10-15 other passionate people that love to do what I love to do. I'm completely with lizzybeth on the whole "changed the way how i think about things" in the end of the day... its true. The professors here really make you reexamine yourself.

Velderia, your last statement was a contradiction unless I am reading it wrong.... First of all, you're never STUCK anywhere. You are an individual capable of anything that you desire (within legal limitations).

You want to "MAKE CONCEPT ART" -- thats cool, uninstall your life and restart your thinking process.
    you want to animate? Whats stopping you right now?
    You want to design games? Whats stopping you right now?
    you want to learn how to paint traditionally? Whats stopping you right now?
    You want to learn how to use Maya? whats stopping you right now?
    You want to pick up zBrush? whats stopping you right now?
    You want to make pretty art? whats stopping you right now?
    You want to design interiors? Whats stopping you right now?
    You want to sketch pretty? Sketch more. whats stopping you right now?
    You want to be a digital painter? Whats stopping you right now?

Money?.... you can get money. Thats not a valid excuse.

Who is going to judge you on all of this? Only yourself.... and that is also the answer to whats stopping you for everything that you're worried about. Its only yourself thats stopping you from achieving all of these great things.

Take some time for some personal reflection before you jump off the deep-end in to a life filled with crunch times, due dates, and student loans. The information I've learned on these forums has been substantially more broad and beneficial to me than I've learned in my education, however the education I am receiving is more focused and official and after all is said and done I will have a piece of paper that says I know what I know and I will have made the contacts necessary (networking) for the position that I strive for.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Limewax For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ... Have you checked the job requirements lately? It's either experience or degree in ____. Unless I'm looking in the wrong places?

And drawing at home apparently doesn't count as experience.

"Who is going to judge you on all of this?" The editor/client that can't waste time or money on someone that is inexperienced and doesn't have remote proof of a higher education. That's who. Not me.

Last edited by velderia; December 15th, 2010 at 12:36 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    See, that's the thing I have always taught myself stuff by online tutorials and books, so i'm sure I could learn on my own. So the question is do you really need school?

I don't like the idea of a lot of things being self taught at Ringling. what's the point of spending all that money then? Not that I want to be spoon fed, but i don't know.. I guess that's how it is in real life anyway. gotta do everything yourself, and on your own time.

2011 Ringling Hopeful! ^_^
    ~Most Current Art/life blog
    ~My CA Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To clarify on my previous post...

Attending Ringling is not like being self taught.

-That is unless you want to advance yourself in an area not covered by the course material/beyond the course material or are not utilizing your teachers (ie, not asking them for the appropriate feedback, which they are more than happy to give, trust me, and they give very good feedback).

for example... As a sophomore when we were modeling out first human characters we had a modeling demo for a class (2.5hrs); were then referred to "tutorials"/"help docs"/notes/reference online for the class site (locked to those in the major, btw); worked on our models using what we went over in class, the online documentation, help from our classmates when we got stuck, email from our instructors when we got really stuck (we're talking an hour trying to solve a problem here - my teacher didn't really do email and I simply learned not to rely on it and instead sought help from my peers more, and I got my stuff done just the same); and then got feedback on what we had done next class when they'd come around to everybody. That's a pretty typical scenario for an animation class. More of the self taught aspect came in on the specifics. For out characters we of course needed hands, and methods for constructing them wasn't covered in class and only had some screen caps of finished topology online. A lot of us sophomores really struggled with those when time came to model them and we had to have then done before next class. A senior referred me to a great portugese tutorial with tons of screen caps that I was able to follow along to construct a hand with good topology. That's the sort of self teaching I am talking about - supplementing the course with other materials when necessary/desired. I had a teacher who gave great instruction for animation and overall visual appeal, but they were less familiar with other things like rigging and so their discussion of them was less thorough. Consequently I found myself having to look again to my peers and documentation for help in that area, but by the same token I was more able to help with things like animation. And all this varies by teacher.

From my experience it seems like...
    Character animation gets the biggest emphasis, which is great because it's probably the hardest to try and learn on your own
    Modeling is important but not a whole lot beyond what I consider to be "basic" or maybe "intermediate" instruction is given. We got lectures for the first few modeling assignments and after that it was just instructor feedback in passing.
    Lighting/texturing is also pretty important, but again not lectured on enough. Typically there is pretty good feedback and suggestions in this area though.
    Rendering/compositing gets less emphasis. It's covered/addressed with its own little exercise or two but after that very little is said about it and if you want to know more you're definitely going to need to look into it on your own to get past the basic level.
    Rigging is covered in the first few projects but doesn't really get beyond that. You'll know enough to be able to put together a character reasonably, but if you want to get fancy you'll need to look elsewhere or find the right teacher to talk to. After CA I we use "The setup machine" to rig our characters" and then make our face rig using jointed jaws, blendshapes, and slider controls (created with scripts from out inhouse toolset).
    Scripting, simply, is not covered.

(this is only my experience. I have only had two different teachers for CA, and seen other classes work on occasion, but this appears to generally be the case...)

Story and Drawing/Painting get their own classes, Concept/Pre-Pro and DFA respectively. Concept usually with have a short introductory lecture for the project and the rest will be driven by an alternation of class critiques and personal instructor feedback during rounds. DFA is similarly structured but with less lecturing, an occasional demo, less critiques, and a much greater emphasis on rounds with the majority of classes being "work in class".

If there is an specific area that you find yourself really wanting to go into chances are you're already reading up extra stuff on it and doing work on your own (if not then you should!). The other thing too is that often times you're applying the stuff that you use as a supplement directly to your class work to get it to a higher level - and higher level work means higher level feedback, and if it's an area that you really want to better yourself in you're going to put in that extra effort to get that better feedback, that more advanced critique. People who want to be animators follow all those animation specific blogs, do side projects, occasional 11second club stuff, and sometimes show it to their instructors, etc. People who want to be in visual development follow the great art blogs, do drawings/illustrations on their own, take some illustration courses, and maybe show their outside stuff to their teachers. People who want to do story follow the storyboard artist blogs, work on stories and boards on their own in their "free-time", and maybe send it off to see what a teacher thinks. -etc. The basics for everything are pretty much all covered at some point for all the classes. It's in areas that you struggle in or want to excel in that you're going to have to look further, and that's just something you're going to have to do all your life, it's just a little more noticeable when you're paying giant sums of money and you expect them to get a little more advanced their instruction from time to time (their expectations are always advanced).... Although, like I said, there are those teachers that truly change everything and make up for the downfalls of other classes.

Again, let me end this with the disclaimer that I am just one student at one school. I've only been there five semesters and I certainly haven't had all of the instructors. I haven't been to any other art schools so I have no real idea of how they may be similar or different. I am a current student who went to ringling straight from high school. I am not a graduate, I am not an alumni, I have no real work experience current or prior, and have not been out in the big bad world

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lizzybeth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The only con about going to art school is the tuition honestly

The pros
    -A degree which demonstrates knowledge and work ethic
    -Free access to resources and facilities like life models
    -Surrounding yourself with peers and mentors who can give immediate criticism and motivation
    -A network of contacts
    -Opportunities for internship that would otherwise be unavailable (letters of recommendation, etc)
    -Friends/college and life experience unless you're a social recluse
    -And obviously the education. This varies greatly from school to major, but I firmly believe you WILL learn things by going to a 4 year art school. As long as you have the mentality that you will learn, instead of spending the whole time cluttering your thoughts with "I could have done this w/o going to Rtschool hurhudhhdrudurdurdur." When you go to art school you are given all of these, it's up to you whether you utilize it to the utmost or bum around

I mean obviously you can succeed by becoming self taught. But I think people are way too skeptical just because there are guys like Marko D floating around. For those who are still wondering if art school is worth it, go and find out. You can always drop out if you really find it to be worthless, reading any further advice would only end up confusing you. I can spend hours reading positive and negative reviews on an album but I wouldn't be able to form an honest opinion/know for sure without actually listening to it. Doing otherwise would be ignorant as fuck

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Eldritch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uck. Reading about the pros and cons to art college makes me want to slam my head into a window >__<'' anxietyyy, ftw. Well, I'm just going to focus on my portfolio- and THEN I can start spazzing about whether to go or not.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @dreamthy how is your portfolio prep is going !!

the future is mine

Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 8