Page 36 of 64 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast

Thread: Ringling College of Art and Design 2011 hopefuls

Thanks
    Also, being someone who doesn't drink or smoke makes the state school life a bit treacherous. I'm sure that would be an issue for me at Ringling as well, but it's more the ducation i'm focused on.
    You'll be happy to know that Ringling isn't known for being a party school ;D. If anything it's a sort of nerdy 'LETS PLAY VIDEO GAMES, WATCH GOOD MOVIES AND DRAW!' school from what I've heard. You're probably not going to come across cliché college parties there like you would at other schools.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I like video games!

Thanks
    lol it's tough because i have many games to play and i never do. I figure any time i have to be playing video games i should be drawing instead. Ah, the sacrifice- gotta love it!
    Sketchbook: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...=208471&page=2

ArtBlog: http://bengraceart.blogspot.com/

"If it was easy, everyone would do it"

Thanks
    I have no college fund, sigh oh how well my parents plan. Their plan is, hey work hard and get scholarships! I love video games and movies and the only parties I've ever been to with tons of people are school sponsored games after a football game...at a Christian school. No beer or drugs there.

Thanks
    About money...

I don't know how to word this so I don't sound like a bitch, haha. But if you genuinely feel that something (in this case, Ringling) is THE thing for you, you'll find a way to go. Money is just an obstacle that you have to pass, but if you let something like money (which is always coming and going) get in the way of your ambitions, then to me it just says that you didn't try hard enough. OR, it wasn't as important to you as you thought.

*There are loans, scholarships, grants.

*You could wait and move down to Florida, live there for a year and be eligible for the state grants.

*You could get a full time job, or multiple part time ones and just save, save, save.

*You could set up an online store, get your designs accepted at Threadless.com for t-shirts and earn money that way.

*Enter contests, do commissions, etc. etc.

Ringling's 30,000 tuition (+housing) is extremely steep, yeah. For me, my family has literally NOTHING so I can't help but be worried how I'm going to pay for it if I get accepted, but there's ALWAYS a way if you look for one.

I just had to get this out of the way because, to be perfectly frank, it bothers me when people use money as an excuse :/ So what if you're 100,000 in debt? At least you're HAPPY and have a set of skills that NO ONE will ever be able to take away from you. To me, that is invaluable.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pandadeux For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeesh...from seeing everyone's sample artworks, I really don't think I stand a chance with getting in this year. I've taken Saturday college courses in Philly for two years, but I don't feel like my art is all that great to make it this year. Still, I'm trying to keep positive! If I don't get in this year, there's always next year if another college I choose doesn't quite fulfill my expectations.
    I just want to know already!! Haha

Thanks
    Hey Katie, what major did you apply for (8?

You should also post your portfolio! This is a great place to get helpful critiques and such :j

Thanks
    Hey! CA and GAD majors should hear their fate by next week and the week after! Gaah, so nervous!

Keep your head up high, katiegeewhiz! Good luck!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aresa View Post
    Hey! CA and GAD majors should hear their fate by next week and the week after! Gaah, so nervous!

Keep your head up high, katiegeewhiz! Good luck!

Nervous is an understatement! I get waves of nausea whenever I think about judgment day being so close...

Gosh >___<

To make my self feel better about rejection I already planned out the next year by setting up a timeline, general landmarks, and have even scoped out what classes I want to take at the community college I'm going to transfer over from my university if I don't get into Ringling. LOL.

@ Katiegeewhiz,

Don't assume! Don't assume until you get that letter/package in the mail. Just be optimistic! and hope for the best! And the peeps here at Concept art are only sample. You don't know how the other hundreds of portfolios might be like. They could be utter crap? But yes, like Aresa said, keep your chin up C:!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pandadeux View Post
    Nervous is an understatement! I get waves of nausea whenever I think about judgment day being so close...

Gosh >___<

To make my self feel better about rejection I already planned out the next year by setting up a timeline, general landmarks, and have even scoped out what classes I want to take at the community college I'm going to transfer over from my university if I don't get into Ringling. LOL.
    You're so right. Nervous is an understatement. More like "panicking and bashing my head against a wall."....Well, for me it is! Haha!

Lol! Good plan! Here's hoping that you don't have to resort to that!

Best of luck, everyone!

Thanks
    Hope everyone gets in. Maybe next year I'll be in the school with you all.

I'm compiling a long list from the past 10 years, of who's graduated from the CA course at Ringling, and what they're doing now. Hope it keeps you guy's motivated.

Nick Pitera - Graduated 2008 - Works at Pixar

Ben Beech - Graduated 2008 - Works at Pixar

Cat Hicks - Graduated 2009 - Works at Pixar

Lindsey Olivares - Graduated 2009 - Works at Dreamworks

Liron Topaz - Graduated 2009 - Works at Dreamworks

Jorge Garcia - Graduated 2009 - Works at Rhythm and Hues Studios

Jin Kum - Graduated 2009 - Works at Sony Imageworks

Yezi Xue - Graduated 2010 - Works at Sony Imageworks

Shane Cauchi - Graduated 2010 - Works at Sony Imageworks

Jill Hackett - Graduated 2010 - Works at Blue Sky Studios

I'm still working on the list, trying to get all the way back from the early 2000's. I'm only working with the ones on the portfolio page, and others I have found already.

Thanks
    DanialGlover,
    cool idea!
    maybe you could list the area they're working in too, like animation or lighting, etc.

Thanks
    Ahh. I just got a postcard from Ringling that said they don't have one of my transcripts, even though I sent it two weeks ago. I emailed them but obviously won't get a reply until monday. Trying hard not to stress out.

Page 36 of 64 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast