Ringling College of Art and Design 2011 hopefuls - Page 28

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Results 811 to 832 of 832
  1. #811
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Shandong, China
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    @twerbb: Ya, language class is boring~ By the way, twerbb, how did you know about Ringling's GAD program? The first graduated year of students have just finished their study 3 weeks ago, so GAD is still quite young.



    Meanwhile, I've confirmed enrollment to GAD this morning, I know I've made a right decision. However, I heard no further arrangement for my hostel, although I've submitted the housing contract... is the staff going to accommodate me later??


    Oh, previously, I was told CA and GAD had classes with the same group of lecturers, but today I asked another GAD student, he said only some of our lecturers were transfered from CA, so regarding on the matter of faculties, I'm not really sure...therefore, for someone who cares about this, please don't be misguided by me~

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #812
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    lets have faith in the GAD major hmm as for the housing, i think they will send out information regarding housing and visa in first week of june. i have no idea bout the lecturers.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  4. #813
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    132
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rainingwalker View Post
    I also want to know if the GAD students must take quite some programming courses; if the senior project in GAD is a game with full functions.[/COLOR] I SERIOUSLY HATE PROGRAMMING ( My skin is allergic to codes...and my Java tutor!)
    not 100% sure on this, the "programming" is scripting using UnrealScript & Maya's MEL. Not this
    Code:
    int main() 
    {
    cout << "Hello World!\n";
    return 0; 
    }
    stuff

    The first graduating class just had to make a game trailer. The following classes will need a playable portion. Of course that my change since the program is still young.

    About switching between CA & GAD. If there's space, maybe.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  5. #814
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Shandong, China
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Richter View Post
    not 100% sure on this, the "programming" is scripting using UnrealScript & Maya's MEL. Not this
    Code:
    int main() 
    {
    cout << "Hello World!\n";
    return 0; 
    }
    stuff

    The first graduating class just had to make a game trailer. The following classes will need a playable portion. Of course that my change since the program is still young.

    About switching between CA & GAD. If there's space, maybe.

    The following classes are required to produce functional games as senior theses??!! (I mean "what the heck?!") I've heard the scripting stuffs we learn are more visual than textual, is it true? Honestly, Richter, how many GAD assignments are related to create a game?

    What does GAD really emphasize? Creating 3D game environments or producing functional games? I'm a bit confused. I am ok with staying up late at night with a box of biscuits to model something, but not typing codes. :/

    Thank you Richter, looking forward to your reply.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  6. #815
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Average Age of Incoming Students

    Hi, I'm finishing up my last year of school, and next June I will have a bachelors of fine arts degree--concentrating in painting, from a liberal arts college. When I graduate, I'll be 23, and the plan for after graduation right now is to attend undergrad (again x_x) for either 2D or 3D animation. Right now I've done a lot of research on Calarts and Ringling, and they have both won me over for different reasons.

    My objective for posting on this forum (I spent the last day reading this whole thread,) is to learn more about the average age of entering students into Ringling's CA program. Since I'll have a liberal arts degree under my belt, I'm confident I won't be a freshman due to transferring credits, and will only potentially attend Ringling for three years. Is it common for people with previous degrees to attend Ringling's CA or GAD programs? Or to start school in their early-mid twenties? What percentage of your classmates graduate at 26-27? How is the workload different for people who have credits from other institutions? Are they still required to take electives, or can they instead take just the core requirements towards their intended major. It would certainly be nice to only pay for three years of schooling, and focus all of my energy into becoming a computer animator.

    Please write back! I'm excited to have finally joined this looong conversation ... even if it has died down significantly.

    Britt

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  7. #816
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    132
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rainingwalker View Post
    The following classes are required to produce functional games as senior theses??!!
    no just a portion with some kind of objective - eg. walk around and blow up a box. All the classes you take prepare you for your thesis. That goes for all majors.

    I cant get into the specifics of the GAD program since i was a CA.

    Go download the Unreal Development Kit and mess around with it and get a head start.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Richter For This Useful Post:


  9. #817
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hey everyone!

    So as it turns out my first choice school has awarded me a higher scholarship and financial aid package than Ringling so I will not be attending. I wish everyone the best of luck at Ringling!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  10. #818
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    83
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 19 Times in 14 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hey guys! Just thought I'd tell you that Ringling's put some 2011 CA senior theses up on their site.

    EDIT: Well, they were up . . . but not anymore. I'm guessing that they're updating the site right now.

    Last edited by Addle; June 3rd, 2011 at 05:07 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  11. #819
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Shandong, China
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hi, Britt, as you can tell not too many CA seniors regularly check this thread, so if you really want your questions to be answered, you may want to check this video out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTdtvCKmPbo

    Hope you can find something in the viewers' comments~

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  12. #820
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida/Ringling
    Posts
    257
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 114 Times in 70 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by il_gatto_dipinto View Post
    Hi, I'm finishing up my last year of school, and next June I will have a bachelors of fine arts degree--concentrating in painting, from a liberal arts college. When I graduate, I'll be 23, and the plan for after graduation right now is to attend undergrad (again x_x) for either 2D or 3D animation. Right now I've done a lot of research on Calarts and Ringling, and they have both won me over for different reasons.

    My objective for posting on this forum (I spent the last day reading this whole thread,) is to learn more about the average age of entering students into Ringling's CA program. Since I'll have a liberal arts degree under my belt, I'm confident I won't be a freshman due to transferring credits, and will only potentially attend Ringling for three years. Is it common for people with previous degrees to attend Ringling's CA or GAD programs? Or to start school in their early-mid twenties? What percentage of your classmates graduate at 26-27? How is the workload different for people who have credits from other institutions? Are they still required to take electives, or can they instead take just the core requirements towards their intended major. It would certainly be nice to only pay for three years of schooling, and focus all of my energy into becoming a computer animator.

    Please write back! I'm excited to have finally joined this looong conversation ... even if it has died down significantly.

    Britt
    CalArts and Ringling were my two big schools too. The are both great schools and they are both different, but you know all about that from your research (:

    I wouldn't count on getting into ca/gad as a sophomore, even with a liberal arts degree. However, while it might not be possible to complete the program in three years, you could probably pay less by going down to part time tuition in your degree transfers in for your other required classes.

    Don't worry about having a previous degree or being a little bit older. It's not uncommon at all, and definitely not a big deal. You'll fit in with everything just fine! Lots of people come in straight from high school but a lot took a year or two off, did some community college, got another degree (related or unrelated), had previous careers, were in the military, etc. Most freshman are probably 18-22 years old and most people in the major fit in to the 20-30 year range.

    Workload wise, you're going to work your but off either way. The more transfer credits you get though the more time you get to devoter to your major, which will always demand the most time. I know some guys who have previous degrees or credit out of the way who work as part time students so they can devote all their time to the classes in their major.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  13. #821
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzybeth View Post
    CalArts and Ringling were my two big schools too. The are both great schools and they are both different, but you know all about that from your research (:

    I wouldn't count on getting into ca/gad as a sophomore, even with a liberal arts degree. However, while it might not be possible to complete the program in three years, you could probably pay less by going down to part time tuition in your degree transfers in for your other required classes.

    Don't worry about having a previous degree or being a little bit older. It's not uncommon at all, and definitely not a big deal. You'll fit in with everything just fine! Lots of people come in straight from high school but a lot took a year or two off, did some community college, got another degree (related or unrelated), had previous careers, were in the military, etc. Most freshman are probably 18-22 years old and most people in the major fit in to the 20-30 year range.

    Workload wise, you're going to work your but off either way. The more transfer credits you get though the more time you get to devoter to your major, which will always demand the most time. I know some guys who have previous degrees or credit out of the way who work as part time students so they can devote all their time to the classes in their major.
    Thanks for the reply. I have a few questions though, so bear with me. I went through these many pages of thread, and there were quite a few people who transferred in as sophomores this year. Most of them were coming from community college, and there was one person who had 3 years of credits, and they were accepted as a Sophomore with Junior's standing. Why do you feel I won't be as lucky? If I can't get accepted as a sophomore, then I may not have the money to go to Ringling. Also, could you explain in more detail what "pay less by going down to part time tuition in your degree transfers in for your other required classes" means? I didn't know you could be a part-time student at Ringling. How much less does it cost? I can't find any information about this on their website.

    Thanks again.
    Britt

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  14. #822
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    34
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hi Britt, Ringling CA senior here.

    Like Lizzybeth said, there's no chance you'd be able to transfer into CA or GAD as a sophomore, but it doesn't have anything to do with your skill level. There are just some freshman classes that are tailored specifically to the major, such as Traditional Animation, that any other liberal arts credit wouldn't adequately replace.

    It is possible to be accepted as a sophomore if you're applying for Illustration, based on your skill level. I believe it's also possible to enroll in ILL part-time. It's not possible to enroll part-time in CA or GAD, though. I have no idea about part-time enrollment costs, but if you emailed finaid@ringling.edu, they'd be happy to help you.

    I can't really afford to go here, either. Most of us can't. I have a $1400/year scholarship, I'm taking out a couple of Stafford loans, and I had to sell my soul and my firstborn child. Now, if you're considering attending Ringling for any major besides CA, GAD, or Ill, tuition is so high that I wouldn't bother unless money is not a problem for you. It's worth the investment if you really want to go into computer animation though, IMO. Ringling's CA department is ranked no. 1 in the US, and tons of big animation and gaming companies (Blizzard, EA, Pixar, Dreamworks, Disney, Laika, Blue Sky, to name a few) come directly to Ringling every year to recruit students. Also, the CA teachers are really great people who've all worked in the industry and will literally work around the clock to help you. Going to Ringling doesn't guarantee you job placement upon graduation, of course; you have to really devote yourself to your work and take advantage of all the connections and opportunities available to you while you're here.

    I didn't bother to read through this whole thread so I don't know if any of this information is redundant, but I hope it helped a little bit.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  15. #823
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Shandong, China
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hey, where do the students normally go for their meals? How do you think of the food of the school's meal-plans, are they really worth the costs compared with eating in cafes or restaurants? I notice that the cost of Room & Board for 2011-2012 is $12,150 big ones, I only want to live in dorm. for may be just one sem, then later going out and rent an apartment, but for the board, I'm not sure whether the school's canteens can offer people fairly good quality of food with a reasonable price~ Anybody? Thank you!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  16. #824
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Texas ---> Florida
    Posts
    100
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I'm pretty sure that all on-campus freshman are required to have the full 19 meal-plan, which sucks, but there aren't any kitchens in the freshman dorms. Once you choose an apartment/off campus/different housing... you can eat whatever or get a smaller meal-plan.

    I know that there are few places to eat on-campus. So far, I haven't heard great things about them from current students. I know there are themed meal nights sometime at the Commons (ex: chinese food night)... but, I think these are pretty rare. I think brickman cafe is supposedly better, and then there is Outtakes where your meal-plan gives you a $3 credit to your purchase.

    There is also burger king around the corner and a mexican restaurant nearby. Ermmm... I'm sure the current students can help you more. It shouldn't be too bad. As for "healthy" options, there are salads and sandwiches I believe and of course, some sort of vegetarian options.

    One RA told me that the cooks *will* help to prepare a meal for you if you have dietary restrictions (gluten intolerance for example). Don't forget that you can have a microwave and/or mini-fridge in your dorm room, so you can supplement your diet with your own food.

    Have you joined the facebook group yet?? It's "Ringling Class of 2015" and I highly suggest you join... there's a lot of info on that group already and active students that can help to answer questions.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Praemium For This Useful Post:


  18. #825
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Shandong, China
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    @Praemium: Thank you dude, that's really lots of useful information you shared~! Now, I don't need to worry the food since there are plenty of on-campus cafes to go, and as you've mentioned the dorms equip with microwaves/mini fridges. "Brickman Cafe", I'll remember that and try there first! Yeah, I have just joined that group! Thanks again!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  19. #826
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    USA, Connecticut
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hey guys, just wanted to mention to you guys that if you go to your my.ringling.edu you'll be able to see on your billing statement what dorm you'll have.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  20. #827
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    OH Me too. I got accepted a long time ago. And I was stalking this forum, but I forgot to inform y'all that I am INNN. YEAHH, and stuff!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  21. #828
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Texas ---> Florida
    Posts
    100
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CreepySnake View Post
    OH Me too. I got accepted a long time ago. And I was stalking this forum, but I forgot to inform y'all that I am INNN. YEAHH, and stuff!
    Cool!! What major?? I'll be in CA... can't wait! As posted above, be sure to join the facebook group for 2015.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  22. #829
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    28
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    around what time does FEWS start?
    does it has its own facebook or something?

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  23. #830
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida/Ringling
    Posts
    257
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 114 Times in 70 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk=group_2203792387
    They should send out a mass message sometime after school starts with staring dates, and what sort of poses are on what days. It usually starts up a month in to school or so. They have a table at the club fair at the beginning of the year too where you can sign up/pay ahead/ask questions.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  24. #831
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    another Ringling hopeful here gotta fill my folio with good observational drawing and life drawing should have saved more at the end of the sessions but more fun to draw better ones

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  25. #832
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    ... I remember posting in the Ringling hopeful's thread in 2007... now I have graduated...
    *tear sniffle*
    ...it goes by fast guys!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Members who have read this thread: 11

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook