Ringling College of Art and Design 2011 hopefuls - Page 27

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Thread: Ringling College of Art and Design 2011 hopefuls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Cetriya View Post
    - there's 1-2 classes I'd like to opt out in the illustration, mostly 'computer illustration' or something like that, I know how to use photoshop so I'm wondering if I can present a digital portfolio to 'skip' this class?
    I'm pretty sure you can't do that. Regardless, that class is more than a photoshop class - it's an illustration class. Every studio here may have a technical component but will always be artistically based - learning the tools while you do the assignments.

- hows the printing fees? whats the rules on that?
    Print services costs money but has quality printing and lots of paper/format options. Everyone gets money for lab printing (laser, letter and tabloid sizes) from the school and it varies per year and major. When I was a freshman it was $50 for the year. Black and white printing is free, color is $1 per page out of your account.

- about deferment, may I have it for 1 semester? I want to enter in the sprint term, not the fall term
    I'm pretty sure you can't do that, but if you really want it call and ask. ILL is one of the more flexible departments. Classes aren't offered all the time though, most are strictly spring or fall classes, not both, and classes need to be taken in order.

oh, and how's that life drawing sessions? heard its every night, I really want to follow that.
    FEWS? Those are open figure drawing sessions Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday nights. Times range from gestures to a single pose for the whole session. It's only $50 for the year, $25 per semester, or $5 per session. It's great, you should go to it.

And what is the work study like?
    Basically a job on campus. You have to apply for it and everything and it's not an automatic thing so ask career services/etc about it as soon as you get to campus. You're capped at making $2000 per academic year under it - and no taxes are taken out. You may be able to make more than $2000 and have them start taking taxes out, I'm not sure because I've never gone over. Possible work study jobs include career services, admissions, other offices around campus, mailroom (where I work), studio lab monitor, campus activities, etc. Resident Assistant is another job on campus open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors, but the competition for the job is very competitive. Resident Assistance get free campus housing and meal plans as compensation for the work they do. Non work study jobs around campus - for those who need more hours - include working for Chartwells (the food company the school works with) in the cafeteria, outtakes, or the cafe, and working for Efollet (the campus bookstore). Those jobs, while they are at school, are not through the school (that's why they're not work study, they're just jobs) but through outside companies that contract with the school.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lizzybeth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @addle , @ rainingwalker - thankz guyz .. and rainingwalker . . yours may be on the way so be ready for a surprise ......

the future is mine

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BGrizzMayne View Post
    I am planning to apply to Ringling in for the fall of 2013. Does anyone have any information about scholarship aid? I'd be a transfer student, so I wonder if I'd be elligble for anything; really will have a hard time affording school.

Maybe I should contact Ringling's admissions? I'm still developing my animation skillset in school, but it never hurts to start planning and figuring out what I'd need to do to get prepared for the future. Any scholarship info is appreciated!
    Just going to bump my thread to the next page =D

Congrats to everyone who got into computer animation!!! As for the money- IDK how i'm gonna figure that out

Sketchbook: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...=208471&page=2

ArtBlog: http://bengraceart.blogspot.com/

"If it was easy, everyone would do it"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by maanas.93 View Post
    @addle , @ rainingwalker - thankz guyz .. and rainingwalker . . yours may be on the way so be ready for a surprise ......
    @maanas: "on the way"?? You mean you've received the acceptance packet?? I thought your admission counselor informed you by email, I have being checking my email the whole day~ Once again, congratulations,dude!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzybeth View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can't do that. Regardless, that class is more than a photoshop class - it's an illustration class. Every studio here may have a technical component but will always be artistically based - learning the tools while you do the assignments.
    hey, had to ask, and I did call them, and they explained in depth so I'm not to bothered by that class now. Its just that I've had that's called one thing, only to be disappointed.

Print services costs money but has quality printing and lots of paper/format options. Everyone gets money for lab printing (laser, letter and tabloid sizes) from the school and it varies per year and major. When I was a freshman it was $50 for the year. Black and white printing is free, color is $1 per page out of your account.
    1$ for any size or? and is that 50$ you have to pay more for or is that credit from your tuition?

I'm pretty sure you can't do that, but if you really want it call and ask. ILL is one of the more flexible departments. Classes aren't offered all the time though, most are strictly spring or fall classes, not both, and classes need to be taken in order.
    because some of my classes transfered yet I'm still considered a freshmen, I called and it was said it would be better to enter in spring so I got that worked out

FEWS? Those are open figure drawing sessions Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday nights. Times range from gestures to a single pose for the whole session. It's only $50 for the year, $25 per semester, or $5 per session. It's great, you should go to it.
    yes thats the one! you have to pay even more for that? *sigh* alright then...

any other clubs to take a look at?

... You have to apply for it and everything and it's not an automatic thing so ask career services/etc about it as soon as you get to campus. You're capped at making $2000 per academic year under it - and no taxes are taken out. You may be able to make more than $2000 and have them start taking taxes out, I'm not sure because I've never gone over...
    hmm, tried calling the financial aid, got answering machine, will try again tomorrow. I'm assuming you can't apply for this before you get there huh?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1$ for any size or? and is that 50$ you have to pay more for or is that credit from your tuition?
    It's $1 for either letter or tabloid in color. Everyone get's that $50 (or whatever baseline credit) automatically. If you use it up then you have to go to IT and ask for more. Additional credit isn't billed to you I think (I've never had to ask for more). The whole Print balance is mostly there so people don't go and abuse the system, like printing out a bunch of books, and using up all the ink & paper, etc. Most people don't use up their printing allowances. Don't worry about it.

because some of my classes transfered yet I'm still considered a freshmen, I called and it was said it would be better to enter in spring so I got that worked out
    If they say it's good then it's good!

yes thats the one! you have to pay even more for that? *sigh* alright then...
    $50 for a 2 semesters of open studio figure drawing is a STEAL. Back home $50 would only get me 5 sessions. If you go to fews every day you would probably get at least 50 sessions. That's $1 per session! The money all goes to pay for models. FEWS is a student run organization, not part of the school - even though it goes way back.

any other clubs to take a look at?
    There is a club and volunteerism fair at the beginning of every year, and usually at the beginning of the spring semester as well. You can check them all out there. Most clubs tend to not be too stable. People just get busy.

hmm, tried calling the financial aid, got answering machine, will try again tomorrow. I'm assuming you can't apply for this before you get there huh?
    I would assume as much. Work study itself is something you qualify for through FAFSA. Only... it doesn't show up in your financial aid offer from Ringling. CalArts listed it as part of my aid package though and I assumed I just didn't qualify for it at Ringling. It wasn't until the end of freshman year when I found out I needed to ask financial aid if I qualified and that I could indeed work on campus through work study. But yeah, you should probably wait until you get here to apply to any of the actual jobs. Most of them are listen online through College Central and you will get access to that website once you get here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the work study was listed on my aid so I know I qualify, just though I need to fill out a paper or something.

I plan to go to fews, every single night, it was part of the reason for choosing ringling (and that its my home state).

the rest of the questions I'll just wait, its the excitement thats getting to me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ha! I know. As soon as you get in you want to know EVERYTHING. (:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @raining walker - no they didnt send me any packages - i got through an e-mail .. they have attached the documents /... and i have only less time to sign it because the deadline is may 15 ... thats the date on which before i should pay my confirmation fee... i have to make everything quick now .....

the future is mine

12. The Following User Says Thank You to maanas.93 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i just want to know how much in average we will be paid after an year of graduation in computer animation if we get into a good studio ... because i know nothing about the salary things in animation... taking loans without knowing the salary might end me up in trouble ... so guys please help me out in this .....

the future is mine

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @maanas: Friend, have you tried the "salary.com"? You may find something over there, cos besides the salaries you earn, you must consider the daily expenses of your work place. I have also found another site which listed the annual salaries of the staffs in Dreamworks, check it here:http://www.jobnob.com/dreamworks-animation-salary. The pays are all really decent! I remember I used to read a forum that one guy said that Dreamworks and Pixar have recruited over 70 students from Ringling so far, though I don't know if it's accurate, if not somebody please correct me! Best of luck! (:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by rainingwalker View Post
    @maanas: Friend, have you tried the "salary.com"? You may find something over there, cos besides the salaries you earn, you must consider the daily expenses of your work place. I have also found another site which listed the annual salaries of the staffs in Dreamworks, check it here:http://www.jobnob.com/dreamworks-animation-salary. The pays are all really decent! I remember I used to read a forum that one guy said that Dreamworks and Pixar have recruited over 70 students from Ringling so far, though I don't know if it's accurate, if not somebody please correct me! Best of luck! (:
    143k for animator??? Holy poop O_O I had no idea they got paid that much @.@ They could be one of the higher ups though. Still, animation sure makes some good monies :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittehpawz View Post
    143k for animator??? Holy poop O_O I had no idea they got paid that much @.@ They could be one of the higher ups though. Still, animation sure makes some good monies :p
    That position sounds really vague. I'm agreeing with you and assuming it's lead animator or something. On the second page though it says entry level animators make 51k - still really good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    last a read, the starting pay in animation or game related design work was about 45k.
    and its not just pay to look at, but other benefits like retirement, medical, ect.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    last a read, the starting pay in animation or game related design work was about 45k.
    and its not just pay to look at, but other benefits like retirement, medical, ect.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's also worth noting that salaries may be different depending on the studio and the location. $40k-50k is closer to what you can expect for an entry-level salary if you live in Los Angeles, for instance. But the cost of living in L.A. is also pretty high.

catsmeow, I don't think anyone answered your questions about reapplying. Having gone through it myself, I can offer a bit of perspective.

1. Yes, it's highly likely, but not a 100% certainty. Remember that you'll be going up against a new crop of applicants.

2. Also likely.

3. No you don't, as long as you reapply while your application is still on file. Let Ringling know now that you intend to reapply in the future. They keep applications on file for a certain length of time, either one or two years, I forget. If they still have all your stuff on file, all you need to do is send them a letter requesting to reactivate your application. You will have the option of submitting a new portfolio (recommended).

4. Unfortunately I know very little about the Illustration Academy so I can't answer this! Hope the rest helps you though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i wont be able to make in .... :'( ... good luck to all of you who are attending ringling .... you all are awesome .... all the best ....

the future is mine

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @maanas: Awww...you serious, friend?? You've been waiting for this opportunity for months... :'( Is it possible for you to reapply it next year??? Anyway you really did a great job, cos I even can't get a bloody spot...even if I do, I may also not be able to afford the costs...

Keep going, maanas! Good luck to your future undertakings!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @maanas: Are you thinking of reapplying in the future? Cost is crazy expensive, I know. It's disheartening because many great applicants aren't going because they can't afford to. Definitely agree with rainingwalker - you did a great job and you should be proud. Your sketchbook shows much improvement since it started!

Best wishes maanas! Good luck in your future endeavors, and thank you for being so supportive!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @maanas Aww really?? D: That really sucks... Well least you can say you got in! Maybe you could try out Animation Mentor with me?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and one last question to the seniors .... how much can we save if we work on campus and stay off campus? ..... is there any other on campus jobs except R.A ?

the future is mine

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    has been informed that no more spot will be opened to the applicants on the wait-list, I can't believe the last available space has been occupied RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, however I was not surprised about it after I recalled dear @Kittehpawz 's previous post: I really should have delete all the CG stuffs and then "taking off" every model's clothes..hehe~ :]

Amy also told me that Game Art and Design and Motion Design are willing to accept me, so I'm wondering since GAD and CA are in the same department, is it easy to switch to computer animation after one year? (cos GAD is not exactly what I like to do in the future )

I also want to know if the GAD students must take quite some programming courses; if the senior project in GAD is a game with full functions. I SERIOUSLY HATE PROGRAMMING ( My skin is allergic to codes...and my Java tutor!)

Anyone can help me on these questions? Thank you so much! I shall also special thank quite some people here, I feel very lucky to meet all of you~ Best!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @rainingwalker: Not sure about whether switching is easy, but the programming, I believe, is light. Looking at the curriculum on their site there's only the "Programming for Artists" course. I hate Java as well and still have nightmares about class . . .

Also, videos aren't up on the Ringling site yet, but for those who haven't found this vimeo channel yet:
    http://vimeo.com/channels/ringling2011

It has some senior theses. Mostly CA but on the last page a couple GAD.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Addle View Post
    @rainingwalker: Not sure about whether switching is easy, but the programming, I believe, is light. Looking at the curriculum on their site there's only the "Programming for Artists" course. I hate Java as well and still have nightmares about class . . .

Also, videos aren't up on the Ringling site yet, but for those who haven't found this vimeo channel yet:
    http://vimeo.com/channels/ringling2011

It has some senior theses. Mostly CA but on the last page a couple GAD.

Addle, I've decided to give up the xxxx's animation program and join Game Art and Design of Ringling College! Oh, previously I thought GAD is all about creating games, but after two days of investigation, I found it's quite similar with CA, but what GAD emphasize is producing 3D environments instead of characters and narrative storyline. I've also seen some GAD senior theses on Youtube and vimeo, they are all FABULOUS!! I was told generally CA and GAD have classes with the same group of faculty(not necessarily at the same time). Meanwhile, some GAD students told me if this program is not really what I want, I do have an option to switch to CA after the freshman year, I hope by then I could prove myself to the faculty that I am ready for joining CA. (: Ether way, I am learning PURE computer arts~ Hope to meet you on the campus! ;D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @rainingwalker Hello classmate!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @twerbb: Hello~ fellow GADer! “闻名不如见面” haha!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @rainingwalker what is wen ming? lol sorry

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @twerbb: hehe, "闻名不如见面"=To know a man by repute is not as good as meeting her face to face. so "闻名" means knowing someone's name or repute. Since ypu're from Singapore. do you speak mandarin? I've never been to Singapore, but I used to attend University in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @rainingwalker hahaha. dont count on my chinese. we study simplified chinese and i use to flunk it all the time! really bad it. haha. wow seems like you have studied everywhere!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @rainingwalker: Congratulations! Hopefully you'll be able to switch to CA later. I agree though. I was really curious about how the senior theses for GAD would turn out with the first graduating class. They're really impressive!

See you guys this fall! :')

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Addle For This Useful Post:

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 12