Page 27 of 56 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    I have never been a film/animation/disney lover. Most of the people who come here are, and with good reason. You should do something that you love. I have, however, ALWAYS loved pictures/images/design. When I was a baby my mom would put picture books in my crib and I would keep looking at them until I fell asleep. I've never known what I've wanted to do, and I still don't really. But I like art, making things, and some good old technical stuff too. I didn't really consider animation until high school. I was getting kind of bored with the regular drawing and photoshop stuff and wanted to see about doing something more - that's why I turned to animation. I figured I would still further my traditional skills and then get to pick up all that other cool stuff too- plus I've always liked the idea of acting but not in real life, through a character instead. Since, I've found that I've gotten less of the traditional background than I would have liked, but it's been pretty good despite that. The challenges, opportunities, and marriage of the visual arts that animation offers is pretty sweet.

I chose Ringling over CalArts, but it was a really hard decision. Given the choice again it would still probably be just as difficult. Truth be told, Ringling was my backup school, I had my heart set on Calarts. The student work just spoke to me more. On average it was and still is stronger visually than Ringling animation work. To top things off I had visited both campuses. I loved the free feel of calarts and hated the bland office like feeling of ringling's campus (just about everyone else seems to fall in love with it, which I find rather funny). Calarts focused on traditional things, which I liked, and Ringling used computers a lot more, which I wanted skills in for job purposes. Ultimately, the reputation, stronger job prospects, finances, and Cat Hick's (now at Pixar) junior animation reel are what swayed me to Ringling. It's been good. I don't feel cheated by only having 2 semesters of traditional animation too. I feel that my understanding of animation has only been furthered by using the computer and facing the unique advantages and challenges it presents and that I would be able to apply that to even better traditional work with that under my belt.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lizzybeth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
    You learn both at Calarts too. You can take classes in computer animation, but the program focuses on traditional animation. At Ringling, you take Traditional Animation I & II in the first and second year, so you're still learning it, but just the basics. So when deciding between the schools, you need to decide on whether you'd like to focus on the traditional or the computer-generated aspects of it.

http://www.ringling.edu/CA-Curriculum.180.0.html
    http://filmvideo.calarts.edu/program...cter-animation
    This is very true and completely went over my head. You do have the choice to learn computer animation or not at Calarts.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Now, I feel kinda mad that I didn't take the time to apply to Calarts. I read that they do accept late applications and whatnot, but I don't know if they're really strict about it. Oh well.

Thanks
    Hi guys! I got something from ringling today and I wonder what it is. I don't know yet because its not in my mail yet, but I have allready gotten the calendar.

Its says its "college acceptance pack" but really? O_O

Thanks
    so i got accepted in penn state altoona for two years to get my associates in letters, arts, and sciences, then i plan on applying to ringling for illustration. i just hope these two years will help me with my portfolio and at least get my butt in gear. But best of luck for everyone! hopefully i'll see you guys in 2 or 3 years (:

Thanks
    @ pandadeux

Ohhh I love hearing about these kinds things! One of the best things about Ringling was I was able to talk to my CA friends about animation AND THEY WOULD ACTUALLY LISTEN! Bwah whenever I talk to my friend Jane (CA major there) I always somehow end up turning the conversation into SOMETHING related to animation xD I love how like EVERYTHING is applicable to animation. Every aspect of life, from psychology, sciences, math/physics, theater, film, computers, AND art, there's just so much that goes into animation. It is more than just making things move, it's about creating LIFE and that means every single aspect of life goes into it. I'm one of those types of people who love to learn a little bit of everything. I love to try new things, and animation just has that and more.

I am also a very emotional person. I love, like most girls, movies with a lot of emotion, not drama but real genuine feeling, things we can RELATE to, and understand. Characters that reflect ourselves and our struggles. Bwahhh so beautifulll. Oh gosh I need to stop and get ready for school. Please don't mind me and my ranting haha I love animation xD

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aresa View Post
    This is very true and completely went over my head. You do have the choice to learn computer animation or not at Calarts.
    Yeah, but Ringling is the best in computer animation, so if you went to Calarts, you'd want to focus on something other than computer animation (that doesn't mean you can't try and learn it there, though).

Thanks
    Yeah, but Ringling is the best in computer animation, so if you went to Calarts, you'd want to focus on something other than computer animation (that doesn't mean you can't try and learn it there, though).
    Yeah, that's what I meant. You have the choice to learn computer animation at Calarts, but its main focus is traditional animation. Right?

Thanks
    I was going to apply at CalArts, but didn't because their computer animation didn't look very strong. I read that jobs are highering people that know both over traditional because they have no reason to spend money on and train people that already know it.
    2011 Ringling Hopeful! ^_^
    ~Most Current Art/life blog
    ~My CA Sketchbook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itraenk View Post
    I was going to apply at CalArts, but didn't because their computer animation didn't look very strong. I read that jobs are highering people that know both over traditional because they have no reason to spend money on and train people that already know it.
    Yeah, sadly it's incredibly difficult for those who learned how to animate traditionally to get a really good job nowadays \:. A lot of the kids out of Calarts leave with that problem and then this huge amount of debt and no way to pay it back. Those jobs are just super limited and it's not like Disney can keep hiring all the kids who come out of that school. Personally I like traditional animation better than computer animation (most of the time), but if I want a job in animation, I have to go for what's in right now and that's the CG stuff \: But it's alright {: Movies like 'How to Train Your Dragon' and such remind me that CG can be beyond incredible too.

Thanks
    A lot of the kids out of Calarts leave with that problem and then this huge amount of debt and no way to pay it back. Those jobs are just super limited and it's not like Disney can keep hiring all the kids who come out of that school.
    This is exactly my thinking. It is kind of scary when you think about the career of an artist. it's such a big gamble.

Also, to correct myself, I meant that jobs don't need to train employees who already know both 2d and 3d. why hire a 2d artist and have to train them when there are others that know both available.
    2011 Ringling Hopeful! ^_^
    ~Most Current Art/life blog
    ~My CA Sketchbook

Thanks
    That was a big reason why I didn't apply either, Itraenk.

Anyways, I'm loving the stories, guys! They are very inspiring and awesome to know we all share the same kind of goals.

starboy- What major did you apply for? I'm not sure, but definitely open it when it arrives!

aerrrymonster
    - Congrats on getting accepted! Good luck with you as well!
    Last edited by Aresa; February 3rd, 2011 at 12:44 PM.

Thanks
    thanks !

i'll be stopping back from time to time to see how you guys are doing with getting in

Thanks
    Same. I'm into traditional animation as well, but there isn't much of a demand for it.

aerrymonster: Congratulations on getting accepted! Good luck with your goals!

Thanks
    I wish i could go to Ringling....just can't afford it even with loans.

Thanks
    How 'bout one of you traditional animation folk open the equivalent of a western Studio Ghibli? (who will be the next Hayao Miyazaki? tsk tsk...).
    https://www.artstation.com/artist/robertshirley

Looking for professional work (both freelance and full time opportunities)!

Inquiries: Robertshirleyart@gmail.com

Page 27 of 56 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast