Ringling College of Art and Design 2011 hopefuls - Page 21

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your post is great Kittehpawz!! I wish you could have written it before application... great info to have.

Unfortunately, I overdosed on difficult classes my senior year, and only made 1 portfolio piece during the school-year. I think it's really important that one try to start at least a year ahead, and if there's any feeling of laziness, get in some sort of studio class if possible.

I was lucky to have a lot of backup pieces from years before... but I wish I hadn't had to use such old work, it was risky! I think I am kind of the example of what you shouldn't do when applying. I didn't write my CommonApp essay about art (I accidentally submitted the same essay to all unis)... and I didn't have any gesture drawings either

Again, kudos Kittehpawz for writing all that and for leaving your portfolio samples.. you've made amazing progress!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still nothing!
    For people who have gotten their package, how large is it?
    Do you not get a package if you're rejected? Just a letter?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a slip. Not really big I don't think. It's folder size. One of my friends from school got accepted to graphic design there. And no, you don't get a package -> just a letter (but letter can be rejection or waitlist). I wanted the bracelet-junk drive thing with the videos so badly, lol. It was so cool!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally got something from Ringling and....

Accepted to Ringling, rejected from the CA major.

Ah well. I kinda knew I wasn't going to make it. I just know for a fact that I am pumped and ready to challenge myself. I think I'm gonna take the community college route and raise my gpa up and build a stronger portfolio!

In the words of Arnold Schwarzenegger, I'LL BE BACK!

Good luck to those who are still waiting and congratulations to those who've been accepted!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just got accepted into GAD!!! Where are all the GAD people at? I feel left out. I'll post my portfolio for you guys to see in a bit.

A couple questions:

1. Did anyone get anything regarding Scholarships and Financial Aid in their packages? I know they don't give out many merit awards...but how does their financial aid system work? I've done my FAFSA so are we going to receive a seperate letter regarding financial aid stuff?

2. Does anybody know how selective Ringling's GAD program is? I've heard it's harder to get into than CA. According to Collegedata.com, as a school, Ringling's acceptance rate last year was 73% (out of 1147), but I know the numbers for CA and GAD are wayyyy lower.

So far I've been accepted into SVA (CA), Laguna (GAD), Rinlging (GAD) and I'm still waiting on Cal Arts (CA) , USC (CA), Pratt (Digital Arts), Digipen (GAD), and my two "just to see if I can get in" schools UCLA (Design Media) and RISD (Animation).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Aresa: Seriously? I thought you'd get in! ):

You better be back here next year! I look forward to your sketchbook updates! >:'D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @waazup - Congrats! c8 A couple GAD people have posted before, but they just haven't been as active haha. I wanna see your portfolio!

To answer your questions:
    1. I'm pretty sure your FAFSA info comes in a separate package/letter later this month
    2. The percentage for people accepted to CA is under 10%. They accept around 100 people into the CA department, 65 in CA and 35 in GAD. During the portfolio review the CA staff sits down and reviews all portfolios for CA's and GAD's at the same time and judges them all together based on the same criteria. So even though it's just as hard to get into one as the other, since there are only 35 open spaces in GAD as opposed to 65 in CA, it is harder to get into GAD. So again, congrats for getting in!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Aresa: sigh... I am sorry that it doesn't work out this time, but you are a young "terminator", which you have a lot of time and opportunities. People at my age could still dream to join Ringling, so you can be "back" many times. The acceptance rate of Ringling's CA program is approximately only 14% each year, and they scout the talents WORLDWIDE, so they have to make a lot of hard choices, picking the "best of the best" portfolios from tons of best portfolios. "One step back today is for two steps forward tomorrow." I believe you will become much more competitive when you come back~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Addle: I guess it didn't work out for me. Even though I was expecting it, I'm still kinda sad. I really hope you clear the waitlist, so you can get a chance to go! Same to you, rainingwalker!

rainingwalker: Haha, yeah. I'm still young, so this might be a good thing. Thank you for the encouragement and good luck with you as well.

waazup: Congrats on getting into GAD!!

Yeah, I can't help but feel a bit sad that I didn't make it, but I won't give up. I'll try my best next year.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Aresa: Gaaaahhhh, I'm sorry. Yes, don't give up! Next year will fly by and you'll improve so much.
    I think if I don't end up at UArts or SCAD I'll stay home for one more year and go to community college too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i still haven't heard anything from Ringling!! ): this is getting me depressed. I thinkk I really screwed myself up. Not enough figures and I didn't get to put my gestures in. :C aaah. anyway. possibly just going to community college and hone down some major skillage. money is really tight and even if my parents don't say it, I know they're crunching numbers. My parents also want to go back to school and everything. scholarships are hard to get by, money is a problem. aaah. D: Good luck to everyone! If I do get in, I don't think I'll be able to handle it all things considered. 40k-50k a year is far too much right now. perhaps this is just me speaking as a disheartened gal but I think I'll take my time and figure out what path to take before diving into a potential financial problem.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everybody. Here's my accepted GAD portfolio give or take. This is the batch of drawings I selected my final 25 pieces from.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53679199@N03/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Praemium: Aw thanks xD;; Having figure drawing like 2-3 times a week at Ringling was probably the thing that helped me the most (There's a figure drawing club there for like 2 hours 4 days a week But hey you still got in so it's all good! :p

@Aresa: )))): Aww well you'll get in next year I'm sure! You definitely have the potential!! I really love your cartoon sketches, they have so much life in them! Just translate that over to your figure stuff and you're a shoe-in. ;D

@roiducirque Awwe )): Money does really suck...but hey if you come back with an even better portfolio, that'll just increase your chances for scholarships!

Also a little tidbit of info, Ringling does give out more than just the presidential scholarships, well not them technically, but people donate money to Ringling to give to the students so there's actually a decent chance for for scholarships, more so for CA and GAD. Last year Dreamworks gave out 10k per year scholarships to 8 students. Like 8 for CA and one was Ill and the other BOAD. I'm reallllyyyy REALLY hoping this happens again this year! D:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @waazup Oooh~! I love your figure drawings! Your gestures are also very impressive too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello waazup! I applied to GAD but no letter yet

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dont be sad Aresa! You can always make a come back with a kick ass portfolio!
    You have huge potential honestly.

Same boat as katiegeewhiz and roiducirque, I know how you guys feel. it sucks. its a friday morning for me now, i think no mail today again. hahah.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Waazup, you have a beautiful portfolio Your figure drawings are really nice and I love how much variation there is in your media and your methods of experimentation. Awesome job!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    katiegeewhiz: I won't give up. I really hope next year will fly by. Right now, I'm just ready to graduate out of high school, haha!

Kittehpawz: Thank you so much for the encouragement! When I do figure drawings, I try to copy the model exactly...I think that was probably my downfall. I hope I can get better at it.

twerbb: Thank you so much! That means a lot!

waazup: Amazing portfolio! I just love the fluidity of your figure drawings. Congrats again!

I hope you guys, who are still waiting, find out soon! I wish you all the best of luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    waazup, i think people have said it already, really really gorgeous figure drawings!!I really like your line qualities and styles esp in your ink ones!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, I got accepted to Uarts and they gave me grant too. haha. nothing from Ringling yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh wow, Waazup your figures are gorgeous! I really love these:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53679199@N03/5516423576/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/53679199@N03/5219962182/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/53679199@N03/5219961186/

You have such a good eye for drawing and interpreting the model's figure. It's really gorgeous. They look so mature jshfakj How old are you? And have you been professionally trained/taken a bunch of art classes or are you self-taught?

Congrats on getting in! I hope to see you in the fall (:

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Stefanie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys, does anyone know how much a Ringling student's annual living expense is?? (excluding all the fees payed to Ringling, an estimated average figure will do!) Thank you! (/^_^)/ \($_$\)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ twerrb: Congrats on getting accepted to UArts and the grant! I just got a letter from them in the mail saying they raised tuition! Boo! D':<

@ wazzup: That's one impressive portfolio! I know it's been said a million times, but I love your figures! Congratulations!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Same as Aresa over here too.

Ah, C'est la vie.

Well, there is always plan B.
    You guys were great, thanks for the help.
    Maybe see you on the 2012 hopefuls next year.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really appreciate all the comments. Thank you guys, i'm flattered.

@stefanie I'm 18, currently a high school senior. I've been taking private art lessons since I was 12 or so and I've taken a few professional figure drawing classes over the past two years as well.

Oh and I just got my Cal Arts Character Animation acceptance letter today! Did any of you Ringling CA hopefuls apply there?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh wow well those private lessons and figure classes really helped you then! Any of the art schools you applied to would be lucky to have you. Ringling's the best of them, though ;D ;D

And CONGRATS ON GETTING INTO CALARTS! That's really impressive! Not many people get into CA the first time they apply there.

Rainingwalker, it's always better to have more than you think you'll need, because if you get there and run out during the school year, you'll be in trouble. You need to consider the cost of transportation, groceries, art supplies (don't buy the starter kit thing 'with everything you need' that they're trying to sell for a grand because it's a ripoff, you can find everything cheaper at Art & Frame. You'll also have to buy a ton of charcoal (expensive ff), paints, sketchpads, etc and it all adds up), anything you want for your dorm (like a waste bin, microwave, fridge, glasses, silverware, bathroom supplies, decorations like posters, bed-sets, etc!!!), and quarters for the laundry machine. WHEW! But if you use that money sparingly and use coupons whenever you can and when you go on shopping trips, to try and buy the brands that are on sale, I can imagine you'd have leftover money for the next year (:

And good luck to everyone reapplying! I'm rooting for you all!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Stefanie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    katiegeewhiz: Awww, man! I'm really sorry you didn't make it either... What's your plan B? I wish you much luck in your future endeavors!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I havent receive any letter from Ringling soo... probably end up like you guys. but thats alright with me.

Dont worry for those who did not make it! Bad things happen for good things to come! I always tell myself that.

ne t'en fais pas, sois heureux. That means dont worry be happy! D

@Katiegeewhiz: you going to Uarts? if you are, probably see you there. haha.

@addle: thanks! I'm sure you have no problem getting in with a grant. I wasn't expecting any money from them. How is the school like?

Last edited by twerbb; March 11th, 2011 at 08:27 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    katiegeewhiz: That sucks! ): Next year for sure though! You can do it!

twerrb: I have a scholarship there. I'm just kind of weighing my options right now while trying to save money. My father's against me going to community college so . . . ekk. You can ask katie about UArts. I won't be seeing it until I visit in few weeks.

Don't assume until it comes in the mail! You never know!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats awesome! hahaha. what course did you apply there? Is it a good school?
    yea my dad also warned me against community college.

Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 9