Page 21 of 64 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Ringling College of Art and Design 2011 hopefuls

Thanks
    anyone in facebook ??
    the future is mine

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    @lizzybeth

-That is unless you want to advance yourself in an area not covered by the course material/beyond the course material or are not utilizing your teachers (ie, not asking them for the appropriate feedback, which they are more than happy to give, trust me, and they give very good feedback).
    I agree with that. I've done two years of graphic design at my local college and it is similar in that there is lecture for the first part and they give us a general direction to go in, but after that it is up to us. In the end there is a class critique, but one could work up until the due date without asking the professor for an opinion. which if that is the case the student usually does a bad job. The professor is there for guidance and quick questions, but for anything extra or special we usually turn to outside resources. That's been my experience. Would you say this is similar with ringling?

Also, I was going to apply to Calarts, but I just found out that they DON'T have 3d animation at all?? Why do I read so much about them if gusty don't even have the program? I know they have traditional animation, but it seems silly to spend all that money and time on school when you aren't even learning what you want. Do people go there and learn traditional and then learn 3d on their own?
    2011 Ringling Hopeful! ^_^
    ~Most Current Art/life blog
    ~My CA Sketchbook

Thanks
    cal arts porgamme is "CHARACTER ANIMATION" its not "COMPUTER ANIMATION" .. the point is that whether you paint on the canvas or in photoshop it is same . but the tougher is doing in tradition that is on canvas . if you can do this then you can do it on any softwares wherther it is photoshop or corel painter . its just tools which you should learn .
    cal arts focuses mainly in animation .. so they teach you 2d which is harder and the best way to learn animation principles .... if you can do this perfectly then you can learn tools and animate in 3d ... you can learn these while you intern at studios . " if you learn animation in 2d at the core 3d is just a tool nothing else " ..
    i am sorry if i have said anything wrong .. please do correct me if i am wrong !!
    the future is mine

Thanks
    Hi everyone! I'm another fall 2011 hopeful applying for illustration. I'm planning to transfer to Ringling after I get my AAS in the spring. I have a few questions about Ringling and I thought I would get more honest answers from here than the admissions, so here I go....

1. How is class scheduling at Ringling? Is it flexible, like can I make my own schedule? One of the reasons why I'm transferring out of my current college is that I'm only allowed to choose one of the already made schedules (called block schedules). It's just very inconvenient for me and makes it hard for me to catch up with classes, so this is very important.

2. Can I work in the studio alone, or pull an all-nighter in the studio? This is also very important because my current college doesn't allow a student to work by him/herself in the studio (you need a fellow student to work with in the same studio) and they only allow students to stay until 2 AM. (another reason why I'm getting outta here!) I wanna go to a school where I can work as long as I want especially during midterm/fianls. I understand that studios need to be cleaned before classes so maybe until 6 AM or something....

3. I already read a few posts about minors at Ringling that most people minor in either Photography & Digital Imaging or Fine Arts. But how about Business of Art & Design? I wanna go for editorial illustration and advertising field but also freelance, and I think minoring in business might help me marketing my work? Is it worth it?

4. I checked out the offered studio electives and I see that some electives need instructor's approval. I was planning to take some GIC related electives (web design, typography) because I want to have a graphic design background as well... Is it hard to get approvals to take classes from other majors?

5. I don't wanna sound stupid but just to be clear, GC, GIC, GAD... they all mean Graphic & Interactive Communication, right? -_-;

6. This question is not about Ringling but it's for those who are in/applying for illustration major. Do you think that being an illustrator is a limited job, like you don't get the freedom to create what YOU want to create because you're creating it for someone else like companies and what not? I'm asking this because I'm currently a fine arts major and when I told my colleagues that I'm changing my major to illustration because I wanna create what I want to create, they were being really judgmental and told me you don't get to do that in illustration. (the fine arts and illustration majors at my school don't get along very well...) Sure, when you get commissioned by your clients, you gotta create what THEY want, but they hire you based on your portfolio, which is YOUR ideas. I also know that there are many illustrators that create what they want and freelance/market their works. So what do you think about this?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itraenk View Post
    I agree with that. I've done two years of graphic design at my local college and it is similar in that there is lecture for the first part and they give us a general direction to go in, but after that it is up to us. In the end there is a class critique, but one could work up until the due date without asking the professor for an opinion. which if that is the case the student usually does a bad job. The professor is there for guidance and quick questions, but for anything extra or special we usually turn to outside resources. That's been my experience. Would you say this is similar with ringling?
    Yes this is generally the case. The nice thing about the "general direction" kind of a thing is that it allows you to try out things or take them in a different direction than others usually do, so long as you are satisfying the parameters of the assignment. There is a little more instructor involvement here though. They usually do "rounds" once a week where they'll come around and check in with everybody to see how they're doing, answer questions, offer critique, and anything else student specific. It's only for 10 minutes though. The classes are small (I think our junior CA classes were at 11-13 per class this last semester) but to get to everyone in the class they have to budget their time and will even use a stopwatch to make sure they get to everybody in that class. So you'll communicate with the instructor several times before it's due. Staying on track, having your work ready, knowing what you want, and having questions ready will help you get the most from your instructor in those ten minutes. They are usually available outside of class too, largely through email, although sometimes there are times where they are really busy grading, going to senior crits, etc where you may not get a reply back promptly, but they're pretty good about it.

Quote Originally Posted by itraenk View Post
    Also, I was going to apply to Calarts, but I just found out that they DON'T have 3d animation at all?? Why do I read so much about them if gusty don't even have the program? I know they have traditional animation, but it seems silly to spend all that money and time on school when you aren't even learning what you want. Do people go there and learn traditional and then learn 3d on their own?
    yeah, CalArts doesn't really have a 3d program. Some students have made 3d films, but as I understand that stuff was mostly self taught, possibly mentored by a faculty, I'm not entirely sure. Flash has been a pretty popular medium over there lately as well. Within the past few years I think they've been doing some pretty interesting stuff over there with computer animation (...not 3d) and things may be shifting. If you really want to do 3d animation though I would recommend going to ringling. Calarts can't really shake a stick at ringling in that area....

Quote Originally Posted by catsmeow View Post
    1. How is class scheduling at Ringling? Is it flexible, like can I make my own schedule? One of the reasons why I'm transferring out of my current college is that I'm only allowed to choose one of the already made schedules (called block schedules). It's just very inconvenient for me and makes it hard for me to catch up with classes, so this is very important.
    Student's pick their own classes at ringling (except first semester, unless there's empty spaces where you need to pick electives). Some classes are prescheduled. This happens moreso in illustration than elsewhere I think but I don't think it's that much. The rest of the classes you can chose yourself. Of course when registering you have to make sure you hit all your required classes for your major. Class availability can be an issue too at times in regards to electives. Upperclassmen register first so more popular electives fill up fast. Not all classes are offered all the time. Some are only spring or fall.

2. Can I work in the studio alone, or pull an all-nighter in the studio? This is also very important because my current college doesn't allow a student to work by him/herself in the studio (you need a fellow student to work with in the same studio) and they only allow students to stay until 2 AM. (another reason why I'm getting outta here!) I wanna go to a school where I can work as long as I want especially during midterm/fianls. I understand that studios need to be cleaned before classes so maybe until 6 AM or something....
    no. ringling has similar rules for studios. Most are only open until 2am. CA labs are only open until midnight. Printmaking labs 10pm or midnight. Photo labs 2am. There are a few labs that have become 24 hour labs now in the illustration building (open to everybody). 2 are computer labs (one has tablets) and 1 is a classroom studio where a lot of illustrators will work on their traditional assignments. During crunch times these labs can get kind of full and stay full all night so be able to do your stuff on your own if you have to. Sometimes they will make late hours for the other studios (or upperclassmen CAs in those labs), usually around midterms or end of the semester.

3. I already read a few posts about minors at Ringling that most people minor in either Photography & Digital Imaging or Fine Arts. But how about Business of Art & Design? I wanna go for editorial illustration and advertising field but also freelance, and I think minoring in business might help me marketing my work? Is it worth it?
    I know of a few people doing the business minor but I don't really know much about it and I haven't heard anything bad for sure. It's actually a rather popular minor too.

4. I checked out the offered studio electives and I see that some electives need instructor's approval. I was planning to take some GIC related electives (web design, typography) because I want to have a graphic design background as well... Is it hard to get approvals to take classes from other majors?
    The ones that need instructor approval are the ones that require prerequisites. There's no for sure whether or not you can get in to those sorts of classes. Most people, it seems, don't have much trouble getting instructor approval to get into classes but they're usually getting into open electives or liberal arts or know the teacher. It may happen but don't bank on it. Illustration does also take intro to GIC and they might do some web stuff in their portfolio class.

5. I don't wanna sound stupid but just to be clear, GC, GIC, GAD... they all mean Graphic & Interactive Communication, right? -_-;
    no. Good thing you asked. GIC is graphic and interactive communication. GAD is game art and design. I'm not sure what GC is.... that might be some liberal arts prefix because there's not major abbreviated GC.

6. This question is not about Ringling but it's for those who are in/applying for illustration major. Do you think that being an illustrator is a limited job, like you don't get the freedom to create what YOU want to create because you're creating it for someone else like companies and what not? I'm asking this because I'm currently a fine arts major and when I told my colleagues that I'm changing my major to illustration because I wanna create what I want to create, they were being really judgmental and told me you don't get to do that in illustration. (the fine arts and illustration majors at my school don't get along very well...) Sure, when you get commissioned by your clients, you gotta create what THEY want, but they hire you based on your portfolio, which is YOUR ideas. I also know that there are many illustrators that create what they want and freelance/market their works. So what do you think about this?
    (I'm not an illustration major but I've taken an ill class and have been around ill majors a fair bit) I think your ideas about this are pretty right on. Yes you'll be commissioned to do something specific but it's up to the illustrator to do it in an interesting way. Josh Cochran was the judge for Illest of Ill this past year (a student run illustration show) and gave a great talk. In his work he'd do the illustration, but not in a way you would expect, he might even hide it within the image.

Thanks
    If anyone has a minute could you critique my sketchbook. I'm stressing out a lot lately about whether I'm good enough to get in. . (I'm applying for illustration). sketchbook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbyness View Post
    If anyone has a minute could you critique my sketchbook. I'm stressing out a lot lately about whether I'm good enough to get in. . (I'm applying for illustration). sketchbook
    Don't stress at all, chances are you'll be better than the majority of incoming freshmen. You can get in easily, just make sure your portfolio is in order.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    Don't stress at all, chances are you'll be better than the majority of incoming freshmen. You can get in easily, just make sure your portfolio is in order.
    Thank you. It's hard for me not to stress though

Thanks
    hello~ i'm new to conceptart..i've only lurked a while on this thread.
    I'm a ringling 2011 CA hopeful. :] I found that many of my issues and questions have been frequently answered by reading this thread so I'm thankful.
    Decided to come out to get some feedback on sketchbook?

I still need to get pictures of my other stuff and upload it but yeah. > <
    Thank youuuu

Thanks
    @copperfire - i am still waiting for your post in my sketchbook
    the future is mine

Thanks
    how much does gobelins animation programme costs?
    is there any good college which offeres B.F.A in animation with less tution fees !!! ..
    Last edited by maanas.93; December 28th, 2010 at 06:36 AM.
    the future is mine

Thanks
    @maanas

The cost for Gobelins is 5700 Euro for the first year (5800 for second, 5900 for third). Entry to Gobelins is very exclusive for the entry level animation programme and only 25 students are selected from an annual 300+ I believe. There are very rigorous drawing tests involved. You must also speak fluent French... though this is probably less difficult than the drawing tests required!
    They do have prépas that prepare for Gobelins entry... but unless they're public, they can cost more than Gobelins tuition. I was planning on applying, but feel I don't have much of a chance at the moment. I may apply next year... I hear stories that people will take the test 2 or 3 times before being admitted. I hear you though!! Art universities are expensive! (And if they're not expensive, they're near impossible to be admitted to)

Just submitted my Ringling app... now the wait. Not submitted the portfolio portion... barely two weeks left, but I still feel I can squeeze in another piece or two! (Maybe!)

Thanks
    @praemium!!! - you are right .. i am not worried about the art needed in gobelins .. but the only thing is FRENCH .. and they dont offer B.F.A ...
    so i dont care how hard it is to get .. i will die to get in ... will you please be able to provide me some inexpensive colleges which offers B.F.A in animation!!!!....
    ringling , cal arts , SVA .. all are expensive !!! .. i am applying at ringling .. but i am worried a lot about the cost .
    i am from india.. i love art .and i am poor where they dont give out loans for art educations .and the damn thing is that one should have asset of 200,000 to get a loan of 75,000 .if one has that much of money why should they take loan .... rich get richer , poor get poorer ~~~~
    the future is mine

Page 21 of 64 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast