Ringling College of Art and Design 2011 hopefuls - Page 2

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Awesome Coolbeans. Is that were you are going then? I about to look into comm. colleges near RCAD to possibly enroll in. Some previous posters had transfered from as far as miami..but personally I'd rather be closer. If you meet people near RCAD, they possibly will be there alongside you all 4/5 years...I find that more appealing then settling somewhere for a year or 2 and then having to uproot.

Okay..well stressed out the wazoo. But doing well...I guess I excel under pressure. For any being lazy out there....just reading and not posting...here's your chance. We are all ears =)

Cheerio...

"If you want something. Go get it. Period."

Sketchbook : http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=151856&page=4
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hey guys! I just got back from Ringling Pre-College (which was like a total kick in the rear end to get me moving), and I'm so excited to see this thread. I'm a 2011 hopeful as well and aiming to get into CA. If I don't make it this coming year I plan on going to CC for awhile and applying again.

Hopefully I'll start a sketchbook by the end of this week! I seriously need to stop pushing that off . . .

Eep! I'm so ecstatic and anxious now that the RCAD 2011 hopefuls thread is up, and I'm making such a fool of myself! xD

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NewGuy22 View Post
    Awesome Coolbeans. Is that were you are going then? I about to look into comm. colleges near RCAD to possibly enroll in. Some previous posters had transfered from as far as miami..but personally I'd rather be closer. If you meet people near RCAD, they possibly will be there alongside you all 4/5 years...I find that more appealing then settling somewhere for a year or 2 and then having to uproot.

Okay..well stressed out the wazoo. But doing well...I guess I excel under pressure. For any being lazy out there....just reading and not posting...here's your chance. We are all ears =)

Cheerio...
    I live in Port Richey which is 2 hours away from Ringling so it's not much of a trek to get there. I do have friends that are doing the same thing I am. Hopfully they can be my roommates next year if everything works out. ahhh, I am so scared that it won't. =\

Thanks
    Very cool guys! Yes please do post a skechbook when you can..and make sure to put entries at least once a week...hopefully daily...and put links to it in your profile signature (that you can do in your profile settings.) We all can grow and hopefully together eh? Everything will work out...just remember you can do anything you want in life...just remember to take a breather once in a while and realize that today is today. So on a side note...don't let some experience pass you by that you could have enjoyed. It is okay to relax once in a while...but you do need to be focused at times in order to get somewhere...especially in this field. (I'm there with you ;P )

Don't worry..im all talk for now..lol. My sb posts hopefully will mirror my rhetorical speeches. ha.

Okay..well off to write on some dry erase board motivating words and quotes to keep me gittered everytime I sit back down at my desk to draw...try it...it works. If you need a few starters...just poke me. I'll chip in.

"Loomis ...bridgman..i hate you." .. (we have a relationship..)

Last edited by NewGuy22; July 25th, 2010 at 03:03 AM. Reason: >< ..cuz i wanna.

Thanks
    Hello everyone, 2011 hopeful again. I registered last year, but never finished my application due to personal reasons. Going for it again for 2011.

I've started my portfolio that I wanna get as strong as possible. 400 sheets of newsprint and 50 sheets of good quality paper ready for figure drawings, still lifes, as well as a sketchbook full of gesture drawings.

I'm in Ohio so it's a big change. Honestly, I was about to accept Full Sails offer <.< but decided not to. Ringling may be more expensive, but I'm getting what I'm paying for.

Last edited by DanialGlover; July 25th, 2010 at 03:29 AM.

Thanks
    Could not more agree with you DanialGlover. Ringling far out does Full Sail. Can't beat ringling student life...im set on it now. =)

figure drawing anyone?

.....(trots off)

Thanks
    i think i'm leaning toward becoming a GAD if i get in. any other wannabe GADs out there?

Thanks
    Hopeful illustration-er here. =/

Thanks

Red face curious about y illustration...

Quote Originally Posted by NewGuy22 View Post
    Hopeful illustration-er here. =/
    hey not to be mean at all, nor ignorant, if anything i'm trying to be the opposite, just i've been wondering; what type of job opportunities are there for illustrators anymore?

i mean, perhaps i have a misconception, but isn't illustration mostly draftsman work? isn't the induction of computer aided art really damaging the need for draftsmen? as i said, not trying to be ignorant, so how is illustration different from fine arts, and what type of guarantee is there for an illustrator, that they won't become the starving artist?

i ask this with all due respect to illustrators out there, especially since i once wanted to be a comic-er myself, but to me illustration seems like a dying field, and i was just wondering, how come people want so adamantly to join that field of expertise if i am at all correct in my understanding.

Thanks
    There is never a shortness for vision. Like you said, I believe also illustrators are the draftsmen. They usually are the idea part of the whole process (if you are specifically talking about games) normally the concept artists. As you can see by checking out ringling's career paths from illustration..they can range very wide and intertwine with other things like design or even animation if s/he is good enough. I'd love to be the person they gets commissioned to make magazine adds/ do concept work/ Fine art if you may. I determined that animating was not for me and the structuralism of graphic design is not as appeal to my nerves. A little more give can be taken in innovation...I did not originally think it was for me either. To be honest. But the more I came realize the kind of things illustrators do : covers, ads, comics, concept, freelance...it sounded better to me then the rest. Lol I can laugh at myself currently when saying I am no where near even half bad..but I am optimistic...I have time..so give me sometime. =P

I would love game design I think just as well..but I have a personal vendetta against it for my own reasons. And would rather stay with my current idea. =)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NewGuy22 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by themegagod View Post
    hey not to be mean at all, nor ignorant, if anything i'm trying to be the opposite, just i've been wondering; what type of job opportunities are there for illustrators anymore?

i mean, perhaps i have a misconception, but isn't illustration mostly draftsman work? isn't the induction of computer aided art really damaging the need for draftsmen? as i said, not trying to be ignorant, so how is illustration different from fine arts, and what type of guarantee is there for an illustrator, that they won't become the starving artist?

i ask this with all due respect to illustrators out there, especially since i once wanted to be a comic-er myself, but to me illustration seems like a dying field, and i was just wondering, how come people want so adamantly to join that field of expertise if i am at all correct in my understanding.
    The computer is a tool, just like a paintbrush is..

There are many opportunities for jobs in illustration. Magazines, book covers, children's books, video games, film, etc.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to yyates05 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    isn't the induction of computer aided art really damaging the need for draftsmen?
    NO.

oh yeah, and no.

Opportunities for illustrators are EVERYWHERE. EVERYTHING needs to be designed. Areas can overlap with advertising, graphic design, film, animation, fine arts, and sculpture, which only attests to the spread of the illustration field. Common areas include editorial illustration, comic book illustration, concept art for films and games, illustrated advertisements, children's book illustration, etc, but it goes even further. Greeting card companies are a big source of illustration jobs. Hallmark and American Greetings come to recruit at Ringling regularly. Not only do illustrators work on cards, they also work on developing those trinkety gift type items, ecards, online interactive material, etc. Toy companies are another big one that's commonly overlooked. I've been to a few presentations by Hasbro. All of those toys are thought up and designed, and illustrators have a heavy hand in the field. The standard work even extends to prototyping and modeling/sculpting with zBrush. Companies like JibJab also employ illustrators and serves as a testimony, that if anything, technology has been creating opportunities for illustrators in recent years.

Everything is made by someone.

Of course, illustration is also a saturated field and there are not guarantees in regards to employment. A lot of work is done through freelance as well. Employment can be tough, but that is not due to a decrease in opportunities as much as it is the always competitive nature of the industry.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizzybeth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hey, i just made a sketchbook of some my old things. i need to get around to putting my new things to it, but for now the newest thing is around one year old. at least i'm showing where i "started off".

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

Thanks
    Hello!

I'm a Computer Animation hopeful, and I'm so nervous about applying. I've never put together a portfolio nor have even drawn pieces for one so I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed to be quite honest. No idea where or what to start on :/, but I'm going top push through, definitely! I don't want to be like last year where I was lurking the 2010 thread, wishing I was apart of it all.

I'm looking forward to going on this journey with other members !

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Erd View Post
    Hello!

... I'm so nervous about applying. ...I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed to be quite honest. No idea where or what to start on :/,

I'm looking forward to going on this journey with other members !
    you're not the only one!

glad to be on on this journey with you. good luck fellow hopeful!

Thanks
    Does anybody know how good the academics are? I like learning a lot...

Thanks
    Well I'm happy. My application fee was waived since I paid for it last year but didn't send it in. As soon as commonapp allows fall registration for 2011, I'll sign up and get my teachers to do the same. My portfolio is well underway, I want to send it to them personally, cd with a sketchbook, so my gesture sketchbook is gonna be a wide variety of medium; graphite, charcoal, pen, ink wash, marker, and watercolor.

If any ringling 2011 hopefuls want to add me on msn so we can talk, please do! DanialGlover@hotmail.com

Question for students already at the school, how's the food? Is there anything remotely healthy?

Last edited by DanialGlover; July 29th, 2010 at 08:21 AM.

Thanks
    Academics don't seem to be that impressive, although I think it just mostly depends on the teacher. Quite frankly though it's a good thing that the liberal arts classes tend to be easy because you really wont have the time to put into them since you'll need it for your projects. I haven't actually taken any academic classes at Ringling though, so I can't really say.

Food at the school is ok, not that impressive either. Cafeteria's pretty decent usually, and always has a salad bar. There's outtakes, but they sell mostly on the go snack kind of stuff, and there's also the cafe, which I've only been to a couple times this year, but it's pretty good - they make sandwiches and sell hummus and stuff. If you want to eat healthy you'll be able to eat healthy, and if you want to eat bad you'll be able to do that to - there's a fair amount to choose from. If that doesn't cut it for you, however, there is a whole foods down town and the farmer's market every sunday down there as well. The city bus goes straght there.

Thanks
    i don't know much about the big college experience, so this may be a bit simple, but how does life on the actual school grounds work?
    i've only gone to a community college, so when i hear people talk of meal plans, i have no idea what i'm hearing. i would assume this is basically so that students don't have to worry about buying their own food? is this only for on campus life? i may try to live off campus, not sure, but do off campus students still have the ability to use a meal plan? can a student still cook for themselves, like, is there a kitchen in the dorm? is there even time to cook for ones self, or are the programs that rigorous that it is ill-advised?
    wouldn't cooking your own food be the healthiest and cheapest choice?

Thanks
    Every year there's tons of questions about meal plans and what the food options are at Ringling, so here's one giant answer to all that stuff!

*My advice on meal plans may not be accurate for this year. The addition of the cafe and cash equivalence has occurred just this past year. Other changes may occur for freshmen starting in fall 2010 and fall 2011.

Right now this is how it works.

You live on campus or off campus.

-if you live off campus you are responsible for finding a place to live, food, and transportation to and from school. You do not pay the school for room and board (a savings of nearly $10,000 - whatever it costs you to sleep, eat, travel). You can still purchase meal plans if you really want to so you don't have to buy your own food/cook.
    -if you live on campus your dorm/campus housing will either have a kitchen or it will not have a kitchen. (Most freshmen are housed in places that do not have kitchens). If you do not have a kitchen you will have to purchase a meal plan from the school. If your campus living space has a kitchen then the meal plan is optional, just as if you lived off campus.

The meal plan(s)

The only plans that I am aware of are the full and the partial, there may be other inbetween. If you are accepted to the school you will be sent information about meal plan options from the school.

Full Meal Plan
    Breakfast lunch and dinner Monday through Friday and brunch and dinner Saturday and Sunday. That's 19 meals a week. This is the meal plan that most people get.

Partial Meal Plan
    I believe this one is 9 or 7 meals a week however you want to take them, but I may be mistaken as I had the full plan my freshmen year instead of this. Most people without a kitchen are required to get the full meal plan, the only exception to this that I know of are people who live in the Cove. They have the option of the partial plan because the dorms come with mini-fridges and microwaves(?). It is also the furthest out campus housing, except possibly the houses, and many people didn't like to go the distance just to eat especially when they already had a sort of half kitchen on their end so this plan was mainly developed for them. This plan also appears to be fairly poplular with upperclassmen who do not have the time to fix dinner, do not want to fix dinner, or want to eat with their friends at the cafeteria.

Prices for plans probably shift annually but the full meal plan is somewhere in the 4k-5k range.

How the meal plan works/Places to eat on campus.
    There are 3 options as to where you can eat while on a meal plan.
    The Cafeteria: This is where most people eat. It is open for every meal. A lot of people also complain about it, but it's really not that bad. We like it during portfolio day and accepted students day because they'll usually make better food those days :). It can get a little old eating there day after day though and I think that's why most people end up complaining about it. It can get crowded at certain times and during dinner, especially with the increase in freshmen enrollment. There's usually a fair amount of options. Breakfast: 4 choices of popular cereals (cereal is available all day so you can get it for desert even), cut fruit (usually grapes, cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon, and the like), fresh fruit like apples, oranges, and bananas are usually available now through lunch, cottage cheese, etc. There's also the staple cafeteria breakfast food like scrambled eggs, tater tots, pancakes, etc. Usually there will be someone there to make custom omlettes/eggs with your choice of meat/veggies (by far the best thing about breakfast). Lunch: Varies, usually two soups (sometimes weird or leftover soups), salad bar, a couple choices from the hot bar/fried stuff like french fries, fresh fruit, occasionally pizza, usually custom made sandwiches available (lines can get long though). Dinner: Hot bar items, fried stuff like french fries/onion rings, salad bar, a couple times a week someone will be making an additional item special which is usually pretty good, 1-3 desert options are usually available along with soft serve ice cream. Brunch is a hybrid of breakfast and brunch (obviously), and in my opinion the best time to eat there. All through the day the cereal, bread, PB & J usually, milk, chocolate milk, juice(s), fountain drinks, water, hot water (lipton tea and occasionally hot chocolate packets available) can be found.
    Breakfast is 7:30-9:00, lunch/brunch is 11:00-1:00, dinner is 5:00-7:00. The cafeteria is basically all you can eat.
    The Cafe: This is the one I know the least about since it just opened this past year. They have starbucks stuff there, fresh sandwiches like paninis, probably salads, sometimes pizza, and some quicker stuff like preportioned hummus, etc, along with fountain and bottled beverages. Open for lunch and dinner most of the time, might be closed on the weekends, not positive. Prices aren't to cheap, but if you're on a meal plan it doesn't matter!
    Outakes: Basically a convenience store on campus. They sell a few stapes of campus life like batteries, soap, etc, along with snack foods, chips, candy, bottled drinks (they've got a pretty good selection of juice), sometimes soup from the cafeteria, muffins, bagels, cookies, premade sandwiches, starbucks coffee & tea, etc. Pretty analogous to the stuff you would find in a 7-11, only with half the selection and half a starbucks tacked on. Open from 8am-11pm Monday-Friday and 5pm-11pm Saturday and Sunday.
    The campus book store also sells snack sort of items up by the register and there are a few vending machines scattered about campus. (The ones in CJ are really awesome when you're doing an late/all nigher in one of the 24-hour labs)

Also since last year the school started a cash equivalency sort of program for those on meal plans. I'm not 100% up on how this works either since I was never on it but basically instead of eating at the cafeteria you can eat at the cafe or grab some stuff at outakes (but what you can get at the cafe and at outakes is limited and it is only equivalent during certain hours). This was just the first year that they had it in place so they're likely still adjusting specifics so some of this may change. As far as I know there's no sort of "flex" dollars like some other schools have.

Places to eat off campus
    If you're not on a meal plan chances are you'll find yourself going to one of these places at some point in the year.

These places are super close, just a 2-5 minute walk from the student center.
    Burger King: It's burger king. It's also the closest food place to campus and is right next to the book store.
    Big E's: Really good and really cheap. Some people don't like because it's not the nicest place in town, but I found myself frequenting a lot this year since I don't cook much and it was so cheap. They've got baked goods, coffees, teas, shakes, etc, bottled/caned juices, sodas, teas, and some stuff you wont find on campus, cigarettes even, and they make a variety of sandwiches and other some foods. Basically they'll make anything to order. You can get them to put a candy bar in your shake or a sandwich with mushrooms and pesto, basically whatever so long as they've got the ingredients. Prices are great too, the drinks are cheaper than starbucks, sandwiches fall in the 2-4$ range, etc. It's super close to campus too, it's just right across the street from Burger King.
    Chips: It's a little mexican restaurant that does "California Style" mexican, whatever that means. They're new around here and moved in to where the domino's pizza used to be. They're pretty good too, but they're not that cheap. I think a taco is 2$, fish taco 2.50 or 3.50, and other stuff up in the 4-8$ range. Pretty nice to go to when you want some mexican food though and it's super close, it's right next to Big E's.

Walk a little bit up or down Tamiami Trail and you'll find...
    That Chinese Place down the road: I honestly can't remember the name of it, probably something generic. It's between Ringling and Publix and actually take a few minutes to walk down to (probably about a 10 minute or so walk campus). They've got chinese take-out there and they're pretty good too. Not so close to campus, but not that far to walk, especially if you want chinese.
    Subway: About as far down as the chinese take out place and across the street is a subway. I'm pretty sure everyone knows about subway. It's probably a 10-15 min walk, most people just drive there.
    Hungry Howies: Probably a 10 minute or so walk north is a Hungry Howies. It's one of those smaller pizza chains, but a pretty good one known for their flavored crusts. You can walk there but you'll probably just want to drive or get delivery.
    There's a few chinese places in the area that will deliver to campus too (and possssibly a Jimmy Johns).

Places to buy food/groceries
    Win-Dixie: The only grocery store within a practical walking distance to campus is Win-Dixie. It's a southern based chain of grocery stores it's toward the shadier half of town though and they wont even let you bring a backpack in to the store (they'll make you leave it at the front counter, no one at publix ever stopped me) because they probably get problems with shoplifters. It is pretty close though, you can walk there in 10 minutes or less. By the way, there's a Suntrust bank and a BB&T bank on the way and a Walgreens and CVS (drugstores) at the same intersection as the Win-Dixie. I recently heard that Win-Dixie hasn't been doing so well and will be closing stores in the future, not sure if this one will make it through the cut, so it might not be around in future years. Edit: Will Be Closing.
    Publix: Another southern grocery chain. They make killer subs and have a good bakery and deli. They also have a fair selection of organic stuffs. It's probably a 20 minute walk or so, but it's reasonable to get to on a bike or on the bus. This place is halfway to downtown so it's nicer than the win-dixie.
    Whole Foods: Fancier grocery for those looking for a wider selection of produce/heath/organic/etc foods. It's downtown and the bus goes right there.
    The Farmers Market: Pretty awesome to go to to get fresh produce and other local foodstuffs. It's held downtown by whole foods on Saturday mornings from 7am to noon. It's just a quick bus ride away.

How does it all break down?
    Basically if you're in freshman housing on campus you'll probably have to buy the full meal plan, that's just how it's set-up. If you live in a dorm with a kitchen or live off campus you'll probably want to do the whole cooking/groceries thing because you'll end up saving a lot of money. Then again a lot of the time you will be really busy, especially after freshman year, so you may not have as much time to prepare food yourself. In that case eating around campus can be a very nice thing. You don't have to invest in a meal plan to eat on campus, you can pay as you go, really. If you are not satisfied with the campus food or your dietary concerns aren't met by it you've got options, especially in the grocery sphere.

Last edited by Lizzybeth; July 31st, 2010 at 04:08 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizzybeth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow... I can't believe this thread exists! I remember posting on the 2007 hopefuls page. You guys are the first group that I won't actually have the opportunity to go to school with.

Best of luck... You will do great!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thesinfulsaint View Post
    Wow... I can't believe this thread exists! I remember posting on the 2007 hopefuls page. You guys are the first group that I won't actually have the opportunity to go to school with.
    aww ... maybe well all meet one day.

Thanks
    i was recently thinking of trying to learn to paint digitally. it seems like a medium that is more forgiving than actual paint, as well in ways it may be cheaper than buying canvas after canvas to simply experiment on, but i wanted to ask... does ringling like to see digital works in their portfolios?
    i will more than likely begin to learn the medium on my own, but knowing this will kind of 'persuade' me on how much time to spend doing it.

Thanks
    i was recently thinking of trying to learn to paint digitally. it seems like a medium that is more forgiving than actual paint, as well in ways it may be cheaper than buying canvas after canvas to simply experiment on, but i wanted to ask... does ringling like to see digital works in their portfolios?
    i will more than likely begin to learn the medium on my own, but knowing this will kind of 'persuade' me on how much time to spend doing it.
    Ringling likes to see good artwork, period. Doesn't really matter the medium.

You'll definitely want to start exploring digital mediums because they offer some significant advantages over traditional methods. The "forgiving" attribute of digital mediums is a double edged sword, however, as it's playground like capabilities can cause people to be indeliberate with their process.

Patience is a virtue, but who wants to be virtuous?

30. The Following User Says Thank You to lowercase For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzybeth View Post
    The Cafe: This is the one I know the least about since it just opened this past year. They have starbucks stuff there, fresh sandwiches like paninis, probably salads, sometimes pizza, and some quicker stuff like preportioned hummus, etc, along with fountain and bottled beverages. Open for lunch and dinner most of the time, might be closed on the weekends, not positive. Prices aren't to cheap, but if you're on a meal plan it doesn't matter!
    Yeah, the Cafe has the best food of the 3 options on campus. The sandwiches and soups are really good and they have a decent variety of them. It's not open on weekends, though. Often times I'd walk all the way across campus from North Hall to eat here instead of the Commons.

Also since last year the school started a cash equivalency sort of program for those on meal plans. I'm not 100% up on how this works either since I was never on it but basically instead of eating at the cafeteria you can eat at the cafe or grab some stuff at outakes (but what you can get at the cafe and at outakes is limited and it is only equivalent during certain hours). This was just the first year that they had it in place so they're likely still adjusting specifics so some of this may change. As far as I know there's no sort of "flex" dollars like some other schools have.
    You can either use your meal credit at the Commons (all-you-can-eat), Outtakes ($3.50 worth of food) or Cafe (soup or sandwich, chips and a drink). You also have to use the credit during the hours of that meal on that day, in other words you can't accumulate credit if you don't use it.

BTW, that's gotta be the most epic meal plan breakdown ever, Lizzybeth. Kudos!

Patience is a virtue, but who wants to be virtuous?

Thanks
    Well... I am another 2012 hopefull. I applied last year and got accepted to the illustration department, but I was unable to attend due to financial issues. I currently attend a 2 year art and design college in Delaware (the only art and design college in delaware) and I will reapply this year to Ringling. Also attending one of the Portfolio Day events this year.

I am excited and will be hard at work.

Thanks
    hi guys i am applying for the fall 2011 . i am glad to see you all . i will soon upload my sketches . i want you all to pot out the problems and give comments to it

thanks

Thanks
    guys !! whats the minimum percentge of mark to be scored on our academics to get into ringling!!!!!!!! becaz i got just 73 % on average

the future is mine

Thanks
    guys check out my sketchbook ....... plz give some replies .. http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=194690

the future is mine

Thanks

First post!

Hey everyone!

Ohhh! I am so excited! I am starting my last year of high school and I am planning on attending Ringling! But, one question. I live in Canada. Do I still have a chance to attend the school? I really hope so!

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 13