Ringling College of Art and Design 2011 hopefuls - Page 16

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    everything i hear about ringling reinforces that it's the kind of curriculum i'm looking for. Emphasis on character/production, extremely intensive, etc. Living in KC, though, I just don't know if I could make the finances work. Especially being a transfer student

Sketchbook: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...=208471&page=2

ArtBlog: http://bengraceart.blogspot.com/

"If it was easy, everyone would do it"
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @daiaenna: The campus is nice, and most buildings are pretty new 8] It's not too big and not too small, and takes about 8 minutes to walk from one end of the campus to the other, so you're pretty close to all of your classes. The Ulla Searing Center is the central building on campus and has dorms, Outtakes Cafe, the gym, an auditorium, the Admissions office, and a ton of labs for CA and GAD students. It's only a few years old, so everything is pretty new. On the other side of the campus is the Academic Center, which is where almost all of your classes will be Freshman year because it's for Core classes. It's also only a year old and really gorgeous North Hall (now known as Ann & Alfred Goldstein Hall) is only a year and half old as well and is definitely the best dorm ever, it's super colorful and fun and has lots of places to work and hang out 8]
    All the rest of the buildings and dorms are spread around campus except for the 3D Design labs which are just across the little street that intersects campus. Here's a map of the campus for you: www.ringling.edu/fileadmin/pdf/CampusMap.pdf

Last edited by Tuesday; February 23rd, 2011 at 06:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BGrizz I live in Topeka(Kansas woo ) and me going all the way out to Florida for college in itself is something a bit uncommon let alone for art school. There's a small amount every year who do, but I know I'll be the only or one of the few out of my class who do. I know I'm going to have to take a lot of loans unless I get many many scholarships and finical aid but I'm willing to do that unlike most kids in my city who would rather just go to the college in town or KU, KSU. And to me staying in Kansas and going to one of those schools horrifies me. There's nothing wrong with them, but they aren't for me and I'm sure that many kids would like other places better as well but either they never thought to or they think they can't financially which to me is a bad reason. Sure take it into consideration, but also take int consideration how much more you'll make by going to that better school or even just learning more. My sister went to University of Chicago and now she is applying to Law school and has already been accepted in Berkley and Georgetown. She knew she could do better and did even though she is now in debt, hopefully though because of her education she'll be able to pay it off quickly.

I write way to much but I guess the whole point was to say it doesn't really matter where you live when it comes to going to a school so don't let that alter your decision too much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I used to live in Topeka, lol. That's the other negative about Ringling- maybe I could get some sort of scholarship aid to another school.

As far as financial aid goes, I don't know if i'd qualify. I'll sure try but we're like middle class and i'm the only kid in college. I was able to get some grants and loans when my brother was also in college.

It's been a struggle for my family because my dad had a lot of stock in Enron, the company he worked for from about 1985-1995. Obviously he wasn't involved in any of the scandel, but obviously didn't have the forseight to offload the stock. Thus, my college fund shrunk, but has been getting back to around 40k. (i've contributed around 10k of that.)

I actually went to KSU for a year, haha, so it's funny you say that. ALl of my friends from high school went to KU or KSU. They have fun and i'm sure it's a good fit for them, but I always wanted to pursue art and knew I'd regret it if I stayed. Also, being someone who doesn't drink or smoke makes the state school life a bit treacherous. I'm sure that would be an issue for me at Ringling as well, but it's more the ducation i'm focused on.

Maybe my portfolio will be so epic in two years when I apply that they'll have no choice but to offer me a scholarship! Just kidding, but it's a hope.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Living in KC, though, I just don't know if I could make the finances work. Especially being a transfer student
    Let me put it this way, all decent art school for some reason costs a hell of a lot of money. That's just how it is. You can stay in Kansas and go to art school there and pay $30,000 tuition per year for an art school no one's ever heard of, or you can go to Ringling and pay that same amount of money for a school that's recognized as an Ivy League art school and it's number one in North America for Computer Animation, exactly what you're looking to get into, and when you're looking for a job in the industry, you'll have a professional portfolio behind you and exceptional skill. If that's not enough, MAJOR company's recruiters fly out ALL THE TIME just go come to Ringling. They know that Ringling's the best, that's why they go there. If this is what you really want, then the choice should be easy.

BGrizz I live in Topeka(Kansas woo ) and me going all the way out to Florida for college in itself is something a bit uncommon let alone for art school. There's a small amount every year who do, but I know I'll be the only or one of the few out of my class who do.
    It isn't uncommon at all, more than 90% of the student body isn't from Florida, and around 15% of the kids come internationally. I have friends who go to Ringling who know tons of people from Kansas (:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, being someone who doesn't drink or smoke makes the state school life a bit treacherous. I'm sure that would be an issue for me at Ringling as well, but it's more the ducation i'm focused on.
    You'll be happy to know that Ringling isn't known for being a party school ;D. If anything it's a sort of nerdy 'LETS PLAY VIDEO GAMES, WATCH GOOD MOVIES AND DRAW!' school from what I've heard. You're probably not going to come across cliché college parties there like you would at other schools.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like video games!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol it's tough because i have many games to play and i never do. I figure any time i have to be playing video games i should be drawing instead. Ah, the sacrifice- gotta love it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have no college fund, sigh oh how well my parents plan. Their plan is, hey work hard and get scholarships! I love video games and movies and the only parties I've ever been to with tons of people are school sponsored games after a football game...at a Christian school. No beer or drugs there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    About money...

I don't know how to word this so I don't sound like a bitch, haha. But if you genuinely feel that something (in this case, Ringling) is THE thing for you, you'll find a way to go. Money is just an obstacle that you have to pass, but if you let something like money (which is always coming and going) get in the way of your ambitions, then to me it just says that you didn't try hard enough. OR, it wasn't as important to you as you thought.

*There are loans, scholarships, grants.

*You could wait and move down to Florida, live there for a year and be eligible for the state grants.

*You could get a full time job, or multiple part time ones and just save, save, save.

*You could set up an online store, get your designs accepted at Threadless.com for t-shirts and earn money that way.

*Enter contests, do commissions, etc. etc.

Ringling's 30,000 tuition (+housing) is extremely steep, yeah. For me, my family has literally NOTHING so I can't help but be worried how I'm going to pay for it if I get accepted, but there's ALWAYS a way if you look for one.

I just had to get this out of the way because, to be perfectly frank, it bothers me when people use money as an excuse :/ So what if you're 100,000 in debt? At least you're HAPPY and have a set of skills that NO ONE will ever be able to take away from you. To me, that is invaluable.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pandadeux For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeesh...from seeing everyone's sample artworks, I really don't think I stand a chance with getting in this year. I've taken Saturday college courses in Philly for two years, but I don't feel like my art is all that great to make it this year. Still, I'm trying to keep positive! If I don't get in this year, there's always next year if another college I choose doesn't quite fulfill my expectations.
    I just want to know already!! Haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Katie, what major did you apply for (8?

You should also post your portfolio! This is a great place to get helpful critiques and such :j

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! CA and GAD majors should hear their fate by next week and the week after! Gaah, so nervous!

Keep your head up high, katiegeewhiz! Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aresa View Post
    Hey! CA and GAD majors should hear their fate by next week and the week after! Gaah, so nervous!

Keep your head up high, katiegeewhiz! Good luck!

Nervous is an understatement! I get waves of nausea whenever I think about judgment day being so close...

Gosh >___<

To make my self feel better about rejection I already planned out the next year by setting up a timeline, general landmarks, and have even scoped out what classes I want to take at the community college I'm going to transfer over from my university if I don't get into Ringling. LOL.

@ Katiegeewhiz,

Don't assume! Don't assume until you get that letter/package in the mail. Just be optimistic! and hope for the best! And the peeps here at Concept art are only sample. You don't know how the other hundreds of portfolios might be like. They could be utter crap? But yes, like Aresa said, keep your chin up C:!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by pandadeux View Post
    Nervous is an understatement! I get waves of nausea whenever I think about judgment day being so close...

Gosh >___<

To make my self feel better about rejection I already planned out the next year by setting up a timeline, general landmarks, and have even scoped out what classes I want to take at the community college I'm going to transfer over from my university if I don't get into Ringling. LOL.
    You're so right. Nervous is an understatement. More like "panicking and bashing my head against a wall."....Well, for me it is! Haha!

Lol! Good plan! Here's hoping that you don't have to resort to that!

Best of luck, everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hope everyone gets in. Maybe next year I'll be in the school with you all.

I'm compiling a long list from the past 10 years, of who's graduated from the CA course at Ringling, and what they're doing now. Hope it keeps you guy's motivated.

Nick Pitera - Graduated 2008 - Works at Pixar

Ben Beech - Graduated 2008 - Works at Pixar

Cat Hicks - Graduated 2009 - Works at Pixar

Lindsey Olivares - Graduated 2009 - Works at Dreamworks

Liron Topaz - Graduated 2009 - Works at Dreamworks

Jorge Garcia - Graduated 2009 - Works at Rhythm and Hues Studios

Jin Kum - Graduated 2009 - Works at Sony Imageworks

Yezi Xue - Graduated 2010 - Works at Sony Imageworks

Shane Cauchi - Graduated 2010 - Works at Sony Imageworks

Jill Hackett - Graduated 2010 - Works at Blue Sky Studios

I'm still working on the list, trying to get all the way back from the early 2000's. I'm only working with the ones on the portfolio page, and others I have found already.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DanialGlover,
    cool idea!
    maybe you could list the area they're working in too, like animation or lighting, etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahh. I just got a postcard from Ringling that said they don't have one of my transcripts, even though I sent it two weeks ago. I emailed them but obviously won't get a reply until monday. Trying hard not to stress out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rocky Marciano is best !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rocky Marciano is best !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man, the time draws near, good luck to you guys !

Also, for anyone considering pre-college, they only have about 40 slots left for CA D8 and that was a week ago.... CA goes VERY fast, so if you're considering it, apply now! And even if you're not, still apply early, because the people that sign up early on will be the first folks to pick the courses they want for their schedule

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just wanted to say goodluck to everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by angel6539 View Post
    Ringling does not offer MFAs
    yet

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When does Ringling usually send out the acceptance/rejection letter? 2-3 weeks after you complete your application?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One more question, do you receive a scholarship with your acceptance letter? This is my first time trying out for a scholarship so I'm not familiar with the whole process. :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by catsmeow
    When does Ringling usually send out the acceptance/rejection letter? 2-3 weeks after you complete your application?
    It depends on what you applied for. If you applied for CA/GAD, your acceptance package or rejection letter should come sometime this week or next week. For all other majors I think you get your answer 2-3 weeks after you apply.

Quote Originally Posted by catsmeow View Post
    One more question, do you receive a scholarship with your acceptance letter? This is my first time trying out for a scholarship so I'm not familiar with the whole process. :/
    Last year in my illustration acceptance package I received a scholarship, so I think that's how it works.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good luck to everyone! Hope to join you some day.....we will see..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I got the CA acceptance letter from Ringling... but they want me to start in Fall... this is not good. Maybe it's because they are changing around the first year schedule? This means I have to pay for an extra semester... If they don't give me a decent scholarship, Ringling is not looking likely.

Also @ pandadeux
    I would like to say, money IS an issue and in multiple ways.

1. I cannot get any more than 5k or so in loans from the government. I am not eligible for parent-plus loans. I can not get any private loans because no one will co-sign for me and I've tried everyone I know. I've tried for scholarships online but those don't really amount to anything. I am basically left up to Ringling to give me some financial or I can't afford it. My parents payed 2k per month payments my first semester at Ringling and were nearly dirt broke because of it (could barely even afford food). They tried, but they can't make those high payments anymore. And to make things worse, my EFC for this years FASFA doubled and I have no idea why, which means I will be eligible for even less aid than before.

2. Debt IS something to consider! Right now I'm in about 20k+ worth of debt AND I'm going to have to pay for 4 full years of Ringling now (+interest). That's a LOT of money. Now it is to ask myself. 'Is this worth it?' Luckily the job turnout for someone who works hard at Ringling is good, but there are still many that remain jobless. (Ringling does not put all their student films on their website you know) However, there is cheaper ways to reach the same goal. Animation Mentor also has a very good track record of students joining into big companies like Pixar and Dreamworks, the same as Ringling. And it's only 20k for the entire thing. I'm starting it this month actually in case I cant return to Ringling (which is probably likely due to money). Now to say, money is not an excuse to not pursue your dreams, YES I believe it, but Ringling isn't necessarily the only path to the goal.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also @ catsmeow
    For CA and GAD, my friend who got in CA last year said it came a while after she got her acceptance package. It was also after she received her first bill. Now it might be different for Ill and the rest since you get notified for those much later past the March 1st deadline for submitting the FAFSA.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    all you people interested in animation should look at Hett's thread from '05 if you haven't already. It is full of absolutely great stuff and if you are interested in animation you really should read through the whole thing.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38716

Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 9