Page 13 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Lizzybeth - Thanks for the prompt reply. Definitely going to keep at those still-lifes and figures!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Does ringling only focus for undergraduate can i apply in masters aswell? I have done bachelors in buisness but i want to do MFA any possibility. What are the requirements?

Thanks
    Ringling does not offer MFAs

Thanks
    just got back from portfolio day at lehmans college in the bronx. my whole body hurts, but now i have at least a bit of an idea where and how i should push myself. i stood in line for 4 hrs simply to get looked at by both representatives of ringling. i think people must have thought me crazy. If i saw any of you there, sorry not to have recognized you- i was the guy with the pencils in his ears and all the long hair. lol.

not sure if this goes to help anyone else, but something i heard being told a lot, and to myself included, is that when making your drawing from real life you don't have to stay in real life. in other words still lives again and again tend to get a bit boring. i was advised to add a bit of surrealism or splice still lives together to get more "striking images".

one of the representatives explained to a girl who was there, that they needed to do drawings from life, but one way that they could make it "interesting" is by drawing, lets say a hand, and causing it to to transform into a tree, of have trees sprouting out (i believe this artist had several nature pieces).
    Another strong point of interest was local color and contrast. they seemed to really like to see strong contrasts, and they also like when the local colors- the distinctions between natural values- can be automatically read.

not sure if this helps anyone- but i just wanted to add a few pointers i got today to maybe help some people out.

mow if you'll please excuse me....

i need to go pass out.
    Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to themegagod For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Alright, thank you much!
    I have another question-
    So what if someone applies to CA or GAD or something difficult, and gets rejected, but still wants to major in something else at their school? Do you get that choice..or would you apply to both and drop one? : /

Even if dreams seem out of reach, reach for them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamyth View Post
    Alright, thank you much!
    I have another question-
    So what if someone applies to CA or GAD or something difficult, and gets rejected, but still wants to major in something else at their school? Do you get that choice..or would you apply to both and drop one? : /
    It depends on the program that you apply for. Someone who is interested in Game Art has their portfolio critiqued by those professors in the major -- not by people in say Interior Design.

While you are here you can switch (especially during the first year) from one to another, provided you get accepted -- but take that with a grain of salt because I'd vouch to say that most of us that are here know what we want to do before we even applied.
    sketchwax.blogspot.com Updated December 2011

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by themegagod View Post
    I'm right there with you...
    i think for GADs they basically want to see the same thing as they do for CA. my understanding is so long as it's good art, it's good art.
    Something i read- i think a post from awhile back- said that sometimes if you can't get into CA (and thats what you were applying to) they may offer you a seat in the GAD program, and if you don't get into GAD you may be offered a seat in illustration, something like that. though i don't know the validity of that statement, nor do i know the hierarchy; but it does seem somewhat true. so i figure if that is true, all of the programs must look for similar portfolios

I think that the double major idea is off of the table because it is way to intense to major in two subjects. my understanding is that no matter what major you choose you will be ground into a fine pulp, and reshaped into a great artist; but that whole grinding into a pulp thing could be deadly if doubled. In other words, you will have enough sleepless nights with only one major.

But this does raise a question for me. i looked over the course curriculum area in one of the booklets i was sent and i noticed there are empty elective slots for all majors. I was wondering, is it then possible to major in one area and take other major courses for your electives.

in other words,
    can you be a GAD major, and for an elective course take animation II( or III or what ever it is a GAD doesn't have)?

I'm not asking if this would be a smart option, but is it possible? and then if it is possible, is it smart, or suicide?

to all who read this thank you for your time lol.
    Sophomore GAD here...

In the first year, assuming that you get accepted as a GAD, second semester, you will have traditional animation. This will be a deciding factor in whether or not you will want to pursue animation. If you truly want to be an animator, you will find that you LOVE traditional animation. If you abhor going to traditional animation, then you're probably in your element by just sticking with GAD.

Also in second semester of the first year, theres a history class pertinent to your major. If you are in computer animation, you will have "history of animation", where as if you are in GAD, you will have "history of games"... as you could imagine, these courses are vastly different.

2nd year....

As GAD you will have the option of taking traditional animation 2... but its a lot of work (as you will have learned from traditional animation 1). Most of us said "forget that" because we realized that our roots were tied in to games moreso than animation. I think maybe 3 out of the ~28 sophomore GADs took Traditional animation 2 (TA2).

GAD's will focus their work primarily on modeling assets in Maya/zBrush (btw learning Maya in 2 weeks = hell) and getting extremely extremely extremely familiar with the Unreal engine (UDK). All we care about is the experience on the player. Drawing doesnt matter so much here as digital painting does -- so do yourself a favor and start practicing that NOW. Get used to using a tablet... study every technique you can on digital painting... it will help.

Animation focuses solely on Maya, and rigging, timing, primitives and a bunch of other stuff that GAD really really doesn't care about. While we may use the same computers as the CA's, we don't actually associate with them -- second year is really your "awakening" year as far as im concerned... and you'll really really end up bonding with your classmates during 2nd year than you will in the first.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Limewax For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    so if i'm correct, and i may not be, CA focuses on making the most stimulating images for any one sitting, where as GADs focus more on props and simpler character cycles that flow into each other seamlessly, for interactive purposes.
    CAs seem to focus more on characters and emotions where as GADs seem to focus on creating scenery and worlds, as well as monsters and concepts.
    CAs seem to tell a story through film, but GADs seem to create a world and it would seem let the world tell the story for them.

I ask so much because there is so much on the amazing CA departments, but since the first GADs either are or have just graduated, there isn't all that much information on the GADs. as well i know EA has several intern seats reserved for GADs but how does it seem the graduated, or soon to be, are finding it trying to get work?
    I know CAs get hired left and right but how are the GADs?
    I know the gaming industry is very competitive so how goes the struggle?

edit*********************************

oh yeah!
    i have also been wondering- what is the thesis or big finally for GAD students. i know that CAs make basically a pixar short- but what do GADs have to do their final year? make a fully functioning video game, of only a single level? it would seem comparable to the shorts CAs make.
    Last edited by themegagod; November 22nd, 2010 at 03:34 PM. Reason: typos and addition

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by themegagod View Post
    so if i'm correct, and i may not be, CA focuses on making the most stimulating images for any one sitting, where as GADs focus more on props and simpler character cycles that flow into each other seamlessly, for interactive purposes.
    CAs seem to focus more on characters and emotions where as GADs seem to focus on creating scenery and worlds, as well as monsters and concepts.
    CAs seem to tell a story through film, but GADs seem to create a world and it would seem let the world tell the story for them.

I ask so much because there is so much on the amazing CA departments, but since the first GADs either are or have just graduated, there isn't all that much information on the GADs. as well i know EA has several intern seats reserved for GADs but how does it seem the graduated, or soon to be, are finding it trying to get work?
    I know CAs get hired left and right but how are the GADs?
    I know the gaming industry is very competitive so how goes the struggle?

edit*********************************

oh yeah!
    i have also been wondering- what is the thesis or big finally for GAD students. i know that CAs make basically a pixar short- but what do GADs have to do their final year? make a fully functioning video game, of only a single level? it would seem comparable to the shorts CAs make.

On hiring:

I personally feel that getting a job in the creative industry is all about a matter of passion. If you come to this school and you don't work your ass off, nothing is going to be handed to you.

On people getting hired left and right:

Maybe thats just your impression, and thats okay, and thats alright that you believe that just by attending Ringling everything will be set in stone... but then reality comes in and you realize the amount of work you have to put in in order to be a top competitor... not just in your graduating class, but against the entire industry. Compare yourself not to your classmates, but the entire industry.

What you need to know:

The GAD major is new, clearly. This being said, its under constant change, year-to-year... so much so that what I did in my freshman year will be very different from what the freshman class of 2015 will go through. What the seniors are producing this year will be very different from what I will be producing as a senior. This isn't done intentionally...its that this is how the industry reacts. Something new comes out, everyone gravitates towards these trends. In our situation its because of the timely release of UDK. UDK is very, very new and its now our main pipeline in GAD. By the time I graduate I anticipate knowing more than the seniors do at this point in time.

How you are currently misinterpreting the major:

GADs are focused more on submersion and the experience. We are very much concerned with COMPELLING GAME PLAY... making it real in your mind. etc. What I'm getting from your interpretation right now is it that all we do is just make props and rudimentary animation cycles along with some technobabble about "flow into each other seamlessly" -- don't word things up more than what it is: We make levels, props, pitch characters, make all of the art for ALL of that, we create mechanics (play-test the hell out of them), we consider greatly: lighting, camera movement and various other factors that are major in the film industry.

I think there's one final thing that may be shown to your to help clarify your decision. I want you to look at these examples and DONT think 'oh this one is prettier, so i want to do this', but observe them from a standpoint of 'do I feel submerged? is this compelling? is this something I could imagine creating and being satisfied with? are these the kinds of feelings I want to invoke?' Please note how CA focuses on ANIMATION, where examples of GAD-like stuff focus on GAME PLAY. From this determination, I think it will help to clarify if you truly want to be a GAD or CA:

CA:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxFL4OWeQLw (Ringling Alum)
    http://burncomics.com/gallery/images/demo2009.m4v (Ringling Alum that works in the games industry) (note: this is a focus on his RIGGING and ANIMATION ability, he didn't necessarily come up with the concepts of these characters)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byTmkiPEzCg (CA Thesis)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIJiWQMsVOE (someone from Ringling probably worked on this, but I cant confirm that)

GAD: (Alum most likely did NOT work on these, but they are still examples of what we do)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEAUbZpoxl0 (UDK engine)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d68KiRM4qUA (UDK engine)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aagVrEPakzc (not UDK, but still compelling)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_fsM6LBi54 (worked on by a current GAD Jr)

and finally, here's a game that you (and everyone else for that matter) should play... this is also the same kind of work that a GAD is expected to produce, as this was created by Mike Molinari who went through Ringling and graduated with a minor in Game: http://jayisgames.com/cgdc9/?gameID=11

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Limewax For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    let me begin by apologizing if i came off as ignorant or degrading toward either program- i will openly admit when it comes to understanding either program i am stupid, but i am willing and wanting to learn. i think both programs are amazing, but i'm trying to Keep it simple for myself.
    what i was trying to say, is not that GADs are doing anything simple- but something more readable that will work in an interactive environment. It would seem to me, someone who knows roughly... nothing, that CAs have a bit more freedom with their images, being able to create anything with any backgrounds they want so long as the programs can create the images, whereas GADs need to worry more about if the images can run on a "system" and if it will lag etc. I believed that if there is animation in the GAD programs it is based around the cycles that run into each other, such as a pressure sensitive walk cycle that can turn into a run cycle. Again... i have NO idea, so this is/was just speculation.
    as far as me thinking that i will have a job waiting for me... god if only. lol. it's not that, but it is that i have to tell myself my dreams aren't impossible. if i thought that- why would i even try? i need to think by going to the best school and working myself tirelessly- i can actually achieve whatever it is i want to. so i need to tell myself that it happens for others so it can happen for me. wouldn't it be nice though if you knew that after graduating you had a great job waiting for you?

lol.
    thank you though. i think you did give me a better understanding... and i think i am leaning more towards gad. i think i always did, but it's scary thinking about going into a new program. it's scary not knowing what you will learn but it does help to know that you are getting one of the top educations- or at least an education where it doesn't seem any of the students have anything bad to say.

one of the things i do seem to notice though, and again, i have no idea if i'm making this up or not, is that GADs seem to create much different ambiance and backgrounds from CAs. it would seem GADs create darker images, that tend to lean towards grit and realism. this is even seen in the trailer you linked for the wow trailer. though the trailer was dark, it seemed to be a bit more bubbly. I have no idea if i'm describing this right, nor what it is exactly that i'm noticing, but it would seem that GADs have more of a realism base, and CAs have more of an exaggerated life.

yet still, it almost seems a lot of the products from both programs could be a bit, interchangeable.

anyway- i think i have a bit of a better understanding, and i think i do lean more towards being a GAD, but if i could get into either program i would be as happy as... a fat kid living in a world of cake.

Thanks
    themegagod-

Anything is possible, the encouragement to do something different is there, and often "limitations" are a thing of the past as long as you can show that you're able to do something and you argue for it. It's your grade, it's your money, the faculty is there to help you, but it's up to you to come up with ideas and execute them.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to copperfire For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    guys !!!!!!!!! only a month is more to submit our portfolioz !!!! how is your preparation going !!! ...
    the future is mine

Thanks
    Oh geez! I'm so, so nervous! I have some hand studies done, but I plan to do more and combine them together. Since it's break time, I hope to have a few portfolio pieces done. I also have to finish my essay...aah! Go, go, go! Much luck with your portfolios, guys!

Also, Happy Turkey Day!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 379 Posts
    One month? January 15th?

I'm still... Thinking about it... ._.

Thanks
    guyz ... help me out in this !!!!!! which one would be the best to include --- rough figures or cleanly rendered one .
    the future is mine

Page 13 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast