Page 13 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 63 ... LastLast

Thread: Ringling College of Art and Design 2011 hopefuls

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by katiegeewhiz View Post

One thing that bothered me was that the majority of computer in the CA building at SCAD were PC and were running on Windows 7 while from what I saw, all the computers at Ringling were Macs.
    Except the CA labs, we run on windows. In fact, most of the industry still does. Though, Macs are pretty awesome !

And if anyone could answer this question?
    At SCAD I saw students working on the Wacom Cintiqs. Does Ringling have these also? Or do they not use them?
    We use good ol' Wacom Intuos 3 ;D Works great! :3
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Randy - We are actually very close! How creepy! I live in Hammonton which is only about 30 minutes from ya. WEIRD.

copperfire - Thanks for answering my question! Having our windows 7 PC units crash must be just something wrong with my school. (Gonna be honest here, not attending a very great high school) I've never worked with a tablet or a cintiq so I hope that doesn't play against me. I hope I can learn!

pandadeux - Thanks for the advice! What you wrote is very true. And i'm going to try to make my own thread to show my current works soon. Right now I am freaking out over my portfolio. I keep adding and taking away pieces and changing them up because I want them to be good enough! I'd also like to get a scholarship if at all possible. Hopefully things will go my way.

Thanks
    Ahhh! that is creepy... lol. who knows we might know each other... or at least have seen each other in passing at some point or another. weird.

I go up the mall up there all the time. lets face it, it's one of few places worth going out here. lol.
    Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

Thanks
    Glad to see this thread picking up a little! It's getting close to portfolio time!

I hope to see some portfolio pieces from you guys as well. I started and put some in my sketchbook, but I'm gonna add more.

I just got an email from Patti Spencer, asking if we can still send transcripts, even though we submitted our application. The answer is yes, we still can, but make sure you send your current transcript with your application. Just a heads up, if anyone had a similar question. No slacking off! Haha!

Thanks
    Hahaha. I'm really getting nervous about deadlines! Been drawing a lot though and I really do enjoy figure drawing! I want to sit down and experiment with acrylics and watercolor too - to see if I can make anything portfolio worthy using mediums I'm unfamiliar with, lol.

Getting a new computer this weekend hopefully so I'll finally be able to hook up my scanner and post my sketchbook! So, so excited!

Katie - My school's the same with Windows 7 PCs. It sucks. A lot. But maybe it's because the school's technology department isn't the most knowledgeable because our Mac lab has problems as well.

However, I've never had a problem with Ringling's CA lab for the month I spent there. And tablets are fun. A little difficult at first, but you get used to it. It won't play against you if you've never used one before because you don't /have/ to put digital work in your portfolio. Not sure if it's the same for the CA major, but Illustration doesn't stress tablet use from what I remember.

Thanks
    Most of the computer labs on campus are macs. As far as I know only one of those is equipped with tablets (they all have the drivers installed though, so you can bring your own intuos to the other labs).

Interior Design and Computer Animation use PCs with windows 7. The computers in the CA labs are all equipped with tablets. It's probably not your school's fault that windows crashes a lot, it's probably window's fault. Ringling is no exception to computer problems. I probably average a crash a day, but I'm working on a computer almost all the time, so that's not so bad really. Although, I've had photoshop crash on me 3 times in a row during class.... (CS5 tends to be quirky anways). Just save often (: Our IT department here is pretty good too. They do their best to iron out the kinks, but with so many computers being used by so many people problems do come up.

The tablets that ringling has right now are Intuos 3 tablets. None of them have pens with them though. You can either buy/bring along your own tablet pen or check one out from from the school. All computer labs have large widescreen monitors and all the computers are rather powerful (the CA computers being obviously more powerful due to the higher demands placed on them.

Tablet skills are not at all necessary, but really they come in handy. It'll be worth your trouble to familiarize yourself with drawing with tablets and using common software like photoshop/painter. I know some people who had a bit of a hard time when they hit Drawing for Animators or Concept (CA classes), the concept development classes in the vis dev minor, or computer illustration (ILL class). You don't want to be stuck learning how to use the thing when you've got an assignment due in a week. Get used to the tools so they don't hold you back. Ringling doesn't look for digital work in portfolios, I'm just saying those skills and the familiarity will help you out later when you're actually here.

That's funny that SCAD's animation department is in an ex carriage/coffin factory and is so dreary and windowless like that. I feel much the same way about the animation labs here at ringling. No windows, more often than not cold, and rather dim, not to mention everything looks like it's right out of an office.... You get used to it though... but it's still nice to go work in the illustration labs after hours (:

A word of caution about cutting out your sleep: It seems to be a pretty common attitude that "you can sleep when you're dead". I use that myself sometimes. Really though, don't push it that far... don't let yourself get to the point where you're losing excessive amounts of sleep. Your ability to effectively function falloff and the quality of your work will decline - and that is DEFINITELY something you don't want to happen EVER. The workload here is really intense and it is very easy to fall behind on work and sleep and slip into the situation where you have to do your work just to get it done and aren't able to really put in that extra care and effort to really make it your own and make it good. Long nights working on art is often romanticized but in reality you want to be in your best condition so that you can make your best work. It's really bad when you work on something like concept at 4 in the morning because you probably wont be coming up with anything good at that time - that class is already hard enough to do well. You end up hurting yourself just to make subpar work and then can't even get the most out of classes the next day. It's also a dangerous thing. I know I'm sounding like a mom, but seriously. Not getting enough sleep can cause you to have serious health problems (I know several people who've become seriously worried about their health at times from stress and lack of rest) and even injure yourself (I know one guy who blacked out from lack of sleep while walking between labs sophomore year and another guy whose crashed his car twice when leaving the labs because he was so tired). If you don't sleep enough you will knock down your immune system and getting sick is not an option in CA. You get one absence per class - after that your grade will be docked a letter each absence. Chances are you will oversleep once any give semester and wham, that's it! Miss a class and you drop a letter. If you get less than a C- in any of your major classes you fail and will probably have to do the year over. Getting B's is hard enough for a lot of people, A's are typically far and few between, you do the math. Sorry to rant like this, it's just something I see a lot around here and the sooner you can get yourself to really budget your time well the better off you will be. If you're paying the ridiculous sum of money that it takes to go here you want to be able to do your best while your here - don't short change yourself by not sleeping.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizzybeth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzybeth View Post
    A word of caution about cutting out your sleep: It seems to be a pretty common attitude that "you can sleep when you're dead". I use that myself sometimes. Really though, don't push it that far... don't let yourself get to the point where you're losing excessive amounts of sleep. Your ability to effectively function falloff and the quality of your work will decline - and that is DEFINITELY something you don't want to happen EVER. The workload here is really intense and it is very easy to fall behind on work and sleep and slip into the situation where you have to do your work just to get it done and aren't able to really put in that extra care and effort to really make it your own and make it good. Long nights working on art is often romanticized but in reality you want to be in your best condition so that you can make your best work. It's really bad when you work on something like concept at 4 in the morning because you probably wont be coming up with anything good at that time - that class is already hard enough to do well. You end up hurting yourself just to make subpar work and then can't even get the most out of classes the next day. It's also a dangerous thing. I know I'm sounding like a mom, but seriously. Not getting enough sleep can cause you to have serious health problems (I know several people who've become seriously worried about their health at times from stress and lack of rest) and even injure yourself (I know one guy who blacked out from lack of sleep while walking between labs sophomore year and another guy whose crashed his car twice when leaving the labs because he was so tired). If you don't sleep enough you will knock down your immune system and getting sick is not an option in CA. You get one absence per class - after that your grade will be docked a letter each absence. Chances are you will oversleep once any give semester and wham, that's it! Miss a class and you drop a letter. If you get less than a C- in any of your major classes you fail and will probably have to do the year over. Getting B's is hard enough for a lot of people, A's are typically far and few between, you do the math. Sorry to rant like this, it's just something I see a lot around here and the sooner you can get yourself to really budget your time well the better off you will be. If you're paying the ridiculous sum of money that it takes to go here you want to be able to do your best while your here - don't short change yourself by not sleeping.

being that you've been at this awhile, what is the best way to get the most out of your time? I've been trying, but there is never ever enough time in the day. there is always something to do, but there is never the time to do it, and simply thinking about what is the priority causes me feel like i'm wasting time.
    i've heard that taking breaks helps you study; is this the same with art? should you take a break every hour or so? or with art are you supposed to just work until it's finished?
    how do you not procrastinate? I find that a very hard thing to do... i also get side tracked easily. any advice there?
    also how do you beat getting tired?
    worse to me than going to sleep is getting tired. how do you work through that "2:30" feeling, and not simply slowing down?

Just a couple of questions because i know the time to do everything is there but i simply can't seem to find it. i feel as though i need another day in ever day, to do everything i have to do in a day.
    if anyone has "mastered" the art of time management, be sure to answer. any and all advice helps.
    Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

Thanks
    identify, prioritize, decide, commit, focus.

The biggest thing is focus. A big thing with dealing with focus and procrastination is will power. Being distracted is a choice. Distraction constantly knocks on our door, and often times we answer or even invite it over, but it's always a choice. Set up rules for yourself, and follow them. When I am working in a lab I don't surf the internet. I don't check facebook like everyone else. The only thing I'll have is my email, class notes, and reference. Small rules like that help you stay on track. (Ok, I'll admit that has kind of gone out the window this semester since I forgot my ethernet cable at home and my dorm wireless is rather unreliable, but I plan to reinstate this practice next semester).

Multitasking does not work. Splitting your attention between two different things is one of the fastest ways to get nowhere.

The best way to keep focus is to be excited about and genuinely care about what you are doing.

A good thing to do is make a list identifying all the pieces that you need to get done and working through it. When you're working on one of those pieces stick with it. Don't shift to something else or think about the past or future. Just dedicate yourself to accomplishing that one thing. Tomorrow's going to come whether or not you spend time thinking about it or not. So don't waste your time.

Taking breaks depends on how you work and how you are working at the time. They can break your focus and turn into a way of procrastination or they can be a legitimate refresher to the mind and body. Be aware of how you're working and use your discretion.

Do not rationalize. Making excuses is one of the worst things you can do. Yoda said it best, there is not try, there is only do or do not. At the end of the day you will have your work. You will not talk your way into a job, you will not talk your way to a grade. Everything rides on the very thing you make, not how you feel about it or how you got to it. So hold yourself responsible for your work, good and bad, and get your stuff together and done.

Nothing is ever really "finished" it just reaches different levels of presentability. When working layer it up so at any time you could stop and turn it in if you had too instead of getting caught with your pants down and having half of your animation lovely and done and the other half only posed. Hopefully you don't have to turn something in so unfinished, but working in this way can help to save some of your skin when you get into those really tight spots. It wont be pretty but at least you can get out of it alive.

Personally I don't beat getting tired. I'm tired a lot. It sucks. A good deal of people here are tired at any give time. You just keep going because you have to and rest up as soon as you can. Staying engaged and interested in your work helps you forget that you're tired (although fatigued eyes and arms are pretty good reminders too). Stay focused, optimistic, and just keep swimming.

As for staying up, a lot of the stuff above plays in. For me the dead zone is 5am-6am, I find 2:30 pretty mild. Things usually start going downhill around 3am and if you're lucky pick back up again around sunrise. If I am really crunched those are the hours that I'll sleep because those are when I am least competent and conscious about my work. There's no real way to not slow down. That's why all-nighters are such a bad idea. They wreck you for the next day and you usually don't get all that much out of them. One of my rules is not to drink coffee. I just don't like the taste of it, but I've seen too many people dependent on it throughout my life that I decided I never wanted to set myself up to need caffeine to wake up or work through the night. Never touch energy drinks either. Usually I just drink juice or tea and snacks. Even with the tea I make it a point not to drink a lot and only drink it on some of the late nights. Appropriate food/drink can be a pretty good pick-me-up in the late hours when dinner wears off. The right kind of music too, and in some cases the right company or lack of.

When you are consistently strapped for sleep get what you can and get it consistently. if you're only getting 4 hours a night don't go to bed at midnight, get up at 4am to work and then stay up to 6am and sleep 'till ten. Doing that will only confuse your body and make your feel worse.

It's always said, but exercise is a good thing too. In CA we sit in chairs for 10-15 hours a day. Exercise is definitely a good thing. Even just doing a couple simple exercises just 5 minutes a day after waking up can make a difference in energy levels.

Be aware of what you are doing, make good decisions, stay on the sunny side, and don't ever fool yourself.
    Last edited by Lizzybeth; November 11th, 2010 at 02:44 AM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lizzybeth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the info Lizzybeth! Very interesting stuff you said.

Now, could some who is applying help me out with...applying?!

When I click apply online, Ringling brings me to the common app website. So, I made a common app username and am currently filling it out.
    I'm taking the SAT's in December one more time in hopes of getting good grades.
    I get my first marking period report card soon so I'll have my GPA to enter too.
    Should I just enter the SAT scores when I have my GPA? Or wait until the beginning of January when I can submit them?

I told my councilor that the dead line is Jan 15 (By the way, is that also for the portfolio too? Or just the application?) and she said I could give her my SAT scores when I get them at the beginning on January and we'd submit EVERYTHING January 3rd.

Would that be cutting it close? Should I get everything in with just my old SAT scores before Christmas?

ALSO: Involving the essay...there's a section to put some kind of essay describing yourself in the common app, but there is also a section on ringling.slideroom.com (the site to submit and online portfolio) that wants you to list your 500 word essay about yourself. Which do I submit it in?! Both?

Gah, I'm probably just dumb, but this is all very confusing and I'm scared I'm going to mess up somewhere. Honestly, the basic SCAD application was a lot easier.

If anyone could answer my questions, it would help a lot!

Thanks
    Thanks for the info Lizzybeth! Very interesting stuff you said.

Now, could some who is applying help me out with...applying?!

When I click apply online, Ringling brings me to the common app website. So, I made a common app username and am currently filling it out.
    I'm taking the SAT's in December one more time in hopes of getting good grades.
    I get my first marking period report card soon so I'll have my GPA to enter too.
    Should I just enter the SAT scores when I have my GPA? Or wait until the beginning of January when I can submit them?

I told my councilor that the dead line is Jan 15 (By the way, is that also for the portfolio too? Or just the application?) and she said I could give her my SAT scores when I get them at the beginning on January and we'd submit EVERYTHING January 3rd.

Would that be cutting it close? Should I get everything in with just my old SAT scores before Christmas?

ALSO: Involving the essay...there's a section to put some kind of essay describing yourself in the common app, but there is also a section on ringling.slideroom.com (the site to submit and online portfolio) that wants you to list your 500 word essay about yourself. Which do I submit it in?! Both?

Gah, I'm probably just dumb, but this is all very confusing and I'm scared I'm going to mess up somewhere. Honestly, the basic SCAD application was a lot easier.

If anyone could answer my questions, it would help a lot!
    Katie, I am a sophomore student at Ringling. I strongly suggest taking the jump ahead to contact the administration office for a more concise answer on your concerns.

I will say what I can to help you, but I am not 100% certain that what I know is still accurate (as I applied... what... three years ago now?) When I applied, the application deadline was January 15th. Unfortunately for me, I got inspired to dive in to the application process on Jan 12th, leaving 3 days for me to prepare everything that you had mentioned. Instead, I came to terms with myself and held off on applying for one year, which was probably the best idea I ever had.

I then went to community college for a year and knocked off 8 liberal arts elective courses as well as 1 studio class. During this time i also generated substantial work for my portfolio, as well as visited the campus on an open house / portfolio weekend and made myself known with the professors of Game Art and Design (my major).

Everything was due on January 15th, application, fees, portfolio, 1st and 2nd born, transcripts, redundant/meaningless test scores, etc. I personally wouldnt submit my old scores, but frankly I had like a 920 on my SAT, I could give a shit about standardized tests (I am 26 years old, was 23 when I applied).

All of the portfolios are reviewed at the same time when the powers that be go to decide which applicants are going to be accepted. They go through hundreds at a time. That being said, its not giving you any advantage by submitting it "early", all that matters is that its on time.

As far as the essay thing goes, I think i remember running in to the same issue as you - I am pretty sure that I posted the same essay I wrote in two locations. The essay should always be the same, of course... and I think if I dug enough I could probably find mine somewhere.......

And lastly, stop worrying, start being excited and anxious... its the best part. Be happy in everything that you do.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Limewax For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    So who else is starting to get unbelievably nervous?

I know I am... I just sent in the Common Application the other day which brings me just one step closer to completing the whole process (and one step closer to Ringling)!

I have been feeling incredibly anxious... Finals are coming up, and I'm stressing over those since I really don't want to lose my good grades so far. It's funny how doing badly on one test screws up your whole grade for the class.

How's everyone else doing though C:?

Thanks
    Ahhh. Wait, so, we can't double major ? Or no one does because of the intense workload? =/ Now I'm confuseddd. I really wanted to double major in illustration and computer animation. Ughh. Does anyone know how minoring in illustration works out? =/

Even if dreams seem out of reach, reach for them.

Thanks
    hey there im a 2011 hopeful for the game art and design major at ringling and was looking for some advice on what to put into my portfolio

Page 13 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 63 ... LastLast