Ringling College of Art and Design 2011 hopefuls - Page 13
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Ringling College of Art and Design 2011 hopefuls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by maanas.93 View Post
    @addle- you better e-mail them because as i mailed them asking about my application they said that few common app forms of mine are missing so they told me to scan those and email to them .. so you better ask them soon
    Oh no, fff. That means you've passed the CA deadline for getting everything in \: Did they tell you that if you get them in they'll still consider you for CA, or are they being strict about it?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @.@;; I almost didn't make it! Apparently I was suppose to send them a CD (because I'm reapplying) but I was told to upload to slideroom... but they managed to sort it out, thank goodness x_x

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man! That freaking sucks that they were missing your commonapp. I hope they're being a smidge lenient to you, maanas. D':

I emailed them. I was a little worried because I had to make a new email for slideroom (hotmail isn't compatible apparently). My admissions counselor knew that I had though. I just got a reply and everything's good to go! So yeah, just waiting it out.

Got a package in the mail yesterday, but it was too big for the mailbox so I had to drive to the post office to get it. It was the freaking calendar, lol. But it's so beautiful so it's worth it! Hanging on my wall now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had a small problem also regarding one of the supplemental forms. I emailed them and the advisors were very nice, allowing me to give them an email with the required materials.

From what the advisor told me in the emails, they start reviewing this week!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @stefanie- they got the things which i sent through common app .. but the matter is i have filled up two schools name but gave only one transcript so they asked me to send the other transcript from the other school and one more recommendation letter. . and to make it faster they just asked me to scan and e-mail them. ..... they are being so nice.. ringling is the best
    and ya they still considered me for CA

Last edited by maanas.93; January 26th, 2011 at 02:15 AM.
    the future is mine

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i dont think they are sending out calenders to international applicants .. so no calender for me

the future is mine

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heyy, does anyone know when we'll know if we were accepted or rejected, or an estimate of when? : o

Even if dreams seem out of reach, reach for them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dreamyth, I received an email on january 14th from admissions saying 6-8 weeks, so around the first week of March should be when we start hearing some admissions decisions. Best of luck to everyone who applied!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, late February, early March is when they start sending the letter. Some, in the past, emailed or called them early on if they couldn't wait for the letter. (Which is probably what I'll end up doing, myself, haha)

So my family is saying that I'll get homesick if I go all the way to Florida and are kinda iffy. I'm from Chicago, so it's a pretty far trip. (Not as far as you international guys) I'm just wondering how you guys from different countries and states, are going to deal with this if you are accepted?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aresa View Post
    So my family is saying that I'll get homesick if I go all the way to Florida and are kinda iffy. I'm from Chicago, so it's a pretty far trip. (Not as far as you international guys) I'm just wondering how you guys from different countries and states, are going to deal with this if you are accepted?
    I'm from Florida and I got home sick (I live about 4 hours away)

Once you guys are on your own, life can be pretty exciting! But if I remember anything from freshman year it was that feeling of being home sick, I was rather depressed my first 4 or 5 weeks of school.... once I started making friends it became easier of course. We all talked about being homesick too! Har har.... (unless you're lucky and live just 30 min. away like some of my friends here )

Also....

Hint: Make friends with someone who has a car......;D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, aww!

That's good that the homesickness didn't last that long. Did you ever go back home when you were homesick or did you just go with it? My parents are saying that I'll just run back home.

Great hint!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't get homesick it seems, so I won't have to worry about that, fortunately. Don't know why not though, lol. I think I have to worry more about my parents missing me! xD

Yeah, bringing a car from PA to FL is something I'd rather not do (a 23-hour drive from hell D': )! Storage over the summer - any tips on that? I'll probably just rent a storage space with some friends or something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been thinking about this a lot, what to do if I'm accepted and how will I handle living 2,500 miles away from home. I think I'll be OK but then again, I don't really know how I'll react.

For example, I've spent 6 weeks in Japan and only contacted my family twice, I think. Mostly because i had no idea how the hell to use the prepaid phone cards cause they involved punching a whole load of numbers and I could never quite seem to get it. But either way, I wasn't homesick at all in Japan. .

On the other hand, I got SO homesick during my freshman year of college.The college I'm going to is six hours away from where I live, which is not bad at all. I just miss my sister's antic, my dad's fatherly advice (he's kinda awkward on the phone, lol) and my mom's hugs.

BUT, like copperfire said, it tends to go away when you have friends and a whole lot of coursework that needs to be done xD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi everybody~ I almost didn't make it but I did. I got an email they got everything except one recommendation letter.
    My teacher sent the recommendation letter on Jan 14 and it didn't get there until like the day before yesterday...
    Fortunately, everything was cleared up after I sent the admissions counselor an email and got my teacher to email the letter instead and the letter came in that day.
    PHEW. they accepted it and I almost had a heart attack.
    got my portfolio in just in time. I'm a bit dissatisfied since I was uploading in a hurry because I was leaving for the weekend. D:
    I've only posted here once but I feel at home with fellow hopefuls to CA.

Portfolio
    aaahhhhh ; v ;
    Snowstorms have been coming all January, I guess that's why the letter came in such a delay..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    roiducirque!! that portfolio looks awesome! i love the soft quality of the paintings.. and the first still life is my favorite, just for the well-done perspective! =))

my teeth and ambitions are bared - be prepared

Do you believe in this sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was wondering about applying here for next year, as I'm currently half way through my last year of uni in the UK, mustering up the courage to work out the dept I will be in after another course/telling my family I want to spend a further 4 years in art school 4300 miles away. So, pipe dream?

At any rate I think I might be able to help with the homesick issue (despite being from a tiny island) as my uni is 5-9 hours away depending on traffic so I don't go back in term-time at all, only for easter and christmas. I'v never actually been homesick, but I may have been without the internet. Emails, facebook, MSN and especially Skype are the best for keeping up to date with friends and family, webcam chats are far better than phones. I also posted my friend a real life letter with some drawings when she felt sad at uni, and she said it really cheered her up. Talking face to face is for cavemen!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ aresa- I really wanted to at one point hehehehe, but there was just no way to.

@ Addle- yup! There's loads of great storage places around here, the cheapest one I've found was by the airport, I think it was about 40$ for a month (the size was pretty decent too). I have some friends who drive here and home every summer, (mostly from up north, like Ohio for example). I've heard mixed feelings about it.....but they always seem to agree it's worth having their car here.

@pandaduex- Japan! Wow! That sounds like fun! Homesickness is a strange thing, when you're having lots of fun it tends to stay away, but when you're at a new college and you don't know anyone it can set in pretty badly

Also, just a side note, freshman year is actually pretty light as far as the workload goes, so make sure to get around Sarasota and explore, it's the only year you really get the time to There's a place called Jungle Gardens that lets freshman in free, it's within walking distance from the school (it's a little bit of a walk). It's a fantastic place to sketch animals, lots of fun too ! I also love the Ringling Museum, it's free to Ringling Students as well, the gardens there are SO nice. Indian Beach is a straight walk from the school (right across the intersection in front) and hidden back in a small neighborhood. Lots of students like to ride bikes/ walk there, it's really nice in the afternoon sunlight.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd hate to go home after traveling and reaching Ringling. I'll defiantly keep in touch with my family through facebook, phone, etc. so I'm not really worried that much. My parents feel like I won't make it. I hope I can. Ringling is my dream and I want to make it!

Thanks so much for the responses, everyone. Glad I'm not the only one feeling this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My spring semester starts next week and the application due date is near, I'm starting to get really nervous! Okay, quick questions!

- Do you think it's okay to include one of my sketchbook ideas in my porfolio? It's not a rough sketch, it's just a very detailed pencil drawing.

- Do you think it's okay to include one of my works from 3 yrs ago IF I re-work on it and make it better?

- Is there a way to send teacher's recommendation letter online, or can they only be submitted by mail?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a freshman in Game Art at Ringling right now, and I just wanted to mention that only a few of my friends got homesick, and even though I was sure I would (I'm from California), I never did 8I In the first week of school for freshman you have something called Orientation week that takes place a week before everyone else gets to school. I think it's really important that everyone attends Orientation week, because not only do you meet all of your fellow freshman and get to know them, but you get a head start and lots of tips and a ton of important information, and just get ahead and more adjusted to everything overall. The student ambassadors and school REALLY crammed a whole ton of fun events and informational stuff into that first week (stuff for both the kids and parents), and I feel like without it I definitely would've felt really homesick because I wouldn't have met all these great people and been so well immersed and immediately adjusted; they really make you feel at home and apart of the Ringling community and it's SO much fun. From what I've heard, none of the other years had an orientation like ours (they said they really went all-out for us), so I think it made a big difference.

I'm not saying some people still won't be homesick, but it was definitely lessened a whole ton. I don't know anyone who went home because of homesickness. Just letting you guys know, because you seem pretty concerned about it!

If anyone has any other questions, I'd be glad to answer c8

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Tuesday For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by catsmeow View Post
    My spring semester starts next week and the application due date is near, I'm starting to get really nervous! Okay, quick questions!

- Do you think it's okay to include one of my sketchbook ideas in my porfolio? It's not a rough sketch, it's just a very detailed pencil drawing.

- Do you think it's okay to include one of my works from 3 yrs ago IF I re-work on it and make it better?

- Is there a way to send teacher's recommendation letter online, or can they only be submitted by mail?

Thanks in advance!
    Hey, catsmeow!

-I think it'll be alright to include the pencil drawing. As long as it's not a rough sketch and is cleaned up very well.

- I'm not sure. They said it would be best to include the work you have done now or something a year ago. If you redid the whole piece though, I'm sure that's fine.

-Yes. You can send them a email using the commonapp and they can send it online to Ringling. You can always do the 'ol fashioned pencil and paper though.

Hope that helps!

Tuesday- Thanks for that! That makes me feel a bit better.

So, I just got a rejection letter from one of my backup schools. Granted, it was a normal college and I never wanted to attend there in the first place, but it made me worried. I still have to see if my other backup school will accept me or else I'm stuck. Gah. :/

February is almost here! Is it just me, or has January been the LONGEST month, ever?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Aresa!

One more question, is it okay to digitally enhance the lighting of the pictures with photoshop? The colors don't look correct (too desaturated) in the pictures but I don't want to be accused of retouching the work...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^^Just to answer your question, I am pretty sure you can desaturate/saturate the colors (don't go crazy), adjust your monitor, possibly do a test print just in case. I would suggest not adjusting more than 20% of any ratio in photoshop (don't push contrasts/saturations over the natural limit). It's my guess that Ringling admissions may view these on big screens, so, for that reason, don't try to erase out anything on your work. (That would be the only case where I could see it being considered "retouched"... just don't oversaturate/airbrush your work.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Aresa: That freaking sucks. Hopefully your other backup will work out. Is your other backup a normal college as well?

I've applied to community college and two other art schools within PA. I've been accepted to all so now I'm just waiting for Ringling. Scholarship offers haven't been too bad so I'm considering, if I get rejected from Ringling, tossing the idea of attending community college for a year, and instead maybe majoring in illustration at one of the other schools. Then reapplying for Ringling CA again? But that would take forever! I'm not too sure if it's a reasonable plan. -_-;

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, it does. My other backup school is a normal college as well. I don't have any backup art schools, but I think I should try and apply to SAIC, just to see if I can get in.

My grades weren't up to par with their school, which is probably why I got rejected. That's why I'm really worried about Ringling. I just sent an update on my grades because I did really well this past semester and I'm hoping Ringling sees that I am trying.

Enough about me, Congrats on getting accepted, Addle! I think if you REALLY want to do computer animation, try and apply again. I heard CA is a tough program and you really have to be dedicated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Aresa! I've been told you have to be really dedicated in the program as well, so I fear I'm not mentally ready yet. It turns out most of the colleges I've applied to have an orientation date starting August 20th which is my 18th birthday, go figure. Lol!

You should keep trying to get those grades up! Your art is great so it would be a shame if your grades would pull you down. Hopefully we'll both be there this coming fall!

Last edited by Addle; January 31st, 2011 at 06:09 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Aresa
    Rejection letters SUCK. I know the feeling. I got one (from secretly top choice school, LOL. Didn't want to tell anyone though) and I cried u____u;. But I looked on the bright side and it actually ended up being better for me.

And don't think of it as being "stuck"... I mean worse case scenario would be being rejected from all colleges BUT, think of it as one more year to hone your skills so you can be even more amazing. We're still young, with lots of things left to learn, so waiting off a year can be blessing if taken in the right manner.

@Addle,
    Congrats! That's exciting to hear that you got offered scholarships at your other schools. Hopefully you'll get an acceptance letter from Ringling as well. Crossing my fingers for you guys!
    But you're saying, if you're rejected, to toss out the idea of Community College. I wouldn't rule that out completely, because you can follow Copperfire's route and knock out the liberal arts courses so you have more room to take electives at Ringling. (and in hindsight, a year isn't too long C; )

But hopefully, ya'll are accepted! Then we can all throw a party here, lol.

--
    Anyway, enough about back up plans!! I've always been curious and I figured I should ask; Why animation? Has it been a lifelong dream? And why Ringling? Other than its reputation, why is this school your top choice?

I always love reading about where people's passions originate from and it's always interesting to share C:.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pandadeux For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aww, sorry about that, pandaduex. Rejection does suck. That is true about taking a year off, and will probably be my route if worst comes to worst.

Aww, thank you! I really hope we get to be classmates, Addle! *crosses fingers*

Ah! Interesting question! Well, for, I've always loved animation. Growing up with the classic Disney movies, I told myself, "I want to do that!" I loved cartoons growing up (still do) and the video games that surrounded me, that it made me start drawing. I grew to love telling stories as well. I used to make tons and tons of books that were just random adventures, but that kept me drawing every single day. My and my sisters would do this and we would swap books to look at our different stories. I just love telling stories through my art and have people have a emotional connection with it. I just had this happen with my final project for IB Art. When it was hanging up, people actually had a different response to it instead of "how nice". They went "aww". One girl said that she felt like tearing up. THAT response was a big deal to me. That is what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. Just instead of still images, these characters can move, breath, talk, and have emotions. I LOVE emotions and it is the first thing I try to pull from my characters. Whether it be happy, sad, angry, etc. I love the emotions we have and I try to apply that to my art.

I chose Ringling over Calarts (which was my first choice) because of its location and the fact that I get to learn both traditional and computer animation. I am a traditional animation junkie all the way but I actually would love to learn both methods. I've seen some beautiful and heartfelt computer animation. In the end, it doesn't matter whether it's traditional or computer, story should always come first.

Sorry if that was a long read, as cheesy as it was. I love talking about animation, haha.

Last edited by Aresa; February 1st, 2011 at 12:13 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I chose Ringling over Calarts (which was my first choice) because of its location and the fact that I get to learn both traditional and computer animation. I am a traditional animation junkie all the way but I actually would love to learn both methods.
    You learn both at Calarts too. You can take classes in computer animation, but the program focuses on traditional animation. At Ringling, you take Traditional Animation I & II in the first and second year, so you're still learning it, but just the basics. So when deciding between the schools, you need to decide on whether you'd like to focus on the traditional or the computer-generated aspects of it.

http://www.ringling.edu/CA-Curriculum.180.0.html
    http://filmvideo.calarts.edu/program...cter-animation

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Stefanie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, true, a year isn't long at all. Copperfire's advice is still being seriously considered.

Why animation? It's funny actually because my stepfather hates animation - he's banned my younger sister from watching cartoons. I grew up watching Disney movies on my mother's laser-disc player. Animation wasn't really important to me then. When I was six, my father bought a Playstation for Christmas (consequently, this was how I learned to read). I was enthralled by the storytelling, music, and artwork of games like Final Fantasy IX, Legend of Mana, Chrono Cross, and Breath of Fire IV. Let's just say I'd learned fast that composing music wasn't for me. Game design also isn't my thing - programming, level design, ehhh. Drawing has always been something I love, and you can use it to convey a message so for a long time I thought I would be an illustrator or concept artist. There's just something about film though that I keep coming back to. I love the process necessary to create a film. I've been fascinated by storytelling and character development, and seeing how computer animation has been evolving over the years has just naturally drawn me towards it. Concept, storyboarding, animation, lighting - there's just something there that makes me think: I want to do that.

As for why Ringling, I heard about it at my older sister's college orientation (although the woman who mentioned it only told me it was some art college in Florida). I visited their site, saw precollege, and saw it as an opportunity to visit. I took both the Illustration and CA workshop. While I enjoyed the Illustration workshop, the CA workshop was my favorite. We were introduced to Maya, and I just loved the program. Not to mention I've become attached to the school itself.

I hope that doesn't sound stupid or long-winded.

Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 11