Ringling College of Art and Design 2011 hopefuls

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ringling College of Art and Design 2011 hopefuls

Start of 2011 Hopefuls...READ ALL OF THIS IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST TIME HERE updated July 20, 2010.

And will start it off with some great tips from Meloncov from 2009's thread and Ti

Quoted by Meloncov
    ...Some notes on applications, garnered while I was at Ringling pre-college. Some of it may be more relevant to computer animation than other majors.

Portfolio:

Most of your portfolio should be drawings from life. The website says at least half; seventy five percent would be safer.

It's okay to have some concept art stuff, as long as it is good and reasonably original. Just be sure to get critiques on your work, and avoid stereotypes such as dragons and unicorns.

Same goes for 3d computer work. Also, keep in mind that the more complex a model or animation, the more likely it is to have visible flaws. A simple, effective piece will help you, while an ambitious but imperfect piece will hurt you.

Include only your best work; don't feel obligated to show a vast quantity or huge variety.

That being said, if you have top notch pieces in a variety of mediums, include them all. If you've invested the time to become good in many media, show it off.

Some of your work can be stylized, but avoid using other peoples styles, especially anime.

Grades/Recommendation Letters/Test Scores:
    While secondary to the portfolio, grades do play a significant part in admissions. Likewise for letters of recommendation. While you don't have to submit standardized test scores, the people in admissions say that they never hurt and sometimes help an applicant.

Essay:

While the essay is less important than any of the above factors, it can be a deciding factor for a borderline applicant. Try to be entertaining; if you can entertain them with writing, it's more likely you'll be able to entertain on canvas or film. Don't try to suck up, and don't include any variation on "ever since I sax X, I've wanted to be an animator/concept artist/whatever." (supposedly, in order to make reading that sentence hundreds of times more bearable, they read it in a funny voice whenever the encounter it).

Also, the essay is your chance to explain any extracurriculars that you think should help you get in.[/QUOTE]

For GPAs that have recieved scholarships run from minimum 3.5 - 4.0 But from reading and people have posted for the last few years is too shoot for that 4.0 with 3.8 as a minimum if you want to be in the running for the big scholarships.
    From even more previous threads...still info that applies..good read.
    Quoted by Onceuponastar back a few years...

Students will explore the challenges of creating visual art for gaming audiences and develop a game-based senior thesis as an entry into the world of interactive entertainment.

The Game Art & Design major brings Ringling School's feature film aesthetic to games. You'll begin by studying the basics of game design – meaningful play, player interaction and options for creating and refining game content. You'll go on to study multiple narrative, interactive narrative and character structures in relationship to gaming environments. You'll also understand the influence of games on society and their enormous potential to educate as well as entertain. Above all, Game Art & Design is more than creating entertainment. It's creating an experience.

The following info was taken from the old Ringling 2006 Thread

Quote:
    random facts/info/tips etc.

-The number of freshmen is about 400 with a total of about 1100-1200 students
    -70% of students recieve some form of financial aid
    -Computer animation major is a little more selective then other majors
    -Ringling prepares you for 3d animation by teaching you traditional first
    -MUST make half of your portfolio life drawings, and FINISH them. They frown upon sketches
    -Ringling seems to like figures and self portraits a lot
    -Be careful submitting a portfolio with really light shading.
    -Ringling puts AP credit towards electives.
    -To send in your art work scan it in or take slides. If you make a DVD or CD make it really easy to find the work because the faculty looking at it may become grumpy and not give your work the time it deserves.

The following info was taken from the old Ringling 2005 Thread
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sula_nebouxi
    Official requirements:
    Ringling requires a portfolio of artwork which ranges from 10 pieces(if you're in high school) and 15 (if you're transferring). In addition 2 pieces from each studio course must be included if you want credit for it. At least half of the artwork must be done from direct observation. Ringling also requires an essay and 2 letters of recommendation. You need to have a high school GPA of at least 2.0, not sure about college GPA if you're transferring, but I'm guessing it's the same. SAT scores are not required, but they may help if they are high. An essay is also required on one of the following subjects:
    1. The creation of art is the result of many influences. Who or what has most influenced your work? In what way?
    2. Discuss your goals as an artist or designer. How will attending Ringling School of Art and Design help you achieve your goals?
    3. Discuss a local, national or international issue that is important to you. How would you address it in a work of art?
    4. Describe an important experience that has shaped you as a person and as an artist.

Unofficial requirements(Or probably what they like to see, in no order)

-Figure studies and still lifes, lots of them. When Ringling means observation from life they mean this. -Don't ignore composition in still lifes, they can turn a dull piece into something really interesting to look at.
    -Be very careful in including 3d work, only include it if your 2d skills are top notch and even then only include a few, and even then still, only include it if it kicks ass.
    -Be diverse. Include a little bit of everything, by which I mean different mediums. Paintings, charcoal, pencil, etc...
    -I've heard from a person who got in that a representative from Ringling said they like to see motion studies, and that you have some understanding of animation or movement (ie walk cycles, the bouncing ball)
    -No storyboards. Stick to observational drawings.
    -Scanning drawings can be a bad thing. Use slide film or a good digital camera in good lighting.
    -It is possible that attending a college prep/precollege program will increase your chances of getting in. The official requirements stated that they like to see that you have taken a bunch of studio art and art history courses prior to going to Ringling.
    -Plan to spend LOTS of time with your drawings, expect to spend at the very least 6hrs on each one. It's grueling but the amount of effort will show in your work.
    -Your current GPA and portfolio are key to getting in. If you have a very high GPA(3.5 and up) you can probably get by with a decent portfolio, if you show potential. But if your GPA is low(between 2.0 and 3.0), your portfolio must be fantastic to offset the GPA. GPA's are important because they show that you are willing to work hard to improve. And also because academics are also important to Ringling.
    -Your essay is also very important. It may tell a bit about you that your drawings cannot. To a lesser extent it also shows that you can put words together to form a sentence . Your essay should have a sense of eagerness to work hard, humility, no arrogance, and don't say something like "If I don't get in that's fine, I can do it on my own". They might think "OK, next!".
    -Ringling wants to see a few things above all else: Potential, drive, creativity, skill, and your personality shine through your portfolio.
    -Not sure if this matters too much but, do your drawings on a nice unwrinkled sheet of paper with no rips or tears or whatnot.
    -Showing contrast in drawings is a must. Have a large range of values in your drawings. It's never good to just have grays in your drawings. Include dark blacks and bright whites.
    -Play to your strengths. If you have weak figure studies, try not to include too many of them. Instead include what you are good at. Just don't neglect the observational art.
    -Show only your best. Including bad or relatively average drawings can hurt your chances. It kinda gives a rushed feeling and they may think you aren't consistent with your work. Even if you have very few pieces, it's better than filling it out with mediocre work.
    -Try not to wait until the last minute to send in the portolio, while they may be lenient on this, it doesn't hurt not to take any chances.
    -Quick gestures may be a good idea to include. Maybe a large sheet full of them.
    -Ringling likes to see creative works alongside the observational stuff. Show them what you are interested in. Remember, this portfolio is supposed to show who you are.
    -Ringling, and most other art schools for that matter, don't want to see comic/manga style work. It's hard to be original with those kinds of styles. They also do not want to see stuff drawn from photos. Usually a trained eye can notice whether or not something has been photographed beforehand.

Random Info: (Also in no order)
    -You should get your response from Ringling between the end of February and mid-March. It seems to depend on how many have applied and when and if you get weeded out(sorry if that sounded harsh).
    -It doesn't really matter if your drawings are done on large paper or small paper. Whatever you're comfortable with.
    -Solid foundation in art goes a long way. Understanding the human body will help tremdously in creating not just realistic works but believable ones.
    -You can call the computer animation department to see if you have been accpeted. Sometimes they can check for you. Or they might give in from all the requests
    -To be eligible for the Presidential scholarship(all expenses paid) you must complete your application and submit your FAFSA by March 1st. It goes to one person from each major and depends on your entrance portfolio. It only goes to the best.
    -Unconfirmed: You can reduce your tuition by working as a Resident Advisor in the dorms. By doing this you do not have to pay for housing. That's $5000 less each year you have to pay.
    -Freshmen are required to have a meal plan, after freshmen year you do not have to have one. This is because Freshmen dorms do not have a kitchen.
    -FEWS is a great extra-curricular activity. Kids get together and just draw live models. Perfect for those who want to improve their skills.
    -There are LOTS of scholarships out there. Pretty much every major corporation has one(it's a nice tax write off) Target, McDonald's, Taco Bell etc...It is possible to pay off a major part of your tuition with just scholarships. Check fastweb.com, lots of scholarships are available for those that just graduated high school and those who are undergraduates in college. Hell...I found a scholarship just for atheists.
    -Word is, the Keating Freshmen dorms are full of fresh out of high school partiers. It will be loud and hard to concentrate on work there. Look into "family housing" or check to see if you can transfer into the Quads or Bayou dorms. Quads are also considered to be the nicest of the dorms so, if you're transferring in as a freshman and you have transfer credits and you are older than a traditional freshman, you have a good chance of getting in there. The Cove is supposedly quiet but it's quite a walk to the main campus.

Hmm...I think that pretty much sums up the last Ringling thread. Just remember to do your best and don't ever give up! Oh, and if you don't get in immediately, don't worry. Get on the waiting list and usually a couple people who got accpeted choose not to attend. It seems the wait list position can be anywhere from 3 to 10. Wow this took quite a while to write...well...anyways good luck...we'll need it.

Ringling Students on Conceptart.org [ I loved this part! ]
    Ringling 2007 hopefuls
    thesinfulsaint ACCEPTED
    rblitz7 ACCEPTED
    Richter ACCEPTED
    artmessiah ACCEPTED
    StxSwanson ACCEPTED
    Atsurou88 ACCEPTED
    Lahlah ACCEPTED
    Nilaffle ACCEPTED
    Gbertek ACCEPTED
    Panda
    Tamte
    Lieu

Last edited by NewGuy22; April 11th, 2011 at 11:43 PM. Reason: add
    "If you want something. Go get it. Period."

Sketchbook : http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=151856&page=4
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NewGuy22 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm flattered that my advice in considered so enduring.

Also, you linked to the 2009 thread, not 2010.

Last edited by Meloncov; July 20th, 2010 at 07:08 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Meloncov For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The ringling 100

Seems like just yesterday we were gathering all the information we could for the 2005 Hopefuls thread.... where has the time gone?

Good Luck everyone! The people you meet on boards like this will be your friends for years to come if you guys hang in there and work your asses off. Is it all worth it? Yes, but only if you work harder then you've ever worked in your entire life.

Wanted to also drop by and show you a book project made by Ringling Students, Alumni, and Faculty that we've been working on for the last 2 years. 100% of the profits go towards making scholarships for Ringling students. So if you know people that like awesome art books spread the word. It might help you out one day!

THE RINGLING 100
    http://www.blurb.com/books/1476592

My Little Art Blog

THE RINGLING 100

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to us." --Gandalf

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello everyone, not much to say (for once). i'm a hopeful, i guess for 2011 (the enrollment process makes all the years get confusing to me) and i guess i'm flip-flopping between going into CA or GAD if i get in at all. basically, i'm one of those really confused people, just trying right now to make my portfolio better. hopefully as time goes on, and i talk to more of you guys, i'll become more sure.
    what i do know is that i would definitely like to go to ringling, so for that reason, i gladly say, hello all you fellow hopefuls!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! I'm hoping to transfer to Ringling for fall 2011 for their illustration program. Right now I'm at community college, and taking various art and liberal art courses. I'm a little worried about my portfolio, but I guess I have several months to improve it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm in the same boat as Gabbyness- trying to improve my portfolio, and at a community college looking to transfer.
    I plan to go in as a sophomore to either Advertising Design or Graphic Design. I'm still torn between those two, but luckily their first 4 semesters are pretty similar.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol im in the same yaht as you two. i just started community college in of simply tryna get my portfolio better and mke my freshman year at ringling easier.
    hope to see you two there next year

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good luck you guys! I'll try and poke my head in here this year and offer any advice that I can. I was hanging around here for the 2009 thread, but I vanished as CA took over (I'm a junior next year). I was a transfer student from a community college myself, so for those of you thinking about transferring, I'm happy to try and answer questions, but of course, the best thing you can do is ask admissions what will and will not transfer from a community college, I should have done that from the beginning, but I ended up taking a lot of classes that didn't transfer (like writing and math classes).

I'd also strongly suggest for any of you thinking about going into CA, that you take a maya class (if they offer them at your community college) and get the basics of maya down (like moving around the interface). It will help greatly and best of all, will show you a sneak peek of what you're getting yourself into ;D

good luck everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh! I'm glad other people are in the same position . I was wondering if anyone knew if transfers usually place as freshman? I've seen people talk about using transfer credits just to lighten their workload. Honestly I would probably feel more comfortable as a freshman, building up from the foundation courses...although I'm not sure i like the idea of graduating at 25 :/.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbyness View Post
    Oh! I'm glad other people are in the same position . I was wondering if anyone knew if transfers usually place as freshman? I've seen people talk about using transfer credits just to lighten their workload. Honestly I would probably feel more comfortable as a freshman, building up from the foundation courses...although I'm not sure i like the idea of graduating at 25 :/.
    Most likely you will transfer in as a freshman People have transferred in as sophomores, but it's very difficult, especially if you are going into CA.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm currently going to be a sophomore at a small early college that allows kids to essentially drop out of high school early and go straight to college; although it's a four-year program, it also allows students to go there for two years, get an AA, and then transfer to a different school.
    I'm hoping for that school to be Ringling!

Anybody else that went to the open house way back in October?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by copperfire View Post
    Most likely you will transfer in as a freshman People have transferred in as sophomores, but it's very difficult, especially if you are going into CA.
    Lol thanks. Yeah, I kind of figured.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by copperfire View Post
    Good luck you guys! I'll try and poke my head in here this year and offer any advice that I can. I was hanging around here for the 2009 thread, but I vanished as CA took over (I'm a junior next year). I was a transfer student from a community college myself, so for those of you thinking about transferring, I'm happy to try and answer questions, but of course, the best thing you can do is ask admissions what will and will not transfer from a community college, I should have done that from the beginning, but I ended up taking a lot of classes that didn't transfer (like writing and math classes).

I'd also strongly suggest for any of you thinking about going into CA, that you take a maya class (if they offer them at your community college) and get the basics of maya down (like moving around the interface). It will help greatly and best of all, will show you a sneak peek of what you're getting yourself into ;D

good luck everyone!
    Could you or anyone tell me what classes you should take that can be transferred?
    I plan on going for illustration. I've called admissions many times and found that its difficult to talk to someone who knows something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It depends, Ringling is finicky with transfer credits. You can call up or email the registrar's office and they can provide you with a list of online colleges they'll accept credit from. You might also be able to read off the course description and they can tell you if it'll transfer or not.

Also, send an email to Patricia Handy. She's one of the Academic Advisors at Ringling and can probably answer those types of questions better than I can. Her address is phandy at ringling.edu.

Oh, I was a transfer student too . I took 3 years of college already and had only 39 credits transfer. Yeahhh...39 out of 96, not a very good number. I highly recommend taking some classes outside of Ringling though. The fewer classes you have, the less you'll have to worry about. Last thing you need is a paper due the same day as a major animation project .

And Hett...damn man. 7 of these threads you've been poking your head in. Just can't get away can you? . (btw, I met Hett on these very boards, graduated together and we still can't get away from each other )

Copperfire too! Lol...get back to work you! *whip crack* (I keep her in line lol). But yeah, I soooorta met copper on here too. And we're still really close even though I only knew her for a short year, *sniffles*.

It's true what Hett says, the people you meet here can be your friends for life. Work as hard as you can and get yourself noticed. Do us proud

"So now we have modeled something that will get us nowhere in life"

18. The Following User Says Thank You to sula_nebouxi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pfffft, telling me to get to work eh sula? ....
    Yes sir D:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it seems as though all of us this upcoming acceptance session are going to be Community College students. lol, i too am in CC, trying to raise my GPA and get the motivation and classes to help me make a better portfolio. I don't know though that i should be too concerned with transferring classes though. i don't want to take a class in CC, "get it out of the way", but only have a mediocre community college understanding of the information. i think i'd rather take a course twice, and make sure i have the information needed to progress in Ringling, rather than not know all the terms or have as good an understanding as some of my peers, but still have, on paper, a passing knowledge of the information.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sula_nebouxi View Post
    It depends, Ringling is finicky with transfer credits. You can call up or email the registrar's office and they can provide you with a list of online colleges they'll accept credit from. You might also be able to read off the course description and they can tell you if it'll transfer or not.

Also, send an email to Patricia Handy. She's one of the Academic Advisors at Ringling and can probably answer those types of questions better than I can. Her address is phandy at ringling.edu.

Oh, I was a transfer student too . I took 3 years of college already and had only 39 credits transfer. Yeahhh...39 out of 96, not a very good number. I highly recommend taking some classes outside of Ringling though. The fewer classes you have, the less you'll have to worry about. Last thing you need is a paper due the same day as a major animation project .

And Hett...damn man. 7 of these threads you've been poking your head in. Just can't get away can you? . (btw, I met Hett on these very boards, graduated together and we still can't get away from each other )

Copperfire too! Lol...get back to work you! *whip crack* (I keep her in line lol). But yeah, I soooorta met copper on here too. And we're still really close even though I only knew her for a short year, *sniffles*.

It's true what Hett says, the people you meet here can be your friends for life. Work as hard as you can and get yourself noticed. Do us proud
    Thankyou!
    =D I will e-mail her right away. I went to the orientation at my Comm. college today to learn how to sign up for classes. I ended up making an appointment with an advisor on the 4th because I have no idea what to sign up for. A friend of mine is doing the same thing which makes me feel a lot better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well Ill say my hi as well! A 2012 hopeful here sadly. And I as well am in the same boat as everyone. I will be starting freshmen c.c. this fall/spring to get some transfer credits and to materialize a gpa from thin air. That portfolio thing - ya...myself and I are going to have to work really hard to start producing the quality needed to advance here..so engaged.

But what you have read is true. If you stay here and we all help push each other acceptance is very possible and sometimes the scholarship winners are here as well!

Okay...off to find some references...my current sketchgroups are unreasonable lengths away and for the time being need to save the money and just reference. (2hrs in each direction 4 times a week is not reasonable...) 2400 miles a month is not reasonable..poor car. (i def have been doing this for a while..) That has to stop.

Bah. Okay..get working..yall..and start sketchbooks here if you have not/post blogs. Peace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by NewGuy22 View Post
    Bah. Okay..get working..yall..and start sketchbooks here if you have not/post blogs. Peace
    Yeah I really need to start one. I did awhile ago, but just completely abandoned it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gabbyness i think you are the only one of the 3 or 4 of yall that actually made one..i was curious where i stood against yall but apparently no one has made one but you...which i bookmarked. =p

Get to it...Im slow on the posts atm..but will start uploading today and can count on daily posts...got to crack some whips and get myself going. =p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nooooo! don't look at that...darn now I'll actually have to update it...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by NewGuy22 View Post
    Okay you.

Um - I can't judge your acrylics(?) posts because I have no understanding of color yet. I do see that throughout all entries there is a similarity...lack of anatomy and value(?) - lacking depth from dark to light...aka...its a grey sketch instead of 4 different levels of shading. Easy fix! We follow these anatomy books! and their free on the web! So print print print*! :: Bridgman's "Constructive Anatomy" http://www.scribd.com/doc/4461737/Co...eorge-Bridgman and Loomis "Drawing for all its worth" http://www.scribd.com/doc/2433658/An...-All-its-Worth I actually will be following this book http://www.scribd.com/doc/6641659/Th...mon-Nicolaides to learn eye-hand coordination along with line quality ...as I slowly progress through bridgman and loomis' books.

If you would like to do them along with me...I'm all for it. There is a girl here that progressed through the "natural way to draw.." who what got the presidential last year for computer animation? look into it...it will show you more along the lines of what youw ill be doing...at the end of that specific book is when the author wants you to start actually copying anatomy and learning bones/muscles...which by that time she was already about to start school. Line quality, proportion, flow, value is what I'm going to try for first...then slowly work specifics and color, perspective...

Get's a readin'... =)
    Left this on Gabbyness' sketchbook thread...if any care to follow along with for studies/etc let me know please. Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, Patricia Handy sent me this nifty page listing academic classes that are transferable to Ringling. It really helped. So far I am going to take oceanography, drawing I and US history. She said a totally of 10 academic classes are required for graduation at Ringling so I guess I will get 6 of those done this year and maybe more if I sign up for a summer semester at my comm. college.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by coolbeans View Post
    Okay, Patricia Handy sent me this nifty page listing academic classes that are transferable to Ringling. It really helped. So far I am going to take oceanography, drawing I and US history. She said a totally of 10 academic classes are required for graduation at Ringling so I guess I will get 6 of those done this year and maybe more if I sign up for a summer semester at my comm. college.
    Could you send me the list? Or maybe post it here? I would be grateful .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can add me to the accepted list lol

Super excited. Never looked forward to school work before

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ya same..interested in a list ..and

Heck Ya drd! I've been following you man..Love your stuff...i think i have the same interest..illustration right? I think i was looking at your blog today..you had some things you made for logos...all organic or soemthing..etc...

Gratz =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good luck everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

33. The Following User Says Thank You to coolbeans For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Does anyone know if online classes are transferable? I know that studio classes wouldn't but just the academic stuff. So far I'm taking classes at two different campuses of my comm. college. I don't have a car so working around my mom's work schedule is really difficult.

Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 8