Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Little update. Drew in the offspring/birth part of it, but I'm afraid it's too small and
    I've lost the readability of it. :/ Eh, not sure what to do.

But yeah, the "cloud eater" has its young gestate on the sides of its neck in protective
    sacks filled with collected water and embryonic fluid. The process takes place as far
    up as the creature can physically go, as the newborn must learn to fly before it hits
    the ground. A jarring start in this world for sure, but it also ensures that only the strong
    and deserving survive.

C.O.W. #184_Air-Born Acrobat_Wip Thread

Detail:

C.O.W. #184_Air-Born Acrobat_Wip Thread

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,532 Times in 544 Posts
    Farquad, your image quality is good enough that just boosting the size of your final a couple hundred pixels should do. You may want to define the youth a bit more by either desaturating it a bit, or doing something to define it's skin tone as different. Many scaled animals don't take on the tone of their parents immediately. Don't think you've lost readability, though, and it looks great.

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I wont continue my sketches, it's been a stressful week and I'm going on vacation tomorrow.
    Feel free to use them if you want to.

Sketchbook
    Now crit the shit out of me!

Thanks
    Looks like I will be trying to hit this round this week. Here's a quick sketch of the adult form. The child will be smaller, with a larger head-wing ratio and fewer appendages. The matriarchs will be much larger and have large egg sacks on their backs. I'm thinking there will be a vast quantity of fin appendages on the matriarchs.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Nice one Si Swe.

I already made a few sketches and stuff, but I don't have time atm to scan & post them. They'll come tonight.
    I'll go for a glassy creature that slowly breaks as it gets older, sprouting feathers or hairs from beneath the glassy exteriour (from aerodinamic to fluffball). It prolly has something to do w/ spreading seeds. i dunno yet.

By the way, is there anyone who has a tutorial about rendering glassy materials in their tabs? I'd look for it tonight, but if anyone has a link ready it would be nice.

Thanks
    @Si_Swe: Ok thanks, good idea. Yeah, viewing it in a larger size helps a lot. Loving your initial desgin btw,
    very organic looking. Lots'o'potential there.

@YUZworks: Personally, I find tutorials useful on how to use particular tools, which is not necessarily applicable
    to whatever your painting. I feel like studying and analyzing actual glass objects would be way more beneficial to you.
    Idk, just my lowly opinion.

And also, a question on composition here. How are you guys handling the three stages of life? I'm having a hard time
    creating a scene in which all three are interacting/demonstrating their differences. Are you making three separate
    pictures, or making a coherent picture with all stages of life? Just curious.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Farquad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Farquad, what I'll be attempting to do is make two images. The first will be the intermediate/adulthood one, featuring the base design I showed earlier. The second image will feature both the young and the matriarchal older ones. I supposed three images could work together, or one if you could make it coherent. I suppose it's whatever each artist can make work.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Some really cool ideas guys!

About composition - I think Si_Swe already hit it. I'm thinking I can put them all into one image and make it work, however the time crunch is on.

I'm thinking of a an upright flying animal with two sets of wings, lightweight hollow bones and a pouch to support young until they can fly.

The larger wings are used for daytime flight, and the hummingbird like wings allow the creature to stay suspended in the air while the body rests. I'm hoping a subconscious ability to keep fluttering and the ability to fully heal the smaller wings while awake will go over your heads

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jakers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here's a WIP on the Intermediate stage. I'm disappointed there aren't more people jumping on this topic. I'll really have to try hard to finish on this one, since I only actually have until thursday...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks

update

here's some thoughts...

si swe:seriously! this place has been a ghost town the last couple days. post some wips everyone! your piece is coming along nice. cool design. I'm interested what the other forms will be!

jakers: awesome sketches man! good idea putting them all in one illustration, i wish i had done that but i always have to take the hard road hahaha. cant wait to see it finished up!

farquad:i don't think your problem is size. but that the young one is running into a weird tangent. the ridge along the side of the adult has a light plane that goes directly into the young ones fins shape. same width, or pretty close. it reads like a continuation of the ridge so that as a viewer you have to really investigate whats happening there. maybe just move the young one up or down slightly, and give it a lighter overall tone so it separates itself from the adult. just some ideas. other then that you're seriously kicking ass so far. great job!

here's where I'm at. one more illustration to go! i think i may do some more to these before i turn in as well.

Name:  airborn acrobat (youth2).jpg
Views: 847
Size:  155.3 KB

i think i still need some more work on this next one for sure.

Name:  airborn acrobat (adulthood).jpg
Views: 849
Size:  100.1 KB

crits are welcome, and like i said before, POST SOME WIPS PEOPLE!

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to (lark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Farquad, i'll try to do some studies =D

As for the rest... it's a mess here.
    I'm working 61 hours a week, and now i've got a dual PC crash. (no network/link between them)
    All the internetz i've got is during my break at work... i'll try to scan and upload some sketches tomorrow, and i'll do my best to get photoshop back online so i can finish this week... i really want to get this one done!

Hopefully more soon

Thanks
    @ Farquad: I figured it out finally. The "embryonic liquid" looks too much like water imo. It needs to look more reddish I think.

Anyways, I started coloring this little guy and started to work out the baby.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to IronicTrout For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,905 Times in 438 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by (lark View Post

seriously! this place has been a ghost town the last couple days. post some wips everyone!
    Yeah, where the hell is everyone? The COW does experience its fair share of ups and downs though so maybe there are some lurkers out there just waiting to drop the bomb. We shall see.

Looking great (lark!

As to your question Farquad, I'd say it could go either way. As long as the three depictions are easy to read, do whatever suits ya.

Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

22. The Following User Says Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1