C.O.W. #184_Air-Born Acrobat_Wip Thread - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice one Si Swe.

I already made a few sketches and stuff, but I don't have time atm to scan & post them. They'll come tonight.
    I'll go for a glassy creature that slowly breaks as it gets older, sprouting feathers or hairs from beneath the glassy exteriour (from aerodinamic to fluffball). It prolly has something to do w/ spreading seeds. i dunno yet.

By the way, is there anyone who has a tutorial about rendering glassy materials in their tabs? I'd look for it tonight, but if anyone has a link ready it would be nice.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Si_Swe: Ok thanks, good idea. Yeah, viewing it in a larger size helps a lot. Loving your initial desgin btw,
    very organic looking. Lots'o'potential there.

@YUZworks: Personally, I find tutorials useful on how to use particular tools, which is not necessarily applicable
    to whatever your painting. I feel like studying and analyzing actual glass objects would be way more beneficial to you.
    Idk, just my lowly opinion.

And also, a question on composition here. How are you guys handling the three stages of life? I'm having a hard time
    creating a scene in which all three are interacting/demonstrating their differences. Are you making three separate
    pictures, or making a coherent picture with all stages of life? Just curious.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Farquad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 542 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Farquad, what I'll be attempting to do is make two images. The first will be the intermediate/adulthood one, featuring the base design I showed earlier. The second image will feature both the young and the matriarchal older ones. I supposed three images could work together, or one if you could make it coherent. I suppose it's whatever each artist can make work.

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some really cool ideas guys!

About composition - I think Si_Swe already hit it. I'm thinking I can put them all into one image and make it work, however the time crunch is on.

I'm thinking of a an upright flying animal with two sets of wings, lightweight hollow bones and a pouch to support young until they can fly.

The larger wings are used for daytime flight, and the hummingbird like wings allow the creature to stay suspended in the air while the body rests. I'm hoping a subconscious ability to keep fluttering and the ability to fully heal the smaller wings while awake will go over your heads

Attached Images Attached Images  

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jakers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a WIP on the Intermediate stage. I'm disappointed there aren't more people jumping on this topic. I'll really have to try hard to finish on this one, since I only actually have until thursday...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update

here's some thoughts...

si swe:seriously! this place has been a ghost town the last couple days. post some wips everyone! your piece is coming along nice. cool design. I'm interested what the other forms will be!

jakers: awesome sketches man! good idea putting them all in one illustration, i wish i had done that but i always have to take the hard road hahaha. cant wait to see it finished up!

farquad:i don't think your problem is size. but that the young one is running into a weird tangent. the ridge along the side of the adult has a light plane that goes directly into the young ones fins shape. same width, or pretty close. it reads like a continuation of the ridge so that as a viewer you have to really investigate whats happening there. maybe just move the young one up or down slightly, and give it a lighter overall tone so it separates itself from the adult. just some ideas. other then that you're seriously kicking ass so far. great job!

here's where I'm at. one more illustration to go! i think i may do some more to these before i turn in as well.

Name:  airborn acrobat (youth2).jpg
Views: 844
Size:  155.3 KB

i think i still need some more work on this next one for sure.

Name:  airborn acrobat (adulthood).jpg
Views: 846
Size:  100.1 KB

crits are welcome, and like i said before, POST SOME WIPS PEOPLE!

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to (lark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Farquad, i'll try to do some studies =D

As for the rest... it's a mess here.
    I'm working 61 hours a week, and now i've got a dual PC crash. (no network/link between them)
    All the internetz i've got is during my break at work... i'll try to scan and upload some sketches tomorrow, and i'll do my best to get photoshop back online so i can finish this week... i really want to get this one done!

Hopefully more soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Farquad: I figured it out finally. The "embryonic liquid" looks too much like water imo. It needs to look more reddish I think.

Anyways, I started coloring this little guy and started to work out the baby.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to IronicTrout For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,870 Times in 419 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by (lark View Post

seriously! this place has been a ghost town the last couple days. post some wips everyone!
    Yeah, where the hell is everyone? The COW does experience its fair share of ups and downs though so maybe there are some lurkers out there just waiting to drop the bomb. We shall see.

Looking great (lark!

As to your question Farquad, I'd say it could go either way. As long as the three depictions are easy to read, do whatever suits ya.

Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

17. The Following User Says Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, the extra week really slowed this thing down. hooray for procrastination! but no, its bad. ive still been doing my studies, though not as much as i would have liked so far. started off with frogs. almost done with that, so ill move on to other amphibians next. also been doing 60 second figure drawing on posemaniacs.com (its the shit). i might start a sketchbook soon and post it once i finish the froggies...and actually find out how to make a sketchbook (regard that as a question). have fun guys!
    ps: ill try to drop some crits later tonight

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    (lark - Looking really fantastic. The one thing I'm seeing, though is that the adult vs. the youth looks less like a difference in age and more like a different methods of locomotion for the creature at the same age. I really like seeing that narrative element to it and it really helps me get into this creature, but the whole youth/adult/old age thing isn't coming across to me. The other thing I'm seeing is that the spines on their backs are looking a little bit foggy, if they were a bit crisper you'd be sittin' pretty.

IronicTrout - Keep in going! Looking forward to seeing how you evolve the design.

scorge - I suppose that's true, but it's nice to see the wips. It allows us to see how other work, and it let's us try and help people out as well as get feedback on ours. Let's hope for some lurkers to come out; and hey, I always love it when you drop off some hot creature design (wink wink?).

Anyways, here's where I'm at with the adult. I'm going to leave it alone for a while while I work on the matriarch and the youth.

Name:  COW184_Flight.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  305.5 KB

Here's a sketch on the matriarch youth front...

Name:  COW184_flight2.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  104.6 KB

Last edited by Si_Swe; July 27th, 2010 at 12:22 AM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    si swe: i hear what you're sayin about the creatures not seeming very different in age. the different forms you see are forms that the creature makes everyday throughout their entire lives. the balloon form is for rising, also for a chance to sleep. and once it reaches a very high altitude it releases the hot air it captured at a low altitude, and glides slowly down again in the other form. the process taking a day. just making some clarification, in case the illustration was reading weird as a narrative. i did decide to make the young a more pinkish raw color to give a bit more age differentiation. enough about me though, your color is looking rad! love the glowing bits. I'm interested to see how you explain its connection to electricity. it seems like it has a lot to do with how it flies?

here's the changes to the young. not sure how i feel about it yet. it may be to colorful or something. hmm any ideas?

Name:  airborn acrobat (youth2).jpg
Views: 705
Size:  156.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I only have one real idea on how to make them look younger and I don't know if I'd want you to use that suggestion. With most creatures the young have (proportionally) a larger head and bigger eyes. I don't think it's super necessary to do that. Maybe push the pink a bit more.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice creature Krat... Jakers. Love to see more.
    @ Si Swe; I like how this is turning out, keep it up.
    (Lark: I love you creature, and you really did a nice job. Only the legs(?) are a bit... 1-dimensional. You might want to ad a little detail to them (some muscle? a boney joint?) to make them look a little bit more like body parts... just my huble opinion tough.

So... Good news on my side: Internetz are back!
    here's the w.i.p.
    Hope to show you guys some colours soon.

As for the creature... i kinda like the idea of a plant fertilizer.
    It glides trough Jungles where huge plants spil resin-like fluids. The Glass Glider (working title) catches these drops of resin as they fall, as they fall. they contain food for the creature (whom itself is small, and has nothing but a root like tendrills)

The resin, contains seeds, and as the beast dies, it crashes into the ground, shaters, and from it's remains new plants grow.

The creature is born, as one of the back tendrills grows a small embryo. Biologists speak of a born baby as soon as the tendrill snaps, but older embryo's have been spotted moving on their own before "birth".

The creature is formed, as the heavy resin spreads on their backs, and slowly spreads out. Formed by the tendrills and aerodynamics, the resin takes a shape specific for the creature. It is therefore seen as a second skin.

As the creature grow older, this second (non-living) skin tends to break and even shatter, making the creature less aerodynamic. Eventually, the creature will have too many cracks, therefore loos too much speed and crash into the ground.

Last edited by YUZworks; July 27th, 2010 at 12:51 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to YUZworks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is my first step of midlife

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    emerging: welcome back! I love seeing your stuff in here. And you're looking good with the start. Now kick into overdrive cause you only have 5 days left counting today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry these are so late. ive been having fun with posemaniacs already done 100 one-minute sketches!
    emerging: it IS nice to have you back! same thing as (lark said: get crackin man! also, one thing to watch out for: the topic said acrobatic. make sure you show that. but i guess it doesnt have to be during its whole life, just at some point.
    YUZworks: some of the shapes you have are pretty interesting, but i think you could define the body structures more. right now theyre mostly just that: shapes. you also havent really explained how they can maintain continuous flight (sorry if you did in the sketches, haha its kinda hard to read your handwriting). and something to consider: even if those guys are pretty small, if theyre going any faster than just floating, those plants would have to be massive for them not to have to make hairpin turns every other second. that could result in some pretty interesting environments
    (lark: the rendering is looking awesome! though i would like to see a little difference b/w the young and adult than just size. try playing with the proportions. also, with the adults, all of them are flying in the same exact position and direction. if you look at flocks of birds, theyre not all synched. show some variety, maybe some swooping down (on something). prey perhaps? and watch for the wing position. i dont think they would get very much lift raised so high like that. look at some refs of gliding stuff for that. other than that its lookin great.
    si_swe: i really like the design on yours. the lightning is gonna be sick. just a couple things. i know its not done, but for the adult, try to simplify areas and clean them up a bit. if you smooth out the background, itll bring more focus to the creature. and maybe check out some lightning pics while youre working, it looks like youre struggling a little (sorry). and this is me just being nitpicky, but for all the different stages you have about the same camera angle on them. id love to see a more frontal view. i think having the matriarch almost facing the camera and its body arcing back into the distance would look amazing.
    ironictrout: i like the coloration on it. hmm, its looking a little stiff right now, try showing a little curvature to its tail. also, what happened to the old one!? this ones so much simpler and and less interesting! i think you could take the concept of you new one and apply it to your first sketch and it woud be a much stronger concept.
    jakers: i like that, its really different. though i think you could play around with how the wings that arent flapping fold up out of the way. cant wait to see it colored!
    farquad: thats effin legit! everything looks good to me, i just think you could tweak the embryonic sacs a bit. raise the saturation to make them redder and add some veins! also, i think it would be a really nice touch to show some waves down below the clouds. somethin like this: http://www.kurtshafferphotographs.co...from_above.jpg that would push the scale even further, and it would go pretty quickly with the right photo texture. lookin forward to the final
    norsehound: thats an interesting design. as far as "posing" goes, i think you could give the wing/flap things some flexibility for steering. just go for a nice, dynamic perspective shot.
    rgeorge: ahaha thats great! id like to see what the other forms look like. i dont think it looks very acrobatic right now, but other than that i think it fits the brief
    lege1: well, it looks cool but i cant tell which one is your creature. right now the focal point is the creature in the foreground, but seeing as hes grounded im guessing its the jellyfish thing? make that clear.
    tawnos: haha looks like you combined this weeks topic with last weeks. i like the design. looking forward to seeing it finished.
    duredhel: niiice thumbs. they look really clean and i think you nailed the topic dead on. not bad for a first time COWie . again, looking forward to the finished version.
    smashed pumpkin: kinda like tawnos, looks like you combined it with last weeks topic. nothin wrong with that, just right now it looks kinda like a floating flower. add some more animalish features. which ones is up to you.
    snarfevs: that is preeety awesome. i got nothing to say right now other than to finish it. good stuff!
    scorge: hmm, can we expect an entry from you, sir?

phew! even with a lot less entries this week that took me a good 45 minutes. it was worth it thoug. lotsa good stuff this week(s). enjoy the rest of this round. ill be lurking around

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lancer_idenoure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks guys.. yeah i gotta spend a lot of time on this round now lol.. hopefully i can finish

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Lancer. There's also no need to apologize on a comment like that, even if I didn't think I was struggling with the lighting, the fact that the lighting looked like I was struggling with it was problem enough. I still don't think I have it down properly. You've also convinced me to scrap what I have right now on the youngsters and matriarch and get a new comp going.

Emerging - The only potential issue I can see arising at this point is that I just don't really get a sense of acrobatic ability from it. In my minds eye I can see it moving in a sort of 'slither through the air' way.

Here's a retouched version of my adult form. It's not as finished as I would like it, but considering that this is the last night I can work on this, I'd like to see if I can get at least a start on the Matriarch and Young. I may have to post my creatures after the fact...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On second tought I don't like what I have atm on sketches.
    I´m also quite buissy working my long shifts, and making plans for my own t-shirt compagnie.... I'm leaving the house for a 3-5 hour bike tour, and when I get back I might turn in new sketches so I can design my creature tomorrow, and render it the day after.

Hopefully having a nice entry on closing day...

As for the rest of you... try not to forget about the "acrobat" part

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There we go! I didn't really know what was going on here. I thought everybody knew
    something I didn't and wasn't posting anymore lol.

So I had a large crisis with a cup of coffee, a keyboard, a cellphone, and my 9x12 tablet.
    T.T Sad to say but the keyboard is toast and only half of my tablet (my beautiful tablet!!!)
    is working but yeah... could have been worse I guess. At least I can finish what I started
    here. Anyways;

lancer_idenoure: Thanks dood. I appreciate the time you took to give
    your two cents about every one here, that's pretty cool. It's funny, cuz I had already added
    a bunch of the things you had mentioned lol.

emerging: Great design man. It'll look hot when it's all painted up. However, as others
    have mentioned, it does not come across as "acrobatic." Interested in what the other ages
    will look like though.

Si_Swe: Very nice. Just tighten up the details on the wings and the clouds in the
    background and it's ace. The only thing that jumps out at me is the way the wings connect at
    the body right next to the neck. Kind of an abrupt ending and interrupts the flow imo.

NEVER take your tablets for granted guys lol. 10 hours without mine and I'm a changed man,
    haha. But yeah, not sure about the middle-aged guy in the bottom left, but as far as placement
    goes I think it's all final here:

C.O.W. #184_Air-Born Acrobat_Wip Thread

Close up:

C.O.W. #184_Air-Born Acrobat_Wip Thread

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farquad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi - apologies if I already posted this, I meant to but it seems I forgot.

1) are we REQUIRED to do the three-step maturity thing, or is it optional?

2) does this have to be on Earth?

I have ideas but I'm not sure if they're viabe for the Finals thread, if not I got some good inspiration and sketches out of it anyway.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks guys.. i thought only the birth form should be acrobatic but in any case it doesn't really even matter anymor.. i won't be able to finish since im going away on vacation tomorrow. So i kind of gave up now - too much stuff to do. I hope i can join you guys in august. Have a good round!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bit more work to do, gonna put another night in tomorrow after work, rather not post something rushed tonight. Apologies for not posting more rough work, but I've been watching the threads and there's some really cool creatures here.

Name:  cow6test.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  265.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woa, slow round....any chance we might have the new topic today?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. Only 4 entries in the finals? Anyone else planning on turning in? Because personally after 2 weeks I'm really looking towards a new topic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah (lark, right? Damn, I was so pumped for this one. Shame hardly anyone participated... Better luck next round I guess.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    farquad: yeah I think a combo of the 2 weeks, 3 designs, ontop of an already challenging topic scared people off of this one. I like the challenge, but I understand if people want to drop in and whip something up real quick. Maybe I'm wrong though and people were just busy this week. Hmm well I hopemore people join in for 185 like you said. great final by the way!

42. The Following User Says Thank You to (lark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Farqaud - Thanks, The reason the "Wings" are where they are is because it's designed with manta rays in mind, wherein the fins and the head are almost one piece. I guess the flow it sort of bad with the piece...

I didn't have a chance to quite polish my piece to the degree I wanted. But I did manage to get it to a level of "doneness" where I'd post it in the finals. Unfortunately I'm on the train on the way back to Montreal right now, so I can't quite at the moment because the internet on the VIA trains is absolute bollocks. So we'll have 5 entries, if I can manage to get home before scorge posts the finals thread. Here's to hopeing that works out.

It's a disappointing turnout in terms of numbers but the quality I saw in the finals thread is still of a high enough quality to make me timid about my own work. Good stuff on those who actually posted.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    (lark: You too dood! Here's to the next round. *cheers*

Si_Swe: Hmm, I'm not sure if I made myself clear enough. I was just saying that
    the wing kind of reminded my of a folded taco. Here's kinda what I mean:

Name:  COW184_Flight copy.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  187.5 KB

Idk, my only quip. I love the creature conception/execution though. Stellar job.

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Farquad For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.