Inception
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Inception

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Inception

There may already be a thread for this one, but I didn't see it.

Go see this movie.

Seriously.

Go fucking see this movie.

Why are you still reading this thread?

Go see this movie, then lay Christopher Nolan down by the fire and make sweet, sweet love to him.

Anyone else who has seen it, what did you think?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,318 Times in 906 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yea, I loved it .

But theres a twist... Leo is handsome the whooolee timmeee

wasn't expecting that.

'If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems.And that's a big mistake.'
    www.DaveRapoza.com - Step by Steps, Videos, PSD Downloads, and tons of other crap
    SketchBook
    My Twitter Account
    Schoolism Alien Video Tutorial!
    -HAHAHA B.B.F.F. Forever...-

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Delicious For This Useful Post:

Dorkthrone is offline The skyline was beautiful on fire. Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I loved the ways it toyed with reality.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I was told to bring my brain to the movie. So I picked it apart and ruined it for myself. I only have two words for this movie "dream bullets". I also thought it was pretty weak sauce for the subject matter. Movies like Paprica, Eternal Sunshine and The Science of Sleep have spoiled me. I will say the movie did have it's interesting points. If you liked the Matrix at all, then you'll love this one. Personally I think the Matrix was always tall pile of diarrhea. Yes even the first one.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You need to relax when going to the movies. It is after all, an escape from reality.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good, good movie. It's no Mulholland Drive in the dream department, but that's okay. Mulholland Drive is no Inception in the bad-ass action sequences department.

Some thoughts about the end (aka megaspoilers ahead):

spoiler space

Lots of folks seem to have disliked the ambiguity of the top at the end. I read somewhere that right after the screen cuts to black you can here the top hit the table, though the theatre I went to was too noisy for me to notice something like that. If that is true, then all this talk about ambiguity flies out the window (and imo is a really subtle, classy way to finish off such a loud, boom-crash-explode movie).

However, I think that whether or not the top fell is irrelevant. Throughout the movie, Cobb is obsessed with the top. Whether or not it falls is extremely important to him as it is the only thing keeping him sure of his reality. At the end, he watches the top spin with the same intensity that he always has, up until he sees his children's faces, then he completely forgets about the top. Whether or not the movie was all a dream is irrelevant because in the end it becomes irrelevant to Cobb.

The core of the story is Cobb's choice between the bitter-sweet memories of his wife and the (possible) reality of his children. Even if the rest of it was a dream, his children were the only reality Cobb ever needed.

(Personally, I kind of like the idea of the it-was-all-a-dream scenario as kind of an inside-out character study on Cobb)

spoiler space

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just saw it last night, a delightful escape from reality from beginning to end, made me feel all giddy inside.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It really is awesome, not many movies deal with dreams as the main subject (almost a character itself) and impressive cast as well! Alfred FTW!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I loved it. I thought the ending was smart, it gives the viewers the choice to choose their own conclusion.

I hated how "hollywood" it felt. I didnt mind the soundtrack and action in dark knight, because its a superhero movie. In Inception however, I know its not a drama but he could have made his character more real, with human errors, instead of the well dressed, quick thinking geniuses that they were (Dicaprio's character not wanting to let go of his wife was perfect, the film needed more of that for the others as well). Paprika for instance, even though it had those crazy dream sequence, the characters felt very human.

But I digress, its a summer movie, and action and epic music is the norm. I still loved it, it was a great ride. If there can be a sequel somehow, I would be excited.

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good writing but he always extends out scenes like he did in Dark Knight and it left me restless at the end where it was like "ok...end this please, got life to attend to"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I saw this tonight. It was good. It didn't live up to the hype, unfortunately... I thought it would be a lot more sophisticated and display lucid dreaming in a more realistic light. I was hoping it to be like a live action version of Waking Life, really, which it was incredibly far from! Still it was a good film, with some absolutely awesome (and very tastefully utilized) special effects!

Oh, and The Dark Knight >>> Inception, I'd say.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really liked Inception because thinking of the dream stuff made me and my brother think about how we dream, and how the movie's dreams could really freak a person out. XD I enjoyed the action in there as well, and the reason that there needed to BE action!

This is a small spoiler...

I was rather disappointed in the confrontation with Mal near the end. I wish there was more action there and less...comforting, I guess. Though leading up to the confrontation I got more and more nervous of her.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    I really liked Inception because thinking of the dream stuff made me and my brother think about how we dream, and how the movie's dreams could really freak a person out.
    But in actuality this film presented dreams in an incredibly unrealistic light. See The Science of Sleep or Waking Life for more accurate films on dreaming.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Cobb - Director
    Arthur - Producer
    Aridene - Writer
    Eames - Actor
    Fischer - Audience
    Mal - Director's ideas

Cobb tells everyone what to do and forms the plan for the Inception (movie). Arthur does all the research and sets up the places to sleep. Aridene creates the worlds in which Cobb takes the mark, Fischer. Eames is the actor who plays different roles to help incept the mark. He even sits at an old fashioned vanity like in a dressing room at one point. Fishcher is taken on this journey by the crew and learns something about himself through their production. Cobb can't "build" anymore because Mal ends up ruining the show. He has to fight her off and keep her from entering the picture.

And he wasn't dreaming at the end. Cobb is wearing his wedding ring in dreams but not in reality. I paid attention to his hands every time they were shown clearly. At the end he isn't wearing the ring.

But the movie wasn't about dreams, it was about making movies.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    because all of your comments here i went to the cinema and watched the movie , and i have to say its just a Matrix ripoff, the movie was good but nothing special, last night i watched the Sorcerers Apprentice and i was out of words how awesome it was.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The movie was phenomenal.

How is it even remotely a Matrix ripoff?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,318 Times in 906 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BAN_KAI View Post
    Matrix ripoff, the movie was good but nothing special, last night i watched the Sorcerers Apprentice and i was out of words how awesome it was.
    This is impossible. You must be a troll.

Listen, Spider-Man blew ass, god I loved Ghost Rider

'If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems.And that's a big mistake.'
    www.DaveRapoza.com - Step by Steps, Videos, PSD Downloads, and tons of other crap
    SketchBook
    My Twitter Account
    Schoolism Alien Video Tutorial!
    -HAHAHA B.B.F.F. Forever...-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Delicious View Post
    This is impossible. You must be a troll.

Listen, Spider-Man blew ass, god I loved Ghost Rider
    lol have you watched Matrix, in Inception they just fall in sleep and in matrix they get hooked by some cables to be able to get in the Dream-Matrix(world), architect can place whatever he wants in the dream and that goes the same for matrix, i dont say everything is a ripp of but they share a lot of similarities, and dont call me a troll for suck a small reason, you hurt my feeling lol

ANd actually i cant compare Spiderman and Ghost rider cause i like them both the same, and actually i just came from a cinema and watched the The Expendables and it was kinda better than Inception even if its a Action movie

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BAN_KAI View Post
    ANd actually i cant compare Spiderman and Ghost rider cause i like them both the same
    ...oh

edit: for the sake of controversy, let's all just assume BAN_KAI meant spiderman 2 and not spiderman 3.

Last edited by Broken Lawnmower; August 13th, 2010 at 08:50 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Every artist was first an amateur.
    | My Sketchbook |
    Please, help out with critiques!

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MeZergy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ....aaaand for a real discussion of this movie, head over to Cinema Discusso at the Something Awful forums.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can't say much about the movie myself 'fell asleep during the showing.

BlightedArt is offline That annoying itch you just can't seem to scratch Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleverdart View Post
    Can't say much about the movie myself 'fell asleep during the showing.
    That was pretty funny actually

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didn't do as much for me; it's a cool flick, but far from what CN should be able to achieve. Too many of the characters were flat and only two or three of them actually wanted something. The rest of them sort of just float around, filling in the gaps in the plot. Speaking of which, why does the climax extend through (what felt like) the whole second half of the movie?

And so much for the ambiguity of the ending - that type of fence sitting only works when at least one of the two possible outcomes are profound or significant. In this case, I saw the "twist" coming all the way, and the alternative is hardly a memorable resolve.

It's not a bad film, but it might have been so much better if complexity shifted from the 'plot' and into the characters that drive the plot. See how the Coens do this and how much less predictable their films are compared to this. Just because you have a complex, layered story with shitloads of drama doesn't mean you actually have a good story. In contrast, The Prestige was able to pull of a really good story with a twist, not in the least because it had good, fleshed out characters. Every character wanted something different and were actively pursuing it. The "twist" in The Prestige functioned as an integral part of the resolve, not some cheesy addendum to seemingly change the context of the movie in the last scene. Inception's comes off as a footnote printed in bold and not good writing in any way.

And with that cast, you really should be giving them good characters to work with.

Anycase, I'm being really critical; it ain't bad, just not what it's being made out to be.

Brendan Noeth

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Brendan N For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I really quite liked it.

On the "walking home discussion" my main gripe was that the score was too loud and overbearing but that probably serves me right for sitting up back where the woofers are.
    Nitpicking really. I spent the rest of the night kinda pondering stuff about it and that's a good sign.

At several points I thought"well, never seen that before!" so one bonus point.

I never liked DiCaprio but I'd still have to give it 8/10

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good movie, probably the best this summer has to offer (though that's not saying much) but not the classic that the Nolan fans swear it is. A big issue is that the movie's central plot issues aren't particularly engaging...on the one hand, this is about two corporations slugging it out for global control ("Coke or Pepsi, people...could the stakes be higher?!"), and on the other, about an acknowledged corporate criminal getting to see his kiddies again (giant plot hole there...why didn't he just have someone bring them to Europe?!).

The biggest problem for me was that the movie's approach to dream logic and structure feels too regimented...I never bought the "dream within a dream within a dream" premise. Dreams (as we've all seen) are too loose, too diffuse and ephemeral for that to seem like a realistic approach. What's more, the climax never delivers on the jaw-dropping physics shown earlier, when Ellen Page's architect folds the entire landscape over like origami, though the zero-gee and "limbo city" had their moments and were a welcome respite from the car chase and skiing "levels", which I found annoyingly uninspired. The mistake Nolan made was, while few of us will ever ride in a spaceship or be involved in a sword duel, nearly everyone dreams on a regular basis, so a basis of comparison is pre-established, and it's hard to say he delivered on the plot's lofty premise.

(For a more accurate depiction of dream composition and surrealism, see David Lynch's "Lost Highway", "Mulholland Drive" or especially his most recent, "Inland Empire"...)

As for the big twist ending...as Brendan N said above, one outcome is significant (Cobb is trapped in a limbo he helped create), while the other is almost entirely unengaging ("Yay! A criminal did something illegal and got away with it!"), and the top's wobble pretty much hints that the latter is the case (more evidence for a happy ending here) so...not exactly keeping me up nights wondering.

I second Raoul Duke...it's been done before, and better, but it's not time or money ill-spent...

On the whole, human beings want to be good, but not too good, and not quite all the time.
    - George Orwell

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    - Richard Dawkins

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have nothing to add but this

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ha ha, that was great!

I thought Inception was awesome. Best film of the year so far for me, closely followed by Toy Story 3. I didn't expect it to like it very much going by the trailers, but it's one of very few films recently that I never got bored of watching about halfway through.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok I lied. I do have something else.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.