Chow #205 :: VOTING :: Gaia - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Who created life?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chow #205 :: VOTING :: Gaia

0 0%

12 7.06%

8 4.71%

52 30.59%

34 20.00%

6 3.53%

0 0%

19 11.18%

0 0%

16 9.41%

5 2.94%

9 5.29%

4 2.35%

1 0.59%

4 2.35%

0 0%

4 2.35%

20 11.76%

19 11.18%

14 8.24%

46 27.06%

1 0.59%

1 0.59%

6 3.53%

11 6.47%

43 25.29%

12 7.06%

28 16.47%

34 20.00%

4 2.35%

30 17.65%

0 0%

5 2.94%

1 0.59%

29 17.06%

35 20.59%

0 0%

1 0.59%

8 4.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Chow #205 :: VOTING :: Gaia

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Classical representations of Gaia show a woman emerging from the earth or, later, reclining on the ground.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Phaethon; July 18th, 2010 at 01:32 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, nice entries so far.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Afekay For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice job all :]

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ithoual For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gaia's newest fashion collection for 2011 !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This round's lookin mighty fine, guys.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 271 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well done everybody!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This one is from Kzo (can't register on time for submitting).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    THREAD IS CLOSING (few minutes grace period )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i summon you gaia, from the blackest depths of my dreams and nightmares; swirling chaos and formless might, with your tender beauty lost to the vast nothingness that looks to swallow you. Your warm shadow of light is all that brings hope, aching to burst free and create. Go forth and bring life, birth that which dwells in recesses of your subconscious.
    wip:
    Name:  CHOW-WIP.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  113.1 KB

final:
    Name:  CHOW205GAIA-FINAL.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  181.0 KB

phew..did I make it???

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think I made it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Reymus View Post
    I don't think I made it
    Don't worry, I've added you last minute

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We will look into a new poll image system, since some images turn out very small in the poll. Please look at the full size images in the thread before voting 'cause there is some very cool stuff there!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh well, looks like I missed it but, only just.
    Whats the exact deadline btw? Is it the same time every sunday. Really good work everyone btw.

Heres mine anyways, not point not posting it now Ive done it.
    Will post my WIPs in a second too.

Last edited by PHATandy; July 18th, 2010 at 04:45 PM.
    PHANDY // Andrew Porter
    Concept Artist // Splash Damage

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They were some very nice entries but I voted only for one.
    The reason is, I didn't wanted to see a human body, I think it's too cliché to think of a human looking character when we talk about the creator of nature.
    So I voted for Rusty, really awesome concept.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I vote for PixelTuner and Chong cause I like their attitude - they show how Earth was remained by humans. Also as I said before I like pictures where Goddess didn't look humanlike (I draw her as woman because I was inspired by wiccan tradition and always thought that greek god's are humanoid).
    I never thought about this before - our aspiration to draw Nature humanlike maybe it's reflection of our thought than human is Crown of Nature. Overall I'm agree with Mark.
    Anyway - many interesting thoughts and beautiful drawings friends! And I always like cartoon-style picts they are really nice and kind

Sketchbook
    I'm mostly self-taught, please if you have free minute leave some crits for me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn, my earth map is inverted, I hope no one noticed. Finished this in a big hurry---two days. Not bad for me.

How embarrassing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So gutted I missed the deadline, will still work on finishing it though. Great entries people!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AAAAAAAAAargh nooooooo Phat andy !!!!!Yours was my fav!Nice work everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for Rusty and Staticpen, I agree with Mark there but since Staticpen included two forms of Gaia I thought that deserved my vote, really interesting Idea. And rusty's design is just plain awesome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    missed the deadline too. nevermind.
    i voted for afekay.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I have several hours free today and I promised Arthemis that I would critique each piece so here I go...I don't have time to spell check so please forgive those errors . Also, if my critique seems aggressive, it just means that I am tired so please forgive me .

NonoBot: Great atmosphere in this piece. Rendering is great too. The concept however is lacking a bit. The only thing that makes the character here different from a normal human female is size, cracked titties, and blank eyes. You really need to push the concept more to make the character more unique/memorable.

Howie: Cool picture, but the concept has been done before. If you are going to do a tree person, you need to give it some unique and memorable characteristics. Also, the composition leads the eye to the pelvis, which is a let down because there isn't really anything interesting there. As a result, the image doesn't really have much staying power in the mind. I think if you added some interesting bits to that pelvic area (maybe she is in the process of "giving birth") then the image would benefit significantly.

madhatter106: This piece relies way too much on the context of the competition to convey the new narrative of the character that you have created. If I saw this piece separate from the context of the competition, I would have a hard time determining who or what she is. Creating a unique narrative is all well and good, but don't rely on the topic of the competition to let the viewer know who the character is. If you want to create a new narrative that isn't "normal", then you need to show it and describe it in the image. Therefore, the piece should be much more illustrative in nature than it is. For example, illustrate the woman in the process of creating nature or controlling nature in some evil-nanny way. Basically, don't expect the viewer to "get-it" unless you hand feed them enough clues.

PMaz: Interesting piece you have here. Really like the dark tone you've established. However, the main crit I have is that you seem to focus on the decay/death aspect to the exclusion of the birth/creation aspect. As a result, the character reads more like a black magic-voodoo-shaman-priestess than the personification of earth. Also, there are great inconsistencies in the lighting of the piece that severely flatten the image, despite your best efforts to create a sense of depth with the background.

fedde: funny piece, but you are expecting the viewer to make some assumptions, which you don't want to do. First you are expecting the viewer to assume that this smiling naked lady somehow caused the wreck. Secondly, you build upon the first assumption by expecting the viewer to then make the assumption that this naked lady is Gaia, because she wrecked the car (and because she has green hair and has a bird on her finger). Basically, you want to get rid of these assumptions for the image to be more powerful.

LostFayth: Interesting idea, but there are several problems with the piece. First is the lighting. In the picture there is an extremely dominant/single lightsource, there are almost no surfaces to reflect light, and the character is extremely close to this dominant lightsource. A situation similar to this is when someone holds a flashlight under their face to tell a scary story at night. This means that the shadows need to be extremely dark, and that there are going to be some abrupt changes from lightest light to darkest dark where there are abrupt changes in form. However, the darkest darks (on the character) are pretty light, which makes the lighting on the character inconsistent relative to the light-source. Also, the concept of the character needs work. It is simply a normal girl with a t-shirt on. Like the topic breif said, "Gaia is the mother of all life so her appearance should show her grandness." A simple t-shirt is the polar opposite of grand.

Grafguy: I think the biggest issue is the lighting. It seems you wanted to go for a pretty diffused light the focuses on the face. The upper-chest/neck area should be a whole lot brighter than it is. When using a diffused lightsource you need to think not just about the peaks and valleys in the form, but also where the form lies in relation to that diffusion of the lightsource. Hopefully that makes sense...

Retalliator: The rendering is accomplished, but the concept needs work. It's just an old woman. What makes her different than any other old woman, other than the fact that she is supposedly Gaia?

Buffichar: Oofff, this would have been an extremely challenging piece because you chose to go with a unique and transparent surface for her skin. I honestly don't know how to make that seem more convincing, sorry I can't help you there .

Lake7less: Very interesting figure, love the pose. As for crit, I think the biggest issue is color. The piece is very monochromatic, which gives it a very lifeless feel. I think this piece would greatly benefit from more informed color choices. Also, I would try to use a wider range of values on your forms to help convey the lighting and form of the objects. As it stands, the piece hovers in limbo between being flat and having depth. This may be a stylistic choice, but my personal preference says go one way or the other; its better to have most of the elements of the piece working together than fighting against each other.

xLouisax: I like the idea for the lightsource, but the character is just too plain. It seems like it is just an attractive young woman frolicking in the dark with a strap missing from her dress. There isn't really much here that sets her apart from other attractive young women who frolic in the dark with a strap missing from their dresses.

Leckronium: Man, this is a really great piece. Everything works, except for on very important thing: the face. Those pink wing things on her eyes don't add anything, they only mess up the consistent feel of the character and the piece. Gah, this is such wonderful image aside from those wing thingys. Take them out! .

Obliviongrin: Woah, crazy awesome pose. Also, I think I should not that I really dig that hand reaching backwards. I think my main crit for this piece is the coloring. It feels rushed and not as well thought through as the rest of the piece. Other than that though, this is a great piece.

StaticPen: Aaaah, this is such an amazing concept. One of the best in the bunch I think. The only thing that holds this back is the finish. There are very few dark darks, especially in places where the viewer would expect to see them (for example, in the shade of the trees). Also, under natural conditions light would be bouncing all over the place in a scene like this, which means the color of the ground would be reflected onto the logs and trees and legs, but that isn't happening. But still, this is a wonderful concept.

goldilockz: Really like the idea (and the face) but there just isn't enough contrast in this piece. You need to get a lot more darks on the form of Gaia to really sell the illusion of form. Or, at least contrast here with the background so that the values don't merge. Also, try to find some more natural looking brushes or simply paint those elements yourself. As it stands they feel very digital, especially in comparison to the natural form of Gaia.

mephistoau: great, great image. Big fan of the lighting setup. The main thing I think is missing here is a sense of depth. You need more distinct divisions between foreground, midground, and background. You almost have some great divisions through the use of the trees, but you have merged them with either the midground or the background. For example, you merged that tree in the front with the midground by making Gaia's shadow fall upon the root. I think if you brought out that tree root into the light you could easily create a foreground and thus a division of space.

Soupandbutter: Fantastic. This is really a wonderful image. The only thing that bugs me are the glowing eyes. They're just too....cliche I guess. I think you could make them interesting in a more unique way than to make them glow. I don't know. This just may be a personal pet peeve. But seriously, this is a great image, thanks for making it so I could see it .

Feil Mangus: very unique approach, as well as a unique style. Hard for me to crit. The only thing I can come up with is that I wish the background was slightly darker than it is now to help separate the character from it. Oh, and one other thing: her cleavage should be in shadow not highlighted .

Reginanegra: Love the etherial feel of this character. Very creepy. Biggest crit here is the lighting; it is very inconsistent. Always try to keep in mind where and how strong your lightsources are when considering value.

Sillirien: Great concept but it needs more contrast! Contrast is so extremely important. Honestly, just take this piece into photoshop and up the value contrast by 50 or so and it is already 5-10% better. But remember that value isn't the only contrast you need to think about. There is also contrast in color, contrast in form, contrast in line, contrast in edges, etc. Contrast! It can make or break your picture.

ianthegeek: This is a very interesting piece. Very unique concept which I like. Also must have been very hard to make convincing. hmm...I think the main issue is the shape and form of the trees and their leaves. That whole canopy area looks too much like a carpet, especially considering how bare the trunks are. I don't know man, I like the concept but I think I would have to spend a lot of time thinking about the execution before I could give a good crit.

no87: Since this piece is all about the concept, I guess I'll critique that . Personally, I'm not a big fan of clothes in relation to this topic because they are not found in nature, so why would the personification of earth be wearing them? If she was wearing clothes I would imagine them to be very simple or made of natural materials. That might be more of a personal stance, but the specific choice of clothes you made makes me think that some group of mad scientists found a drunk prostitute and made some diabolical biological creation out of her. Still, you definitely have a great rendering ability; you really sell the illusion of space which is wonderful.

Chong: Love the concept, and great portrayal of it. The only crit I can really offer here is to try to be more aware of the lightsource. Some places are pretty bright when they should be in shadow and vice-versa. For example, I would image that the right leg of the character would be in shadow since the lightsource is behind the character. I noticed in your WIP that you didn't establish the lightsource until the very end, which is a big no-no.

PxelSlayer: . Only thing I could come up with is: maybe make those milky clouds at the bottom just a stitch darker to push them further back. Honestly though, this is just a nitpick. Job well done.

ArtByManon: A really solid piece here. Love the concept, and the execution is great. Just two crits: 1.) considering how the sphere (earth) is bathed in light, it doesn't seem logical for it to have an edge in shadow. 2.) Gaia looks like she has had implants, shouldn't she be "all natural"? haha . But yeah, great piece.

rgeorge: Dang, this is wonderful. I must admit that when I first saw it, it didn't really catch my eye. But now that I really look at it, I am falling in love. I wish I could go back in time and cast a vote for it . Good work though.

Interloper: Not a bad first shot . I think the thing to crit here is the weight shift. Since here entire body weight is shifted onto her right leg, then the right side of her hip will be jacked up, while the left side will be "falling" down (even more than you already have). Also, her shoulders are going to shift to help keep balance, which means that her right shoulder will fall down and her left moves up higher. Try it out yourself. Stand on two feet, then transfer all your body weight to one foot to see what happens.

Pixeltuner: Dang that is intense. Solid though . The only thing that I would crit is the text. It makes the whole thing look like a poster or cd cover. I think it could do without. While this is definitely a personal call, I'm sure you know that add text to an image can drastically change the context of the image so you have to be careful with it.

Phaethon: Really great execution of the concept. Love the clean lines and pose. I wish there was some depth though. Some distant mountain range or something of that sort. The whole top half of the image just feels...empty. Other than that though, this is a great piece, good work.

Afekay: beau-ti-ful. This piece really hits home the concept. Has a great feel to it. Can't find a single thing to crit .

Ithoual: Amazing composition. Beautiful composition. Did I say this was a great composition? Putting that aside, I think that the saturation could be kicked up a notch or two in places. The chroma over the entire piece is startlingly low. Other than that, this is wonderful. *highfive*.

Allstar87: haha, yeah, she definitely looks like she's on a catwalk. Overall this piece is great, but there are some minor anatomy issues. That left arm is way too skinny. Also, the head is extremely small in proportion to the body. Other than those, very interesting costume design!

Ruri: Cool picture! love the illustrative quailty of the piece. The only thing I would like to see more of is a bit of color. However this piece is heavily stylized so that may be a personal choice. Really like the transparent nature of the character though. good stuff.

Rusty: I'm a sucker for beautiful rendering so you got my vote. That face is gorgeous, reminds me of something from Pan's Labyrinth. I wish I could see the character in an environment though. .

Kzo: Really really like this. Just wish there wasn't that much pure black. I understand why you chose to use a lot of pure black (conceptually), but still, I think the image would be more attractive if it all wasn't there. I really, really, really want to see what this would look like without it.

Mairuku/Reymus: I clumped you these two pieces together because the crit I have is the same for both. There is very little that distinguishes this woman from all others. It just needs more for the concept to be unique and interesting.

PHATandy: Really enjoy the colors and atmosphere of this piece. My main crit would be the lighting. It seems that the light that comes from above the character is a relatively strong lightsource, but when it reaches the legs of the character, it just disappears and has no effect on the either the legs or the surrounding environment. But I really do like this. Wonderful job.

Well, I guess that is it. That took a long time....

26. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Goog For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lalilulelo was added to the poll as he accidentally missed the deadline.. This is a one time thing though. After this Chow i assume that everyone is aware of the new deadline! (GMT 9:00 +1)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Goog - I knwo what you're saying - i kind fo went for artistic license with the earth, otherwise it might have looked a bit flat, I didn't know how to make it look spherical without there being shadow one side? - and as for the boobs, boobs in no gravity don't hang in the same way as boobs in gravity!! I am massively against boob jobs!! Check out boobs in water... http://alberich.deviantart.com/#/d2rqiqt

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do
    With your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver

My Website

Sketchoholic - GET INTENSE!!!

Crimson Daggers - Meet to draw together

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rgeorge: Dang, this is wonderful. I must admit that when I first saw it, it didn't really catch my eye. But now that I really look at it, I am falling in love. I wish I could go back in time and cast a vote for it . Good work though.

Thanks, it needs more work, but I enjoyed making it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Goog - thanks alot for taking the time to comment on everyone's piece!
    I know what you mean with your comment on mine, annd really appreciate the help.
    First I've kinda wonderd why I didn't get any votes at all, so I started to analyze it and break it down bit by bit.

(Imma post all my thought here about my own work so if you don't wanne know, skip ahead)

It was the first time I focused on a painting with the intention of finishing it and making it presentable, and I hadn't painted in a while.
    I focused more on gettin technical stuff as anatomy and contrast right, instead of making the piece interesting for the public and telling a story.
    A big mistake was the contrast, i thought by making things darker, I made them 'unattractive'/boring to the eyes. And by making things lighter, I'd pull the viewer attention. WRONG

A face isn't as light as that in real life, the legs aren't supposed to be that dark!
    I learned that by contrast, it meant that the boring stuff has less darker darks and lighter lights then the focus point(s).
    You'd create focus by making in that area the darks darker and the lights lighter, but avoid pure black and white, white is reserved fot highlights or planes that directly face the lightsource.

That was my main problem, focusing on values. And rushing the colors at the very end, not thinking about what would make a good composition, or an interesting character.

But it's my first ChoW, hopefully there are many more to come. I've learned alot from it and am curious of what the next one will teach me.
    If I was anywhere wrong with my thoughts, please say so and correct me.

peace!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Goog - Thanks for the comments. I was a little frustrated with this one as it didn't quite turn out as I wanted it to. I put the "butterfly" accents on her to try and not make her look so normal but I agree they could have done more harm than good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lake7less: Excellent composition, but I think the design of Gaia herself is a little bit too plain.

Obliviongrin: Wow! Very Frazetta-esque! Love the pose and intensity, but I think the design of the character could have used more green/nature elements.

staticpen: Amazing. 'Nuff said.

ianthegeek: I love the design of your Gaia, but I don't think you quite pulled off the trees thing. I at first thought she was emerging from a cliff face, which would have been pretty cool actually.

PxelSlayer: Very nice, makes me think of Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean's Black Orchid comic.

Phaethon: Love it! Beautiful clean lines. Reminds me of Jamie McKelvie's art. Sky could have used some clouds though, maybe.

Ithoual: Totally badass, but just does not look like Mother Earth to me, sorry.

Rusty: Awesome. I especially like the A Bomb, and the face. I got to say though, I like the full figure in the WIPs better than the one in the finished version.

Kzo: Love the volcanic colours and explosive composition.

PHATandy: Oh man, I would have voted for you if you'd made it in time! Awesome creative design, wouldn't look out of place in a Taiyo Matsumoto manga, and great atmosphere too.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ruri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd like to thank ruri and goog for taking the time to comment on my piece. It's the constructive and honest critcisms that will help this humble amature improve.
    Hopefully see ya'll in the next one (or the one after )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

late

I didn't make the deadline, but decided today to go ahead and finish my piece anyway. Here it is. There were so many amazing entries on this round!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.