Do NOT go to SCAD - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Do NOT go to SCAD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This whole discussion is very amusing and chuck full of wrong or misleading information.

First, although I don't like SCAD for most majors, they are a fully accredited, non-profit school. Yes, they started out as a "for-profit school, but they changed to a non-profit.

Seconly, I would rarely attend a "for profit school because they want to put as much of their dollars into the hands of the owners.,which is why they are a for profit school. There are , however, some exception, which are more student friendly. Gnomon School and SVA are two examples of these exceptions.

SCAD, however, is renown to be run like a for profit endeaver even though they are non profit. The only programs that have strong reputations there are their animation and visual effects and sequential art programs. All other programs do NOT have the same reputation.

However, even non profits can be run as a "for profit" school or can be more student oriented. SCAD is run more like a for-profit school.

Academy of Art University in San Francisco is a "for-profit" school ( when I checked it out a year ago) and owned by the Stevens Institute. I would never go there.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not going to bother reading through the entirety of the thread, because the first few posts were enough to give me a distinct, "THE SNAKE PART IS NOT LUMPY" vibe. However:

1) Get ready to never sleep: seriously... you will not sleep. If you do sleep then you are probably going to fail or get poor grades. It's like some strange right of passage and not very healthy in general. People are sleeping on couches all over the school. It's really creepy actually.

2) Get used to seeing people cry everyday. There are a lot of kids either fighting with security guards or crying because they never sleep and they are emotionally drained. This is not exaggerated. It's really depressing.
    As one of those creepy couch sleepers and frustrated sobbing art students, I have an opinion on this.

You mean to tell me that people are working hard to make it in a field full of aspiring artists where they likely have to be among the best to get their dream job? People are missing out on sleep in order to stay awake and work so that they can be better than the other 10,000 artists that are going to be applying for jobs with them? People are making sacrifices in order to accomplish something and achieve what they think of as greatness?

Those bastards.

I know a lot of SCAD students in a variety of programs, and in no way is this behavior required to pass. However, you're talking about creative fields that are saturated with aspiring young artists AND seasoned pros. It takes a lot to break through and land a dream job. If you are bitching about having to buckle down and work your ass off, then you're right, SCAD probably isn't for you. And an art career might not be, either.

It's tough, dude, and I hate to be an ass about it, but I am gonna have to be blunt here: Walk it off, pussy.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Taxguy
    Isn't AAU also owned partially by Goldman-Sachs (I believe 34%)? I think I saw something the other night concerning that.
    As far as SCAD and for profit vs NPO if they have made their change over, I can see where the business model would stay the same despite legal structural change, it would only make such a transition easier in the long run.
    As I did say earlier, I don't think most students give as much thought and research into which school they are going to attend.
    Also, lately many NPO schools are running more like a business, enrollment is down for many of the private schools and state schools are seeing an increased enrollment due to the economic environment of the country.
    If I were to do it over again, I would attend a state school. I returned for a BFA in my 30's and did not need the whole college experience/environment but sometimes you make a decision based on location and VT is a really nice state to live in for awhile

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxguy View Post
    SCAD, however, is renown to be run like a for profit endeaver even though they are non profit. The only programs that have strong reputations there are their animation and visual effects and sequential art programs. All other programs do NOT have the same reputation.
    People go there for anything else?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a friend who went there for painting. Years ago I considered them for their furniture program. People consider them for other areas of study but, those areas just aren't what SCAD is known for.
    Ultimately the price and more importantly living in SC really put me off. I am not a humid/hot weather person at all. Dry hot is one thing but not humidity ::shudders::

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's a reason I don't give Summer courses any thought.

Kismet is offline The Chaotic Dreamer Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivory_Oasis View Post
    Why does it matter if they have horses? ><

As long as the school gives

1) teachers who know what they are doing and WANT to teach / free with their knowledge

2) decent grounds and equipment

3) I guess some type of placement program and industry relationships before graduation

I don't really care about much else. If they provide the tools and resources I need in order to become a strong artist ready to work by the time I get out... I would consider their job completed....and bonus points for being able to ride horses! weeee!
    Everything you said is true... However, being an Equestrian Major does not make you a "strong artist ready to work by the time you get out", let alone an artist at ALL (that's my personal opinion; but I can back it up with facts if need be). That's the whole point of us complaining about its existence at SCAD. The money that's going into SCAD's LEAST artistic program, which is present at a school that's ONLY supposed to be full of EXTREMELY artistic programs, could've went elsewhere. An EM will not be ready to work by the time they get out of SCAD. When the Equestrian life doesn't work out, what will you fall back on? How far will a degree in "Equestrian" take you when the going gets tough? You won't be finding any office jobs, that's for sure.

And for being able to ride horses... Ahaha, um, no. If you're not in the major, you're not allowed to wander around over at the Equestrian Center, let alone even TOUCH one of their prized over-priced horses. So you'll never EVER even see a single one of those horses unless you're looking at a photo or attending some sort of school event.

Not to sound harsh, but it's all true. That's present day SCAD for ya.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You must be a riot at parties.

Seriously, they just made a joke.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    You must be a riot at parties.

Seriously, they just made a joke.
    Is that sarcasm I hear there, sir? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Brian.May View Post
    I have a friend who went there for painting. Years ago I considered them for their furniture program. People consider them for other areas of study but, those areas just aren't what SCAD is known for.
    Ultimately the price and more importantly living in SC really put me off. I am not a humid/hot weather person at all. Dry hot is one thing but not humidity ::shudders::
    Actually, it's not THAT humid in Sav. And for the times that you ARE exposed to it, you eventually end up becoming immune to it. When I came back home to Jersey, my hair no longer frizzed up in hot or humid weather, and I sweat a lot less easily now. So it's not that bad at all. (Especially if you just try your best to stay inside. )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That paper mill by the river or WHATEVER that is isn't nice on the nose when I walk outside in the morning.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That smell makes me want to EXPLODE. That's how bad it is. I'll never get used to that. EVER. I'm from Jersey and the turnpike even smells better than that nonsense. At least it's actually possible to AVOID that particular smelly part of the turnpike. In Savannah, that paper mill funk is everywhere, no matter where you go. You can't escape it and you almost NEVER know exactly when it's coming. It's like the plague. Or cancer. Oh God, it might secretly be giving us cancer! RUN!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This whole discussion is very amusing and chuck full of wrong or misleading information.

First, although I don't like SCAD for most majors, they are a fully accredited, non-profit school...
    Why not? Have you ever visited SCAD or one of their campuses in Savannah, Atlanta, or Hong Kong? Have you ever researched their catalog? Have you ever inquired or looked into the kinds of jobs students find after graduation? What do you really know about any of their majors? Have you seen the body of work? Do you work in the art and design industry? Is the answer to all of my preceding questions, "No."?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kismet View Post
    The money that's going into SCAD's LEAST artistic program, which is present at a school that's ONLY supposed to be full of EXTREMELY artistic programs, could've went elsewhere.
    Where would you like it to go? What doesn't SCAD provide already? If I am not mistaken, the college is not lacking in any particular area. Are you having problems with the facilities?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by StarJelly View Post
    The downside to hiring working professionals is that they don't have enough time to teach. For instance, some of the professors there work for Marvel... Which is pretty rad. But the consequence to this is that students come second.

and just to strengthen my point. I am not one of those ticked off kids who get shocked when they can't cut it. I have seen these types of threads when I researched SCAD. SCAD is all over that Rip Off Report website.
    You might have been better off at the Savannah campus. I was employed and taught at SCAD for a number of years in Savannah. The vast majority of us were full-time professors, and not adjuncts.

In an environment such as Atlanta, or New York, or San Francisco it is more likely that many of the faculty will be professionals working full-time in the industry and as adjunct professors at a college. This would hold true for any art college in any major city. It sounds like you discovered both the advantages and disadvantages of having adjunct faculty.

As far as being "ripped off". I do not agree. SCAD's tuition is pretty much on par with that of any private art college, and some are significantly more expensive. CalArts is over $40,000 per year. SCAD is also quite liberal when dispersing academic-, need-, or portfolio-based scholarships. I have never been to the Atlanta campus, but as per the Savnnah campus very little - if anything - is lacking per facilities.

I spent over 14 years at SCAD as a student, staff, member, and professor. I was well-treated in all capacities. Eventually, I was actually "fired" from SCAD for reasons outside the classroom (my bad), but I have always been very grateful for each and every opportunity the college afforded me.

Last edited by RainingAgain; October 14th, 2010 at 10:32 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bLux View Post
    I believe the teacher thing may be plausible, but that's because SCAD-Savannah(I'm assuming the others as well) doesn't hire professors on a yearly basis. They don't do contracts or anything like that, it's per quarter, so professors come and go every couple of weeks..
    As a former faculty member at SCAD, Savannah, I can assure you this is not the case. While - perhaps - there are some adjunct faculty hired quarter to quarter, all full-time faculty received annual contracts, Fall to Spring, with an option to teach during the summer for additional monies. SCAD does not offer tenure however - which is either good or bad depending upon your perspective.

Last edited by RainingAgain; October 14th, 2010 at 10:47 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Raileyh View Post
    SCAD is a For-Profit school.
    No. The college is non-profit. Regardless, all non-profits "make money". They have to in order to expand, offer employee benefits, pay competitive wages, refurbish and build facilities, etc.

Last edited by RainingAgain; October 14th, 2010 at 10:46 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kismet View Post
    And to think, that money could've went to so many other things... Like... No, I won't even count the dorms... It could've financed the addition of more majors, turning certain minors into majors and giving them their own buildings (or sharing space with other majors in other buildings), improved and/or expanded the facilities and majors we already have, created more student aid, more funding for clubs and other student-related activities... There's just SO much they could've done with that. Sigh...
    So much to reply to in this thread.

I saw so many changes at SCAD from the early 1990s to the mid 2000s. All of the above has occurred and will likely continue to occur in the future. You have no idea how cramped we all were just 10 to 15 years ago.

When I first attended SCAD, the library was in Poetter Hall where the admissions office is presently located - you ought to know how small that space is. Now you have a 3-story library that spans two full-city blocks. During my tenure, SCAD seemed to add at least one new building every year in Savannah, from the Computer Arts building to the student center to the dorms to the Gulf Stream Industrial Design building, etc. The number of Majors and minors the college has offered has also grown considerably. I think it had 14 majors when I started, now it has almost 30. Honestly, you have no idea how much money has been spent on the facilities and programs. There has been so much growth it is staggering.

Last edited by RainingAgain; October 14th, 2010 at 10:52 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SCAD...The only programs that have strong reputations there are their animation and visual effects and sequential art programs. All other programs do NOT have the same reputation.
    Reputations are earned over time. SCAD is a relatively new college (31 years old). The reputations of the programs are growing, and each major has grown at a different pace.

Taxguy, have you ever seen the work or researched the positions students are finding after graduation? Have you ever even visited the college? Can you even name all the majors/minors the college offers? If not, how can you even say which are good and which are not?

Other programs - besides the ones you listed - are strong. 'I have direct experience with the G.D. program. I know from first-hand experience that it is excellent.

Even though I graduated from SCAD and worked there for a total of 14 years, I would never be so brazen to speak about the majors and programs at SCAD or other schools to which I had little exposure because I cannot appoint myself the all-knowing authority on art and design colleges in the United States. You ought not to speak of things of which you have little knowledge.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RainingAgain View Post
    Where would you like it to go? What doesn't SCAD provide already? If I am not mistaken, the college is not lacking in any particular area. Are you having problems with the facilities?
    Well SCAD-Atlanta just opened their Digital Media Center which was supposed to house all of their digital media majors (Animation, Game Dev, TV Production etc). When I was visiting the school before making my decision it was held aloft that they were going to be building a center for cutting edge majors and that game design (my major) was going to have a floor solely devoted to it by the start of the fall quarter in September.

That was in April

Over all I have enjoyed my time so far. I have to take a color theory class which is a really big pain in the can because of my red-green color deficiency. With that though the school has been helpful. They are helping to provide a tutor that can help me to cope as well as counseling for the stress that has come along with it.

As far as the work load the color theory class is the only one that has provided me with problems as far as professors that are less than helpful. I tried to explain the situation to her and her response was basically,"i've had students like you before. You'll be fine" apparently not cause I am making a C at the moment.

What 'ev I am working hard and learning what I can.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "...I tried to explain the situation to her and her response was basically,"i've had students like you before..."

Your professor made a dumb mistake. You should have been directed to Disability Services, yes, even for being color blind. Even though it is voluntary, I would have twisted your arm and forced you to go. ;-)

On every SCAD syllabus is the school's ADA information and policy. The professor should have gone over it on day one with everyone. If they did not, I'd kick 'em in the rear myself if I could.

Disability Services would assign "accommodations" for your professor to follow. It should not be up to the professor to decide what you are or are not capable of. If you don't notify Disability Services, it is on your shoulders to overcome the disability, and the professor need not give you any leeway.

Best of luck to you.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to RainingAgain For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sooo.... i was one of those students who 1) never slept 2) cried in a hallway. but hey, i kept my scholarship throughout and landed a job two months before i graduated! it's worth it in the end. looking back, wish i had also done summer classes (except the summer i took an internship)

it's a good school for the career orientated, bad school for artists wanting to go a fine-arts route.

i went to the savannah campus & loved it. miss all the adventures with my friends now actually.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I am in touch with the Counseling and Student Sucess Services (cs3...haha photoshop) who are working with me to get that nailed down. We landed on just giving me extensions, alternate color choices and some other stuff.

I am still getting help for the anxiety attacks that the stress has been giving me. No joke second week of classes I started hyerventilating in class as well as began to have chest pains on a fairly regular basis. It isn't exactly a healthy situation.

My drawing class makes up for it though. He basically says anything goes as long as you stick to the assignment and the drawing turns out well. He calls them "non sequiters" pretty cool. So i decided to throw a concept racecar/ jet powered dragster into a perspective drawing I am doing of a tunnel. He thinks it is a cool idea. So for every bad teacher at SCAD there are definitely good ones.

Besides they may be letting me start a concept art club at the school which would be straight beast!!!!! We'll see

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I am in touch with the Counseling and Student Sucess Services (cs3...haha photoshop) who are working with me to get that nailed down. We landed on just giving me extensions, alternate color choices and some other stuff.

I am still getting help for the anxiety attacks that the stress has been giving me. No joke second week of classes I started hyerventilating in class as well as began to have chest pains on a fairly regular basis. It isn't exactly a healthy situation.

My drawing class makes up for it though. He basically says anything goes as long as you stick to the assignment and the drawing turns out well. He calls them "non sequiters" pretty cool. So i decided to throw a concept racecar/ jet powered dragster into a perspective drawing I am doing of a tunnel. He thinks it is a cool idea. So for every bad teacher at SCAD there are definitely good ones.

Besides they may be letting me start a concept art club at the school which would be straight beast!!!!! We'll see

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by A Gregorie View Post

I'm glad to hear that your are getting whatever support you need. Without going into details, SCAD's counseling center may have been established in response to personal issues I had in the mid-90s. I have a personal sense of satisfaction knowing students can get counseling nowadays.

I hope your concept art club works out. Best of luck.

SCAD has so many profs, and they constantly have to hire new ones because of growth. After your first quarter you can get feedback on which ones to avoid. I really liked Stephen Gardner as a foundations prof. - had him for Drawing II. Stefanie Joseph is a trip if you ever bump into her.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I went to SCAD Savannah. If you want to do it right you have to move off campus and live in the city (not the historical district) for a while and then leave without a degree. Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah the counseling services are top notch in Atlanta I can't really speak for the savannah
    campus.

My color theory professor is still kinda lame about the whole color blindness thing though. I set up a meeting and her response was basically,"until I get this in writing I am not going to do anything". I only have two more weeks with her cockamamie keester than I am out of there!!!! ITS ABOUT TIME

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I went to SCAD Savannah from 1998-2003. Back then the Savannah campus was all there was. The school has become so big since then it's unbelievable to me. When I started in 1998 tuition was around 16k a year, which is still expensive but it's almost twice that now! That's crazy!

Anyway, it's like every other school in that you get out of it what you put into it. There are bad teachers and good teachers, etc. When I was there they were in the process of adding a bunch of new buildings and majors and stuff. We got a brand new computer art building my last year there that I barely got to take advantage of.

I don't really have much to add to the conversation I guess, I just wanted to chime in with my ramblings. I'm probably gonna go visit Savannah next time I'm on the east coast, see how it's changed since I was there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Almost 16k twice? Pffft. It's almost thrice that now (I'm talking about before scholarships/aid, of course, but I don't have any of that).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tuition for undergrad, according to their website, is a little over 30k/year.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's their website? I'm currently attending SCAD right now, so I think I would know what my bills look like... =_=

Then again, all college websites can be misleading; in one area or another. But I know better than to take what a website says word for word.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 9