Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

I'm so lost and confused...plz advice me

Hi everyone,

I'm Charmaine from Singapore and I'm new to this forum. After reading this thread http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=144069 about the back story of Jason Manley. I feel envied that Jason was able to overcome his difficulties as for my case I'm different...I faced alot of family problems and they 're confusing me in my mind and heart and I need someone to give advices on what should I do...

Here's my backstory,

I fell in love with drawing when I was pre school and everytime I drew; my father will ended up scolding me; telling me things like "Entertainment Art has no future" and "Stop wasting time drawing this crap" I know its sounds offensive when I said that but during that time back in Singapore in the 1990s, Entertainment Art has not built up but I still drew. I used jap manga comics as my guide and most of my drawings are all manga styles.

I was so in love with drawings that I was reluctant to give it up and made up my mind in going to Art school to pursue my passion. But sadly it didn't turn out the way I want it after I completed my Secondary School years. I told my parents; I wanted to go straight to Art school rather than going to polytechinc but they strongly objected and forced me to go into Engineering courses instead. I tried to fight back but I was afraid that I might offended my parents so I give in.

The days in polytechnic was not enjoyable for me. My engineering skills wasn't good and so was my grades! And my whole entire textbooks were vandalized with my drawings. Even my friends and teachers always ask me this very same question to me "You should have gone to Art school if you loved drawings so much..why did you end up in Engineering class?" After wasting 3 years in poly; I graduated with horrible grades.

I can no longer lived or listened to my parents making decisions for me all the time. They never let me make my own decisions or understand how I feel even though I'm already old. And everytime I want to make my own choice, my parents will ended up scolding me saying that I'm immature, making wrong choices, and I should listen to them as they know more than me.

Now that I had graduated from art school on 2010, I feel that my drawing skills improved only slightly but not up to gaming industries standards and in my view, it still looks like children drawings! I tried to self learn during the 3 years in the school but couldn't due to overloading school works. Till now I had no luck in finding jobs on Entertainment Arts because my portfolio isn't strong. And alot of people said if you had contacts is easy but the thing is I do had contacts but the contacts as in the company phone numbers but I don't know anyone inside the company nor I had friends or relatives working in this Entertainment line..

My father said I chose the wrong choice for my future career and my relatives said I'm incapable of taking care of my family. I feel hurt, angered and confused on what I should do. My father said I should go work and forget about improving my skills.

I don't know if I should give up on this passion of mine and go back doing office works OR I should go on upgrading myself despite my age (Another prob I'm facing is my age..I'm already in my late twenties and unemployed)

What should I do?? I feel like I let my parents down but I'm STILL reluctant to give up my passion.. I want to improve my drawing skills. Pls tell me how I should make my parents to know that I'm REALLY into this Art and won't give up until I get the job of my dreams.

PS: Sorry about my long backstory..I was so depressed that I want to pour out my troubles...
    Last edited by CharmaineVallen; July 16th, 2010 at 04:55 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 277 Posts
    You haven't lost until you've given up. I was in the same boat.

I'm so lost and confused...plz advice me

There's still time. Go do studies, right now. The Critique Center, Sketchbook and Tutorials sections will give you what you need. Look up Andrew Loomis, Vilppu, Bridgman, anything and everything you can. Find your niche. Explore. Draw. Don't stop for anyone or anything.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CharmaineVallen View Post
    I found out that multimedia was not what I expected. I admitted I made a mistake as I thought multimedia was based on gaming and stuffs but I was wrong.
    To be honest Charmaine, I cannot have any pity for you. Being spoiled enough to not do any research about what you're going to study is just plainly dumb. Apologies for the hard words, but it's true, if you had done any research you would have found out this was not the type of schooling you were looking for.

Next to that, you can't really expect to still persuade your goal by going to another type of art school, it's too late for that. There are a lot of self-learnt artists out there and there's really no reason why you'd do the exact same thing.

If I were you, my first priority would be getting a job, anything that pays good enough to buy food really. In the meanwhile put every single bit of your spare time in making art, studying art and putting yourself on the art market. There's nothing that can hold you from persuading an art career, all it takes is motivation and dedication.

I wish you best of luck Charmaine,

Thanks
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 277 Posts

Thanks
    -deleted-
    Last edited by Exasm; July 16th, 2010 at 05:21 AM. Reason: author asked me kindly to delete

Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Exasm View Post
    To be honest Charmaine, I cannot have any pity for you. Being spoiled enough to not do any research about what you're going to study is just plainly dumb. Apologies for the hard words, but it's true, if you had done any research you would have found out this was not the type of schooling you were looking for.
    Thanks for the harsh words. I admitted that I'm dumb but I'm not being spoiled or anything and I wasn't born in a rich family and I was taught to learn the hard way. But during my time, there was only 3 art schools available and the good ones came after i studied there for a year.

But thanks for the comment

Thanks
    Thanks for the harsh words. I admitted that I'm dumb but I'm not being spoiled or anything and I wasn't born in a rich family and I was taught to learn the hard way. But during my time, there was only 3 art schools available and the good ones came after i studied there for a year.

But thanks for the comment
    'Spoiled' was probably a bad word choice, but atleast my point got across.

Thanks
    Done, you should delete the quotation though. As for the rest, take a break sometime, you don't have to be constantly aggrevate yourself because things won't work out. Art is not just work, it's a lifestyle supposedly making you happy in some sort of way.

Thanks
    Done, you should delete the quotation though. As for the rest, take a break sometime, you don't have to be constantly aggrevate yourself because things won't work out. Art is not just work, it's a lifestyle supposedly making you happy in some sort of way.
    Thanks! XD But errrr..how do you delete a post? I'm new..

I feel alot better after reading your post. I'm grateful that my school teaches me the basic knowledge of all art application but in order to master it, it all depends on me. Guess I go work first and make use of my spare time to self learn. I believe I can find the job of my dream if i practise everday

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crossmirage View Post
    Oh yes, I might as well link you to Mindcandyman's inspirational sketchbook as well.
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks! XD But errrr..how do you delete a post? I'm new..
    Haha, I'm new as well. Just edit the post and delete out the quotation, like I did. There's a button somewhere at each of your posts.

Guess I go work first and make use of my spare time to self learn. I believe I can find the job of my dream if i practise everday
    That's the spirit! We're sort of in the same shell there, after the summer I'll be having lessons again (none art related). And I'll be sacrificing most of my spare time (and sleep, haha) to create, study and enjoy art.

Make sure to post your sketches and creations here on CA and thoroughly read all the critics you receive. Read books, watch dvd's, acquire inspiration from other artists, converse with other artists. Y'know, the usual stuff.

Thanks
    Haha, I'm new as well. Just edit the post and delete out the quotation, like I did. There's a button somewhere at each of your posts.

That's the spirit! We're sort of in the same shell there, after the summer I'll be having lessons again (none art related). And I'll be sacrificing most of my spare time (and sleep, haha) to create, study and enjoy art.

Make sure to post your sketches and creations here on CA and thoroughly read all the critics you receive. Read books, watch dvd's, acquire inspiration from other artists, converse with other artists. Y'know, the usual stuff.
    Thanks again. After reading your post, I actually went into a DEEP thought. I told myself even if I go and upgrade myself in another art school, whether there's improvement in my art progress depends on me. School is like a guidance, teaching us the basics/foundations but if we REALLY want to improve ourselves is to self learn and practise everyday. I finally snapped myself out of it and my mind was refreshed!

Thank you so much for waking me up from my troubles I'll create my sketckbook on the forum soon, do visit and give me strong critics.

Btw, you mentioned Loomis in your sketckbook. Is it Andrew Loomis? Man...I always want to buy his books but its so expensive. And no bookstores in Singapore is selling his books anymore..but someone was kind to post a link to get his books in PDF format on your sketckbook thread but the thing I don't know whether its the whole series..

Thanks
    I understand how you feel, my situation was different but for various reasons I ended up spiting my computer science degree and wishing I had gone to art school instead. You best chance now is finding a job which leaves some time to study and exercise, and use every bit of spare time for art. Nothing says "I'm serious about this" like showing real commitment and hard work in front of difficulties.

But you need to stay rational and get over regret. Regret over important choices like these is useless and extremely dangerous too. Shit happens. You made a mistake, but appearently it hasn't killed you wish to draw. You haven't "wasted" three years since you got a degree with which you can look for a wider range of jobs, which nowadays is a very useful thing to have no matter what you want to do later. If you just graduated you are still quite young so there is plenty of time to learn art. It could have been much worse.

Thanks
    Thanks again. After reading your post, I actually went into a DEEP thought. I told myself even if I go and upgrade myself in another art school, whether there's improvement in my art progress depends on me. School is like a guidance, teaching us the basics/foundations but if we REALLY want to improve ourselves is to self learn and practise everyday. I finally snapped myself out of it and my mind was refreshed!

Thank you so much for waking me up from my troubles I'll create my sketckbook on the forum soon, do visit and give me strong critics.
    I'm glad you changed your mindset. And I'll be happy to visit your sketchbook every once in a while to watch your evolving! I'll be careful criticizing though, I'm very new to drawing myself (I can critic just fine on designs though, but that's a whole 'nother story).

Btw, you mentioned Loomis in your sketckbook. Is it Andrew Loomis? Man...I always want to buy his books but its so expensive. And no bookstores in Singapore is selling his books anymore..but someone was kind to post a link to get his books in PDF format on your sketckbook thread but the thing I don't know whether its the whole series..
    Loomis' book has already expired copyright date so you can download it anywhere without being illegal. But I'd still download it if it were illegal, who cares about that nowadays.. I'll admit I have some downloaded art videos right here. Loomis' books can be found on any torrent or warez site, I believe you can even find it by googling a minute or 3! Btw, the whole series consists of 4 books, if I'm not mistaking.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Seems like now you need to get some non-art job that would allow you to have some free time for learning art. Many people here are self-taught and they still reach professional level. Takes more effort but it's doable. You can convince your parents that you won't give up by not giving up.

Thanks
    Loomis' book has already expired copyright date so you can download it anywhere without being illegal. But I'd still download it if it were illegal, who cares about that nowadays.. I'll admit I have some downloaded art videos right here. Loomis' books can be found on any torrent or warez site, I believe you can even find it by googling a minute or 3! Btw, the whole series consists of 4 books, if I'm not mistaking.
    Hmmm...that means i got the whole series....heehee

Thanks
    You can see Loomis' books here http://fineart.sk/index.php?cat=1 without having to download them.

And Exasm, if something is illegal there are probably very good reasons why it is. Like if you are downloading art videos and taking money away from the people who made them. I'm sure they would care if you were downloading their videos illegally.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp! View Post
    I'm sure they would care if you were downloading their videos illegally.
    Frankly that's not my problem. Please don't try to be some morally correct knight here, people on the internet most likely don't care about your opinion on downloading. Next to that, I won't believe you if you tell me that everything that you own digitally is legal.

Besides, facts point out 'piracy' increases sale and popularity nine out of ten times. Downloaded music for example has a far bigger chance to sell, same goes for art books and movies.

But that's not what this topic's about anyway, I'm not here to start a pointless discussion, apologies for this offtopic post, but I felt like defending myself.

Thanks
    Frankly that's not my problem.
    So as long as you get what you want it doesn't matter that someone else has to suffer for you? Also whether or not a book, film or album is given away for free to get better sales should be for the publisher to decide. Not some selfish git who isn't willing to pay up.

And I don't care if you believe me or not but I everything I own is legal. Digital or otherwise.

Thanks
    So as long as you get what you want it doesn't matter that someone else has to suffer for you?
    Survival of the fittest. Get used to it. And depends on how you define 'suffer', I'm doing them a favor really.

...for the publisher to decide...
    Like I said, I'm doing the publisher a favor. He should be thanking me really. I can't feel guilty for helping someone to be honest.

And I don't care if you believe me or not but I everything I own is legal. Digital or otherwise.
    Haha.

Now, ontopic again, I like having the last word.

Thanks
    Cool.. right.. whatever..

Obviously the world is much better because of you.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,698 Times in 4,609 Posts
    Frankly that's not my problem. Please don't try to be some morally correct knight here, people on the internet most likely don't care about your opinion on downloading. Next to that, I won't believe you if you tell me that everything that you own digitally is legal.

Besides, facts point out 'piracy' increases sale and popularity nine out of ten times. Downloaded music for example has a far bigger chance to sell, same goes for art books and movies.

But that's not what this topic's about anyway, I'm not here to start a pointless discussion, apologies for this offtopic post, but I felt like defending myself.
    Mind your butt on your way out while you read this.

Thanks
    Could you please stop posting here for at least a half of year?..
    Your attitude, your art, and (I assume) your experience don't subordinate each other.
    That's fine if you're somewhere between 14 and 16 years old, but most of the people here are older
    and their advices will bring much more to discussion than your attempts at being a know-it-all.
    kthxbai

Thanks
    It's really awesome Exasm that your trying help someone and put them in the right mindset.

However...when it comes to 'piracy' issues and illegal stuff, just kind of mind your tongue here.

Thanks
    Hi CharmaineVallen,
    I'll echo what's already been said. Grab a job first to save some money (they are useful), meanwhile keep drawing by the side.

If you need figure drawing books. I can give you a copy of Albinus on Anatomy and Dynamic Figure Drawing by Burne Hogarth, for free. That's if you're into figure drawing. Just send me a private message here.

You should check out http://www.oicsingapore.com/wordpress/ also. You can join some of their drawing sessions.
    Last edited by Parka81; July 16th, 2010 at 10:19 AM.
    Parka Blogs <- Most dangerous blog for artists (and their wallets).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ikken View Post
    Could you please stop posting here for at least a half of year?..
    Your attitude, your art, and (I assume) your experience don't subordinate each other.
    That's fine if you're somewhere between 14 and 16 years old, but most of the people here are older
    and their advices will bring much more to discussion than your attempts at being a know-it-all.
    kthxbai
    I understand why you dislike my attitude, regarding the offtopic posts, but it kinda surprises me you quoted the post which the author was thankful for. We even got along pretty well... And I don't see why I wouldn't be able to 'advice' the topic starter, life experience doesn't come with only art.

Anyway, peeps, I apologize for starting a discussion. I don't necessarily support piracy, I'm just saying it's very common nowadays and we shouldn't be picky about it. Enough of that though, like I said, I'm not here to start a discussion, I'd rather go ontopic now.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    I'll just leave this here:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/faq..._new_faq_item3

This forum does not tolerate inquiring about and/or advocating the use of pirated software. Anyone doing so will be banned.

Anyone else want to open their mouths?

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Survival of the fittest. Get used to it.
    Wow, talk about irony.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,434 Times in 2,935 Posts
    I'm glad you changed your mindset. And I'll be happy to visit your sketchbook every once in a while to watch your evolving! I'll be careful criticizing though, I'm very new to drawing myself (I can critic just fine on designs though, but that's a whole 'nother story).

Wow. Now that sure was smart.

Another pirate crushed by the ban hammer of CA's dark knight. We need a pic of a search light shining in the clouds like bat man but with a hammer on it instead of a bat.

j

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,434 Times in 2,935 Posts

This is false. Piracy on CA caused CA to almost close. It has cost us a lot of money to keep it under control so the community can stay online and free. You advocate stealing from other ca artists, and that is unacceptable. What if it was your video? If it was your artwork you would be going ballistic. But a video of the artwork is ok to steal?

Piracy kills video sales, not increases them...not in any way at all. It simply destroys the sales numbers. Trust me on that.

I respond to this for that reason...even though I know he/she has been banned already. Do not for a second think that piracy is making this place better. CA's antipiracy effort is of the most comprehensive in the field and without it, without stopping it, you would not be here on this site right now...period.

Carry on plz. I gotta go pick up Ilaekae from the bus stop.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast