Cartoon Bird - border line of cartoon and realistic weight
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Cartoon Bird - border line of cartoon and realistic weight

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Cartoon Bird - border line of cartoon and realistic weight

I'm trying to make a 2D portfolio with in a week. I need to show more cartoon drawings, but I'm having a bit of an argument with a friend about this one. She says to move the head back so it is straight. I want it angled so it has more of a pose than just dead straight profile view. So how far is pushing it with cartoons, when it comes to stylized cartoons and reality weight? Also which of the two pictures below is better?

Name:  duckie2.png
Views: 1027
Size:  141.2 KB
    Name:  duckie3.png
Views: 839
Size:  130.9 KB

Oh and I was inspired by this:
    http://actinglikeanimals.files.wordp...1472699868.jpg
    Too cute. :3

Thanks for any critiques.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I personally feel there is little difference between the two pieces but if I had to choose, the 2nd is better in my eyes. Its defo cute! Maybe you could draw a piece that has more than one of these little birdies in with each in a different pose. Some in flight, some looking around and some pecking at the ground. That way, you solve the argument with your friend and also show potential clients that you are capable of drawing the same character in different poses.

I would spend longer on making a portfolio than a week... a portfolio is one of those strange things that are never finished and you spend a life time changing, adding to and taking away from. You should also have more than one (so to speak) or tailor you main one towards getting the sort of commissioned work you want to get.

I hope I was helful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the issue at hand is one of balance. The bird's legs are standing almost perfectly straight, so having the head tilted that much makes it look like the bird is about to fall over. If that's the look you're going for, that's fine, but it has to be intentional. Alternatively, you could keep the head the way it is, but reposition one or both legs (in the same direction as the tilted head) to balance the bird.
    I think even if it is a cartoon style, you still have to abide by general laws of balance/physics, otherwise it makes it look amateur/childish.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oops, double-post.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.