Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: General Traditional Medium Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts

General Traditional Medium Thread

Good idea? Maybe.

Just discuss traditional mediums. The thread will move with however the discussion goes.

To start:

General Traditional Medium Thread

I've never had ink that smells worse than this. Seriously it smells toxic.

Also: Is there a GOOD way to clean a chamois? And if soap and water IS the right way, what's the good way to DRY a chamois so it's back to it's old self (as much as possible)?
    Last edited by Psychotime; July 16th, 2010 at 12:43 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Oh gods, I've used that ink...yeah it does smell pretty nasty. And mine ended up congealing after awhile...needless to say I will not be buying that kind again.
    Critters! Dinosaurs! Lovecraftian horrors! ~~~~~> My creature sculpting thread!
    The Savage Goldfish Blog

"I started to see human beings as little lonesome, water-based pink meat, life forms pushing air through themselves and making noises that the other little pieces of meat seemed to understand."
    -Devin Townsend

Thanks
    Well I DO have the receipt (I think).

I'mma go back and buy something better smelling.

Thanks
    I have a tendency of gathering materials, so I've collected a few inks. I've picked up FW Acrylic Artist Ink, Winsor and Newton Ink (watercolor), and black sumi ink by Yasutomo. All have a little to slight smell, with the worst being the sumi ink, but even the worst of the three is still pretty mild. I've also tried various Deleter Black inks (best place to get is Akadot.com), where at least one does smell but should be pretty good. You might want to check out the first three, pretty easy to find in most art stores.

Can't help with the chamois.
    "It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who
    sketchbook :: my dA gallery :: my art blog :: old sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,200 Times in 1,055 Posts
    I've never had much luck with any of the Higgins inks, they're usually too watery for anything I want to do... (though their regular non-calligraphy inks don't have a significant stink, that I can notice.)

I like the Speedball Super-Black a the moment, it handles pretty well... I guess it has some smell, but it's not overpowering (unless the ink gets old - then it starts to stink.)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 870 Posts
    Windsor Newton was my brand back when I was into pen & ink. Pretty serviceable stuff, stayed useful for a long time, so unless I wanted to do something really special I'd probably stick with that. There's something to be said for reliability.

On another, related, topic, I picked up one of those Pentel brush pens with the bristles and ink cartridges, but I haven't had a chance to really go out and play with it (probably won't for another week or two). What are others' experiences with it?
    The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    The Winsor Newton coloured inks always looked like they'd taste really nice if I drank them. I kind of liked the smell, too. Alas, they've put the price of their gouache paint up so they've fallen from my favour.

I've swapped to Daler Rowney for now; they flow more smoothly than W&N, but not so light fast.

Thanks
    Speedball just might become my main brand now.

Anyone try to draw with lettering nibs?

And how about that rolling tissue paper downward to clean up the ink without smearing trick?

EDIT: I don't recommend it.
    Last edited by Psychotime; July 21st, 2010 at 12:28 AM.

Thanks
    I've tried inking with lettering nibs! I just handled them like I do for calligraphy. That way, they create the same type of thick-and-thin lines. Too bad I suck at inking, or the results could have been really nice.

I hadn't heard about the rolling tissue paper trick, although I did learn how to avoid smudges while using a ruler to ink. Saved my life!

While I'm here, I'll re-post a question from that came up in a WIP thread of mine. If paints and digital art are better than colored pencils for learning how to mix color, then what about watercolor pencils? (usagi-a's original post is here, and the post s/he was responding to is here.)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to furiana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I read about the toilet paper trick in middle school, but it didn't work well at all when I tried it a few hours ago. It still smears a little bit and kills the ink's luster. At least my Speedball anyway.

I don't recommend it.

Thanks
    What's a good watercolor brand?

(And why's it so expensive?)

Thanks
    I've drawn with calligraphy nibs before, it can make for some interesting looks but it's not really my thing. I prefer my Rapidograph pens, although they are terribly fussy, they're well worth the hassle.

I'm not sure what would be a good watercolour brand though, I haven't messed around with them much. I think van Gogh is supposed to be pretty good. Whatever you do though, don't buy the cheap kinds like Lowe-Cornell. I like their brushes, but their watercolour (and acrylic) paints have given me nothing but grief. (And what are you talking about, all quality art supplies seem to be pretty expensive...)
    Critters! Dinosaurs! Lovecraftian horrors! ~~~~~> My creature sculpting thread!
    The Savage Goldfish Blog

"I started to see human beings as little lonesome, water-based pink meat, life forms pushing air through themselves and making noises that the other little pieces of meat seemed to understand."
    -Devin Townsend

Thanks
    Hi guys,

I've really been gravitating toward charcoal pencil in my life drawing sessions lately. I've been using the Faber Castell Pitt charcoal pencils for a few months and I like the feel of them just fine, so I haven't tried any other brands. But, I'm the kind of guy who is VERY particular about pencils and always tend to favor one brand over the others, so I'm curious if there's something better. Obviously it's a totally subjective preference, but anybody use these and have a recommendation?

Of course I could just make a trip to the art store and grab a bunch to try them out, which I plan to do, but won't have time to go until this weekend. Plus, it might be the case that my local art store does not carry the holy grail of charcoal pencils... so I thought that I would go ahead and ask since this thread exists!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast