Thread: Street Artists

Thanks

Street Artists

I've been thinking about trying to draw people in town for some $$. You know, the whole street artist portrait guy thing. I was wondering if anyone had any experience or advice they could share, maybe post some samples of the type of work they did, or anything else related to the subject of hanging around on the street and making a little cash drawing...

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I've drawn caricatures at a theme park before... and basically, the worst things you will ever draw will be in public with dozens of people watching. But, the thing is, the things you hate are usually what the general public love. Vice Versa as well, the drawings you really like are usually not well received. People like crap, and lots of people are jerks about it because they're paying you... like they're art directors or something.

It's a learning experience, it definitely toughens your skin, and improves your confidence to put yourself out on the line like that.

Thanks
    heres what i do:

i take the ferry in (30 mins) to uni quite early. I approach someone and say "do you mind if i draw your portrait?" (if they look skeptical tell them your an art student). Then take about 10 mins if u can. Show them. Then switch sides of the ferry, do it again (out of eyesight of the 1st person). I arrive at the bus stop about 15 mins before the bus, do it again. Then i do another outside the university before i go in. Thats 4 on the way in, 4 on the way back. (I do more if i have a long lunch or w/e). I find that your WAY more likely to get $$ if you dont say anything about money, but pick your targets well. Get to know what sort of people are likely to pay you. If you advertise or set up like a stall, people hate being forced into a particualr fee, and it also puts the spotlight on them, they dont want to be the centre of attantion.

Also, if you do it on public transport people cant just walk by you. Even if you dont catch public transport, try to go to places where people are already stopped (outdoor cafe's etc).

Out of those 8 i do a day, usually about 4-5 will pay me something if its decent quality. The rest are free practice. Get into it! This way it also circumnavigates busking laws.

Thanks

nice

cool guys, either of you got samples of the kinds of work you did? would love to see.

Cotron- at the amusement park, how long would you take per drawing?

Thanks for sharing guys..

Thanks
    to tellyou the truth i get all zen when i do the portraits. if they dont pay me i usually just give them the picture

as a general rule though, likeness is more important than shading/technique, so work on nailing the proportions and quirks of your subject.