Halo art contest pieces
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Halo art contest pieces

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Halo art contest pieces

So I've got these 3 pieces for the Halo contest. Only 1 can be submitted, and in my personal group of friends and contacts, 2 is winning the day so far.

Got some good critiques on 1 & 3 from a friend and I decided I should toss them up here to get more feedback.

I will be putting a bit more detail into the close-background of 3 (detail on the shadowy dude for example), and in 1 I will try to improve the detailing on the hologram stand.

Those were the suggestions I received from a friend, however more would be appreciated, especially on #2, as it is the one that I'll be submitting for the contest.

Onto pics

#2 is personally my favorite, and I think #3 could be getting there after I add some more detail to the close-background. #1 I think is alright, but I think it suffers from some composition issues I didn't really catch(or pay attention to) in early work.

edit: bah I can't get my image to show up on the thread listing.

Name:  halo-contest-2_sized.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  75.0 KB

Last edited by Slade_Templar; July 21st, 2010 at 02:27 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have to use the attachment manager to have a thumbnail show up in your thread.

I know next to nothing about Halo other than that I suck at it, so keep that in mind, but I'll still try to critique these as best as I can.

The figure's (stage) left arm is looking very stiff and unnaturally straight. The other eyeballs outside of the center could be moved around to better spots to improve the composition. I also agree that this one is the weakest of the three.

You could expand the sides a little more to give the piece more breathing room. As it is now, his (stage) left arm is looking kind of squished, as if he's moving his arm in just to fit within the frame. There is also something unsymmetrical about the head that he's holding, but I'm not sure.

It'll be interesting how you fill the background, as right now it's a bit confusing to me.
    The creature seems random. It look's like a noisy creature because it's mouth is open, but the figure seems like he wants to stay stealthy and quiet.

Overall great detail on all the pictures so far, personally I like #2 as well.
    (Haha I'm not sure why you listed the numbers like that but I almost ordered my critiques wrong.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crit skMOP,

#1 agree on the pose, probably should have found a picture or taken one in the desired pose. Eyeballs are a bit bottom heavy, might move one to the top.

#2 contest has a size restriction of 3.5x6", so as much as I'd like to open it up with some more space I can't unless I just scale it down. Worked initially in pencil on 8.5x11 on this one, probably a mistake since it didn't scale well into the required size.

#3 the creature next to the spartan is dead, at least its supposed to look that way (lol). There is blood behind it on the wall, and on the spartan's fist, also streaming out of the things eye... maybe that needs more contrast (I mean, I guess it does if you don't notice!). I don't want to add too much detail in the background, because then the piece just isn't very focused at all. I think that may be why #2 is my favorite, as the composition is kind of 'punch you in the face'. #3 seems a bit more scattered, and you really have to read the excerpt to know whats going on.

All 3 of these are based on excerpts found http://halo.xbox.com/en-us//transmis...ty-Art-Contest

glad you like them overall, and I'll try to get the attachment working.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.