Sketchbook: crawling out of the woodwork - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Look how much you draw while i was not watching!! ^^
    I think you are going in the right direction, I see your line becoming more and more fluid in your gesture drawings. The last poses looks more real and interesting too. Good work!!

*Sketchbook*

I have a Blog!

I wander on Deviantart
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! Intense studying! you're getting a hang of toning and colouring! I would love to see further progresses. And the compositions in some of your sketching studies, although not planned - is pretty awesome. Keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you bleo and alice! hearing those comments is really encouraging, gotta work harrrrrdderrrr and improve more.

sadly though today was a bad art day for me. i woke up 5 hours late (lol) and everything went downhill from there.

here's pages from yesterday:
    crawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodwork

... and pages from today i was really just not functioning well today. i was going to go study lower legs, but as i was drawing a warmup figure i realized i didn't understand the deltoid/clavicle relation and did that instead... but then the figures after that just looked strange and.... ehh. i got tired and did bad silhouette type things instead (like brainpoop). just.. not a good day.
    crawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodwork

Last edited by zzyzx; August 5th, 2010 at 03:15 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aww Z its looking sweet, I love the work ethic!!!!

only critique would be i think you could push you thumbnails a lot further, your sketching them all the same basic body shape and just making small changes to clothes. thumbs are normally more about defining the silhouette of your character and while clothes are part of it body shape is almost more important to begin with, how big are the arms, legs, body in relation to every thing else. I just think you could do with some major variation in shape to start and as you find shapes you like make smaller changes until you get what you want

hope it helps!

"Simon, believe in yourself. Not in the Simon that you believe in, and not in the Simon that I believe in either. Believe in the Simon who believes in you"
    - Kamina, Gurren Lagann

My Sketchbook
    My old Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow lots of studies, awesome! Doing stuff from mind is always great practice. It's also cool that you're tackling environments. It looks like you're straight on the white canvas though since I can see the white show beneath the paint in some of the enviro studies. I think if you tone the canvas first (usually by paint bucketing the dominant color--often the sky) and work your way from back to front you'll get better results. Here's one of my lame speedies that I saved the steps of to explain what I mean.

crawling out of the woodwork

1. Tone the canvas with the sky color (no white spots)
    2. Start from the back and work my forward using big blocky shapes
    3. Keep working towards the front, adding foreground elements like the lame trees.
    4. Just add details, refine etc.

I hope it helps! Anyway, keep it up, the silhouettes are looking dynamic and the characters are cool!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eddieee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks a lot for that Eddie! i'll definitely do that next time i attempt landscape-type enviros.
    and yea oates ahah you got me. the thumbnails are the worst in that post IMO, don't even resemble humans. but yea i do also have trouble with different body types, something to work on

today was another bad day for me... :| i didn't do much at all either, but i swear tomorrow i will be up to speed and cranking stuff out! today all i felt like doing was watching movies, eating food.. and drawing straight lines. ._. it's because i woke up late again and slept at the wrong time... when i wake up badly it affects my whole day.

really didn't do much today oh and i forgot to resize the sketchbook page down there, lol sorry. the digi 'enviro' thing was perspective practice.

crawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodwork

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    every time i get discouraged, i lurk around on inspirational people's threads on cA ad think, hey, if they did it i can do it too! i'm just not working in the right way, i need to focus more and study harder.
    today i woke up late again, but i was more motivated today and actually went to learn things about muscles... thanks to posemaniacs! the girl down there i did for a friend... the lines looked a lot better. i realized i still don't know anything about painting (i think i approached it wrong) so i did a quick study afterwards.. i always go too high contrast/weird shadow tones on things from my head..
    crawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodwork

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    schweet. jealous much.

just remember pose maniacs are 3d models so the muscles don't deform properly like they do in real life, which reminds me why am i not practicing people!

I've almost got all those books (grrr slow Internet) any you recommend? where should i start?

Last edited by Oatestwder; August 7th, 2010 at 08:03 AM.
    "Simon, believe in yourself. Not in the Simon that you believe in, and not in the Simon that I believe in either. Believe in the Simon who believes in you"
    - Kamina, Gurren Lagann

My Sketchbook
    My old Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Oates - i actually haven't read through most of the books in that file, only the really noted ones haha. i'd recommend starting with loomis to get you a basic understanding of muscles... when you're fairly comfortable/bored go for bridgman, he has a really fluid way of breaking down the body into shapes. if you're having trouble piecing together things/creating believable poses, etc, go for hogarth, and if you're weak in gesture check out vilpuu. for references, human anatomy for artists is a really good book since they use pictures of real people (although IMO they're kind of scary).

i got home late today, so i didn't have much time to draw.. but i went back to my roots and picked up a nice pencil instead of a pen for a change.
    my scanner isn't too great.

crawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodwork

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I adore your line quality. Great stuff here, definitely watching! But watch out for transitions between the torso and lower body, especially when they're turning at odd angles. The two parts seem to be separated in some of the sketches.

Sketchbook

NaidyBlack SpotEyestrainVK

“This is [...] where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares.” --Jason Rainville

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @krysjez - aw thanks :3 i kind of wish my line quality was a bit cleaner though. and hmm i definitely see what you mean. thanks!

from the past few days, been preoccupied preparing things for school... >< for anything rendered here... the values are kind of messed up because my scanner takes away a lot of the light gray values, and adjusting the values kind of destroys it too. everything here is nonreffed except the faces in the first page and the page of torsos down there somewhere.

crawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodwork

WATCH THIS VIDEO LOL. it's so inappropriate but... throughout it couldn't help but think, wow, this is really great torso ref. and it is! i and... honestly the song is kind of catchy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, really great drawings! The imagination stuff is really impressive. Good luck starting school.

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice new sketchdump! I see you have good knowledge of anatomy and the poses look good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yooo. The mind figs are looking nice! The ones on the fourth page have good rhythm. The perspective stuff above is looking good too, but the dude's heads (the ones sitting down) are kinda big? I know it's minor but that proportion error takes away from the cool perspective. I'm taking Entertainment Design btw, what class are you taking? My buddy Miles (lightmode108 on CA) goes to the same class. We go to the library a lot so maybe we've seen you around or something (unless you take a morning class since ours is afternoon).

Anyway good work with the poses. I'd recommend Kevin Chen but you kinda use the same construction method so you've probably already studied his stuff. Keep it uppp! Getting better all the time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice sb so far those pencil sketches are pretty cool just try to concentrate a bit more on anatomy.. i also want to visit accd so keep us updated if u get accepted..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    vertical - thanks! yea i'm kind of worried about starting school, i'll need to organize my time better
    zeitwolf - thanks! eheh but i have a looooong way to go
    eddie - unfortunately i'm taking a morning class D: figure drawing from 9-12 lol. does AC have good references in the library? haven't really checked that out, damn i wish next week wasn't the last week of class oh and yea i haven't looked at kchen's stuff in a while, but his demos are really good for structural practice.
    eric-anthony - thanks, i'm working on it! and yea will do

scanning stuff tomorrow, all i have to show for myself today is this lame pear lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wish it was a pear and not just a representation of a pear. then you could eat it, wow that would be sweet if you could draw yourself a meal. I wouldn't have to cook!!

- Kamina, Gurren Lagann

My Sketchbook
    My old Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very naiz sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The AC library probably has a lot of good ref, but I only check out artbooks lol. Yeah last class this weekend

Anyway the pear (or not o_o) is looking nice and solid but I think the highlights are too white and the shadows too black. I think the shadow should have some green to due to reflected light, but I don't know what your lighting setup was so maybe it did look like that.
    Looking forward to the scans!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oates - dude that totally would. that would be like dream come true
    timaz - thank you!
    eddie - yea you're right actually, the lighting wasn't as dramatic.. i got tired after a while and started squibbling lines everywhere, and making the darks too dark and the lights too light..

eheh no scans today ,_, did everything digitally today... i need to work on those faces
    lots of random characters and a study. when i don't think while drawing, i always tend to revert partly back to anime . i think it's because i was stuck in anime so long that my hand is just used to certain lines.. and it's really taking effort to get out of habit. the enviro-sort thing i did looks just like the other one for some reason, i think i inadvertently placed my vanishing points in the same places. i need to learn more about buildings and other structures...the buildings i have in it look kind of silly and my minipeople are weirdly proportioned again

damn animu influences aghhhh

Last edited by zzyzx; August 13th, 2010 at 02:15 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    was out most of today, only was able to do 1 page
    crawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodwork

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woahhhh your anatomy skills are sick. How long have you been studying it to get that good? :|
    Needless to say, I love your sketchbook. And I lol'd at the penis face that looks like a Jim Henson puppet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @sulphur; lol thanks, i still have a looot to learn DX

was out again today, a small post :C
    did on iscribble.net, fun but gave me hand cramps. lol look there's anime

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi!! I think you are doing fine! You draw, you study, you keep posting...dont stress you out too much, somethimes it happens that you are tired, or that you dont have the *right flow*...just stress out and have fun, for me it helps (when u remember it ^^)
    Nice works btw, love the girls in post 41!

*Sketchbook*

I have a Blog!

I wander on Deviantart

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 643 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey , great sketchbook so far. Very enjoyable to look through, you've got a good attitude and a passion for art which will get you far.
    One thing though, hold up with that whole "I suck so I must study and not have any fun because I suck, CA is a bootcamp, draw till I die, study etc" stuff. Chill for a bit and take a day break from those studies to paint or draw from your imagination. Yep, a whole day. Can you survive it? ;P Really just go back to your roots and what you enjoy drawing, your inspirations and create a couple of finished pieces from the mind.

Really don't be over critical of yourself and draw for the fun of it, sure always aim to improve, but do it by having fun. This is something I didn't do and it nearly drove me insane haha

I can really relate to what you're doing so if you ever want to chat, want help or want to OC then just add me on msn

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Nibras For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @AliceA - thank you! yea i always go through periods of intense drawing, and then a few days of bad drawing/recuperation... makes me feel unproductive
    @lilnebo- thanks for the advice! i do do stuff from imagination a lot actually, but i have the problem of being too lazy /unsatisfied to finish anything.. studies are a bit easier in that aspect haha. and i don't have msn, but maybe i'll go get it now

went to vegas for a week / got addicted to a drama. today's my first full day back in art mode, but i got distracted and read scary stories / cleaned my room instead. :C

i have the problem of drawing too fast and inaccurately, so i always have to go over with more precise lines and things get messier. it'd be wonderful if i was fast and accurate. ... i think i should start really consciously slowing down and paying attention to every line i place.

pm / figures from mind
    on tegaki, for fun

Last edited by zzyzx; August 25th, 2010 at 02:50 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay update!!
    I think you will be fast and precise after a lot of practice...or so I guess it's how it works XD
    So just keep drawing!

*Sketchbook*

I have a Blog!

I wander on Deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @alicea - i suppose! @__@

tomorrow is the first day of school as a senior... there's so much i need to do, aghh. SAT's being the biggest, haven't done my SATII's and don't know what to take. T_T ugh. need to gather together a portfolio and start doing finished stuff, + AP classes and etc.. just... worried about school in general. oh well.

crawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodwork

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    school started.
    crawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodworkcrawling out of the woodwork

Last edited by zzyzx; August 27th, 2010 at 01:52 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there, I'm loving your sketchbook
    SO MANY STUDIES
    You're well on your way, just keep up the good work!

Take a look? - Sketchbook - Tumblr - Etsy
    Also, why not check these guys too?

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1