IDW # 131 : Child Leash! - VOTING
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite entry in this round of IDW!

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • ragtag

24 75.00%
  • Pixie Trick

8 25.00%
    Pixie Trick is offline Industrial Design of the Week Leader
    Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

IDW # 131 : Child Leash! - VOTING

-----------------------------------

IDW #129 Topic: Child Leash

Deadline for voting: Wednesday, July 21

No voting for your own entries! I repeat, no voting for your own entries

Give critiques and comments, we're all here to learn from each other!

-----------------------------------

Original thread: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=191718

Name:  IDW Logo Poll.JPG
Views: 754
Size:  7.5 KB

Last edited by Pixie Trick; July 14th, 2010 at 10:19 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

child leash

Here is my child leash. Designed to fit the needs of nerved mothers or caring fathers. It is a ultralight-metal vessel with padding on the exposed parts, so the child won't hurt itself. It is voice controlled by the authorized person (not the child). Cameras are implemented in the front section of it, which can be connected with the parents cell phone to see what their child is seeing. The vessel itself is issued with a control-glove which interacts with the back of the vessel via a tractor beam which can be easily adjusted in strenght and length.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    guns for hire - www.rmory.net

Pixie Trick is offline Industrial Design of the Week Leader
    Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, so my idea didn't gel in my attempts to draw it but I'm still gonna offer some critiques

Ragtag: The design is awesome and articulate. The lines are clean and the presentation is full and informative. However, I'm not sure it looks like something a kid would willingly put on. The design looks rather heavy and sterile, and the fact that it can chase and grab kids on its own might engender fear, nightmares, and resistance. It looks functional, but it doesn't have the obvious kiddie appeal that would suggest a kid would want to wear it. Maybe it could have been better with colorful patterns on it or a redesign to the shape for more kid appeal? Still, the fact that it's a wireless system, and that it doesn't look as if a kid could escape from it easily, make it an interesting design. It just needs the reason why a kid would wear it.

Pixie: The design is colorful and original- certainly nailing the kid-friendly appeal from the get-go. Like I mentioned in the original thread, a PR campaign or tie-in with a cartoon or something can encourage kids to wear these gleefully. The design isn't mechanical, so there's no need for portraying super-realistic parts, and the brushes worked to convey the hair. Bonus points for color variations as well. My criticism is that it relies on one wrist of a parent for one kid. You could probably get away with multiple loops on one arm, but what if the kids run separate directions? There doesn't seem to be any mention or portrayal of a wireless system. It also looks easy to escape from if a kid knows what to do. *shrug*

The topic was thoughtful and both entries were full and detailed. Sorry I couldn't get mine off the ground, I'd need more time and my initial sketches weren't promising.

Last edited by Norsehound; July 15th, 2010 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Pixie's design does have length. Didn't notice the 6'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    RagTag - Nice job demonstrating the use, I didn't read a single word you wrote and I understand what this absurd looking thing is supposed to do. You win the visual communication award, otherwise known as "the vote." The technical side is good to - oh so crisp. I would buy it if you included some sort of device to administer electo shocks to the insolent little shit.

Last edited by Majenkus; July 15th, 2010 at 06:49 AM. Reason: wanted to include the word "shit" in my post.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ragtag: First of all, your design would freaking wreak the child's psyche! Can you imagine having giant metal spiders run after you? And then grab you and make love to your back?! Nuts Secondly, it's a pretty cool illustration. Good job!

Pixi Trick: Your entry reminded me of the toy design illustrations I saw at my college (they had a toy department). I could see this being an actual back pack/leash you could buy. I gave you my vote, but it was a close one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

child leash

YES:
    I admit that this design developed while the screaming children of the neighbours penetratet my ears, so it was at start a bit of a torture instrument.

BUT:
    But as it progressed I added the soft padding all over the hard survaces, you can even see that the two top arms got additional pads to prevent the cheeks from getting into direct contact with anithing hard. It is not a metal monster, it is a ultralight hardplastic toy and playmate for the child. I would feel like I am a scifi hero when i would have weared one of these during my childhood.
    Who doesn't fancy a hightech backpack which can save your life? And the child can even ride on it

guns for hire - www.rmory.net

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice, ragtag, nice

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.