Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    Arne Mayer - thanks so much. I tried your method out. Never really tried this version and when used correctly it could save lots of time, cool...

Regarding your image I think that you have a cool lighting going on. Maybe you could try to use some deep dark saturated reds in your dark shadows to make your colors more vibrant. Maybe you could also try to make more clear if the forest is going down or receding in space...

@incinarated - I think you also could use some complements of green in your shadow other than more contrast like obilex mentioned, overall I think it´s a wonderful image, especially like the sense of scale

@thescala - Looking good, maybe you could try to make your path going through the forest to emphasize this for the brief, thanks for your help also

@dragon4lunch - really nice colors. I think Below made some great points with your composition. Overall great image

@matoohan wonderful style, colors and lighting

@Zilrion - great image, maybe some more work on your lighting would be cool

RichLyons awesome style, love it

no_name_brand - looks great so far, looking forward for some update

Jon Gibbons - looking cool, as it´s centred it looks quite stable and meditative to me

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to android411 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EOW 146 Into the woods
    I've basically repainted the whole thing, the tones were really bad, and still need to tweak! I need to correct alot of the lighting now, and add foliage and grass and leaves and flowers! I've been studying foliage like crazy, this has been a real test for me!

Q. So is it right to layer the shapes and tones from the back to the foreground or does it really matter? How do you guys do it? :p

Beelow - wow yours is coming along beautifully i love the sense of magic!

Thanks
    Thanks for all the comments..!

This is where it stands now...my first real watercolor BTW

I brought back the figure as Arne suggested, and made a some touch-ups. Really enjoying the experience!

Many an age after the ruinous wars with Lord Bane, the mighty Agarian forest is alive again. But the Agarian Elves are not who they used to be...

Thanks
    @ Arne Mayer - I couldn't help but think, is there some mismatch with the perspective? You might need to consider the viewing angle and how the road curves into the woods. Keep up the good work!

@ android 411 - Now its looking good! I feel if you can bring out the person and the ledge as foreground it will give an awesome feel of distance and depth

@ thescala - Cool use of colour, and the cartoonish effect makes it interesting. Like to see it kept in that style

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VishvaTKH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Threw in a tiny bit of color because I was bored and I fixed the right side which was popping out too much. I've made the forest too light which is one of the main problems, since it has gone the same same value range as the mountain in the background.

@Beelow I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the brushes, could you elaborate? The whole thing is with hard edge brushes so maybe I'm just blending too much?
    The Perfect Is the Enemy of the Good - Voltaire

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Threw down some quick colour. Bazinga.

Thanks
    I did that last post before bed last night and I looked at it with fresh eyes this morning and took a few minutes (after looking at a ton of paintings) to change around the composition a bit. This was done in about 5 minutes, I'll fix it up more after work.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    VishvaTKH: Watercolors are one of the toughest media to work in - but you will have a permanent piece this way. When I see a piece like yours I can't help myself but think how quickly one could through in some precise highlights and areas of detail when going digital.

I like your forest a lot! If it weren't for the skulls hanging in the tree, I would prefer wandering in that forest to wandering in mine! Great trees of personality!

Is that red riding hood?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon4lunch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Another update. ConceptArt was linking me to a 'myspace-error'-page, more of you guys had the same trouble a few hours ago?

Well, I added colors and detail. All entries are lovely, hopefully I can manage some crits next time. I will replace the humans for some trees to give the foreground more variation.

cheers!

Thanks
    xLouisax- It's dragon4lunch's Illustration. Just did a paintover for him. Push that tree to the left more to the left. Give you painting some breathing room.

jkeener- Here is a paintover. Certain brushes work well with edges. Softer edge brushes helps a little more with the blending than the hard edge brushes. But, technically you could use both to do the same thing. It's just a longer process. I am pretty sure you want to cut that time down. Couple of things I've mentioned in my crit I demostrated in my paintover. Simple shapes for winding road, bottom to clouds, big to little with tree (well kinda) and edges which I pointed out. Hope this clears up some things for you. Good luck.

Had plenty of crits but lost it, damn... I'll have some more crits later.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Beelow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My first EOW, didn't really know where I was headed, doesn't seem as magical to me, please critic!!!

My SB come and see!!!!
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...70#post2801470
    Last edited by ArghosRo; July 20th, 2010 at 05:27 PM.

Thanks
    @ dragon4lunch - Thanks! It was hard since i hadn't done so before, but think it was worth the while in the end. And I do agree upon your comment regrading digital.

BTW that figure does look like Red Riding Hood lol!...i did not intend it to be her, but some rather weary character, probably human...maybe a pilgrim looking for a way through the Agarian forest...but the road's fallen into ruin.

@ Absorber - Like the sinister feel and the menacing scale of it.

@ ArghosRho - Interesting start. Better that you correct the perspective, the angle of the road and how it adds up with the trees doesn't seem to add up. Add a bit of depth and you can demarcate well between the hedge-like wall and the woods beyond.

Thanks
    @Beelow thanks! that cleared up a few things for me. I'm still really struggling with the technical aspects of using photoshop to paint. The colors aren't coming across on the web as well as they do here...I'll try to fix that later.

I'm still messing with it..who knows

My Sketchbook

Thanks

More work in Progress

Nice update guys, thanks for the comments here's more of mine in develpoment. I'm getting close to the end here so I'm gonna start with the rally cars.

android411 Just a small Crit, watch your saturated colours there very vibrant right now. Especially in the background. Try this out and see how it looks to you. desaturate the background colour of the yellow Orange and change the green on the right to the orange that you have in the middle section. you can desaturate it by making a colour layer with a soft brus (at 30-40 opacity perhaps lower) glaze over top of the background. Then add another value to the trees next animal drinking water. Also watch your contrast in the areas that are not the focal point.
    Last edited by no_name_brand; July 20th, 2010 at 11:32 PM.
    "the Hispanic mechanic?"

20. The Following User Says Thank You to no_name_brand For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    no_name_brand
    That's looking feckin awesome man, beautiful work. Love the colour palette too

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Mephistoau For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast